HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

restricted free agent theft GET READY

Old
06-29-2006, 02:30 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94
How long do you have to keep the player if you match a RFA offer sheet? For some reason I thought you couldn't deal him for an entire season.
That's a great point. I just assumed a sign-and-trade was allowed. If you're right, then what I wrote is just nonsense.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 03:30 AM
Ford Prefect

For what it's worth these are the guys I'd target:

Eric Staal* - Carolina has loads of cap space, almost undoubtedly match

Marian Gaborik* - Minnesota also has a lot of cap room, but have demonstrated an unwillingness to spend it. I'd imagine it would take an insane offer for them not to match it though

Brian Gionta - really talented, oozes skill, but last season was the first time he cracked more than 30 points at any pro level

Scott Gomez - More of a logical candidate. Has demonstrated consistency in the past, and fills a need for a second center. Jersey is tight against the cap. Makes sense to take a run at him.

Martin Havlat & Jason Spezza - We all know the cap issues that the Sens are running into

Joni Pitkanen - I think Clarke would find a way to keep him, but they are stretched pretty thin. I'd try to sign him long term for 3.6-3.8 million and see if the Flyers are willing to match. I know it's a lot to offer for a player with only 2 years NHL experience under his belt, but from what I've seen in 3-4 years when he's getting 3.8 million it will be a steal. If they don't match, we got a stud d-man, and if they do, we force them to take on more salary. Win-win

Yeah, I know, no wonderful insight.

* - I picked these guys cause they are the cream of the RFA crop this year, not cause they'd be realistic aditions (if any of them are)

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
I think it's more likely that the threat of RFA theft will be an incentive to trade high quality RFAs. I still think it's doubtful that we'll see a lot of outright theft.

For example, Ottawa is over a barrel with Havlat.

Team X is ready to pay him 4.5 million, which is far more than Ottawa is willing to spend.

Team X is willing to trade player A or lose the picks for Havlat, neither of which are good enough for Ottawa (or maybe the offer is good enough but for the fact that Team X is a division or conference rival).

Team Y is also willing to pay 4.5 million for Havlat. They would rather keep their picks, and are offering players B and C for a signed Havlat, which Ottawa likes more than the picks or player A from Team X.

So Team X makes the offer sheet, Ottawa matches, and then trades Havlat to Team Y.

It's pretty convoluted, but I still think this is a more likely scenario than an outright theft of a player that the rights holding team wants to hold on to.
Under the old CBA a matched offer sheet meant you could not trade the guy for one year unless it was to the team that made the original offer. Is this still the case??

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 08:29 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania
Under the old CBA a matched offer sheet meant you could not trade the guy for one year unless it was to the team that made the original offer. Is this still the case??
Yes, it is still the case.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 09:41 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D
The bible of Free agents every year.

http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2006.html
nice thanks!

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
For what it's worth these are the guys I'd target:

Eric Staal* - Carolina has loads of cap space, almost undoubtedly match

Marian Gaborik* - Minnesota also has a lot of cap room, but have demonstrated an unwillingness to spend it. I'd imagine it would take an insane offer for them not to match it though

Brian Gionta - really talented, oozes skill, but last season was the first time he cracked more than 30 points at any pro level

Scott Gomez - More of a logical candidate. Has demonstrated consistency in the past, and fills a need for a second center. Jersey is tight against the cap. Makes sense to take a run at him.

Martin Havlat & Jason Spezza - We all know the cap issues that the Sens are running into

Joni Pitkanen - I think Clarke would find a way to keep him, but they are stretched pretty thin. I'd try to sign him long term for 3.6-3.8 million and see if the Flyers are willing to match. I know it's a lot to offer for a player with only 2 years NHL experience under his belt, but from what I've seen in 3-4 years when he's getting 3.8 million it will be a steal. If they don't match, we got a stud d-man, and if they do, we force them to take on more salary. Win-win

Yeah, I know, no wonderful insight.

* - I picked these guys cause they are the cream of the RFA crop this year, not cause they'd be realistic aditions (if any of them are)
Mmmmmmm, Pitkanen.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 11:58 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite
You must pray on the weak (CAP limited, or cash limited)

CAP limited: Philly, Detroit, Ottawa, NJ

Cash limited: Boston (?)

Is there a full list of RFAS somewhere on these boards? (am looking)
phillys only RFAS of interest would be gagne and pitkane and maybe umberger.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft
phillys only RFAS of interest would be gagne and pitkane and maybe umberger.
Gagne wouldn't play here after that booming hit from Ribeiro that almost ended his career.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 12:17 PM
NORiculous

Quote:

Joni...

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Now Gagne and Pitkanen both intrigue me. Pitkanen a little moreso than Gagne though.

What if you played it like this?? Might be a little sneaky but could work.

Offer Gagne a little overpayment but something that is certainly matchable by Philly, hope they match and drive them closer to the cap. Then go put in your offer on Pitkanen which will be harder to match as they are really right up against it.

Worst case scenario you get Gagne when Philly doesn't match.

Old
06-29-2006, 12:25 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Won't happen, every year everyone says the same thing they swear this year is different but it never happens.

Last edited by sXe: 06-29-2006 at 12:32 PM.
sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Beakermania*

Oh one thing to remember about Philly's cap situation is the Forsberg injury. He can be put on IR and will not count against the cap early in the year. It could buy them cap space till he comes back in january, at which point they'll have to make a move to get him back under.

New Jersey played that game last year (Elias) and had to send Mogilny to the minors. Would Bobby Clarke try it, be over the cap with Forsberg, but IR him and then try to make a midseason deal to get back under.

Old
06-29-2006, 01:32 PM
GoHabsGO252006

Also remember that in the offseason teams can go over the cap provided they are back under the cap by a particular point nearing the beginning of the season, so teams like Philly can match an offer for Pitkanen and then find somwhere to cut salary later. At team like Ottawa might still have more trouble.

Secondly it's also important to remember and a good thing if you are planning to make such RFA offers is that the salary to compensation chart actually adjusts on a yearly basis. Therefore since the cap is rising by approx 12%, the 4-5M range that gets compensated something like two 1st roudn, one 2 and one 3 will actually be approx 4.5 - 5.5 or something like that. (i just peruzed the rules but if anybody actually cares i can work it out more closely).

That means you can actually sign Havlat for 5.49 M per year and still only give up that level of compensation, further squeezing teams a bit and not giving up more picks.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote