HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sopel being shopped

Old
06-28-2006, 03:57 PM
RacerX

vCash: 500
Sopel being shopped

Saw this on a canucks board a few minutes ago and couldn't see it anywhere around here.

Quote:
On a different note. An ex-canuck Dman with long hair has been told by the LA Kings that he does not fit into their plans and that they will be actively seeking to trade his $2.6 million contract. No, he won't be coming back to Vancouver.
Link

RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 04:02 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

I don't see why he couldn't be coming back to Vancouver

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I was never thrilled with the idea of having Sopel here in the first place. Hopefully if he can't be dealt, they can buy him out....they better do it soon though.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Matt13

Can we get Tambs for him?........POOP

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 04:50 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
His hair alone is worth 1.5 million.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 04:55 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Racer X, hawk eye! Thanks for that. The entire link was a great read.

I'm actually disappointed that Sopel isn't in our plans. I was willing to give him and his knee about 30 games to make an impact.

Well, viva la revolución.

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 05:03 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball
Racer X, hawk eye! Thanks for that. The entire link was a great read.

I'm actually disappointed that Sopel isn't in our plans. I was willing to give him and his knee about 30 games to make an impact.

Well, viva la revolución.
well the Sopel part appears to be just a footnote that was totally unassociated with the things Nonis had said at the breakfast... that's kinda the way it read to me. if that is the case, then it's really speculative that Brent is indeed being shopped, let alone has been told that he no longer fits into the Kings plan.

how would this guy know that Sopel's future has essentially already been dealt with by Kings management? moreover, why would Nonis bring up a rather unimportant tidbit as far as the Canucks and their fans are concerned, even if true?

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen
His hair alone is worth 1.5 million.
Now that way funny! Good job Tik

Old
06-28-2006, 05:12 PM
johnjm22

God I hope this is true.

GO DL!

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Osprey

Thanks, RacerX.

I'm a little confused as to how Sopel doesn't fit into the Kings' plans. He's a rather adaptable defenseman, meaning that he can fit decently into just about any role that the coach asks him of him (offense, defense, PP, PK). That's valuable, especially when injuries arise. I thought that he would've been given a longer chance, especially with Crawford, but I suppose that Lombardi has a plan.

I hope that this doesn't make retaining Corvo more likely. If Lombardi doesn't see Sopel as worth spending $2.6M on, I can't imagine him feeling that Corvo is. Anyways, I think that this just about assures that Lombardi will sign a free agent defenseman this Summer.

Lombardi may be thinking of something like this: trade Sopel, let Corvo walk, sign a big-name defenseman to take one of their spots and let Petiot take the other. Then, you could have pairings such as:

UFA-Norstrom (~27 mins per game)
Visnovsky-Gleason (~20 mins per game)
Miller-Petiot (~13 mins per game)
Dempsey as #7 (or switched with Petiot)

I can also see him signing a second, character defenseman, though, and not picking up the option on Dempsey.

Last edited by Osprey: 06-28-2006 at 06:01 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat
well the Sopel part appears to be just a footnote that was totally unassociated with the things Nonis had said at the breakfast... that's kinda the way it read to me. if that is the case, then it's really speculative that Brent is indeed being shopped, let alone has been told that he no longer fits into the Kings plan.

how would this guy know that Sopel's future has essentially already been dealt with by Kings management? moreover, why would Nonis bring up a rather unimportant tidbit as far as the Canucks and their fans are concerned, even if true?
I think that Lomardi probably called Nonis and offered to trade him Sopel. He would likely be the first person that Lombardi would call. This would explain how Nonis knows that Sopel isn't in the Kings' plans and is being shopped, as well as would explain why he felt the need to tell Canucks fans that, no, he's not coming back to Vancouver. That'd be an odd thing to say if he weren't already offered to you and you turned the idea down.

Old
06-28-2006, 05:57 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I think that Lomardi probably called Nonis and offered to trade him Sopel. He would likely be the first person that Lombardi would call. This would explain how Nonis knows that Sopel isn't in the Kings' plans and is being shopped, as well as would explain why he felt the need to tell Canucks fans that, no, he's not coming back to Vancouver. That'd be an odd thing to say if he weren't already offered to you and you turned the idea down.

sure, but the "On a different note" lead in to the Sopel part, reads as if it were completely unrelated to what was discussed at the breakfast... otherwise, why not list that as point #20?

Old
06-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Osprey

Quote:
sure, but the "On a different note" lead in to the Sopel part, reads as if it were completely unrelated to what was discussed at the breakfast... otherwise, why not list that as point #20?
Well, it was unrelated, since Sopel is a King now and the whole breakfast was a discussion of the Canucks organization.

Old
06-28-2006, 06:05 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Well, it was unrelated, since Sopel is a King now and the whole breakfast was a discussion of the Canucks organization.

but you said...

Quote:
i'm confused...

Old
06-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Osprey

Quote:
i'm confused...
I'm confused about why you're confused.

Old
06-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Venom_17

Uhhh...Sopel? Defense? Now I'm confused.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 06:33 PM
kingsfan25

Good...I think a large portion of all of these salary dumps are going to be invested in a physical defense.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 07:45 PM
nikolai19

Sopel and Miller are both likely stuck in LA. You'd have to look long and hard to find someone to take these guys.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 07:47 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19
Sopel and Miller are both likely stuck in LA. You'd have to look long and hard to find someone to take these guys.
Sopel maybe...Miller would find a taker despite his salary due to the newly boosted value of stay-at-home d-men.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 08:17 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Interesting that this should become an agenda issue on the Kings plate with Crawford having coached Sopel through his so-called "better" years. If the Kings are really looking to move him, I wouldn't consider that a ringing endorsement from his past and now current coach... right?

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

or it could mean total blow up of the team, dump everyone that won't be part of a cup run in '08-'09-'10 whatever, so dump any over 30+ year old vets that won't be part of the 'Team Character Rebuild' year or two {meaning Matty & Conroy may likely stay if they are willing, to help teach and develop the younger guys} and so you stockpile as many top level picks and prospects you can get for these guys, kiss the 2006-07 season goodbye and gear up for 2007-08 and beyond, if that's the case I don't see any top level UFA signings for us this year unless it's along the likes of a 28 year old or younger Stud {like Redden} that will still be pivotal role on the team during those later years.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 08:53 PM
RightKinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U
or it could mean total blow up of the team, dump everyone that won't be part of a cup run in '08-'09-'10 whatever, so dump any over 30+ year old vets that won't be part of the 'Team Character Rebuild' year or two {meaning Matty & Conroy may likely stay if they are willing, to help teach and develop the younger guys} and so you stockpile as many top level picks and prospects you can get for these guys, kiss the 2006-07 season goodbye and gear up for 2007-08 and beyond, if that's the case I don't see any top level UFA signings for us this year unless it's along the likes of a 28 year old or younger Stud {like Redden} that will still be pivotal role on the team during those later years.
If we are going to do this then I would trade these guys at the trade deadline when there value will be high. If Witt can fetch a 1st round pick then imagine what Norstrom would bring or maybe even Miller if he is healthy. Sopel and Miller would be rent-a-vets since their contracts only have one more year. If we keep the roster as it is now do you guys think we will be bad enough to get a top 5 pick next year?

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 08:54 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Sopel good, or Sopel bad... the Kings are woefully thin at defense, and Richard Petiot is hardly the answer at this point. Do you really believe the high ticket defensemen are lining up wanting to play for the Kings? Just be forewarned that next season is going to look surprisingly similar to last season and the season before that... at least defensively.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 09:21 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
Sopel good, or Sopel bad... the Kings are woefully thin at defense, and Richard Petiot is hardly the answer at this point. Do you really believe the high ticket defensemen are lining up wanting to play for the Kings? Just be forewarned that next season is going to look surprisingly similar to last season and the season before that... at least defensively.
Hal Gill is a fairly tall guy. I say the Kings grab him, paint Chara on his back and hope not too many people notice...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
Just be forewarned that next season is going to look surprisingly similar to last season and the season before that... at least defensively
I think you're being overly optimistic {yeah I said it ... optimistic + YOU in the same sentence ! lol} ... I expect the 2006-07 team to down right blow, and should almost purposely to try and nab a Top 5 #1 draft pick next year to help with the rebuild for 2007 and beyond. I say keep all the promising rookies, Kopitar / O'Sullivan / etc. down in Manchester and have the Monarchs compete for the Calder Cup and build a Winning attitude and team from the ground up.

Last year we were at least a better than .500 team ALL year until the annual year end melt down, this coming year I expect to be a below .500 team all year long and hope we finish bad enough to get the #1 pick overall if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger
If we are going to do this then I would trade these guys at the trade deadline when there value will be high. If Witt can fetch a 1st round pick then imagine what Norstrom would bring or maybe even Miller if he is healthy. Sopel and Miller would be rent-a-vets since their contracts only have one more year. If we keep the roster as it is now do you guys think we will be bad enough to get a top 5 pick next year?
I agree, and don't see us actually trading Sopel until then ..... I don't find that little blurb of rumor to be all that credible, unless somehow Lombardi has some SUPER ACCELERATED rebuild plan were he thinks he can maybe even get us competitive by the end of this year, and competing for a Cup in 2007-08 ... I've been looking at it as at least a "Kiss the 2006-07 season goodbye" rebuild during the year, and get the rookies 'WINNING' in Manchester and then combine them with Cammalleri / Brown / Frolov / Gleason / etc in the 2007-08 season and add in the Top $$$ UFA's that year, and now you might be talking about a seriously competitive team that might get a lucky run like Carolina this year, and that could keep it up for years after. But I thought even I was being gracious giving it a one year time table for a mini rebuild / re-tool.

I can't see based on Lombardi's comments and past history, that he'll bring in top $$$ UFA's THIS YEAR (2006-07) just for the sake of trying to remain half assed competitive ... UNLESS that's yet again the MANDATE from above {read Lieweke} ... I hope that's not what he's doing, And if you can't sign some young stud UFA for a 4-5 year Deal ... I can't see it being worth it for 1-3 years, as they'll just be gone /or leaving by the time we hope to be perennial cup contenders.

Last edited by Puck U: 06-28-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote