HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Comrie willing to sign for less than 1.13??

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 01:08 AM
dem

vCash: 500
Comrie willing to sign for less than 1.13??

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...1-08-0078.html

A little taste...

Quote:
Agent Rich Winter says Comrie is willing to sign a contract for less than the $1.13-million US qualifying offer tendered by the Oilers last summer with any team that obtains him.

Comrie, in fact, has talked to at least two of the teams Lowe has been in trade discussions with, the Anaheim Mighty Ducks and Atlanta Thrashers - both of whom have offered Lowe a package of players - and told them the very same thing.

So much for the people crying he wants 4 million.. :p
This kid really wants out of town!

Old
11-08-2003, 02:06 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
So much for the people crying he wants 4 million.. :p
This kid really wants out of town!
Mike Russo of the Florida Sun Sentinel has no credibility now after spreading the $4 million dollar figure all around the press circle .
Now more importantly whats better Lupul+change or Handzus+change? (I hope both those offers are true)

edit- off Spectors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kelley
ESPN.COM: Jim Kelley reports Edmonton Oilers GM Kevin Lowe denied having trade talks with the LA Kings GM Dave Taylor regarding holdout Mike Comrie, then later admitted to having discussions but added no deal was imminent. Meanwhile, Kelley claims sources say Lowe's good buddy and former Oilers teammate Wayne Gretzky was interested in adding Comrie to the Phoenix Coyotes and offered up Krystofer Kolanos, but Kelley adds the 'Yotes would have to "sweeten the pot" if they hope to land the holdout. The Atlanta Thrashers, San Jose Sharks and Philadelphia Flyers are also believed interested, with Kelley claiming the Flyers depth in prospects, their "need for a playmaking center" and Lowe's supposed desire to move Comrie to an Eastern club giving them an edge.

Spector's Note: Kolanos hasn't been the same since suffering a concussion two years ago, so yeah, the Desert Dawgs would have to seriously "sweeten" their offer if they're as serious as Kelley claims. As for the Flyers, I'd like Kelley to explain where Comrie would fit into a roster already deep at center in Keith Primeau, Jeremy Roenick, Michael Handzus and Claude Lapointe. And don't suggest moving Lapointe to the wing. He centers one of the checking lines, so I don't see Comrie being a good fit there. And don't suggest trading Primeau and Roenick as their salaries make that practically impossible! And I don't believe he'll trade Handzus.

Old
11-08-2003, 05:01 AM
pepchew

Has he been demanding bonuses? If he's willing to accept a million flat out then I'll believe it's not about money. If he's willing to accept less money than the base salary Lowe offered him but wants tons of incentives then it's a totally different picture. We need all the facts.

Old
11-08-2003, 05:18 AM
Oiltalk

Now the arguing will be about his size.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:27 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
If this is true, his trade value goes sky high, and Lowe really has no excuse if he doesn't get full value in return.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:43 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
If this is true, his trade value goes sky high, and Lowe really has no excuse if he doesn't get full value in return.
still disagree.

because its what he will sign with OTHER teams. he still has Edmonton behind the eightball because he WONT sign with them. Very hard to demand equal value for a guy who wont play for you no matter what you do.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:45 AM
DW

If comrie signs for less then the league minimum, won't he become a free agent like Kariya? I'm sure that is why he's looking to sign a deal for less then 1.13million. JMHO

Old
11-08-2003, 06:49 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
still disagree.

because its what he will sign with OTHER teams. he still has Edmonton behind the eightball because he WONT sign with them. Very hard to demand equal value for a guy who wont play for you no matter what you do.
Nah. Right now, he's not costing the Oilers a thing. A young 30-goal scorer making a million dollars is a really attractive commodity, whether he's playing anywhere or not. Lowe certainly isn't going to just give Comrie away because he's not playing for them, and he's said that time and time again. I guess I just don't see how another GM can expect to get him out of Edmonton cheap.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:50 AM
Lanny MacDonald*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
If comrie signs for less then the league minimum, won't he become a free agent like Kariya? I'm sure that is why he's looking to sign a deal for less then 1.13million. JMHO
No, that is incorrect. Comrie does not have the 10 years NHL service in to qualify for that loophole.

One thing this does do is put the issue right into Lowes lap and forces a trade. Lowe will now have to come up with what ever he can because Comrie is not going back to Edmonton in any shape or form. Comrie just made it easier to get himself traded, but may have extended the time frame as Lowe tries to milk the most he can in a deal.

Something tells me that Winter is going to negotiate the trade and come up with a win-win. This issue just needs to go away.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:50 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
No. I think that's the whole Class V free agent thing, and I'm pretty sure that requires a player to have been in the NHL (or at least a pro) for ten years.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:12 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
no that doesnt work for young players. 10 years NHL experience and being under the league minimum often allows 28 or 29 year olds to become UFAs...but not 23 yr old Comrie!!!

Old
11-08-2003, 08:22 AM
RE-HABS

In all truth it should have never been about $'s, Comrie was born into money...his old man owns "The Brick" Furniture Franchise. he probably makes more money from that per year than he does playing hockey or will in the future anyway.

It is something personal between him and Lowe and he wants out, too bad because if Comrie can't take negative comments on his play from management he will be demanding a trade in every city he plays in then.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:25 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
no that doesnt work for young players. 10 years NHL experience and being under the league minimum often allows 28 or 29 year olds to become UFAs...but not 23 yr old Comrie!!!
Are you sure? Because if that is true that contract must be plastered with bonuses then, I can't see one signing for so low and for one year if they didn't have a plan to be a UFA at the end of the season so he can go whre ever he feels.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:27 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
In all truth it should have never been about $'s, Comrie was born into money...his old man owns "The Brick" Furniture Franchise. he probably makes more money from that per year than he does playing hockey or will in the future anyway.

It is something personal between him and Lowe and he wants out, too bad because if Comrie can't take negative comments on his play from management he will be demanding a trade in every city he plays in then.
Supposedly Comrie was singled out as having played poorly in last seasons playoff loss. He didn't like being blamed for the loss.

Apparently thats why he wants out?

Old
11-08-2003, 08:30 AM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Are you sure? Because if that is true that contract must be plastered with bonuses then, I can't see one signing for so low and for one year if they didn't have a plan to be a UFA at the end of the season so he can go whre ever he feels.
Yeah im sure. He is offering to sign for less than what his previous base salary was to show that he will make it easy on the team he goes to, to sign him. He is saying that it is not about money, and that he wants to get out of Edmonton asap.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
Probably not. The Brick has been in rough waters financially for a few years and is now partially owned by the Bank of Nova Scotia because of that fact.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:41 AM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
1.13 million? Damn. Any team could afford that and it's a bargain for him.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:44 AM
Lowetide

One thing I don't understand is why people think the pressure is on Kevin Lowe. The fan base couldn't be more behind him, and the only way they turn on him is if he makes a deal where Comrie goes for ten cents on the dollar.

If the offer isn't there, wait until 2005. Seems like a logical train of thought to me.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Ship him to the Predators. I certainly wouldn't mind .

Old
11-08-2003, 08:56 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

I guess this is a pretty good answer to everybody who was demanding to know how Lowe's position was supposed to improve by waiting.

Old
11-08-2003, 09:37 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
One thing I don't understand is why people think the pressure is on Kevin Lowe. The fan base couldn't be more behind him, and the only way they turn on him is if he makes a deal where Comrie goes for ten cents on the dollar.

If the offer isn't there, wait until 2005. Seems like a logical train of thought to me.
Lowe must love his job right now. Player is holding out and Lowe is the one the fans are behind. How many GM's get that?

Old
11-08-2003, 09:48 AM
Watts02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny MacDonald
No, that is incorrect. Comrie does not have the 10 years NHL service in to qualify for that loophole.

One thing this does do is put the issue right into Lowes lap and forces a trade. Lowe will now have to come up with what ever he can because Comrie is not going back to Edmonton in any shape or form. Comrie just made it easier to get himself traded, but may have extended the time frame as Lowe tries to milk the most he can in a deal.

Something tells me that Winter is going to negotiate the trade and come up with a win-win. This issue just needs to go away.

Winter will not be negotiating anything. KLowe can and should just sit this kid out. And when this kid finally picks his lip up off the ice and signs with the OIl, then this kid will be able to force a trade. As an oiler fan I see our team scoring more this year then last, this kid needs to be made an example of. He has left every team he has played with for a shot at something better. Have any of the greats of the game ofg hockey "gretz, Mario," done this. No player is bigger then the team. He does what is told of him by the coach and GM. Sit the punk! Let him rot. We will win the trade when it does finally happen no matter what we get back including that puck bag from Atl, cuz the way I see it if you don't want to play here and pout about it, then your a cancer to our team and our game. Ala Carter his good old friend.

Old
11-08-2003, 10:51 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide

I agree that there's no pressure on Lowe for the moment, but the situation isn't going to last if the Oilers continue to wallow near the bottom of the NW division.

Old
11-08-2003, 10:58 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I agree that there's no pressure on Lowe for the moment, but the situation isn't going to last if the Oilers continue to wallow near the bottom of the NW division.
(shrug) The Oilers have been playing better (which is probably the reason for this latest move from Winter.) Of all the teams in the West, only Vancouver and St Louis have put much distance between themselves and the Oil, currently at .500 along with Detroit and Minnesota in the middle of the WC pack. If the Oilers continue to "wallow" within close reach of a playoff spot, Lowe can take as much time as he likes.

Old
11-08-2003, 11:03 AM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
2 points behind Minny, who have 2 games in hand, and 3 points behind Colorado, who have 1 game in hand, is hardly wallowing at the bottom of the NW division. Even if Edmonton is at the bottom of the division, it still makes sense to wait to make the best deal.

For at least a few of the teams in the league, the fans are behind the team first, the owners second, the management third, and the players last.

Closed Thread