HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Crank up the G to Calgary offers/proposals...

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 01:27 PM
T99

vCash:
Crank up the G to Calgary offers/rumors...

It was reported on a Calgary radio station a little while ago that Turek is gone for 6 months with a torn MCL.

So bring em on....who wants to make a deal with the Flames?

Old
11-04-2003, 01:36 PM
loveshack2

vCash: 500
WoooHooo!!!!

And congrats to all the other poolies who picked up McLennan in their pools on the cheap as well.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:36 PM
Shin Pad

The Flames have plenty of good young goalie prospects in their system, so I really doubt they are looking for anything more than someone to fill in for a while. McLennan is doing a good job so far (anyone would with a defence that is allowing 20 or less shots against per game). Sabourin has only played one game - an OT loss, but looked pretty good for the most part. I think they need to give him more of a chance.

Anyway, I don't think the Flames are really desparate to get a goalie yet. If they do make a trade, it won't be for a No. 1 goalie.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:37 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by T99
It was reported on a Calgary radio station a little while ago that Turek is gone for 6 months with a torn MCL.
Thats probably the best thing to happen to calgary in a long time.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Oiltown16

Mclennan is doing a superb job as the Flames netminder (it pains me to compliment a Flame)...I even picked him for my smallworld and sportsnet hockey pools

Old
11-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Peter

Option #1: Acquire Hurme for a forward and a pick.

Option #2: Acquire Irbe really, really cheap.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakin' Saprykin
It shouldn't be to hard for McLennan to be better than Turek was last year. I think Sabourin will do well, you could tell by the way he played against Dallas that all he needs is a little experience to do well at the NHL level.
As good as Turek. Yeah right.....

Old
11-04-2003, 02:04 PM
MVP

Consider the insurance will probably pick up the Turek salary, and Detriot willing to take a lot of the CUJO salary now, will there be anyway in which CUJO would land in Calgary?

Old
11-04-2003, 02:25 PM
USC Trojans
New Era

Ummm...how about the Oilers do the Flames a favor and deals them Salo for Regehr! He's a good goalie...really! And he's over the Belarus goal! You'll thank us later!!

Old
11-04-2003, 03:08 PM
DaBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
WoooHooo!!!!

And congrats to all the other poolies who picked up McLennan in their pools on the cheap as well.

Thank you, Thank you!!!

I actually picked him up after someone dropped him....AFTER Turek's injury!!

Old
11-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Ozy_Flame

You'll be waiting a while for Calgary to make a deal. With McLennan overperforming, and most of our wins has come with Noodles in net, there is no reason to spend money on a goaltender who will give a marginally better performance at this point. It also allows for Sabourin to gain a little pro experience; that can't be anything but a good thing.

And Cujo to Calgary? Doesn't work. He's still got another year on his contract, so when Turek gets back, we're going to have a major logjam in net, with over $8 million spent on goaltenders alone.

We are not small-market Detroit.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:28 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

vCash: 50
J-S Aubin for a donut?

Or is Calgary giving up too much?

Old
11-05-2003, 12:28 AM
calgarylen13

Depends whether its a Jam donut or one with the hole in the middle. I reckon he's not worth the extra jam to be honest, but if there is a hole in the middle...well Turek has one of those so I don't know if he can be much worse

Anyways here is how i see things:
While i'm the first to admit i was wrong in saying McLennan was useless, he has proven to be ok in the short term...but in the long term, i don't get the feeling he'll keep playing as well as he has been. I reckon we do need to make a move for a goalie, these are who i'd like us to look at:
Biron
Johnson (from the Blues)
Tugnutt???

more unlikely one of
Nabokov?
Fernandez?

I don't know how much any of these guys earn, but does anyone reckon we have a chance at any of them?

As for Joseph, he is Turek's long lost Canadian cousin-in-law. I think Ed Belfour is further showing that Joseph isn't anything special, only looks good with Toronto's winning lineup.
anyone's thoughts on these possible players would be welcomed (as i don't know much about their contracts or possibilities etc.)

Old
11-05-2003, 03:49 AM
Benji Frank

I'm not saying Brent Johnson will be next guy in Flametown, but last time Calgary needed a starter ... Roman Turek St.Louis ... if memory serves correct, the time before that ... Gran Fuhr St.Louis!!

I think Mclennan will be fine though....

Old
11-05-2003, 04:10 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
WoooHooo!!!!

Amen to that!

I picked him up after the first day of the season....the guy in my league who has Turek offered me Turek for Forsberg! HA HA HA

So just to show him how worthless Turek was, I picked up McLennan. And now I look like a genius.

Here's a lesson kids: Some times being a jerk pays off!

Old
11-05-2003, 04:29 AM
Flamin' Griz

Looks like whoever mentioned this on Calgary radio jumped the gun.. Sutter says 1-3 months for Turek.

Old
11-05-2003, 04:32 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

while jamie may be playing lights out hockey right now, his history is that he cannot maintain his excellent level of play and will either flame out (pun intended) or get hurt.
Perhaps he has altered his offseason training program and he is prepared for full time duty, but I doubt it.
Look for him to start to fade at some point in december... perhaps by then the flames will have provided him with some relief so he can stay fresh and at the top of his game. When he is on, he is a pleasure to watch.

Old
11-05-2003, 07:49 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Can't see Sutter having any confidence in McLennan to be able to start for several months. Last nights game confirms that with Sutter pulling McLennan after two periods in a 2-0 game. Our stifling defense is the direct reason for his great numbers, it's not like he's been that impressive at all IMO. I'd expect him to make a move in the near future.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:50 AM
FunkyChicken
Golden Ticket

vCash: 400
There's plenty of available young back-ups that could be had for a mid-round draft pick.

Kiprosolf, Noranen...to mention a couple.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:22 AM
Zhackpot

McClennan is good enough for now. If the Flames can continue to keep shots to a minimum then McLennan will be more than good enough. The problems I see with the Flames:

1. No emotion in most games this season, except the second game against the Oilers, the 3-2 win over the Wild and the win over Columbus. That effort will not get the Flames into the playoffs even if they had Hasek in net.

2. Still a lack of scoring. Iginla just doesn't have the same jump he had two seasons ago. Back then it seemed everyshift he had the potential to either score or at the very least create a scoring chance. But then again this is not a contract year either.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:31 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhackpot
But then again this is not a contract year either.
Yes it is. Iggy's contract is up after this season.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:31 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhackpot
2. Still a lack of scoring. Iginla just doesn't have the same jump he had two seasons ago.
Of course not, he can't spend his money if he is hurt... (Seems like all players have a great year during contract years)

I could see a move for one of the Thrashers 5 goalies. Maybe Hurme?? could be had for a 4th or a D man...

Old
11-07-2003, 08:02 AM
Hitman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin
J-S Aubin for a donut?

Or is Calgary giving up too much?
We'll give you a timbit for him.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:05 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
You can't be serious. You think Sutter pulled Jamie because he wasn't playing well? He would have been a star if would have played out the game! And yes he has been impressive, have you even seen one game???
I've seen pretty much all the games, maybe missed one or two. I have season's tickets and watch all away games that are televised. He has played well enough for us to be in most games but he certainly hasn't stolen any games. I wouldn't call his performance this season "impressive". The defense has been playing impressive which would make any goaltender who played for us this season look decent.

There's no way he would have been a star in that game, the 2nd goal IMO was fairly weak.

Why else would Sutter have pulled Jamie?

Old
11-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Benji Frank

Quote:
.......you have got to be kidding.
Now's he's been pulled again ... about the 3rd time this year. They can't always be to shake up the team....

Closed Thread