HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

why not use perezhogin or kostitsyn at the point on pp next year?

Old
06-30-2006, 05:55 AM
kostitsyn fan

vCash: 500
why not use perezhogin or kostitsyn at the point on pp next year?

i know it's a bit early to talk about that, but in the last season, montreal only use kovalev a few time at the point and im agree with that because is much more dangerous closer to the net, but in the last playoff, the sabres and the hurricanes sometime use 5 forward on the pp... Also, edmonton always use stoll at the point...

Reason to use perezhogin : with is incredable speed he could take the puck behind is net and get it in the offensive zone all by himself, i think that he's the most underated ^^defensive^^ player of the canadian because even if he take some stick penalty he's amazing to stick check, he's a great passer with a great vision and he have a decent shot... by putting perez at the point they could put markov on the right side of the point to let him do some one timer since he's the best defenseman of montreal to do that... Please dont say that souray have a better shot, in 202 shots souray scored 11 times and markov did only 88 shots with 10 goals and about 8 games less than souray...

reason to use kostitsyn : He's got 3 ^^armes de destructions massives^^ i only saw him play 3 times but i saw a few video of is goals and geeez is got a amazing slap shot ( souray one's but with accuracy) great wrister with a faboulous quick release, he's a great passer and i think he's got a great vision of the game even if some people on this board doesnt think this way. I ll also say that he as the best ^^arsenal^^ of shot in the young russian player of the ligue except oveckin and kovalchuk... Last good reason : he was use at the point last year in hamilton on the pp like is little bro in london... Maybe we could use both in 2 years of now

For next year i really dream of a all russian first pp unit :
perezhogin-grabovsky-kovalev ( if grabovsky is not good at the draw take pleky)
markov-kostitsyn that would be a devastating pp!!!!!
thanks to andre savard and timmins for their amazing scouting since 2001!!!!

Je sais que c'est un peu tôt pour discuter de çela, mais je crois que nous devrions utilser perezhogin et kostitsyn à la pointe sur les avantages numérique... Le seul joueur que nous avons utilisés la saison derniere à quelque reprise était kovalev. Mais je suis d'accord avec ce point, car kovalev est beaucoup plus dangeureux comme attaquant. Dans les dernières séries, les hurricanes et les sabres ont parfois utilisés 5 attaquants! Aussi edmonton à souvent utilisé stoll à la pointe...

les raisons d'utiliser perezhogin : avec sa vitesse qui frise celle d'une éclair, il pourrait prendre la rondelle en arière du filet de huet et la monter jusque dans la zone offensive! Je crois aussi quil est le joueur le plus sous-estimé en ce qui attrait à ses habilités défensives ; car avec son baton meme si il prend souvent des pénalités, il est excellent pour faire des ^^poke check^^. Aussi, il est un excellent passeur et il a une excellent vision du jeu. De cette facon, il pourrait mettre markov du côté droit pour lui permettre de faire plus de one timer

kostitsyn fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:18 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
why not start by givin the PP Time!

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:40 AM
kostitsyn fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West
why not start by givin the PP Time!
i agree but i think the habs or just not enough creative with the use of their player, i mean how much time they used bulis and zednik in the playoffs power play while they were total garbage and they let pleky and perez on the bench who was the best duo of the team!!!...
so my point was to use them after they adapt to the game especially for kostitsyn...

Last edited by kostitsyn fan: 06-30-2006 at 06:41 AM. Reason: grammar
Old
06-30-2006, 06:40 AM
Qui Gon Dave

I like the idea of using Pez, not sure how effective it would be but I'd like to see him tried out during pre-season.

As for Kost, I focused on him a lot last year with Hamilton so figured I'll add some info to the discussion:

- Does have a very hard slap shot, but the accuracy isn't always consistantly good. When he is playing well, his shot reflects the quality of his game, but when he is struggling, trying to force something to happen, his shot can be a little eratic. Hopefully this is something he will be able to correct. Can take wrist shots from the point that can cause some trouble. Not neccessarily straight from the shot (although he did wire a wrister top corner from the point last year) but if he puts it on net, will be good for deflections.

- Very good passer, both when set up in the zone and when organising breakouts. Also showed himself to be alert to what is going on around him. He set one goal up on the PP last year after the other team dumped the puck and both teams went for changes. He got back to his own zone (instead of changing immediately), took a pass from his keeper and wired a pass to an open teammate who had just stepped on the ice. They scored a few seconds later.

- Needs to focus on making the right decision at the right time. At times last year, he would always fire one-timers when he got the puck. At other times he wouldn't shoot the puck at all, instead looking to pass it every time he received it. There was a comment by Don Lever (at a time when this was a big problem for Kost, before he was taken off the point for a while) that the reason he was put on the point was to use his shot and put the puck on net, but he kept looking to pass, so he got moved. Derek Wills (Dogs pbp guy) commented on a few occassions that his shooting was a bit wild and that he didn't always make the most of 5 on 3 opportunites.

- Capable of taking the puck and working it down low. On a few occassions, he really did look like Kovalev out there, stickhandling round guys looking to create something. Needs to pick his times though, like his shooting/passing - if he consistantly makes good decisions, thats the main step for him.

- Playing the point can mean being last guy back a lot of the time. AK has a bit of a rep for not being so good defensively so for some people this might be a problem. I think I watched nearly half the dogs games last year and during that time, I saw him make a few mistakes in his defensive play, but not many. There were a couple of occassions where he would press too far up or try and rush the opponant with the puck. But for the most part, I thought he played his defensive responsibilites very well. I saw him get back into the right positions, take away the pass, use a little bit of physical play when the time called for it, all good signs. With the coaching staff in Montreal, I really think they will be able to round out his special teams performances.

I think unless he proves he can handle point duty right away, I'd start him off on the 2nd PP unit in the position Kovalev or Kovalchuk occupy along the boards on their off-wing. Let him get used to the PP in the NHL, get his timing right and hopefully unleash some of those one-timers into the top corner. When he is ready, move him back to the point and see how he handles it. I guess I'm biased on this issue but what do other people think of him being used on the powerplay next year (point or not)?

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:47 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave
I like the idea of using Pez, not sure how effective it would be but I'd like to see him tried out during pre-season.

As for Kost, I focused on him a lot last year with Hamilton so figured I'll add some info to the discussion:

- Does have a very hard slap shot, but the accuracy isn't always consistantly good. When he is playing well, his shot reflects the quality of his game, but when he is struggling, trying to force something to happen, his shot can be a little eratic. Hopefully this is something he will be able to correct. Can take wrist shots from the point that can cause some trouble. Not neccessarily straight from the shot (although he did wire a wrister top corner from the point last year) but if he puts it on net, will be good for deflections.

- Very good passer, both when set up in the zone and when organising breakouts. Also showed himself to be alert to what is going on around him. He set one goal up on the PP last year after the other team dumped the puck and both teams went for changes. He got back to his own zone (instead of changing immediately), took a pass from his keeper and wired a pass to an open teammate who had just stepped on the ice. They scored a few seconds later.

- Needs to focus on making the right decision at the right time. At times last year, he would always fire one-timers when he got the puck. At other times he wouldn't shoot the puck at all, instead looking to pass it every time he received it. There was a comment by Don Lever (at a time when this was a big problem for Kost, before he was taken off the point for a while) that the reason he was put on the point was to use his shot and put the puck on net, but he kept looking to pass, so he got moved. Derek Wills (Dogs pbp guy) commented on a few occassions that his shooting was a bit wild and that he didn't always make the most of 5 on 3 opportunites.

- Capable of taking the puck and working it down low. On a few occassions, he really did look like Kovalev out there, stickhandling round guys looking to create something. Needs to pick his times though, like his shooting/passing - if he consistantly makes good decisions, thats the main step for him.

- Playing the point can mean being last guy back a lot of the time. AK has a bit of a rep for not being so good defensively so for some people this might be a problem. I think I watched nearly half the dogs games last year and during that time, I saw him make a few mistakes in his defensive play, but not many. There were a couple of occassions where he would press too far up or try and rush the opponant with the puck. But for the most part, I thought he played his defensive responsibilites very well. I saw him get back into the right positions, take away the pass, use a little bit of physical play when the time called for it, all good signs. With the coaching staff in Montreal, I really think they will be able to round out his special teams performances.

I think unless he proves he can handle point duty right away, I'd start him off on the 2nd PP unit in the position Kovalev or Kovalchuk occupy along the boards on their off-wing. Let him get used to the PP in the NHL, get his timing right and hopefully unleash some of those one-timers into the top corner. When he is ready, move him back to the point and see how he handles it. I guess I'm biased on this issue but what do other people think of him being used on the powerplay next year (point or not)?
doubt the habs do it, because they won't be giving him ice time they're policy or earnin pp time is the biggest bs ever.... no 1 earns PK time...why the hell do u earn PP time....this isn't a gift or a hey go out there and enjoy 2 minutes cuz u worked damn hard during the other parts of the game... it's Hey...we gotta score agoal... who are my skilled guys lemme throw em out there (after practicing during the weeks/months/summer or course) and hope they get me a goal...

but no, i don't think the habs brass thinks like that , unfortunately...

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:05 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Hopefully, Souray can start from right where he left off in the playoffs (3 goals in 6 games) so we dont need a forward back there.

I dont really think we need to have forwards at the point when you already have a lazerbeam with Souray and another capable PP pointman in Markov.

If you are talking about the 2nd PP line, you may be on to something because I just dont like the fact that we use guys like dandy, Rivet (although he has his moments), and Bouillon on the PP.

but the 1st PP unit, I wouldn't really think about kost or perez at the point. Even if I were to move a forward back to the point from the 1st PP, I'd take Kovalev in a heartbeat.

A little off topic but remember ribs as a teenager when he made our team? He was our PP QB at the point back then. It kinda makes me laugh now. My, how things have changed.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:09 AM
All-Star

I don't think Perezhogin has enough of a slapshot to be more effective at the point than guys like Komisarek and Rivet. Kostitsyn on the other hand is definitely worth a try on the point.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:29 AM
Marksman

I'd rather have some right handed shot with Markov or Souray out there... to have one-timers shots more frequently.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
I don't think Perezhogin has enough of a slapshot to be more effective at the point than guys like Komisarek and Rivet. Kostitsyn on the other hand is definitely worth a try on the point.
I agree...and he could always be on the point on the second PP unit because I don't think that he would be in front of Souray or Markov...

I really expect Kostitsyn to start right away in Montreal this year and within a month or two, I think he should be on the PP because he's exactly what we need out there...a big a strong foward with CREATIVITY and a big shot!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 09:25 AM
TornACL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
I'd rather have some right handed shot with Markov or Souray out there... to have one-timers shots more frequently.
Me too.

one unit: Rivet/Souray the other unit: Komisarek/Markov

TornACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Montrealer

I don't think letting in a shorthanded goal a game is going to help us go further into the playoffs next year.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I think Gainey found out this year that we have no qb on the PP.I think Gainey will get someone via free agency

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 10:20 AM
znk

Geez....Habs had the 5th powerplay in the league durring the season and 3rd in the playoffs. You'd think we'd have other issues to focus on.
What in the world are you guys looking for?

Durring the season...
Buffalo 3rd
Montreal 5th
Edmonton 14th
Carolina 17th

Playoffs
Carolina 2nd
Montreal 3rd
Edmonton 7th
Buffalo 8th

Why invent a problem where there is none?

Last edited by znk: 06-30-2006 at 10:48 AM.
znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer
I don't think letting in a shorthanded goal a game is going to help us go further into the playoffs next year.
Rivet cost us many shorthanded goal last season and he's a defenceman...I don't see why Kostitsyn or Kovalev on the point would be a bad idea. And even if we allow 1 or 2 SH goal for 20 PP goal, it's wouldn't be bad.

Old
06-30-2006, 10:36 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Rivet cost us many shorthanded goal last season and he's a defenceman...I don't see why Kostitsyn or Kovalev on the point would be a bad idea. And even if we allow 1 or 2 SH goal for 20 PP goal, it's wouldn't be bad.
Many shorthanded goals? uh...
Habs game 6 shorthanded goals durring the season and 0 in the playoffs.
Edmonton gave 5 and 1
Buffalo 17 and 1
Carolina 13 and 2

This just blows my mind....
"We need to change our power play...look at those other teams...bla bla bal..."
Well Habs had a better powerplay then those teams....just ridiculous.

Lets start this thread once the season is started and the habs hit a slump on the powerplay....

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
Many shorthanded goals? uh...
Habs game 6 shorthanded goals durring the season and 0 in the playoffs.
Edmonton gave 5 and 1
Buffalo 17 and 1
Carolina 13 and 2

This just blows my mind....
"We need to change our power play...look at those other teams...bla bla bal..."
Well Habs had a better powerplay then those teams....just ridiculous.

Lets start this thread once the season is started and the habs hit a slump on the powerplay....
Only 6...oups, my bad. But Rivet still gave many breakaway because he was always shooting the puck while at a bad time...

Old
06-30-2006, 12:31 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Only 6...oups, my bad. But Rivet still gave many breakaway because he was always shooting the puck while at a bad time...
Sorry to disagree, but using rookie forwards regularly on the point of your power play is practically begging to give up shorthanders all the time. Like znk said, it's a bad solution to a non-existant problem.

Edit: Well, now that I think about it, I don't disagree about Rivet's tendancy to completely miss the puck at the point at the worst possible time.... but I'd rather go with a UFA d-man there that can handle point duties, or one of the other d-men, or even a veteran forward that's defensively aware, before going with Perez or Kost.

Last edited by Montrealer: 06-30-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 12:43 PM
kostitsyn1489

I don't think Perezhogin is a Point player. He don't have what it takes. He don't have a great shot He has a good vision but we already have markov to pass the puck but marov and perez don't have a big slapshot but Kostitsyn could be amazing, but now I hope he'll play on PP Time and maybe later if he play good we could try to use him. Maybe in training camp they'll try to use him to see how good he is on the point.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 02:17 PM
kostitsyn fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489
I don't think Perezhogin is a Point player. He don't have what it takes. He don't have a great shot He has a good vision but we already have markov to pass the puck but marov and perez don't have a big slapshot but Kostitsyn could be amazing, but now I hope he'll play on PP Time and maybe later if he play good we could try to use him. Maybe in training camp they'll try to use him to see how good he is on the point.

markov dont have a great slap shot???? 88 shots 10 goals vs 202 shots 11 goals for souray... Do you were your glasses during game?

Old
06-30-2006, 02:31 PM
kostitsyn1489

Markov score a couple of goal with his wristshot but not a lot from the blueline. I could be mistaken but... Matbe he could shot more on the PP... Kostitsyn could shot and pass the puck it could be a good thing. Both could shot and pass not just markov pass et souray shot. On Shorthanded the other team just need to put a player in front of Souray and we're dead...

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
I always been a fan of using a foward at the point. S.Kostitsyn did it for London and he was pretty good. You need someone quick with a great anticipation to play that role , and using a rookie there isin't the best option but id be ready to put Plekanec there without any worries. Perez or Kosty it's another story and most likely wont happen.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote