HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sarno promoted

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 03:48 AM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
Sarno promoted

In the Sun today, Sarno skated with Smyth and Hemsky...Happy for him after all the crap he's gone through to get where he is.

http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonSports/e...1-08-0089.html

Old
11-08-2003, 04:35 AM
Oilers Hockey

Hopefully he'll be better for that line than Horcoff was, nothing against Horcoff. All Oiler fans are really counting on Smyth and Hemsky to start clicking sometime; they finally take Smyth off center awhile ago and he goes into a small slump. :mad: They will find their wheels, maybe Sarno is the answer, but I doubt that since he's not a true first line centre, and we need one asap.

Old
11-08-2003, 05:31 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Hopefully he'll be better for that line than Horcoff was, nothing against Horcoff. All Oiler fans are really counting on Smyth and Hemsky to start clicking sometime; they finally take Smyth off center awhile ago and he goes into a small slump. :mad: They will find their wheels, maybe Sarno is the answer, but I doubt that since he's not a true first line centre, and we need one asap.
He's got good speed, he is alrighty on the draw, he his a good passer, and he has really developed a strong defensive game.

He may not be the guy who will get 60 points, but he should be more than adequate for what the Oilers need him for (get the puck to Ales).

Old
11-08-2003, 05:56 AM
Seachd

Wow... Roadrunners to first line centre. One hell of a jump! I think it's a good move. It certainly can't hurt that line.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:43 AM
Oi'll say!

{Based on the premise that Sarno plays the #1 job for even a few shifts at the start of the game}

IMO if Sarno is going to be a bonafide 82 gamer in this league it'll be on the 1st or 2nd lines, he's an offensive player first and foremost and he's going to struggle mightily if he's only got 4th line types to work with.

Am I predicting success for him up there?

You never know what's going to happen when a guy gets an opportunity like this out of the blues. Almost noone around here even thought he would be a Rr this season let alone get a shot to play any games with the big club. Now we have a holdout and some failed experiments at the #1 center position and Sarno's here & he's hot. The road b4 him seems paved with gold, there's noone in the league who will be more stoked than PS is tonight.

Still, common sense tells me the answer is no. The three ???'s/keys for PS tonight imo are:

1) his strength on the puck
2) his defensive performance
3) getting some points

1) - at his age he's not going to get much stronger, and if he's knocked off the puck easily the search is back on. He'll be seeing #1 defenseman who are taking him very seriously in this role and we've had more than our share of troubles with size issues down the middle.

2) - obviously defense is a sore spot around here right now, and it's MacT's primary concern all of the time. It's also considered to be Peter's Achilles heel. Yet another reason that he is on the short leash.

3) - Playing a good game won't be enough to keep him in this spot although it will probably earn him the 12th/13th one. Results are all that matter now. He is a two-time OHL scoring leader and that fact has to become obvious tonight.

Even if he does all that I'm still not saying that he'll be a #1 center here, the best that he can do is #2 behind York. Seeing as York and Dvo have so much chemistry, and Smyth will be the #1 lw here 'til he retires/gets traded, Sarnos only chance at the #2 spot is to see Smyth York and Dvo all together on the #1 line:

Smyth York Dvo
Torres Sarno Hemsky

Uh-oh, the dreaded three newbie 2-line.

Isbister Sarno Hemsky

Three players still struggling to establish themselves, not a good mix.

Peter has to have some phenominal games to make MacT's decisions tough because I don't think the 2 game veteran has a real shot at the top two lines this season.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:13 AM
Oilhitch

I think Sarno is a decent player and all.............but geesh the first line. The Oilers will try anyone there. Cross is next I guess.

Anyways if he is going to play there I do hope he does well.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:36 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
I think Sarno is a decent player and all.............but geesh the first line. The Oilers will try anyone there. Cross is next I guess.

Anyways if he is going to play there I do hope he does well.
Well in case you haven't noticed, they are still trying to figure out this number one centre thing. Once Comrie is dealt, it'll be easier. I mean, who else do you suggest? Smyth is a lot more effective on the wing (although he did do an adequate job at centre), Horc is a lot more effective on the 4th line, you can't break up York, dvo and Torres, and Stoll is out.

Am I missing someone. I don't thonk so. So for now, I have no problems with Sarno auditionning for the number 1 centre's job.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:07 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Well in case you haven't noticed, they are still trying to figure out this number one centre thing. Once Comrie is dealt, it'll be easier. I mean, who else do you suggest? Smyth is a lot more effective on the wing (although he did do an adequate job at centre), Horc is a lot more effective on the 4th line, you can't break up York, dvo and Torres, and Stoll is out.

Am I missing someone. I don't thonk so. So for now, I have no problems with Sarno auditionning for the number 1 centre's job.

I Know what they are doing and giving Sarno a chance on the first line is a decent move. I'm just trying to find the humor in their situation.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
I think it's cool. What harm is it going to do? Maybe Sarno will become the next Jason King. :-)

And maybe, just maybe, I will win the lottery one day.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Digger12

You know, if someone had told me back in August that Peter Sarno was going to be centering Smyth and Hemsky 13 games into the season at a game in Toronto, I would've had a big fat belly laugh.

Sarno must be pinching himself daily to make sure he isn't dreaming...one year ago he's toiling in Finland, wondering if this is the end of the line for his hockey career...NOW look at him. I hope he kicks butt in front of family, friends and a national audience tonight.

On a side note; I can't help but feel a bit bad for Stoll...this could've been his chance, if not for injury. It might still be yet.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:53 AM
vb

I like it too! He may not be fast or big, but he's paid his dues and he's got talent!

Old
11-08-2003, 09:10 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

wow, Smyth-Sarno-Hemsky....hope that will light a fire under Smyth and Hemsky. I'm really excited to see what they can do tonight. Good for Sarno. It pays off to be persistent.

Old
11-08-2003, 09:35 AM
Hemmer

Good move for the Oil.

Sarno can skate, shoot and pass. He has some definite offensive ability, and having him there IMO is not much different than having MC, with the exception that MC has a track record, and Sarno is in the process of establishing one.

I like what I have seen in terms of offensive ability out of Sarno thus far...this is an interesting step to see what kind of player he can be with top quality wingers.

Old
11-08-2003, 10:05 AM
Oiltown16

I have a feeling he'll start there and play the first period with them. Depending on how the Oilers are doing lines may and will be altered.

Old
11-08-2003, 11:26 AM
momentai

I'll reserve judgement until I see the line tonight. But I am concerned. Sarno's defensive presence isn't all that established... Combine that with Smyth and Hemsky's horrid in-zone performance against Ottawa, and I'm a little more than skeptical. MacT has to watch this line out there carefully.

Old
11-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Scorpion88

"I would rather see Sarno get a chance on the big line right now, than to see Horcoff there again." November 6, 2003

Geez, maybe the Oilers coaching staff actually read these boards and take some suggestions. HAHAHA. I just wanted to take credit for making this Sarno promotion call first.

Old
11-08-2003, 12:25 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
maybe he got DEMOTED from the 3rd line to the 4th line with smyth and hemsky...i guess the reality of that is not too great but it is an interesting way to look at things...perspective, perspective and finally i get to see a game on TV!!!! woohoo!!!!

Old
11-08-2003, 02:34 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
maybe he got DEMOTED from the 3rd line to the 4th line with smyth and hemsky...i guess the reality of that is not too great but it is an interesting way to look at things...perspective, perspective and finally i get to see a game on TV!!!! woohoo!!!!
So much for having a good offensive line, #27 is playing with those guys.

Apparently we're trying to win 0-0 now.........

Wait a minute...........

Closed Thread