HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brownlee is pissing me off!!!

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 05:39 AM
gretzky2kurri

vCash: 500
Brownlee is pissing me off!!!

Balls in Lowe's court

So what the hell does that mean? It was in Lowe's court yesterday and the day before too.

I'll be honest in saying that I don't think 89's potential new contract was holding up any of these possible swaps people have been speculating over the weeks. We all know that 89 and the prospective team would have to agree on contract before the deal went through. Comrie can "put his money were his mouth is" all he wants. I don't think it changes alot for Lowe other than poor teams can show interest. So Mike proved that it's not about money. What a surprise. Considering that's about the only thing ever says to the press anymore.

What ever Mikes problem is............it must be pretty HUGE.

Let him go to the Sabres on a cheap 1 year deal and Darcy can try to renew him at 1.5 after the lock-out......lol.

In one line, all Brownlee said was "It's time to make a deal."

I like what Lowe said.

"I don't know how many different ways I can say it," Lowe said as the Oilers skated at Lakeshore Arena. "I'm going to continue to do what's best for the Edmonton Oilers. If it's a trade, it's when we're ready and when we feel we're getting the type of trade that is going to benefit the hockey club."

I had to laugh at Winters quote.

"He's not saying much," Winter said. "Mike feels it's something he has to do. We hope we can put some pressure on the Oilers to pursue making a trade because that, at the end of the day, is what Mike feels is best for him.

Well at least you know he's a good agent and realises that for everyone involved from the Oilers, to the fans, to the press all the way to Comries camp.....that at the end of the day, Mike feels it's best for him. Tell us something new or shut up.

Truth is we don't really know who, and if someone else on the Oilers is being pined for in the deal too. This could have a huge bearing on Lowes decision to keep looking. I can see alot of GMs wanting to take advantage.

I think Lowe will do what's best for this club. And if it's the right deal people will soon forget the 50 games we all waited for it to happen.

It's GLARINGLY obvious that Brownlee just wants something else to write about. I like the guy, but sometimes he needs to shut his mouth.

Old
11-08-2003, 05:52 AM
Lowetide

This is Where I jump off the Train.

For the most part, I've honestly felt that Mike Comrie was a good kid getting bad advice. A young man uncomfortable with something in Edmonton, be it the spotlight, coach MacT, Kevin Lowe, the money.

Comes word today that MC and his agent have pitched NHL teams a deal that would see them sign for less that $1.13 million just to get out of Edmonton. They have a deadline of next week to get this done.

Quoting the Journal, this is Rich Winter:

"Teams have put offers on the table---offers we believe should be accepted. Mike has agreed to play with them this year for considerably less than the Oilers qualifying offer."

"The reason (Mike) has done this is to facilitate a trade. If (Lowe) is able to make a trade, befored that deadline occurs, then he'll have his best chance to get his best deal."

"If he doesn't, we may be sitting out all year---and I guess we'll have to live with that."

Sorry I don't have a link, but when I find it I'll post it.

Here's my take: WHY ON EARTH are they surprised and frustrated he's still sitting? Wasn't it pretty obvious this could happen?

I have always felt this was a case of Comrie getting bad advice. Now I think it's more about a spoiled brat finding out that holding his breath until he turns blue isn't working, and then moving the debate public.

I think all of us knew in our hearts this wouldn't be resolved with Comrie signing here, but to me it looks like we're in for a long month of ugly.

Bye Mike.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:05 AM
gretzky2kurri

It really bugs me to hear a frikkin agent say something like,

"Teams have put offers on the table---offers we believe should be accepted. Mike has agreed to play with them this year for considerably less than the Oilers qualifying offer."

Who the hell is he? I guess we don't need Kevin Lowe anymore.........Ritchie's got it all taken care of.

"should be accepted"? Gimme a break!

Lowe must be getting a pretty sour taste in his mouth every time Winter opens his.

What a moron!

Old
11-08-2003, 06:19 AM
Yanner39

Doesn't all agents think they could be GM of a team? Look at Barnett in Phoenix. The fact of the matter is, agents are clueless. They have one goal only: to make as much money as they can. They don't even consider others parties whatsoever. JMO

Old
11-08-2003, 06:31 AM
gretzky2kurri

This shows Mike wants to get playing. Does any of it have to do with showing his disgust with being an Oiler? "I want to leave so badly, me and my agent are gonna start saying psycho things but never give a real reason".

I often wonder if it's all about MacT.

Perhaps when Comrie learned that MacT got a new contract (assuming there's a big rift) over the summer, decided he wants to leave now.

Just a thought......................okay I'm out of ideas.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:47 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I often wonder if it's all about MacT.

I honestly think that's it.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:06 AM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Lafleur
Rich Winter and all agents are the curse of the league ..they are a bunck of blood sucking leeches .Winter makes me ill ..he lives in Edmonton and yet it seems he is always trying to get his clients outta town .I am sure Comrie could of worked out whatever was wrong and stayed here but Richy Poo wouldnt want that ..hey how about Rich winter get outta town !!!!
If young MC has to sit the whole year ..so be it ..Richy Poo took a chance and now he will pay the consequences .Lowe will get the best possible deal ....and if MC and Winterdink have to wait , even better .
Winter is such a moron ..i love it when the guy at 1260 interviews and you can tell Rich is so pi$$ed he could spit ...a dumb radio jock can outwith the twit ..well done 1260 keep up the good work!!!!

We should all seriously run this punk out of town, who care's if he's just doing his Job as an agent? We shouldn't welcome him as an Edmontonian... Can somebody who's going to the next Oiler's homegame do me a favor? Bring a sign that makes a mockery out of rich winter - the more the better! I'd personally go with:

Mike Comrie Weather Forecast: NO $RICH$ WINTER!

Old
11-08-2003, 07:07 AM
gretzky2kurri

I'M NOT DONE YET

Ritchie says: "I've been unable to talk to Kevin because he hasn't returned my calls in a week,"

What's he want to talk about? Just to remind Kevin that Mikey refuses to be an Oiler? This is pretty clear already.

It's obviously to fish around. Like Lowe wants to get together with Ritchie and go over where Mikey should go, and whats best for the Oilers?

Lowe is not obligated in anyway at this point to keep Comries party informed. There's nothing to talk about.

But Winter just has to mention that Lowe isn't returning his calls. Ritchie was probably happy when nobody answered. He was likely calling Kevins cottage in Salmon Arm.

After this Comrie camp has so bluntly stated that Mike doesn't want to be an Oiler.............why is there always such a need to talk phone Kevin all the time?

What would they talk about?

Right now all Kevin Lowe can do is think about his hockey team.

That doesn't involve how impatient Mikey and Ritchie are becoming.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:09 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I honestly think that's it.
Wasn't it mentioned in the article that MC was upset when AC got traded at the deadline. I remember some comments at the time by MC as well.

11-08-2003, 07:14 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Wasn't it mentioned in the article that MC was upset when AC got traded at the deadline. I remember some comments at the time by MC as well.
We were talking about the coach "I honestly think that's it." by lowetide , so your reply confuses me.

Unless you are suggesting the rift is with Lowe. (The guy that trades players)

Old
11-08-2003, 07:14 AM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
I'M NOT DONE YET

Ritchie says: "I've been unable to talk to Kevin because he hasn't returned my calls in a week,"

What's he want to talk about? Just to remind Kevin that Mikey refuses to be an Oiler? This is pretty clear already.

It's obviously to fish around. Like Lowe wants to get together with Ritchie and go over where Mikey should go, and whats best for the Oilers?

Lowe is not obligated in anyway at this point to keep Comries party informed. There's nothing to talk about.

But Winter just has to mention that Lowe isn't returning his calls. Ritchie was probably happy when nobody answered. He was likely calling Kevins cottage in Salmon Arm.

After this Comrie camp has so bluntly stated that Mike doesn't want to be an Oiler.............why is there always such a need to talk phone Kevin all the time?

What would they talk about?

Right now all Kevin Lowe can do is think about his hockey team.

That doesn't involve how impatient Mikey and Ritchie are becoming.

Seriously hey? I'm just so damn pi$$ed off at this point that a feel-good local town hero story got seriously pi$$ed on because of one agent's greed for dollars and more dollars. Rich, if you're listening... get the H-E- double hockey sticks out of Edmonton. You certainly ain't one of us and we don't welcome scum like you.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:27 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
We were talking about the coach "I honestly think that's it." by lowetide , so your reply confuses me.

Unless you are suggesting the rift is with Lowe. (The guy that trades players)
I recall at the deadlin the MC was upset that AC was traded. I'm not sure if an article about that was online though.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:29 AM
gretzky2kurri

No it's not about money! It's about getting your own way all the time.

Even at the expense of slapping your hometowns team in the face, treating it like it became a leper colony.

Look everyone........I don't want to play for the Oilers...........THIS MUCH!

What a little weasel!

You think Weight got booed when he came back? The roof is gonna come down this time.

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

Old
11-08-2003, 07:30 AM
igor*

Quote:
Balls in Lowe's court

So what the hell does that mean? It was in Lowe's court yesterday and the day before too.

I'll be honest in saying that I don't think 89's potential new contract was holding up any of these possible swaps people have been speculating over the weeks. We all know that 89 and the prospective team would have to agree on contract before the deal went through. Comrie can "put his money were his mouth is" all he wants. I don't think it changes alot for Lowe other than poor teams can show interest. So Mike proved that it's not about money. What a surprise. Considering that's about the only thing ever says to the press anymore.
I really think this is a VERY important step G2K. Though I don't trust the Comrie camp one iota ... I would like to hear Winter's complete statement, as I'm sure they have left themselves an out.

Otherwise why not just sign the Oilers qualifier and hold out? Why not do that in September?

Maybe this is an indication that Comrie WILL sign and hold out ... but until he actually does this its just talk.

I haven't posted too much on this situation, at least not about the basic negotiation, just because it seems pretty obvious. And nothing significant has changed since September, and won't until Comrie signs his qualifier with the Oilers, and the impasse becomes a hold-out.

The Comrie camp is making noises that Mike won't hold up any trade, that money is not an issue, nor is the destination team ... but I don't think many fans are foolish enough to believe them carte blanche.

If Comrie really feels this way ... why not just sign the Oilers qualifier from June? Why not sign it right now, deliver it to the Oilers, inform the papers and hold out? Why not? Quite frankly the only logical explanation IMO is that the Comrie camp is duplicitous, and therefore prefer verbal partial-truths through the newspapers to written confirmatoin of their stance.

This is a PM chat I had with speeds back in September ... and to my eye nothing has changed.

Re: comrie situation Fri, 19 September 2003 09:35

My guess:

I think that the source(s) is Rich Winter and/or colleagues and/or Bill Comrie. And I think he is the only source that there has ever been in this story.

I would be absoolutely shocked if Comrie had NOT requested a trade in the past. And more recently. But I don't really care.

I think that other teams are inquiring about Comrie, and that Lowe is listening. He would be foolish not to.

I think that teams that feel they might, possibly, eventually be able to work out a deal with Lowe for Comrie have contacted Winter to check on what it would take to get Comrie signed dollarwise. But I very seriously doubt they would have implied to Winter who else would be involved in any proposed deal.

I suspect that Winter is implying Kovalchuk as a return for Comrie for a reason ... to sway public opinion in favour of a Comrie trade. And I fear it might work. Having said that ... his previous hinting that Havlat might be coming back, that didn't fool anyone for long. Clearly Rich is running out of ideas.

I'm sure that Winter has floated this unsubstantiated scoop to every media outlet in town, but Short and Griffiths are the ones most desparate for ratings. And this is a shame ... I like them both.

I don't think that Lowe is in any rush to make a deal. And I think he probably realizes that he is in the driver's seat, and that a Comrie already signed to a reasonable contract is much more tradeable. (An unsigned Comrie ... he can pretty much pick his teams by making unrealistic salary demands for undesireable trade destinations). I think that if a few teams struggle early, or have key injuries to aging offensive players ... Comrie will carry more trade value.

I'm sure that Lowe is probably telling Winter that he doesn't give a toss whether or not Comrie WANTS to play here or not. Because he doesn't plan to trade him. And he won't even CONSIDER trading him until he is signed as an Oiler. But I'm not sure that Lowe means it, and I'm not sure that Winter believes him.

I think that this latest news flash will probably die off quickly. But if it doesn't Lowe will make a carefully worded retort that will sound like an outright denial of all aspects of the rumour, in a 'laughing it off' fashion.

We'll see. Interesting stuff though. In a way it is a shame that Slats isn't still around, he just loved this sort of gamesmanship.

If I'm Lowe I sit tight and keep saying the right things in a non-controversial and uninteresting way. Its way too early to blink IMO.

My point is that until today ... nothing has really happened since September ... other than the fact Lowe has garnered the support of most of the fans here in E-Town, which doesn't really change his negotiation position anyways, it just makes his life easier.

It seems that Lowe is smart and patient enough to be forcing Comrie to sign before he'll trade him. And it seems that the Comrie camp are finally starting to believe that Lowe will stick to his guns on this.

But instead of the Comrie camp signing the qualifying offer and holding out for a trade ... they are agreeing verbally to sign at this level with any team. Somehow I think Lowe would prefer 'a signature on the dotted line' to 'a kiss and a promise'. The Comrie camp is now offering the latter ... and this is the logical precursor to the former IMHO.

Bottom line ... Comrie will obviously never play here again, but he HAS to sign here if Lowe is doing his job correctly. And hopefully this is an indication that it is forthcoming.

My two cents.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:32 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
I recall at the deadlin the MC was upset that AC was traded. I'm not sure if an article about that was online though.
Yes we all remember that.

So you're saying you have a hunch it's Lowe he's pissed at?

Old
11-08-2003, 07:45 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Yeah and Carter has two goals for the Rangers and is on the trade block (according to all the rumours), as everyone else is saying. Winter should stick to being an agent and stop trying to tell Kevin Lowe how to do his job.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:54 AM
Shizuka

I can't say I am a big fan of The Sun's tabloid-style approach to journalism. Lowe will hopefully disregard the rantings of certain media outlets and stick to the team's objectives in any trade involving Comrie. Provided the team plays better, he can afford to play the waiting game. If we tank, that will force his hand somewhat.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:07 AM
hockeyaddict101

Both papers reported it

and to me that is not a problem.

It was newsworthy, but really Winter and Comrie have made a mistake. Really the only way Lowe will be pressured to made a trade is if the Oilers nosedive or the fans pressure him to make a deal.

Judging from the reaction, it made Oiler fans angry all right, angry enough to have Brick boy sit all year.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Shizuka

The Journal did not editorialize the column, pressing for a trade like Brownlee (who used to work for the Journal, while Barnes was over at the Sun!). I just don't enjoy the subjective slants in news. I know, it's not exactly grim reports on conflict and strife. We tend to take our hockey a bit seriously though

Old
11-08-2003, 08:26 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka
The Journal did not editorialize the column, pressing for a trade like Brownlee (who used to work for the Journal, while Barnes was over at the Sun!). I just don't enjoy the subjective slants in news. I know, it's not exactly grim reports on conflict and strife. We tend to take our hockey a bit seriously though
At the risk of seeming cynical, I tend to agree with a point Bryn Griffiths made:

1. The Journal is a business partner of the Oilers.

2. 'The Brick' is a major advertiser in The Sun.

Think this plays into the thinking of the editors and publishers on this issue? To me it is difficult to imagine that it wouldn't.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Shizuka

Hadn't thought about it from that angle, but I suppose it would affect things to some extent wouldn't it? And you've every right to be cynical about the media. However, I still prefer to read a relatively objective article, rather than see the author liberally interject with his own opinions. Is Brownlee's column considered a sports editorial? If that's the case then I'm obviously in the wrong here...

Old
11-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

I can honestly say I've never been more impressed with Lowe than right now. He's handling this situation like a brilliant tactician, AND conducting himself with honour and class. Perhaps he's finally learned from his past mistakes.

Of course, the real test will come when he finally pulls the trigger...

Don't screw this up KLo, you've got a good thing going here.

Old
11-08-2003, 11:16 AM
Asiaoil

It's all speculation on my part - but I think the truth is probably a mix of LTs and G2Ks ideas.

Little Mikey has had things his own way in every situation up till now - and frankly can't stand that he's not in the driver's seat with everyone whispering in his ear just how wonderful he is. In fact just the opposite is happening. He's also gotten very very bad advise from Winter. The Tom Poti events should have been an obvious example for Winter. Lowe has the whip in his hands (as he did with Poti) and MC had a choice - accept his qualifier or sit. MC could have accepted the qualifier, requested a trade, and played until a deal was struck - that would have been smart advise from his agent. Clearly Winter is not that smart though and now he's getting desperate. So in the end Comrie looks terrible from a PR perspective, he's losing money sitting out and his next contract will be for relative peanuts - nice work Rich

The end is near kiddies - and having all monitary issues attached with MC fade away just ramped up his value considerably. Suddenly the players being discussed are more interesting: Lupul, Frolov, Coburn - yeah that's better. Lowe has a list of players that he wants though - and if you take the Poti trade as an example again - he won't move until he gets one of them.

Old
11-08-2003, 11:21 AM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent

Excellent...

Old
11-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Aziolkowski

Send a message via Yahoo to Aziolkowski
Why exactly would Winter impose a deadline for a trade then say that if he doesn't get it he will sit out the year.

1. If he doesn't get traded there is a good chance he will sit out the year. ( A little Obvious)

2. If he does get traded to a team regardless if it is after the self imposed deadline Winter set he'll play.It would hurt him just as much as it would hurt the oilers if he sat out. He likes hockey even if he doesn't like the Oilers.

3. What would it benifit him to set out the year when he knows that there will be a lockout next year there is an outside chance he will be sitting for almost three years if the lockout goes as long as it could. Get the money while you can.

4. If it is true the comrie will sign for less then the qualifying offer what point would there be to put this in the paper exept in an attempt to pressue lowe. (it backfired in that it shows how much of a whiner winter can be) I'm sure the GM's on all prospective teams already knew that as did lowe. I would love of comrie to sign a qualifying offer lower then what lowe offered. Lowe could match and pay the salery in canadian dollors in the first year of the contract through the NHL's candian stabalization policy. If he chose to hold out lowe would not have to pay him and it would just make winter look stupid.

5. Based on what lowe said recently that evn if the oiler's lost 20 in a row he won't be pressued into making a deal unless it is the right one. It is strange really the best bargining position that conrie could have put himself in is to remain polite and keep quiet. With Winter putting on the pressure both comrie and winter now seem desprete for a deal. The more desprite they get the calmer lowe seems to be. The quieter they where the more advantage they seemed to have.

Loved the 30% off no intrest till 2005 comment!!

Closed Thread