HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kyle Chichura's Potential

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2006, 07:22 PM
  #1
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,530
vCash: 500
Kyle Chichura's Potential

We already talked about this subject in the past, but I was reading the Hockey News Mag and red that Chipchura is more of a playmaker, but when he has two skilled fowards beside him, he can score more goals. That's why I'm wondering if Chipchura, who many of us beleive that he will be an awesome third line player, could become our next second line center...

Gainey have to talk with Timmins about it because he's not far away from the NHL and if Bob wants to sign a center, he has to think about how long the vontract will be...

Chipchura needs at least one year in Hamilton...after that, he migh start on our third line. After one or two year there, he might become our second line center. So it's 3 to 4 years...probably the lengh of Arnott, for exemple. In the meanwhile, what role will we give to Plekanec? The top 3 would be full and he's too good to play on the 4th line.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 07:29 PM
  #2
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,437
vCash: 500
From what I've seen, his shooting would be the only thing holding him back. If he can somehow work on it to make it more lethal, he could definitely become a very good 2nd liner.

I don't expect more than a 10-15 goal (most of them being of the garbage variety) player. He should be able to get a decent amount of assists though...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 07:29 PM
  #3
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
We already talked about this subject in the past, but I was reading the Hockey News Mag and red that Chipchura is more of a playmaker, but when he has two skilled fowards beside him, he can score more goals. That's why I'm wondering if Chipchura, who many of us beleive that he will be an awesome third line player, could become our next second line center...

Gainey have to talk with Timmins about it because he's not far away from the NHL and if Bob wants to sign a center, he has to think about how long the vontract will be...

Chipchura needs at least one year in Hamilton...after that, he migh start on our third line. After one or two year there, he might become our second line center. So it's 3 to 4 years...probably the lengh of Arnott, for exemple. In the meanwhile, what role will we give to Plekanec? The top 3 would be full and he's too good to play on the 4th line.
Chipchura has a skating problem. He has great vision, good passing skills, an accurate shot, is good in the corners but is somewhat slow. Devon Segotucci skated circles around him in the last game I saw. He will replace Bonk in 2 years.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 07:52 PM
  #4
kostitsyn1489
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louiseville, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,448
vCash: 500
I hope he'll play on the second but I think he'll be a great third liner.

I think he could be a good PP player in front of the net too.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 09:00 PM
  #5
sbtatter
Registered User
 
sbtatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,199
vCash: 500
Chipchura's skating would be a cause for concern. Ever since that achilles injury a couple years ago he has only shown average speed in the WHL. Great face off guy and lots of grit.
White has a lot more scoring potential than Chipchura, and is a more chippy player who is willing to drop the gloves to defend team mates....

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 09:18 PM
  #6
SuperUnknown
Registered User
 
SuperUnknown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter
Chipchura's skating would be a cause for concern. Ever since that achilles injury a couple years ago he has only shown average speed in the WHL. Great face off guy and lots of grit.
White has a lot more scoring potential than Chipchura, and is a more chippy player who is willing to drop the gloves to defend team mates....
Chipchura is willing to drop the gloves and he's a good fighter. He didn't do it much in his last season mostly because he was more important on the ice than in the penalty box.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 11:51 PM
  #7
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Plekanec is quicker and more suited for the second line center role than Chipchura... I like Chipchu alot but I really think he will be an ideal third line center for us..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 12:34 AM
  #8
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
The Chipchura i saw last year didnt have a skating problem...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 12:43 AM
  #9
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 34,344
vCash: 256
I think he will be a very good 3rd line player a la P.J. Axelsson or Fernando Pisani for example

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 01:11 AM
  #10
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
im excited to see what he can do in the AHL this year!!!

He might get top line center duties or at least 2nd line duties. They might employ Locke on line 2 and Chipchura on line 1.

That way Hamilton could go top line vs top line. Chipchura would really excell there.
And at the same time it gives Locke the oppertunity to play his role if he ever makes it to the NHL(2nd line Center).

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 01:13 AM
  #11
Toro
Registered User
 
Toro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
im excited to see what he can do in the AHL this year!!!

He might get top line center duties or at least 2nd line duties. They might employ Locke on line 2 and Chipchura on line 1.

That way Hamilton could go top line vs top line. Chipchura would really excell there.
And at the same time it gives Locke the oppertunity to play his role if he ever makes it to the NHL(2nd line Center).


Of course we have, Grabovski(center) coming over to try for the Habs this year. He may have to start the year in the AHL though.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 02:45 AM
  #12
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Chipchura has a skating problem. He has great vision, good passing skills, an accurate shot, is good in the corners but is somewhat slow. Devon Segotucci skated circles around him in the last game I saw. He will replace Bonk in 2 years.
That's all we ever seem to hear about our prospects. Either they're fantastic skaters or it's a problem. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong here, but skating is definitely one issue that immediately is thought of as a 'concern' when they're not blazingly fast.


Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 06-30-2006 at 02:59 AM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 03:47 AM
  #13
eddy
Registered User
 
eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,677
vCash: 500
It would have been interesting to see what kind of numbers Chipchura could have put up had he been playing on a decent team. He's not known for having outstanding offensive ability yet he still led his team in points last year and the year before that was in the top 20 in WHL before suffering that freak injury. During the WJC he had the luxury of being surrounded by players much much better than what he was used to in PA and put up a good amount of points can't remember exactly but he was up there and tied for the lead in goals with Boyd on the team with 4 though they weren't all pretty. That said I think his offensive potential is a bit underrated but I still don't see him being any more than a 2nd liner, I personnly see him settling in as a 3rd liner, a very good one at that being one of the leagues best in his role.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:19 AM
  #14
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,811
vCash: 725
Chipchura is the perfect third line center. Saw Chipper a couple of times this year too and I think his skating is not that bad. Was impressed by his short stint with the Dogs, and believe after a full year, he'll be able to jump right in. The Bonk post-era will then begin, and I'll be very happy about that!!!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 09:49 AM
  #15
Top Corner2
Registered User
 
Top Corner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,662
vCash: 500
Everybody around here had Higgins as a third liner also....I think you guys are being a little tough on Chipper. I think this guy can put up points. I think he will be a good 2 way hockey player...maybe something like a langenbrunner. You might be right that he won't put up a lot of points...but I wouldn't say he doesn't have the potential to do so.

BTW I think he has a chance to win a spot on the club this year. If not at the start of the year, definitely by the end.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 09:58 AM
  #16
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,447
vCash: 500
Right now Chipchura's future potential is cloudy at best. He certainly has some aspects to his game that look great, and some that evoke questions. I think theis upcoming year in Hamilton will shed alot of light on his future potential. With a little improve is some key areas, I can't see why Chipchura can't become a top six forward. Without the improvemnt in those areas, he could still be a servicable bottom two line NHL'er.

__________________
Hey look, it's Duffman; the guy in a costume that creates awareness of Duff!
Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 10:28 AM
  #17
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Right now Chipchura's future potential is cloudy at best. He certainly has some aspects to his game that look great, and some that evoke questions. I think theis upcoming year in Hamilton will shed alot of light on his future potential. With a little improve is some key areas, I can't see why Chipchura can't become a top six forward. Without the improvemnt in those areas, he could still be a servicable bottom two line NHL'er.


Best answer so far... I agree completely.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 11:01 AM
  #18
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Right now Chipchura's future potential is cloudy at best. He certainly has some aspects to his game that look great, and some that evoke questions. I think theis upcoming year in Hamilton will shed alot of light on his future potential. With a little improve is some key areas, I can't see why Chipchura can't become a top six forward. Without the improvemnt in those areas, he could still be a servicable bottom two line NHL'er.
Good answer. Ive seen him play 20 times or so and he just doesnt have the speed the Habs need on the top lines. The rest would be waiting for him. He can everything else so well he would easily replace Bonk in 2 years. His hockey sense and puck distribution from the corner and then moving to the front of the net is exceptional. A very smart gritty hockey player.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 11:11 AM
  #19
Malefic74
Registered User
 
Malefic74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halfway between Nothing and Not Much Else
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 500
Throughout his minor league career Chipchura was a gunner. A friend of mine who was coaching in midget watched Chipchura singlehandedly destroy his team and knock them out of the playoffs. THe kid can score and definiately has a nose for the net.

Then he goes to PA and the coaches there see he has the offensive instincts but is weaker on the defensive side. So they work with on it and to his credit Chipchura works hard and adapts an purely offensive game into a more all around game. That is encouraging. It shows that he is coachable and has good hockey sense to adapt to new roles which he did again at the WJC.

I have no doubts about his making the team, and with his willingness and ability to play multiple roles on the ice he will be a valuable piece. As for potential.... I don't think putting him up with Peca or Brind-amour is outrageous, but he will have to work hard to get there.

Malefic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 11:31 AM
  #20
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
Throughout his minor league career Chipchura was a gunner. A friend of mine who was coaching in midget watched Chipchura singlehandedly destroy his team and knock them out of the playoffs. THe kid can score and definiately has a nose for the net.

Then he goes to PA and the coaches there see he has the offensive instincts but is weaker on the defensive side. So they work with on it and to his credit Chipchura works hard and adapts an purely offensive game into a more all around game. That is encouraging. It shows that he is coachable and has good hockey sense to adapt to new roles which he did again at the WJC.

I have no doubts about his making the team, and with his willingness and ability to play multiple roles on the ice he will be a valuable piece. As for potential.... I don't think putting him up with Peca or Brind-amour is outrageous, but he will have to work hard to get there.
Yes, people often miss that he has a nice accurate shot especially in close. He doesnt have the speed of those 2 but has the size and grit most definitely.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:14 PM
  #21
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,123
vCash: 500
Everything I read on him was similar to what I read on Brian Sutherby.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:17 PM
  #22
habsprospects
Irresponsible User
 
habsprospects's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
It would have been interesting to see what kind of numbers Chipchura could have put up had he been playing on a decent team. He's not known for having outstanding offensive ability yet he still led his team in points last year and the year before that was in the top 20 in WHL before suffering that freak injury. During the WJC he had the luxury of being surrounded by players much much better than what he was used to in PA and put up a good amount of points can't remember exactly but he was up there and tied for the lead in goals with Boyd on the team with 4 though they weren't all pretty. That said I think his offensive potential is a bit underrated but I still don't see him being any more than a 2nd liner, I personnly see him settling in as a 3rd liner, a very good one at that being one of the leagues best in his role.
http://habsprospects.hockeyhq.net/chipchura.html
6 gp, 4 g 5 pts

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.