HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arnott or Roenick

View Poll Results: Arnott or Roenick?
Arnott at 5-6 million per year 29 36.25%
Roenick at 2-3 million per yr. including bonuses 51 63.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-30-2006, 12:05 AM
Toro

vCash: 500
Arnott or Roenick

Who would U like MTL to sign??

Arnott at apx 5-6 million per yr.

Roenick at apx 2-3 million including bonuses(a base salary of around 1.5 million)

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 12:08 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro
Who would U like MTL to sign??

Arnott at apx 5-6 million per yr.

Roenick at apx 2-3 million including bonuses
Why isn't neither one of the choices?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 12:10 AM
znk

I dont know.

Both could be a risk.
With Arnot you are stuck for 3-4 years.
With Roenick it's going to be a 1 year contract. So if he sux its not so bad.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Toro

This thread is about which risk would u rather Gainey choose if he had to choose one.

ok?

Old
06-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
I dont know.

Both could be a risk.
With Arnot you are stuck for 3-4 years.
With Roenick it's going to be a 1 year contract. So if he sux its not so bad.

right

Arnott wants a long term deal

roenick wants a 1 yr deal.

Old
06-30-2006, 12:33 AM
habs_24x

Im sure this is a joke...Arnott wayyyyyy before Roenick. Some people are saying we would be "stuck" with his contract for 4 years but this is actually a good thing.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 12:35 AM
Markov79

Roenick. Him and the Montreal media would go great together.

Markov79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

wow 5-6 million to Arnott I'll take Roenick for 1 year

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 12:43 AM
hockey_nut

JR's getting no more than $1.5M next season.... and there's no chance Arnott's getting $5M a year...

i don't want JR... and if it'll cost us $5M to get Arnott, i say pass!

hockey_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Toro

Roenick would be a good gamble, i would take him.

With our development of prospects and the strength of free agency every year i would pass on arnott

But arnott is good too, but not fast and old.

Arnott had a great season last year, production wise.
And will have many offers.( a bidding war )

Roenick will be sought after as well but wants to play in canada, or an american team that has history and loyal fans like Detroit, but my guess is either Vancouver or Calgary.

Unless Gainey wants him, remember the unexpected? is what gainey is going to do.

Old
06-30-2006, 04:09 AM
eddy

I like Arnott much more, though as much as I dislike Roenick at that price for Arnott I'd rather go with JR. I'd really want Arnott in Montreal if we could get him at a good deal and we may have the type of guys in Montreal to swing that as theres quite a few Dallas connections in our staff. Roenicks the type of guy you love to have on your team and hate to play against and if he's got a year or two left in him he could probably do us some good but it's a gamble and I really don't see Gainey going for him.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 04:34 AM
Marksman

If this was the case I would not want neither.

Roenick + City of Montreal is an accident waiting to happen ... even if you get rid of him next year he could disrupt the team with his act if you need to deal good players to make room for him. What if he isnt good anymore? Selanne had a whole year to heal from his knee problems - concussion related worries take much more time, certainly not dealt over one summer break. Even if he does manage to keep his mind and body together and has a productive season we would be in this same position again next year, looking for next top 2 centerman.

Arnott - granting that kind of a contract to anyone coming outside our own team would break our salary structure. It would have bad effects for our team chemistry - at the very least I'd imagine Kovalev getting upset getting some bad rap after playoffs. But I'm also positive Mr Gainey can negotiate better deal for Habs - or have sense to walk away if his brother asked too much. Something around three years at 13M + player option year at 3M would be my limit. If thats not enough, so be it, let him have fun with Atlanta missing playoffs for the rest of his career.

Last edited by Marksman: 06-30-2006 at 04:47 AM.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 04:54 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Even if he does manage to keep his mind and body together and has a productive season we would be in this same position again next year, looking for next top 2 centerman.
But if we were to give Roenick a 1 year deal, after that year:

- We can see if Roenick has another year left in him or not.
- The range of centres who will be UFAs may be better (don't know about this one, might be though).
- We may be able to build from within. This next year will be a chance for Plekanec to gain more experience and hopefully prepare for a future role of 2nd line C. Chipchuras development may also be at the point after this next season where he can step into the NHL on either the 3rd or 4th line.
- We would keep our options open and have cap space available in case there is a really good option available.

Out of the two, I'd go with Roenick for a year and hopefully he shows he can still play. If not, we still have Ribs in reserve.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 05:38 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave
But if we were to give Roenick a 1 year deal, after that year:

- We can see if Roenick has another year left in him or not.
- The range of centres who will be UFAs may be better (don't know about this one, might be though).
- We may be able to build from within. This next year will be a chance for Plekanec to gain more experience and hopefully prepare for a future role of 2nd line C. Chipchuras development may also be at the point after this next season where he can step into the NHL on either the 3rd or 4th line.
- We would keep our options open and have cap space available in case there is a really good option available.

Out of the two, I'd go with Roenick for a year and hopefully he shows he can still play. If not, we still have Ribs in reserve.
I dont like that tactic, hoping and getting project players to play your key positions. Leafs and Penguins tried that last year.

My main problem with Roenick is there is no chance he would become core player for us - hes that much older and I see his pitch done mainly for personal reasons (to get bigger contract elsewhere if he had a good year). He would be just band-aid solution for one year, not helping much in building stronger future team.

I'd like to see Habs have that good centerman next season rather than waiting to see what there might be available next off-season. I very much doubt anyone lets their better centerman go ... even then most of them have no ties with Montreal management (as with Arnott).

Just curious... where would you keep Ribs in reserve? I personally dont see him fit anywhere if we hire either of these centermen - much like the case with Yanic Perreault.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Roenick is washed up. He had a very good career but he's clearly lost a step. Arnott can still put up good numbers in the league and is a lot bigger. Give me Arnott anyday.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:57 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
My main problem with Roenick is there is no chance he would become core player for us - hes that much older and I see his pitch done mainly for personal reasons (to get bigger contract elsewhere if he had a good year). He would be just band-aid solution for one year, not helping much in building stronger future team.

I'd like to see Habs have that good centerman next season rather than waiting to see what there might be available next off-season. I very much doubt anyone lets their better centerman go ... even then most of them have no ties with Montreal management (as with Arnott).

Just curious... where would you keep Ribs in reserve? I personally dont see him fit anywhere if we hire either of these centermen - much like the case with Yanic Perreault.
I can understand your concerns about Roenick not having much of a future with us, but with Arnott, yes, he is coming off a good year but for the figures talked about at the top of this thread for long term, I'd say no. If we were to get him, it would have to be for something more along the lines of your idea, the $13m, 3 yr type deal (but i can't see him signing for that little personally). If we are spending $5m + on him then I wouldn't even take him over 1 or 2 years. One concern i have with Arnott is if he is going to be as effective for the next 3 years (for example) as he was last year. Last year was a standout year for him stats wise and it happened just before he became a UFA. My concern is that we get him long term and then he plays average. Roenick sounds very assertive so far and determined to prove himself again. He has his motivation. I'd just be worried that Arnotts motivation might be payed into his account every 2 weeks. That's probably an unfair comment to him, but it's still a concern.

As for the Ribs thing, i was thinking short term, over the first few months of the season in case Roenick got (re)injured. We may be able to keep him around in that situation (bench, other position, playing a few games - although this isn't likely/ideal) and provide relief when the inevitable injuries hit our centres. And while all occassions in the past show that Ribs is ineffective unless playing C, who knows, maybe Carbo can find something to stir him. I'm certainly not expecting it to happen, but it's a possibility still.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:05 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Based on who I want for a lot of reasons, for me it's Arnott. Based on the probable return on investment, well it's truly possible that the 5 millions to a guy (Arnott) who has that tendancy of playing 1 game out of 3 and that could sit on his contract as well VS a guy who's only motive, or so he say, is to redeem himself and that it's not about money but about showing to the face of the world that he could do a Selanne out of himself, well if you believe him, Roenick may have the advantage there......Both are risks though, but nobody is safe as far as this year's UFA are concerned.....It's either you risk it, or you risk it.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:44 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I would take the mouth first since he would have a low base salary and if his salary does become higher it's because he is playing well and meeting bonuses. Also he wants a one year deal which would leave flexibility for next years crop of UFA or a trade.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 08:12 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911
Why isn't neither one of the choices?
Exactly! At the prices listed, I wouldn't touch either of them.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 08:51 AM
GoHabsGO252006

Well, the way that's phrased i'm assuming that JR meets his bonuses which means he had a very good year so i'll take JR.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Squeaky

I want Arnott more, but given the salary #s next to the guys, I had to vote for Roenick. No way is Arnott worth 6 million, that's just silly.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Jakomyte

I'm not sold enough on Arnott to give him the long-term deal he is apparently looking for (and definetely not at this $5million price range we are talking about). I'm not crazy about Roenick either... but the good thing about him is that he would sign a 1-year contract... Worst case scenario, he sucks and we stick with Ribeiro on the 2nd line.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote