HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk Pitkanen

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2003, 03:00 AM
  #1
Rex8
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Joni in a long season - Merged the 2 Joni threads.

Is anyone worried about him wearing down this year?
Should he be sat occasionally, especially with 7 dmen?
I still have painful memories of KJ looking poor after wearing down in his first full year with us.
For that matter, should some of the vets get a night off every now and then?

 
Old
11-07-2003, 04:05 AM
  #2
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex8
Is anyone worried about him wearing down this year?
Should he be sat occasionally, especially with 7 dmen?
I still have painful memories of KJ looking poor after wearing down in his first full year with us.
For that matter, should some of the vets get a night off every now and then?
You can't really say now, it might catch up with him but I won't put too much stock in that. He's a young kid and probably has more energy than most on the team, it's just a matter of getting banged up night in and out that can eventually F him up. I just don't even want to think about it, as far as I'm oncerned he should be there for the majority of the season, and I'm quite excited to see what he brings to the table come playoff time. The vets on the other hand might need some time off and will use the "Flu" excuse to get it.

Teezax is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 04:33 AM
  #3
Banger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 927
vCash: 500
Let's talk Pitkanen

What else can you say about this kid. He does so many things so well it’s amazing. Great skater, great at jumping in the play, great outlet passer, great on the point on the powerplay, gets his shots on net and almost always results in a rebound, amazingly calm with the puck, uses his reach and is great pokechecker, I even saw him play the body a few times last night. I have not seen a hole yet in this kids game. Originally I thought his aggressiveness rushing the puck and moving up in the play would result in odd man rushes but he reads the play so well and takes what the defense gives him and rarely gets caught out of position.

At the 12 game point, he’s already playing over 18 minutes a game, is on their #1 power play unit, +7 with 7 points. At the 12 game point he is already the flyers best defensemen. It’s really scary to think how good he will be in 3-5 years when he grows into his frame. In years to come people will look at the trade that Clarke pulled off and wonder what the hell TB was thinking in giving a franchise player like him up for near nothing (they are actually doing that already). Am I crazy or do others feel the same??

Banger is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 05:09 AM
  #4
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,729
vCash: 705
We need Pitkanen for the playoffs more than we need him for now. If sitting him every now and then will keep him fresh then it needs to be done. If the games where he doesn't play affects the offense and power play then we need to have someone taking his place that can fill his role (not Therien or Vandermeer)

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 05:12 AM
  #5
Teezax
Registered User
 
Teezax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger
What else can you say about this kid. He does so many things so well it’s amazing. Great skater, great at jumping in the play, great outlet passer, great on the point on the powerplay, gets his shots on net and almost always results in a rebound, amazingly calm with the puck, uses his reach and is great pokechecker, I even saw him play the body a few times last night. I have not seen a hole yet in this kids game. Originally I thought his aggressiveness rushing the puck and moving up in the play would result in odd man rushes but he reads the play so well and takes what the defense gives him and rarely gets caught out of position.

At the 12 game point, he’s already playing over 18 minutes a game, is on their #1 power play unit, +7 with 7 points. At the 12 game point he is already the flyers best defensemen. It’s really scary to think how good he will be in 3-5 years when he grows into his frame. In years to come people will look at the trade that Clarke pulled off and wonder what the hell TB was thinking in giving a franchise player like him up for near nothing (they are actually doing that already). Am I crazy or do others feel the same??
the kid is the real deal as far as i'm concerned, there's no doubt in my mind that he has Lidstrom potential written all over him. He gets praised by everyone in the hockey world and there's a reason why he was projected as the top european in the draft. Tampa must be kicking htemselves in the butt especially after Tortorella placed Fedotenko as a healthy scratch the other day. This trade goes out to all the Clarke bashers on these boards, funny, the only thing they remember is the Oates deal, but no one evr considers these ones:

Pitkanen for Fedotenko and 2 2nd's
Kapanen for St Jacques and Brendl
Amonte for peanuts
Esche and Handzus for Boucher
Brashear for Hlavac (remember the bashing we got for that one)
Lindros for Johnsson Kapanen and Brash (if you consider the prior trades)
Lapointe for peanuts

If you look at these trades in the last couple of years, you wonder how anyone thinks Clarke is not a good GM. All the players we gave up have been scratched at one point or another. I think we finally have a great core of players and are sound enough not to make any trades in the near future.

Teezax is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 05:31 AM
  #6
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Horsham (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
I agree. Pitkanen really plays a mature game out there.

Cuiff is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 05:39 AM
  #7
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,395
vCash: 500
A few things on Pitkanen:

#1. He has been everything advertsied and more.

#2. If he stays healthy he has a good chance to become the best defenseman in Flyers history.

#3. He is NOT our best defenseman at this time., and nor should we expect him to be. Allow him to make some rokie mistakes, and don't rush him and put him in spots that could effect his confidence.

#4. He has certainly helped our PP, but he is far from the only reason why the PP is better.


Our puck movement is much quicker.

We're getting in front of the net and getting those garbage goals.

Our entire PP is essentially built around 2 plays. Working everything around the right side boads, point man, and player to the right side of the net.

By doing the same things over and over and over again, we are moving the puck quicker, no standing around, and throwing more pucks on the net.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 05:45 AM
  #8
donelikedinner
Registered User
 
donelikedinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a house
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,548
vCash: 500
i agree that pitkanen has been outstanding, it is a treat to watch such a good skater on the blueline. during last night's game, the Caps announcers compared him to Leetch (but, just a bit bigger).

the future is going to be great. i hope that in a few years our top line will be pitkanen + woywitka. the smooth skating and puck handling of pitkanen and woywitka's hits and solid 'at home' style should atleast be very entertaining to watch.

the flyers future is bright, and it all starts from the blueline!

donelikedinner is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 05:46 AM
  #9
Flyers26
 
Flyers26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: We must accept disap
Country: United States
Posts: 7,663
vCash: 500
He's only playing about 18min a game.
With the proper use, he'll be fine. I'm sure Hitch is smart enough not to let him wear down.

Flyers26 is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 10:26 AM
  #10
panayiotis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 500
dont be a mother

Just enjoy the kid rock out. Hartsburgh will guide the kid. If he fades later on so be it. He is a rookie not a seasoned vet. There is a ton of growing in front of him.

panayiotis is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 11:05 AM
  #11
Blatny Spears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toxostoma rufum
Posts: 911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
Pitkanen for Fedotenko and 2 2nd's
Kapanen for St Jacques and Brendl
Amonte for peanuts
Esche and Handzus for Boucher
Brashear for Hlavac (remember the bashing we got for that one)
Lindros for Johnsson Kapanen and Brash (if you consider the prior trades)
Lapointe for peanuts
You forgot the brutal Lessard for a 3rd and a 7th. Awful deal for Atlanta - Lessard sucks. We did get you for two 6ths for Kirby Law, though. One of those picks was used on Pasi Nurminen and the other on Darcy Hordichuk.

Blatny Spears is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.