HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miss 2007 playoffs...

Old
07-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Pens' fan here. And though I would not trade our future for yours or virtually any other team in the NHL's ( and would say that the view of our defense above is a bit dated. We have a pretty deep and talented talent pool among our defensive prospects), let me tell you from experience. Losing sucks. Sucks is not even strong enough of a word. I would not recommend it. And lots of teams perfect losing. But not all the teams who try this method end up with a Cup or even great talent pool. Most suck for a reason. The Pens were lucky in their recent suckage. If you are going to suck do so when players like Malkin and Crosby come along and win a lottery where you have a one in fifteen chance of winning. What this thread fails in noting is that players like Malkin and Crosby do not come every year, and even top five picks fail. The Pens again have been very very lucky in that it seems that the bust rate or even having a so-so player rate will be low of those top picks. Again, an unusual thing actually. At least one of five will bust. Using the Pens as a blueprint would be a huge error. Chances are not very good that you end up with the next Crosby. And what did you think? Rip the team down one year and start counting the cups? These rebuilds once started do not usually last a year. You tear the roster down and you will face usually at least a half decade rebuild, often more. At the end? If you really think that every team ends up with a Crosby, Ovechkin or Malkin by doing it then that it just nuts. You all are doing just fine as you are. Hopefully soon we can give you a run for your money sooner rather than later though. But that is just the thing. Who knows how much longer that will be? Have I said yet how much that losing sucks?

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:03 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus
Obviously you think we will go deep into playoffs in 2006-2007.
Obviously you do not want to miss playoffs for one stinky year adding a few 1st round top 15 over all and a few 2nd round picks in what looks to be a very good 2007 draft.

The objective of every hockey season is to win the cup not making playoffs with 1st or 2nd round exits with exception of 2003-2004 and thatís exactly what Flyers were doing since 1997 exit.
You feel like Flyers can win the cup this year and I do not because of that reason in the end of the season at the dead line I want to trade Primeau, Knuble, Esche for very good returns, Kapanen and Nedved(Nedved will not get us anything) and if possible one of Hatcher or Rathje last 3 guys will be almost impossible to trade especially Hatcher or Rathje.
I want to keep Forsberg and Handzus veterans and resign Gagne, Pitkanen, Umberger.
Your logic is very flawed. You want very good returns on Primeau who has negative trade value, Knuble-would probably bring something good, and Esche who will get a draft pick on his own. If they will be impossible to trade as you say the Flyers would have to include picks and or younger players to teams to take them off their hands. Wouldn't that be considered going backwards?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:30 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Pens' fan here. And though I would not trade our future for yours or virtually any other team in the NHL's ( and would say that the view of our defense above is a bit dated. We have a pretty deep and talented talent pool among our defensive prospects), let me tell you from experience. Losing sucks. Sucks is not even strong enough of a word. I would not recommend it. And lots of teams perfect losing. But not all the teams who try this method end up with a Cup or even great talent pool. Most suck for a reason. The Pens were lucky in their recent suckage. If you are going to suck do so when players like Malkin and Crosby come along and win a lottery where you have a one in fifteen chance of winning. What this thread fails in noting is that players like Malkin and Crosby do not come every year, and even top five picks fail. The Pens again have been very very lucky in that it seems that the bust rate or even having a so-so player rate will be low of those top picks. Again, an unusual thing actually. At least one of five will bust. Using the Pens as a blueprint would be a huge error. Chances are not very good that you end up with the next Crosby. And what did you think? Rip the team down one year and start counting the cups? These rebuilds once started do not usually last a year. You tear the roster down and you will face usually at least a half decade rebuild, often more. At the end? If you really think that every team ends up with a Crosby, Ovechkin or Malkin by doing it then that it just nuts. You all are doing just fine as you are. Hopefully soon we can give you a run for your money sooner rather than later though. But that is just the thing. Who knows how much longer that will be? Have I said yet how much that losing sucks?
nice post.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
For once i agree with you Good post

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Kaktus*

Losing sucks. I am talking about calculated move.

2006 Lost to Buffalo 4-2 1st round
2005 N/A
2004 Lost to Tampa Bay, 4-3, 3rd round
2003 Lost to Ottawa, 4-2, 2nd round
2002 Lost to Ottawa, 4-1, 1sr round
2001 Lost to Buffalo, 4-2, 1st round
2000 Lost to New Jersey, 4-3, 3rd round
1999 Lost to Toronto, 4-2, 1st round
1998 Lost to Buffalo, 4-1, 1st round
1997 Lost to Detroit, 4-0, Stanley Cup Finals
1996 Lost to Florida, 4-2, 2nd round

Last edited by Kaktus*: 07-01-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 12:45 PM
GernerPSU

Send a message via AIM to GernerPSU
There is no reason for the Flyers to go into a rebuilding mode. Its painful for everybody involved and for a future that is far from certain. Besides, above all other sports, a low seed has the best chance of winning in the playoffs in hockey. You can get hot and bam, you won the cup. Obviously I can understand the feeling of making the playoffs year after year but not winning it all(I'm a lifelong Steeler fan.) Only one team goes home happy at the end of the season. The rest don't go home and blow up their team.

GernerPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger
Pitt didn't just miss the playoffs, one year, or two or three. They've been a cellar dwellar for years now. Putting a totally uncompetitive product on the ice for 1/2 decade so you can get high picks is not the model of success I'd choose to follow.
Pitt will continue to be terrible until they find/draft three good defensemen. I don't care how good Malkin is - it will take more than a handful of gifted offensive youngsters to make that team competitive.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus
Cool.. Flyers lost 2:0 to Pittsburgh failing to score on 5 minutes PP. Laughing now? I guess you won that argument.

He didn't impress you? Who are you? Goalie scout? MAF sucks at the age of 21? Please provide me link.

Oprik is good stay home. Whitney and Gonchar good point producers while not so good on D. Pittsburgh is much better then you think. Traditionally Pittsburgh was never a good defensive team. Plus not to mention very well under the cap. If they will find the right ownership... watch out.
IMO 6 million will be enough to fix their defensive problems.

But let me go back to the Flyers. Last time I checked Flyers were badly outplayed by a better younger Sabres. Not just outplayed but embarrassed. Few years ago they were outplayed and embarrassed by Senators and so on.

Why should I look at St. Louis, Pittsburgh or Washington? These teams can not be compared to this organization. These teams are in 100% rebuilding mode. All I was suggesting.... to trade and keep good vets at the end of the season and miss one year of playoffs and do a lot better at 2007 draft.

I guess I am talking to a big shot hockey analyst who can not read and most importantly comprehend.

Once again I would keep Forsberg, Handzus, Gagne maybe Knuble unless great return. Not by choice both Hatcher and Rathje as my original post stated. You missed all that.
Crying about injuries. Life time excuse for every playoff exit..... that, and a goalie.
go back to the pens board - that way nobody sees your posts

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
go back to the pens board - that way nobody sees your posts
I think your opinion will be changed in about 7 month with Forsberg out for about 40 games.
I do not consider losing like we did against Sabres a successful playoff run.

Old
07-02-2006, 10:38 AM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I think your opinion will be changed in about 7 month with Forsberg out for about 40 games.
did you even watch the nhl last year? the Flyers were a top team in the NHL for a while and the east all year, despite having the most man games lost due to injury. and not 3-4 line guys, but 1-2 line guys like Forsberg & Gagne.

Quote:
I do not consider losing like we did against Sabres a successful playoff run.
guess what? 28 other teams didn't have a successful playoff either.

donelikedinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Kaktus*

After Olympic break Flyers did not play well. Mehh... Too many "ifs".

1. If our goalies play well.
2. If PK will be good this year or with out Forsberg can we score on PP?
3. If Primeau will be in shape, same goes for Nedved and Kapanen.
4. If Forsberg will not get injured again after Jan.
5. Plus Hatcher and Rathje.

Old
07-02-2006, 11:34 AM
goflyers

I think Kaktus would make a great Phillies fan. He would enjoy watching his team miss the playoffs 13 seasons in a row. He loves the thought of missing the playoffs so we can get players like Ryan Howard who would finally bring us to the World Series. pfff, too bad for him it ain't going to happen

anyways we don't need another Phillies team, I'd rather have the Flyers lose out in the 1st round then miss the playoffs every season, and Kaktus obviously doesn't know what it's like to route for a team that has no chance of making the playoffs, it's not that easy.

goflyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyers View Post
I think Kaktus would make a great Phillies fan. He would enjoy watching his team miss the playoffs 13 seasons in a row. He loves the thought of missing the playoffs so we can get players like Ryan Howard who would finally bring us to the World Series. pfff, too bad for him it ain't going to happen

anyways we don't need another Phillies team, I'd rather have the Flyers lose out in the 1st round then miss the playoffs every season, and Kaktus obviously doesn't know what it's like to route for a team that has no chance of making the playoffs, it's not that easy.
Well at least this a respectful well put reply.
Flyers are in a different position then the Phillies but....

Old
07-02-2006, 01:07 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Have to say, you are really making a lot of friends here.

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Quote:
the view of our [Pittsburgh Penguins] defense above is a bit dated

You think?

Quote:
the defense is barely non-existent
Quote:
get themselves maybe 4 top 4 defensemen in the draft.
Quote:
got two guys that are all offense but no defense. What about the other 2-3 guys you need?
Quote:
Pitt will continue to be terrible until they find/draft three good defensemen

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:44 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post

You think?

You must be joking thinking that you have a good defense?

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Kaktus*

Will I be able to find this thread 6 month from now? Or will it be deleted?
Thanks

Old
07-07-2006, 04:20 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Will I be able to find this thread 6 month from now? Or will it be deleted?
Thanks
Deleted? I'm still in shock that it hasn't been locked.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Kaktus*

Hmm... I created this thread back in June 2006.
The idea was.. if we can not go all the way or deep into playoffs why try to fix anything. Team is changed now but not a lot. Some of the predictions are true and some are not. I am not trying piss people off especially after yesterdays aweful game.
Right now it's easy to blame everyone and anything. I know we haven't played 10 games yet but if things do not get better. Establish group of young players who may not succeed for next couple of years. Develop leadership instead of buying or trading for it.

Players to keep.
Gagne, Forsberg, Sanderson, Pitkanen, Umberger, Nitty, Richards, Carter, Gauthier, L.Jonsson, Baumgartner (just because under conract).

Players coming up:
Picard, Eager, Ruziska, Potulny, Downie, Ellison, Giroux, Bodrov, Grenier, Nodl, Popov.

Players deserve a loong look during this season:
Meyer, Calder, Robi.

Trades:
Knuble, Esche, Dimitrakos maybe Kapanen.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-18-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old
10-18-2006, 12:06 PM
capn89*

Miss Playoffs 2007? oh... Miss 2007 playoffs... my bad :p

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote