HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Add Staios to the pot?

View Poll Results: Would you move Staios with Comrie?
If he won't sign here, then yes 8 17.39%
No, keep trying to sign him 'til the deadline 15 32.61%
No, keep Staios no matter what 23 50.00%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 07:15 AM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Add Staios to the pot?

Lowe must have a pretty good idea of whether or not he can sign Staios by now, he started working on an offer during the summer.

If Lowe can't get Steve signed would you add him to the Comrie deal if it helped us land one of the coveted prospects?

Old
11-08-2003, 07:21 AM
Seachd

I thought he really liked it here, but if he keeps playing the way he is, the money might be too tempting. Either way, I wouldn't trade him right now. Keep trying to get him signed, IMO.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:30 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Lowe must have a pretty good idea of whether or not he can sign Staios by now, he started working on an offer during the summer.

If Lowe can't get Steve signed would you add him to the Comrie deal if it helped us land one of the coveted prospects?
Really good point IMO. I seriously doubt that Staios will sign here again, the Oilers just can't afford him. And he WILL go to the highest bidder next summer, there can be little doubt about that.

That's not the least bit unusual ... but hearing Staios speak openly of his support of Bob Goodenow is the icing on the cake for me.

How much is one year of Staios worth to other teams right now though? Would he be worth more at the trade deadline?

Old
11-08-2003, 07:32 AM
zamboni

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If Staios has to go (because he wants to test free agency), trade him at the deadline. He's way too valueable to the team right now. Lowe should continue to try and get him re-signed.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:41 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Really good point IMO. I seriously doubt that Staios will sign here again, the Oilers just can't afford him. And he WILL go to the highest bidder next summer, there can be little doubt about that.

That's not the least bit unusual ... but hearing Staios speak openly of his support of Bob Goodenow is the icing on the cake for me.

How much is one year of Staios worth to other teams right now though? Would he be worth more at the trade deadline?
Staios isn't going anywhere. we turned his career around after even the thrash, i've said this before, turned their back on their captain. if he has any loyalty, and i believe he does, he'll stay and become our captain in a couple years

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030904/nhl_edm-sun.html

The possibility of an extension is exciting because I love playing in Edmonton," Staios said. "I've had a chance to take the next step in my career here."

Old
11-08-2003, 07:41 AM
oilflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I thought he really liked it here, but if he keeps playing the way he is, the money might be too tempting. Either way, I wouldn't trade him right now. Keep trying to get him signed, IMO.
Am I missing something here? I thought the reason that Edmonton needed a better CBA was so we could keep players like Steve Staios. He is one of my favorite players. Does everybody think all of the GMs around the league will be rushing out to overpay free agents at the end of this year with everyhting up in the air like it is?

Old
11-08-2003, 09:53 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Lafleur
Staois already said he looks forward to testing the free agent waters ...and you know the way hes playing the Leafs will sign him to HUGE $$$$$$ .I mean he is a Toronto kid and who needs D-men more that Torranna .
It might be good to package him with MC Whiner and get a TRUE star player(s) back and not supspects .
When did he say this?

I have read nothing about him saying that. Could you provide a link? In fact as the next post says he has said the exact opposite.

While I agree that it is a definite possibility that he tests the free agent market, to my knowledge he has never said so.

Old
11-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Oiltown16

Will Staios demand an increase in pay? Yes
Does Staios deserve an increase in pay? Yes
Will Staios take less money to stay with the franchise that turned his career around? Yes
Do we trade him at all this season? HELL NO

Old
11-08-2003, 10:28 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
I didnt read it in the paper it was an interview earlier this year on Sports Net , TSN or HNIC ....and please we all know how much loyalty plays into anything in todays NHL.
I hope you are all right ..but you know that when he becomes UFA ..the big money teams will come a callin .
...and who exactly will give Staios this jackpot? I think the Staios situation is a lot closer to Klee than Gaborik or the other guys you talk about. Steve is a journeyman dman who has done well in the Edmonton system just like a lot of other guys have before him. Other GMs know that but you never know - there may be an idiot who will drop more than $2 million on Staios. I really doubt it though. Even if that deal was out there - Staios should look at what happened to Ulanov's career after he accepted that deal with the Rags - and the expectations that go along with it.

Staios deserves a decent raise next year and should work out an extension before the deadline - otherwise ship the ingrate outta here at the deadline. This team rescued his career from the dumpster and he should appreciate that.

Old
11-08-2003, 11:03 AM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
When did he say this?

I have read nothing about him saying that. Could you provide a link? In fact as the next post says he has said the exact opposite.

While I agree that it is a definite possibility that he tests the free agent market, to my knowledge he has never said so.
he said he wants to stay here but if a deal can't be reached he will try FA

If Lowe wants to keep Staios, and he does, he'll have to convince him to sign a contract extension, which is something the Oilers are pitching to agent Pat Morris right now. That, or get in on the bidding for his services next summer.

"That's exactly where I'm headed if I don't sign an extension," said Staios, who has clearly shed the journeyman label he wore upon his arrival here.

"As far as where I'm going to be at the end of this year, if I'm going to be extended on my contract, I can't really say. All I know is there's the possibility of ongoing discussions."

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030904/nhl_edm-sun.html

Old
11-08-2003, 11:14 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
- there may be an idiot who will drop more than $2 million on Staios. I really doubt it though. Even if that deal was out there - Staios should look at what happened to Ulanov's career after he accepted that deal with the Rags - and the expectations that go along with it.
Look at Greg DeVries in New York right now. I'd say Staios is a better comparable there than Ken Klee.

Steve Staios owes us nothing. He's been the best dman for us last year and he's given us everything he's had in that role. If Staios wants to earn his free agent money by becoming a free agent in the market, then so be it. He deserves it. Again, let me state. Staios does not owe Edmonton anything to force him to stay here. If he wants to stay, he will; it's up to him.

Old
11-08-2003, 11:16 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

only if the Oilers get a top pair defenseman in return. Our blueline is already as thin and losing Staios will be devastating

Old
11-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Cujo_31

keep trying to sign him til the trade-deadline & see where negotiations go, if he said "I'm going to test the market" then if we can get a really good deal @ the deadline for him, take it. Staios is a very good d-man, consistent & works hard every game. we need to sign this guy to a long-term contract extension, & i think we will...especially with the CBA expiring next september, teams aren't sure, & there offers wont be as high, look at this psat summer, not much action to speak of...2 years ago feds would easily have got 10 mil. i'm sure Staios will re-sign with the Oil.

Old
11-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Look at Greg DeVries in New York right now. I'd say Staios is a better comparable there than Ken Klee.

Steve Staios owes us nothing. He's been the best dman for us last year and he's given us everything he's had in that role. If Staios wants to earn his free agent money by becoming a free agent in the market, then so be it. He deserves it. Again, let me state. Staios does not owe Edmonton anything to force him to stay here. If he wants to stay, he will; it's up to him.
Agree about Staios play - but no one in their right mind would give him more than $2 million. We sure won't. DeVries was also signed by the Rags - but hey so were Ulanov, Poti and Kasper

All of those contracts are a joke in terms of value per dollar - and I very much doubt that someone offers Staios $3 or $4 million in the days leading up a lock-out, salary cap or luxury tax. Staios is a journeyman d who is having success in the Edmonton system. He isn't the first and he won't be the last - so either signs an extension for a reasonable sum or he is shipped by the trade deadline. Nice player but very replacable.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:43 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Staois already said he looks forward to testing the free agent waters ...and you know the way hes playing the Leafs will sign him to HUGE $$$$$$ .I mean he is a Toronto kid and who needs D-men more that Torranna .
It might be good to package him with MC Whiner and get a TRUE star player(s) back and not supspects .
Who's been needing Dmen more the last couple years than the Leafs? Just cos they need something doesn't mean they won't trade a bunch of forwards for one winger with a bad back. Or something.

Closed Thread