HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings Exercise Team Contract Option On Left Wing Jeff Cowan

Old
06-30-2006, 06:34 PM
jt

vCash: 500
Kings Exercise Team Contract Option On Left Wing Jeff Cowan

Quote:
LOS ANGELES The Los Angeles Kings have exercised their one-year team contract option on left wing Jeff Cowan, it was announced today by Kings President/General Manager Dean Lombardi.

Cowan, 30, played in 46 games this past season with the Kings and had nine points including eight goals and 73 penalty minutes, his second season with the club. He missed a total of 28 games due to groin, hamstring and back injuries.

Acquired by the Kings from the Atlanta Thrashers on March 9, 2004, in exchange for Kip Brennan, the 6-2, 205-pound Cowan, who is a native of Scarborough, Ontario, has played in 304 career NHL games and has 68 points (40-28=68) and 460 penalty minutes. In addition to the Kings, Cowan has played for the Thrashers and the Calgary Flames.

jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

I guess they got rid of the puking one, that would best describe this signing.

This truly is a spot that could have been filled by any variety of young player.

Cowan doesn't score, he doesn't hit, he doesn't fight , he isn't a good skater and he can't PK.

I have no life and watch hockey pretty much from 4 PM to the end of the night on the West Coast, and he is one of the 10 most useless players in the league.

But then again, teams kept signing Steve McKenna, so who knows.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:46 PM
sweatypickle

except he does hit...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:46 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Boo

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:55 PM
kingsfan25

Wow...lots of hate.

Before this season, Cowan was considered by most to be an above average grinder with good speed who could chip in some offense here and there.

Now he's Roman Cechmanek worthless.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Crap move...unless they trade him in a couple days and get something in return, which is not likely.

Reaper won't like this news...

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

http://darthno.ytmnd.com/

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:40 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?

Perhaps DL exercised the option for "asset" reasons.. a la trade down the road?

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:45 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

does cowan have any trade value...

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:46 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix
does cowan have any trade value...
Yes...Kip Brennan.

Old
06-30-2006, 07:52 PM
kingsfan25

Cowan did have a terrible year...but he was pretty good for what he was for a few seasons prior.

Old
06-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Osprey

I, too, am asking the question "why?"... but I'm not all that surprised since, all along, Cowan seemed like a Lombardi-type of player. I assume that Dean sees more in him than he showed last year. Jeff does have the tools to be the perfect 4th-liner, the kind that good teams have. He can do a little bit of everything, especially skate a regular shift, which is important in the new NHL, in which rolling 4 lines is increasingly important. I'd much rather have him in that 4th-line role than Parros, and I assume that keeping him means that at least one of Parros, Avery, Belanger and Kostopoulos will be gotten rid of. I trust that Lombardi knows what he's doing.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:56 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I, too, am asking the question "why?"... but I'm not all that surprised since, all along, Cowan seemed like a Lombardi-type of player. I assume that Dean sees more in him than he showed last year. Jeff does have the tools to be the perfect 4th-liner. I'd much rather have him in that role than Parros, and I assume that keeping him means that at least one of Parros, Avery, Belanger and Kostopoulos will be gotten rid of. I trust that Lombardi knows what he's doing.
Tough call from that list. Kosto would seem the likely choice, but he seems like a DL type of guy too. He's got a big heart, goes all out all the time and is somewhat of a leader type. Parros would also seem logical, but DL would have to have another enforcer lined up.

Old
06-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Go

I think they're keeping TK. He gets beat up all the time, but he does it for his teammates.
________
best penny stocks

Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-06-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 08:01 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Tough call from that list. Kosto would seem the likely choice, but he seems like a DL type of guy too. He's got a big heart, goes all out all the time and is somewhat of a leader type. Parros would also seem logical, but DL would have to have another enforcer lined up.
I don't have much problem with Kostopoulos and Cowan. They do seem like Lombardi-type players. I have no love for Parros, Avery and Belanger, however, and would drop them without hestitation, in that order.

As for an enforcer, how many fights were there in the playoffs this year? Enforcers are an anachronism. The game is moving toward multi-dimensional players who will stick up for other players. Cowan and Kostopoulos qualify.

Old
06-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I don't know if Cowan's season before last made him think that he was a goal scorer and that he didn't have to fight or if he just doesn't want to. Well Jeff, I hate to break it to you, but you only scored 27 points mainly by playing on a line with Kovalchuk. If you don't fight, you aren't really needed. Last year he didn't fight, and I don't see the need to keep him when we could've had Kanko or Jackman take his spot.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Fat Elvis

I like TK, for what he should be(4th liner). It's tough when TK and Cowen are asked to play a different role than that of a 4th liner. Cowen ain't that bad, he's not good, but he isn't that bad either. Not a bad move imo. It hurts the team a lot less to cut a guy making $500k and have one of the kids step up than it would not to have him and the kids not able to step up.
Make sense?

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 08:15 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I don't know if Cowan's season before last made him think that he was a goal scorer and that he didn't have to fight or if he just doesn't want to. Well Jeff, I hate to break it to you, but you only scored 27 points mainly by playing on a line with Kovalchuk. If you don't fight, you aren't really needed. Last year he didn't fight, and I don't see the need to keep him when we could've had Kanko or Jackman take his spot.
I was watching After 40 Minutes on CBC during one of the late-season games...and they showed the infamous Avery/Fedoruk incident. And Kelley Hrudey(who, normally, I think does a reasonable job) was going on about how Avery should stand up for himself and how a good "team guy" like Cowan had to go in and take a beating for him. However, Avery, far more often than Cowan, was the one rushing to his teammates' defense throughout the season.

And also, Cowan could be useful on the forecheck and he is reasonably fast for a player his size. But you're right...he should stick to his game-that's likely how he got many of his goals in Atlanta anyway.

Old
06-30-2006, 08:19 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
I don't have much problem with Kostopoulos and Cowan. They do seem like Lombardi-type players. I have no love for Parros, Avery and Belanger, however, and would drop them without hestitation, in that order.

As for an enforcer, how many fights were there in the playoffs this year? Enforcers are an anachronism. The game is moving toward multi-dimensional players who will stick up for other players. Cowan and Kostopoulos qualify.
I definitely would like to keep TK around. He's got a good "team mentality" about him...and I'd like to see what he can do with it under the new regime.

I think Belanger, if we were going by character of players, would be a player DL is likely to axe...however, he's a player who has the potential to do very well in the new NHL...****, he was a player who has the potential to do very well in the old NHL if he could only get around those psychological issues. And who knows...maybe Crawford can get him playing on a new level...I think it's worth one more gamble.

Old
06-30-2006, 08:22 PM
jt

For all the Cowan haters who also like DL, does this lower your opinion of DL? I mean if he's done something that is so obviously wrong in your opinion...

jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Go

I was there for the Avery/Fedoruk thing with my father, who I had brought along. At first, I wasn't paying a ton of attention and my dad told me Avery was skating toward the goalie. He barely got any snow on Giguere, and Avery wasn't exactly shying away from Fedoruk. The whole thing was blown way out of proportion, Fedoruk barely clipped him with one punch. He may not have hit him at all. Cowan came to Avery's defense out of his own volition.

If Cowan plays more than 4 minutes a game, DL did something wrong, to answer the above.
________
herbal vaporizer

Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-06-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
.... OH ! there's a pot, and HEY ! I have a stick, hmmmm let me go stir it up ...
ok so a paraphrased it

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt
For all the Cowan haters who also like DL, does this lower your opinion of DL? I mean if he's done something that is so obviously wrong in your opinion...
I dont hate him, I think he's still getting paid off of what he did during his time playing with Kovalchuk. I'd really prefer him to do his job and fight when necesary, and not shy away from what got him to the NHL.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U
ok so a paraphrased it
Hehe. I don't think that jt will argue with that