HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver: This years Cap Hell???

Old
06-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Vancouver: This years Cap Hell???

I was just looking over some of the recent signings and saw that the Canucks just signed both the Sedin twins to $3.575 million/year contracts. When added to Luongo's new deal it got me thinking ......where is Vancouver's cap number?

So I looked over their contracted players and saw this......

Cloutier, Dan-----------Goal---------------------$2,550,000.00
Cooke, Matt-----------Left Wing------------------$1,500,000.00
Linden, Trevor---------Centre--------------------$1,520,000.00
Luongo, Roberto---------Goal---------------------$6,750,000.00
Morrison, Brendan------Centre--------------------$3,200,000.00
Naslund, Markus-------Left Wing------------------$6,000,000.00
Ohlund, Mattias--------Defence-------------------$3,500,000.00
Salo, Sami-------------Defence-------------------$1,500,000.00
Sedin, Daniel---------Left Wing------------------$3,575,000.00
Sedin, Henrik----------Centre--------------------$3,575,000.00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Totals------------------------------------------$33,670,000

I am sure that Cloutier will not be on the opening day roster....but to have about 75% of your money allocated to less than 1/2 of the team?

Will be interesting to see what Nonis has planned. He might have to do some salary dump trades.....ala Roenick and/or Federov last season.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 11:02 PM
Peter James Bond

I guess it's safe to say that Jovanovski will be playing elsewhere.

maybe for Marc Crawford?

Peter James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond
I guess it's safe to say that Jovanovski will be playing elsewhere.

maybe for Marc Crawford?

I wouldn't be totally against it....but many see Jovo returning to Florida.

Old
06-30-2006, 11:14 PM
johnjm22

Just say no to Jovo!

The guy was terrible last season. Go ask the Vancouver fans what they think about him.

The last thing we need is a slow, overpaid, injury prone, defensive liability.

Last edited by johnjm22: 06-30-2006 at 11:23 PM.
johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22
Just say no to Jovo!

The guy was terrible last season. Go ask the Vancouver fans what they think about him.

The last thing we need is a player who is slow, overpaid, injury prone, and a defensive liability.

On second thought.....johnjm22 is probably right. I would rather go after Mitchell or McKee.....or Aki Berg.

Old
06-30-2006, 11:22 PM
johnjm22

Aki = God.

Old
07-01-2006, 12:15 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Jovanovski and ''slow'' don't belong in the same sentence.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 01:27 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Jovanovski and ''slow'' don't belong in the same sentence.
So what's your take on Jovo?

Old
07-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Homunculous

I see both Morrison and Ohlund being dumped quick and for very small returns. With the Sedins, Morrison is making way too much for a second line Centre.

Homunculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 10:15 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homunculous
I see both Morrison and Ohlund being dumped quick and for very small returns. With the Sedins, Morrison is making way too much for a second line Centre.

Ohlund is making $3.5mill while being our #1 dman for the past several years... while Jovo was on our team, he was never the #1 over Ohlund... there is NO way that Ohlund would EVER be dumped... thinking that is just ridiculous.

Tell me how many better deals there are in the league for a legitimate #1 dman? how are the canucks in a better cap situation, if they dump Ohlund.

Their "cap hell" is also being overblown.

Out of the players signed, the canucks have their #1 goalie... they have their top 2 dmen, and their top 4 forwards all locked up. To fill mostly depth positions isn't going to cost a lot.

They have 1 dman remaining to sign - and a $3mill budget to do it with... they have 2 forwards left to sign - and should have anywhere from $4-5mill to do it... sure there's going to be a risk here... we'll have to find a couple of cheaper options up front and hope they can step in... guys like Roenick, Guerin, Nolan, Lindros, etc - risk players for sure... but guys that will likely take lower contracts to fill a spot on the roster.

The bottom 6 is filled up already... Cooke is signed... Kesler will not be difficult to re-sign... we have 8 other players that can fight for the remaining 4 spots in that role... Reid, Santala, Burrows, Green, Rypien, King, Balej should all be under $600K each... Linden - who's salary is listed above - is not signed. He has a team option, which Nonis has said he will not pickup, but would be shocked to see Linden not return for much less... I'm expecting $500-800K for him.

The defense, Ohlund is our #1... Salo was our best dman last year - better than Ohlund or Jovo, so he's not much of a concern coming back in a #2 role... after that we have a hole, and Nonis has about $3mill to fill that with... then in the #4-6 spots, we'll be seeing Bourdon, Bieksa and Krajicek in the lineup.. risks for sure, but that is more than off-set by going from Cloutier/Auld to Luongo in goal IMO.

Vancouver's cap situation is tight, but nowhere close to being in "hell" ... Nonis has been working the numbers for a while, and he's confident that he'll have everyone in place for around $42mill.... he said he wants at least $2mill to go into the season with, to be able to add payroll during the year.

Which makes sense, since you are taking a risk that 2-3 of Burrows, Green, Rypien, Reid, Santala, King, or Balej can step into a bottom 6 role, while at least one of Bourdon or Krajicek can adjust to a #4 role (biggest risk going into next season IMO). Bieksa is not a concern filling the bottom pairing role... he's tough, good defensively and has shown he is more than ready for the NHL.

Cap hell.. I'd look at Colorado... where they have cap space for bonuses from last year...

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 10:24 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22
So what's your take on Jovo?
my opinion of Jovo is that he'll be missed in Vancouver.

Positives: great skater... among the best skating dmen in the game. Very physical. brings tons of energy and intensity every game. shows a lot of leadership characteristics. Is very good at pinching in the offensive zone - something that his skating helps in. He can create offense from the blueline better than any canuck I've seen, since maybe Lumme during his 1-2 yr window in his prime. Can log 25 minutes a game, while playing every role.

Negative: gets out of position often looking for a big hit. Has a tenacity for turnovers in front of his own goal, looking for that high risk/high reward play more often than just the safe play of getting out of the zone. He wears his heart on a sleave, which is a positive, but it also costs him bad penalties at times. Durability has no doubt become an issue with him, getting injuries for the past 3 consecutive seasons. While Jovo is very good at skating from the point, and creating chances with good passes and ability to turn on a dime in tight quarters, his shot from the point is below average... he gets his shot blocked more than any other dman I've seen man our point.

Jovo is also a right side dman... one of his drawbacks IMO. While he's a left handed shot, and given his excellent skating ability, you'd figure he could adjust as well to both sides... but he himself said that he's not as comfortable playing the left side, because of what he can create on the ice from the right side... playing the right side allows him to be on his forehand as he's rushing from the middle of the ice... and use his body better to block clearing attempts in the offensive zone.

He was tried several years ago with Salo on the right side. Salo was actually acquired by Burke to be Jovo's regular partner, but it took less than a week of training camp to end that, when Jovo came out and said he's not comfortable on the left side.

Overall, with Jovo, you're getting a dynamic dman... he's got gamebreaking ability, and has taken over games in Vancouver - at both ends! he's physically dominating and will bring all the intensity and energy you'd expect from any player.... if he was better defensively, he'd be looking for Chara type money... of course if he was more durable, he might even get close to that, without being better defensively.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 12:07 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Many thanks for that! You've confirmed a lot of thoughts on Ohlund and Jovo. 11K+ posts like that and you should consider writing a book. Or at least a "Fantasy Draft Preview" sheet.

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote