HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Vanek or Michalek

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-11-2003, 11:37 AM
  #51
Strizzi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
..... and by the way, I like how you call me a homer, yet you call the Czech league better than the NHL.
Nope he didn't. Try to read his posts a bit more accurately next time.

Strizzi is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 11:40 AM
  #52
KillToronto
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
Nope he didn't. Try to read his posts a bit more accurately next time.
oops. My bad. sorry.

 
Old
11-11-2003, 11:41 AM
  #53
MLH
Registered User
 
MLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Michalek was projected to be, at best, a solid two way player before a serious injury. I can't believe this is as close as it is.

MLH is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 11:46 AM
  #54
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartG101
Michalek was projected to be, at best, a solid two way player before a serious injury. I can't believe this is as close as it is.
Why is that?
Vanek was picked before Michalek.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 11:48 AM
  #55
KillToronto
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Why is that?
Vanek was picked before Michalek.
You know what? I bet if the Sharks had taken Vanek, all the shark fans would be singing a different tune about Vanek's laziness and Michalek's talent.

 
Old
11-11-2003, 12:18 PM
  #56
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,908
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Give me strength.
You may like Michalek better but dont try to suggest there has been any difference in their development from draft day to today on any basis, but certainly not something as inane as the fact that he is/was playing for the sad sack Sharks. . Thats simply stupid. Vanek couldnt even go to the Sabre camp cause he was going back to college. I guess Michaleks,Horton, Staal..etc are all developing much better than guys that didnt even go to camp (see Suter, Parise, Vanek, Zherdev). Yeah, ok.
Ridiculous comment.
If you would read a lil closer, I was implying that the Staals, Fluerys, and Michaleks of the world are just further along in their development not necessarily developing better or that the Vaneks and who-have-yas aren't developin at all. Its not a hard concept to grasp.

__________________
Patty Ice is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:23 PM
  #57
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
If you would read a lil closer, I was implying that the Staals, Fluerys, and Michaleks of the world are just further along in their development not necessarily developing better or that the Vaneks and who-have-yas aren't developin at all. Its not a hard concept to grasp.
First of all, thats not even close to what you said. What you said was " Fact is that, while Vanek has higher offensive upside, Michalek was/is playin in the NHL this year for a team that didnt necessarily need him in the line-up. Thats says volumes concerning the development of the two". suggesting that the simple fact that he made a team over a guy who chose not even to go to camp makeshim much furthur ahead in development.
Anyways, take it your way. Please explain how your statement is accurate at all.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:28 PM
  #58
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,908
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
Exactly. I'm glad you noticed this nonsense post as well.
Do you want to see nonsense...nonsense is usin quotes like these as examples of why Vanek is tougher than Michalek.

"'Two goals 19 seconds apart early in the first period indicated how Minnesota planned to attack the opposing net. Later in the period, the Gophers confirmed it when sophomore forward Thomas Vanek barreled into Denver goalie Adam Berkhoel. "

"Sent to the penalty box for high sticking, Vanek slammed the door, threw his gloves against the glass, yelled at referee Todd Anderson and tried to squirt a water bottle in Anderson's direction."

That last one appears more childish rather than thuggish.

Just admit to the fact you have no idea of Michalek or the game he plays and that you only know of Vanek simply because he's Sabres property. There is no shame in that...you like your team's prospects...I have no beef with that. But when you imply that another team's prospect is inferior when you have no idea what you are talkin about...then we got problems. I said this before twice on this thread...I like Vanek BUT I had Michalek in my top 2 pre-draft and still in my top 2 post-draft regardless of the fact that he's Sharks' property (I was jumpin for joy on draft day). If the tables were turned and the Sabres had took Milan, I know who you would be defending and I would be pissed that the Sabres got Michalek (but satisfied with Vanek).

Patty Ice is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:29 PM
  #59
KillToronto
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
patty check your pms.

 
Old
11-11-2003, 12:32 PM
  #60
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster
 
Buffaloed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 25,196
vCash: 1952
I wanted Vanek all along so I'm not saying it because the Sabres picked him. I think he has higher upside than Michalek, but he also has a lower downside. I've never entertained the possibility that Michalek could be a bust, but I also don't think he's ever going to pop in 40-50 goals. Vanek could just as easily be the next Pavel Brendl as he could be the next Mike Bossy. That's a gamble I can live with.

Buffaloed is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:33 PM
  #61
KillToronto
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
Do you want to see nonsense...nonsense is usin quotes like these as examples of why Vanek is tougher than Michalek.

"'Two goals 19 seconds apart early in the first period indicated how Minnesota planned to attack the opposing net. Later in the period, the Gophers confirmed it when sophomore forward Thomas Vanek barreled into Denver goalie Adam Berkhoel. "

"Sent to the penalty box for high sticking, Vanek slammed the door, threw his gloves against the glass, yelled at referee Todd Anderson and tried to squirt a water bottle in Anderson's direction."

That last one appears more childish rather than thuggish.

Just admit to the fact you have no idea of Michalek or the game he plays and that you only know of Vanek simply because he's Sabres property. There is no shame in that...you like your team's prospects...I have no beef with that. But when you imply that another team's prospect is inferior when you have no idea what you are talkin about...then we got problems. I said this before twice on this thread...I like Vanek BUT I had Michalek in my top 2 pre-draft and still in my top 2 post-draft regardless of the fact that he's Sharks' property (I was jumpin for joy on draft day). If the tables were turned and the Sabres had took Milan, I know who you would be defending and I would be pissed that the Sabres got Michalek (but satisfied with Vanek).
First of all, i didn't use those quotes to defend Vanek's toughness. I posted at least 3 ofther sentences stating my argument. Those quotes were just thrown in to show Vanek has a mean streak, something Michalek lacks. Players with mean streaks are usually tough.

I actually do know how Michalek plays because I follwed him pretty closely last year because I thought the Sabres were going to pick him since Regier didn't speak too highly of Vanek a few weeks before the draft.

Anyway, I think I'm done posting in this thread as there is nothing but ******ing going on and I think we both look like whiners now.

 
Old
11-11-2003, 12:35 PM
  #62
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,908
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
And why exactly is that?
And the simple fact that can and are playin the NHL. Say what you will about the teams they play for (the Sabres are no powerhouse themselves) but if you can compete in this league at the age of 18, that means you have got to be doin something right with game. I mentioned this earlier which you seem to ignore (maybe because it shows that your logic is faulty) but the Sharks didnt need to have Michalek up with the team. They could have sent him to Clevo and played a proven NHLer in Todd Harvey. Instead, they decided to make Harvey the only million dollar player ever to play in the AHL. Either thats bad management or they couldn't find a good enough reason why Michalek should be sent to the Barons.

I believe I have proven my points on all fronts and unless either of you can come up with a decent argument...I'm finished with this matter.

Patty Ice is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:36 PM
  #63
KillToronto
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
If the tables were turned and the Sabres had took Milan, I know who you would be defending and I would be pissed that the Sabres got Michalek (but satisfied with Vanek).
That statement has no basis as you could say that about anyone in these forums if the draft had been completely different. You included.

 
Old
11-11-2003, 12:37 PM
  #64
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,908
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I wanted Vanek all along so I'm not saying it because the Sabres picked him. I think he has higher upside than Michalek, but he also has a lower downside. I've never entertained the possibility that Michalek could be a bust, but I also don't think he's ever going to pop in 40-50 goals. Vanek could just as easily be the next Pavel Brendl as he could be the next Mike Bossy. That's a gamble I can live with.
Now thats an opinion I can agree with. Its not that hard Kill.

Patty Ice is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:39 PM
  #65
KillToronto
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
Now thats an opinion I can agree with. Its not that hard Kill.
I don't care if you can agree with that. I'm not posting here to make you happy. That's not my intention.

 
Old
11-11-2003, 12:42 PM
  #66
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,908
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
That statement has no basis as you could say that about anyone in these forums if the draft had been completely different. You included.

Thats true except the part about me. Truth is I am a bigger fan of players rather than one team (although I do cheer for the Sharks) and Michalek is my number one guy outta this draft (all my opinion). I was just fortunate enough to have had my favorite team select him.

Patty Ice is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:43 PM
  #67
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,908
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
That statement has no basis as you could say that about anyone in these forums if the draft had been completely different. You included.

Thats true except the part about me. Truth is I am a bigger fan of players rather than one team (although I do cheer for the Sharks) and Michalek is my number one guy outta this draft (all my opinion). I was just fortunate enough to have had my favorite team select him. He could have been a Duck and I'd still jock him as much.

Patty Ice is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:44 PM
  #68
KillToronto
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
Thats true except the part about me. Truth is I am a bigger fan of players rather than one team (although I do cheer for the Sharks) and Michalek is my number one guy outta this draft (all my opinion). I was just fortunate enough to have had my favorite team select him.
Gotcha.

 
Old
11-11-2003, 12:49 PM
  #69
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
And the simple fact that can and are playin the NHL. Say what you will about the teams they play for (the Sabres are no powerhouse themselves) but if you can compete in this league at the age of 18, that means you have got to be doin something right with game. I mentioned this earlier which you seem to ignore (maybe because it shows that your logic is faulty) but the Sharks didnt need to have Michalek up with the team. They could have sent him to Clevo and played a proven NHLer in Todd Harvey. Instead, they decided to make Harvey the only million dollar player ever to play in the AHL. Either thats bad management or they couldn't find a good enough reason why Michalek should be sent to the Barons.

I believe I have proven my points on all fronts and unless either of you can come up with a decent argument...I'm finished with this matter.
Your logic is flawed. Just because one guy is on an NHL roster & another isnt in & of itself mean jack squat. Thats like saying Brent Burns is developing better/or is furthur ahead in development than Ovechkin because one is in the NHL & the other isnt..
Its frankly stupid.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:57 PM
  #70
Patty Ice
Best in the World
 
Patty Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: OxNard
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 10,908
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Your logic is flawed. Just because one guy is on an NHL roster & another isnt in & of itself mean jack squat. Thats like saying Brent Burns is developing better/or is furthur ahead in development than Ovechkin because one is in the NHL & the other isnt..
Its frankly stupid.
Burns/Ovechkin comparison...thats graspin at straws buddy. Completely different area there. Next!

Patty Ice is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 12:58 PM
  #71
KillToronto
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
anyone want to lock this thread?

 
Old
11-11-2003, 01:25 PM
  #72
V for Voodoo
Registered User
 
V for Voodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boom Shaka-Laka.
Country: Nepal
Posts: 5,005
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
Burns/Ovechkin comparison...thats graspin at straws buddy. Completely different area there. Next!
Yeah, i think Burns/Zherdev would've made a bit more sense.

V for Voodoo is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 02:04 PM
  #73
Dr_Chimera*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: THE Underground Lair
Posts: 5,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Chimera* Send a message via MSN to Dr_Chimera*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice XXX
And the simple fact that can and are playin the NHL. Say what you will about the teams they play for (the Sabres are no powerhouse themselves) but if you can compete in this league at the age of 18, that means you have got to be doin something right with game. I mentioned this earlier which you seem to ignore (maybe because it shows that your logic is faulty) but the Sharks didnt need to have Michalek up with the team. They could have sent him to Clevo and played a proven NHLer in Todd Harvey. Instead, they decided to make Harvey the only million dollar player ever to play in the AHL. Either thats bad management or they couldn't find a good enough reason why Michalek should be sent to the Barons.

I believe I have proven my points on all fronts and unless either of you can come up with a decent argument...I'm finished with this matter.
Well, it's up to the team as to which player makes the roster - which is no different in Michalek's case.

Some teams don't like to rush players, while others don't have as much patience and play them immediately.

Definitely, Michalek is doing "something right" - no one is disputing that. No one says he is a bad player, but these two are are so different, it's almost unfair to place one ahead of the other.

As for the pro v college argument - it's not entirely fair to Vanek. If he stayed in Europe, he would have 2-3 years of pro experience by now - few would argue with that.

Dr_Chimera* is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 03:06 PM
  #74
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Yeah, i think Burns/Zherdev would've made a bit more sense.
The point is the same.Use Ovechkin or Zherdev, it doesnt really matter. Its just using a more accomplished player as the example is more illustrative of the lunacy of his point.

Sammy* is offline  
Old
11-11-2003, 03:59 PM
  #75
X-SHARKIE
Registered User
 
X-SHARKIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Janesville Wisconsin
Posts: 9,362
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
KillToronto is one of the most imature posters i've ever seen on this board....and thats saying alot coming from me.

Jesus Christ.... This isnt about..... Sabre fans Vs Sharks fans...It's about Michalek VS Vanek..

Pre draft months I was torn over who to ruite for...Vanek or Michalek...ask anyone... I got crapped on for not taking Michalek untill a week before the draft. I love Vanek. I just love Michalek more..

I really doubt KillToronto seen him play.

I do think Thomas Vanek is going to be an all star in this league. He's going to put up big numbers...I think Michalek well also make the all star team, he Wont have the numbers mabey that Thomas does but I think he'll be a much better all around hockey player.

Calling Michalek soft btw is the dumbest thing i've seen on this post Killtoronto...

He's a physical speciman, he's 6-2 and he's 220 pounds ...He won almost every single fitness test on the team this season.
Playing in the CZECH extra league is much harder then playing WCHA... So dont really look into the stats.

Grow up Killtoronto seriosly... No one is really going to respect you except for homer Sabres fans after what you've been saying. Once again I love Vanek, I think very highly of him. But I liked Michalek pre draft day even, I jumped for Joy ...Really I when the Sharks taken him. Everyone in San jose did, Except for Kevin. Lol.

I live in Wisconsin so I see alot of Badger games as well as any WCHA opponet. So i've seen Vanek quite a bit. Vanek is alot more lazy then Heatly ever was. Heatly worked hard to get bigger, he worked in practice. In his sophmore year he didnt look as intrested in the NCAA game. Vanek is heatly x's 10 in the lazieness compartment. I've never seen somone dog it so much in big games as Vanek does, Yes he's clutch. He comes on when he wants to. Thats the thing. He's almost uncoachable. I've seen the coach screaming at him one game last year, next shift he came out even worse. He sat the next shift. He's a baby. I Hate that in a player.

X-SHARKIE is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.