Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Zyuzin first Flames UFA signing

Old
07-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Body Checker

vCash: 500
Andrei Zyuzin first Flames UFA signing

Nice pickup for a depth defenseman. Averaged 18:52 mins per game with Wild and also scored 7 goals with defensive team. Will see PP time with Flames. Good replacement for Leopold.

Sutter saw him 8 times last year so he must have liked what he saw. Maybe also brought in to be a mentor to Taratukhin and Trubachev.

Now get a backup goalie and another forward.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 07:04 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker
Nice pickup for a depth defenseman. Averaged 18:52 mins per game with Wild and also scored 7 goals with defensive team. Will see PP time with Flames. Good replacement for Leopold.

Sutter saw him 8 times last year so he must have liked what he saw. Maybe also brought in to be a mentor to Taratukhin and Trubachev.

May be a good roommate for Taratukhin too you think?

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 07:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Didn't Darryl Sutter hate Andrei Zyuzin in San Jose?Zyuzin went AWOL for a while under Sutter's spotlight

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 07:10 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Didn't Darryl Sutter hate Andrei Zyuzin in San Jose?Zyuzin went AWOL for a while under Sutter's spotlight
Must've kissed and made up. It's not like Zyuzin didn't know who he was signing with.

So much for the theory Sutter has a hate on for Russians.

Old
07-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker

Nice move by Sutter. Gets a guy who can be a good #6 d-man and play some PP mintues. Gives more time for Giordano and Richie Regehr incase they aren't ready for full time NHL employment.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Wild Thing

Well, good luck. If you were looking for someone to replace Leopold, all I can say is - you're still looking. I hope he works out better for you guys than he did for us, because he seems like a really decent guy, but I can tell you that nobody here is going to miss him. He's got tons of talent, but he's a great big dummy.

There are nights he'll look exactly like a second overall pick, and you'll think he's finally got it all figured out. Then the next night he looks like a second day pick, and you'll realize why we couldn't get rid of him fast enough. If he stays true to form, he'll frustrate the hell out of you because you never know what you're going to get out of him from one day to the next. In the end, what you'll be left with is a defenseman who just can't be counted on. And next year, he'll move on to his 4th team, or his 5th, or however many it is now. They'll be in love with his talent, and they'll be convinced they're the ones who can finally get him to grow up and make good, reliable decisions, teach him to play consistently, and then the next year they'll run him out of town and wonder what the hell they were ever thinking.

But like i say, good luck. I don't want to wish any ill on you. You never know, I suppose it could work out. I just wouldn't get my hopes up if i were you.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 08:38 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
Well, good luck. If you were looking for someone to replace Leopold, all I can say is - you're still looking. I hope he works out better for you guys than he did for us, because he seems like a really decent guy, but I can tell you that nobody here is going to miss him. He's got tons of talent, but he's a great big dummy.
The Flames weren't looking for a replacement for Leopold, Sutter stated that Phaneuf and Regher would have to pick up their game and put in more minutes. Meaning the Flames needed a 6th defenseman who can play 15 minutes a game and can step up to play 20 minutes in case of an injury.

Zyuzin is the right fit for that spot.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraLeone
The Flames weren't looking for a replacement for Leopold, Sutter stated that Phaneuf and Regher would have to pick up their game and put in more minutes. Meaning the Flames needed a 6th defenseman who can play 15 minutes a game and can step up to play 20 minutes in case of an injury.

Zyuzin is the right fit for that spot.
All things considered, he might be a better fit for you than he was for us. With guys like Regher and Phaneuf, you can pick your spots for Zyuzin and keep him out of situations where he's likely to hurt you. We didn't have that luxury here.

On the plus side, you're going to love his offensive skills. He's an extraordinary skater, terrific puckhandler, makes very few bad decisions with the puck, has an excellent shot and generally good judgement on when to use it. His first pass is usually the right one, and well-made. You won't see him turn over the puck very often with a bad pass, and he usually doesn't get flustered into making poor decisions under pressure.

It's his defense that sucks, and his motivation. I won't even go into it, because I don't know any of you guys and I don't want to seem like I'm trolling. All I'll say about the defense is when you see him playing the point on the power play, close your eyes unless you like watching shorthanded goals against; and as for the motivation, it's amazing to me how many times I've watched him and wondered just what it is that he'd rather be doing, because he sure doesn't seem as though he wants to be playing hockey. I'll just leave it at that, and say congratulations on making a pickup that most of you seem happy with. I do hope it works out for everyone, because as i say, he seems like a really decent guy.

Old
07-01-2006, 09:03 PM
abracanada

Quote:

There are nights he'll look exactly like a second overall pick, and you'll think he's finally got it all figured out. Then the next night he looks like a second day pick, and you'll realize why we couldn't get rid of him fast enough. If he stays true to form, he'll frustrate the hell out of you because you never know what you're going to get out of him from one day to the next. In the end, what you'll be left with is a defenseman who just can't be counted on. And next year, he'll move on to his 4th team, or his 5th, or however many it is now. They'll be in love with his talent, and they'll be convinced they're the ones who can finally get him to grow up and make good, reliable decisions, teach him to play consistently, and then the next year they'll run him out of town and wonder what the hell they were ever thinking.

But like i say, good luck. I don't want to wish any ill on you. You never know, I suppose it could work out. I just wouldn't get my hopes up if i were you.
A reclamation project for Playfair. Great - I had no idea he was that skilled.

Old
07-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Body Checker

Quote:
All things considered, he might be a better fit for you than he was for us. With guys like Regher and Phaneuf, you can pick your spots for Zyuzin and keep him out of situations where he's likely to hurt you. We didn't have that luxury here.

On the plus side, you're going to love his offensive skills. He's an extraordinary skater, terrific puckhandler, makes very few bad decisions with the puck, has an excellent shot and generally good judgement on when to use it. His first pass is usually the right one, and well-made. You won't see him turn over the puck very often with a bad pass, and he usually doesn't get flustered into making poor decisions under pressure.

It's his defense that sucks, and his motivation. I won't even go into it, because I don't know any of you guys and I don't want to seem like I'm trolling. All I'll say about the defense is when you see him playing the point on the power play, close your eyes unless you like watching shorthanded goals against; and as for the motivation, it's amazing to me how many times I've watched him and wondered just what it is that he'd rather be doing, because he sure doesn't seem as though he wants to be playing hockey. I'll just leave it at that, and say congratulations on making a pickup that most of you seem happy with. I do hope it works out for everyone, because as i say, he seems like a really decent guy.
Great moves with Demitra and Parrish but I hope your on your own team's board asking the other members what the heck your going to do on defense. A top four of Foster, Schultz, Skoula and Burns is not going to cut it. You need to sign Brendan Witt, Danny Markov or Keith Carney fast. There are hardly any dmen left.

If not hopefully you can sign Gaborik long term and then trade a forward for some D depth. You guys look like you will score lots but who's going to help Fernandez out?????

Last edited by Body Checker: 07-01-2006 at 10:30 PM.
Old
07-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Body Checker

Wow me and my big mouth, maybe Risebrough was trolling this board

You guys now have Keith Carney (2 yrs) and Kim Johnsson (4 yrs?) signed. Pretty good but both are a little soft, see how you do in the trenches this year.

Wild will no longer be a boring defensive team. You guys will be a threat with the 4 veterans you have signed. Wild all of a sudden have skipped over the Avalanche and are ready to compete for the NW crown.

And what about the free agent pool?? It has been decimated in one day!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
07-02-2006, 05:02 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
A reclamation project for Playfair. Great - I had no idea he was that skilled.
Oh, yeah, you're going to love this man's skill. I mean after all, he was the second overall pick in his draft year, and it sure as hell wasn't because of his toughness. The man's got talent to burn. Hell, Lemaire even played the guy at center last year for crying out loud, and I thought he gave a pretty damned good accounting of himself.

The issue is his motivation level and his decisionmaking in the defensive zone. There are times you just smack yourself on the head and scream, "what the hell are you thinking?" He'll make the most absolutely incomprehensible decisions - standing on the edge of the crease, puck carrier charges the net, Zyuzin looks him in the eye and then turns his back and skates away instead of going to the puck carrier, leaving his goalie to face the shooter all alone. I kid you not, I've actually seen him do that. There's just no rational explanation sometimes for the decisions he makes, and you just don't know what the hell is going on in his head.

And then there's the motivation. I don't know what it is, but so many times he just comes out so flat and uninspired. He looks like the only thing on his mind is wondering whether he remembered to set the Tivo to record "American Idol." He plays as though the game is the absolute last thing on his mind, and again, you're wondering what the hell is going through his head. I don't know what it is with him. Tons of talent, and seems to be a great guy, but just... disengaged.

Good luck with him. If it works out, you've got yourself a player. Maybe it was just something about Minnesota. Maybe he just didn't want to be here. Maybe that was it; I don't know. Maybe he'll work out better somewhere else. I liked the guy, but we won't miss him here. We just got tired of waiting for him to put it all together.

Old
07-02-2006, 05:13 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Wow me and my big mouth, maybe Risebrough was trolling this board...

Wild will no longer be a boring defensive team. You guys will be a threat with the 4 veterans you have signed. Wild all of a sudden have skipped over the Avalanche and are ready to compete for the NW crown.
Yeah, i was thinking the exact same thing about the time you posted that. I'm still stunned by what Risebrough pulled off! He may have overpaid a bit for Johnsson, but it looks to me like Doug went into this day with a list of three specific players he was targeting, and he did what it took to get all three of them. I give him credit. We had three big needs this morning, and Riser just went about his business and filled each of those needs with a player who was tailor-made for the specific need. I honestly didn't think Doug had it in him, and frankly had been just about at the point of giving up on the man until this past week.

I can't believe how much better our team has gotten in the past seven days. Looks like he meant what he said when he promised that when it was time to spend money and make a move, he was going to spend the money and make the move. I hardly know what to think of the guy now. He may be a pretty decent GM after all! Good luck with your offseason too, guys - looks like we'll be seeing you in the playoffs.

Old
07-02-2006, 09:33 AM
tysester

Do any other Flames posters think that their opinion of Sutter, much like Minnesota fans' image of Riser, has changed a bit in the last week? It seems that he's turning the team around a lot more towards offense. I guess it started with Huselius, but trading a solid D like Leopold and then signing an offensive defenseman known for his defensive lapses... really surprising. I can't imagine him making those moves a year ago. Not that Sutter wasn't a good GM before, but he's certainly showing a side we hadn't seen before. I'm excited about the coming season - we'll let in a few more goals than last time, but I think we have a lot more as far as offensive threats go.

Last edited by tysester: 07-02-2006 at 09:35 AM. Reason: just to add a bit in the first sentence
tysester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Phaneuf_for_calder

how much was he?

Phaneuf_for_calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_for_calder View Post
how much was he?
2 years, 2.8 million (1.4 Million per season)

Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Body Checker

Sillinger (3 yrs) and Arnott (5 yrs) now off the market. I am glad Sutter is not overpaying in money and years for some of these guys.

Old
07-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysester View Post
trading a solid D like Leopold and then signing an offensive defenseman known for his defensive lapses... really surprising.
Either Regehr or Warrener would have his back, if paired off with Zyuzin.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Flames 1st pick

Good depth signing...

Phaneuf-Hamlik
Regehr-Ference
Warener=Zuyzin

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:10 AM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Wow me and my big mouth, maybe Risebrough was trolling this board

You guys now have Keith Carney (2 yrs) and Kim Johnsson (4 yrs?) signed. Pretty good but both are a little soft, see how you do in the trenches this year.

And what about the free agent pool?? It has been decimated in one day!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Carney is soft?

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Body Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
Carney is soft?
Sorry poor choice of words for Carney, he's old so he may be more fragile if he plays physical, he can mix it up alright