HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

News: Johnsson not out of the picture. No contract for Radivojevic.

Old
06-30-2006, 04:05 AM
Art Vandelay

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
News: Johnsson not out of the picture. No contract for Radivojevic.

Quote:
"I have no intention of spending $6 million on one player," Flyers general manager Bob Clarke said this week.

Branko Radivojevic will not be re-signed... .

Clarke will open the season with Robert Esche and Niittymaki in goal. He said the club had to decide who the No. 1 goalie would be and deal with the aftermath. In other words, the No. 2 guy likely won't be happy, and that could mean a trade before the season is over... .

Kim Johnsson wants $4 million. Clarke will make one more attempt to re-sign him but probably won't go that high...

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/14934163.htm

Seems odd about Radio, he should atleast be able to fetch a decent draft pick. Maybe Timmy P got it wrong?

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 04:10 AM
Winston Wolf

Wow, that's a surprise. I'm definitely a fan of Radivojevic as long as he's playing the right role with the right players. (i.e.: not playing with Mike Richards)

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:21 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Well, Clarkie is definitely cutting down on NHL wingers, we don't have that many to begin with.

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:30 AM
G-Force

He is obviously gearing up for a couple of ufa signings tomorrow. Should be interesting!

I like Branko too... oh well.

G-Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Rex88

Radio was nothing special but he is cheap, young and plays hard. I think you cannot have too many of those types. I think this is an error, not huge, but an error on BC.
Does this really mean Tapper is going to be in the O and B - yuck

Rex88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 06:47 AM
Steve L*

Arent we desperate for right handed shooting wingers? I know hes only a 3rd liner at best so why not offer him the minimum and stick him on the 4th line if he accepts?

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:02 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
I think this will be a mistake. Radivojevic was actually a decent penalty killer. He wasn't good because he never got on the ice. They put him with Petr Nedved hoping to turn him into a scorer when Nedved doesn't even make himself better let alone other players. Radivojevic makes a minimal salary anyways.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:08 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
I think this will be a mistake. Radivojevic was actually a decent penalty killer. He wasn't good because he never got on the ice. They put him with Petr Nedved hoping to turn him into a scorer when Nedved doesn't even make himself better let alone other players. Radivojevic makes a minimal salary anyways.
he looks like a dime a dozen player. I thought he would be a solid 20 goal scorer after he had 12 the year before with limited ice time. He disappointed.Decent penalty killer on the leagues worst ranked penalty kill won't cut it. He made over 750m last year I think, not a big loss at all and easily replaceable. surprised they didn't get a least a draft pick though for him. Looks like Ben Eager for Mike Comrie now. TP think Ruslan will make more than Mckee, I don't know about that and I do not want Mike Grier. I assume they didn't buy anyone out. I do agree with Clarek that there are affordable players out there. I would sit back and let the big players sign then go after the remains who will be looking for work. Langenbruner would be a solid pick up.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:20 AM
pelts35.com

Exit Radio on the PK and enter Marty Murray.

As for Johnsson, I don't think there is a team out there that would pay $4 mill for a guy coming off a concussion that wasn't even playing that well before the injury.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Jester

he's going after Elias with that money... Redden is off the market and Chara is worth more than that... not sure anyone else out there is a guy i want at 6M.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:34 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
he's going after Elias with that money... Redden is off the market and Chara is worth more than that... not sure anyone else out there is a guy i want at 6M.

Where are you getting that he is going after Elias?

We need help on defense, BAD! So why in the world would he spend all the money on one player? It's not going to h appen.

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:41 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
Where are you getting that he is going after Elias?

We need help on defense, BAD! So why in the world would he spend all the money on one player? It's not going to h appen.
who's the 6 Million dollar dman out there? we need a winger too.

the only guy commanding massive money on the blueline now is Chara, and he's going to get a lot more than 6.

Elias is the only guy left that i think falls into that 6 million area.

Old
06-30-2006, 07:44 AM
Jester

nevermind, i read that wrong. missed the "no.."

Old
06-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
who's the 6 Million dollar dman out there? we need a winger too.

the only guy commanding massive money on the blueline now is Chara, and he's going to get a lot more than 6.

Elias is the only guy left that i think falls into that 6 million area.
"I have no intention of spending $6 million on one player," Flyers general manager Bob Clarke said this week.

FWIW since it's Clarke.

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 07:49 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North

FWIW since it's Clarke.
yes, indeed... double-speaker if ever there was one.

Old
06-30-2006, 10:11 AM
BringBackStevens

i like radio but to me this indicates that hes making room for a UFA addition on the wing, which is good by my books.

Quote:
Clarke will open the season with Robert Esche and Niittymaki in goal. He said the club had to decide who the No. 1 goalie would be and deal with the aftermath. In other words, the No. 2 guy likely won't be happy, and that could mean a trade before the season is over... .
too me this is the best news of the article. no more goalie flip flopping

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I hope Tim is wrong and that Radio is actually brought back. I liked him.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2006, 11:29 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

bye KJ, don't let the door hit your backside on the way out.

As for replacements, I'm getting the feeling that after reading how Pat Morris has had several of his clients sign with the Flyers, it would not surprise me at all if we signed both McKee and Grier. The only problem with McKee is that he plays the same type of game as Gauthier, Rathje and Hatcher. Is it really necessary to add yet another defensive defenseman? We need a puck carrying defenseman that can skate and McKee doesn't quite fit that bill. Same with Salei.

I'm still holding out hope that they can somehow find a way to sign Jovanovski. He'd be great on that backend and it would give us three and three, three who are puck carriers and three who are strictly defensive defensemen. However, after reading the article on philly.com, I'm not convinced that the team is going to go after one of the better puck carriers.

As for forwards, I sure as hell hope we don't sign Langenbrunner. But, seeing as to how we signed Hatcher at the insistence of Hitch, it won't surprise me if another one of his boys comes on board in Philadelphia.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:36 AM
mikedifr

I know it is not significant as far as us making the playoffs, etc. but I liked Rado and think the team should have kept him. He is cheap, fast, good pker and works hard 99% of the time. These were all things this team needs. I also dont feel he was ever given a chance this past season for whatever reason. I still think he becomes a 20 goal 45-50 point player when he is given more then "5 minutes" of ice time per game.

I just hope this doesnt become another Justin Williams, Vinny Prospal, Ruslan Fedotenko situation where the guy goes to another team and is very effective.

Unless we sign someone really good, who replaces him at RW, Tapper?

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote