HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lines I'd go with for tonight....

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 08:38 AM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
Lines I'd go with for tonight....

Slats has to get us back on the right track of rolling 4 effective lines and the best combo's I can think of right now would be-

Rucinsky-Lindros-Lundmark
Hlavac-Nedved-Kovalev
Moore-Holik-Carter
Simon-Mess-Barnaby

These 2 games are 2 games they must get 4 pts out of and just as importantly they have to get back to getting a 4 line defensive system to run smoothly as it has shown glimpses of doing a dozne games into the season.

On defense I really, I mean really can't understand the Leetch-Poti paring! :mad:

I just F'in kills me!Just like teaming 2 of the biggest centers in the east on one line in Holik and Lindros instead of creating TWO lines with monster centerman I really don't see the logic in plaing our 2 best offensive d-men together while leaving the pairing short on size and toughness.

SPREAD it out alittle Slats.Putting either Mironov(preferably) or Malakhov with Leetch will raise each guys level of play.Have either guy just focus on being Leetchie's anchor and covering up for him when he takes a chance while also bringing some physical play.

deVries-Poti had looked good together in stretches and being they'd be the 2nd pairing with Leetch back as ooppossed to the 1st when #2 was out I think they'd be even more effective.

That leaves a Malakhov-Kaspairitis 3rd pair that would recieve considerably less time then the other 2 pairings.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:47 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
I'd go with:
Moore-Lindros-Lundmark
Hlavac-Nedved-Kovalev
Rucinsky-Holik-Carter
Simon-Messier-Barnaby

Why break up the lines that work? The Holik line and the Mess line were the best and most consistent lines we had until Sather decided to break them up. Leave the bottom 2 lines alone and work on getting the top 2 lines going. I'd also like to see if Lundmark and Moore's enthusiasm would rub off on Lindros like York and Fleury's did, that Lundmark and Moore had some chemistry before is just a plus. As for the Nedved line, I'd consider replacing Hlavac with LaCouture on LW and give Lac instructions to just crash the net every time he's in the offensive zone.

D:
Leetch-Mironov
de Vries-Poti
Kasparaitis-Bouchard

Again, stick with what works. That means leaving Poti with de Vries and putting Bouchard back in the lineup next to Kaspar. Mironov and Malakhov can battle it out to be Leetch's partner. Hell, they'll both probably play better once they know there's a 50/50 shot they'll be in the press box for the next game.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:10 AM
True Blue

I'm with Kodiak. Let me first say that Pasha's lines are more absurdity. Holik is NOT a #1 center. He IS the best checking center in the league. Isn't that what we got him for? Isn't it time that we used him CONSISTENTLY in that role? That's when he has played the best. Anyway, Kodiak's lines make sense to me. The only wrinkle to throw in is to flip-flop Simon and Moore. Just an idea. The other problem that I have is Hlavac. We all know that he'll be back in tonight. If he has another invisible night, it's time to sit him on a permanent basis. Granted, if all else stays constant, that would mean that Lac would be the LW for Nedved and Kovalev. That seems odd, but so did Petro playing there last year. Not that I think that Lac is anything but a 4th liner, still if he can just park himself in front of the net, Nedved and Kovy can create more than enough offense between the 2 of them.
Both Carter and Rosie has looked out of place everywhere except with Holik. Mess is best when playing 12 minutes with Simon and Matty.
As for the defense, how can Bouch not be in the lineup. He has more points than than any defenseman other than de Vries. And he has played in 3 less games than all of them except Poti, who still has 1 more game played than Bouch. It is time to call a spade a spade here. Bouchard is one of our better defensemen and the only 2 who should not be sat so that he can play are de Vries and Leetch. It has gotten to the point that we are a worse team if Bouchard is not in the lineup. Time to pick a player from Kasper, Poti, or M&M to sit so that Bouchard can take his rightfull place in the lineup.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'd try:

Simon-Lindros-Lundmark
Moore-Nedved-Kovalev
Rucinsky-Holik-Carter
Hlavac-Messier-Barnaby

11-10-2003, 09:46 AM
Davisian

I still say Lindros is better as a wing these days..

Moore Nedved Kovalev

Barnaby Lundmark Lindros

Ruchinsky Holik Carter

Simon Mess LaCouture

Leetch Mironov

Poti DeVries

Kaspar Bouchard

Moore AND Lundmark on top lines??? Malakhov scratched?? Yeah, I'm holding my breath..

Old
11-10-2003, 09:57 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I'd try:

Simon-Lindros-Lundmark
Moore-Nedved-Kovalev
Rucinsky-Holik-Carter
Hlavac-Messier-Barnaby
Thats fine.... just sub Hlavac with D-Lac

Old
11-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Fletch

Davisian..

those lines are absurb!!!! Barnaby on two lines? He's been good, but not THAT good... (haha).

I like most suggestions, but would likely do the following:

Moore-Lindros-Kovalev
Lacouture-Nedved-Lundmark
Rucinsky-Holik-Carter
Simon-Messier-Barnaby

Sounds wierd, but unfortunately that's what I've come up with. Here's the 'logic'. I wanted to break up Kovalev and Nedved. It ain't working. I didn't want to break up the only two lines that have been going, one for the better part of the entire season, the other for the last 3-4 games it was in tact. Lacouture's not a likely guy for Nedved's left, but I don't want to see Hlavac out there and Lacouture and Lundmark did have some spark together (aside from the Philly game). I put Moore next to Lindros, but originally wanted Lundmark there, but I was missing a right winger for Nedved and that's why Moore's there, and not with Lindros. Perhaps Moore and Lacouture could flip-flop, but I rather have Kovalev play with Moore or Lundmark, as opposed to Lacouture.

Phew...that was long-winded.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
those lines are absurb!!!! Barnaby on two lines? He's been good, but not THAT good... (haha).
Yeah, yeah, I edited as you typed!

As I said, Lindros should be a wing nowadays, and I'd like to see he and Barnaby team up again..

Either way, we're all dreaming.. There's no way we see Bouchard, Moore and Lundmark all in the lineup, unless there were major injuries in the morning skate..

Old
11-10-2003, 10:13 AM
John Flyers Fan

... nice to see you guys all on the same page :p

Old
11-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Fletch

I think the point is, John...

that whatever Sather is doing, doesn't make a whole heck of a lot of sense. In essence, we want to see four lines rolled. We want to see some youth given a chance (two guys have shown that they can play, but aren't given a fair chance even though older guys are making the same mistakes over and over again). We want to see a team that tries hard and doesn't fall apart after the first 20 minutes and leaves its' goalie out to dry, night after night. Is it any wonder why Dunham walks around with a huge ice pack on his groin?

Old
11-10-2003, 10:33 AM
JR#9*

While I understand not wnating to have Hlavac in the lineup based on his subpar play thus far I for the life of me can't figure how you guys would bench him in favor of Lacouture who is one of the few guys who's failed even more than Jan has in filling the role he's suppossed to play.

Dan has been absolutely invisible and is getting nothing accomplished and should be bumped even before Jan.

And Nedved doesn't play well with grinders such as Barnaby or Lacouture.He needs skill guys to thrive.

The other point I agreed on was as Fletch said I think, I would experiment with putting Kovalev back with Lindros despite their problems last year.Eric couldn't play well with Lemeiux even last yr, that's how bad his season wnet.Maybe this yrs Eric will be able to get something going with Kovie.

It can't hurt any as niether has had success with their linemates as of yet.Maybe Eric going back to a physical game can thrive with some of the open ice Kovalev creates and Eric goes to the net much harder than Nedved so it may be a move worth making.If that were the case I would likely try Simon with Lindros and AK as Chris can help Lindros with the boardwork and crashing the net.

Simon-Lindros-Kovalev
Hlavac-Nedved-Lundmark
Rosie-Holik-Carter
Moore/Lacouture-Mess-Barnaby

And if Simon didn't fit on the Lindros line put him back with Mess-Matty and slide Rosie up w/Lindros-AK and either Moore-Lacouture plays on Holik's LW.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:36 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Is it any wonder why Dunham walks around with a huge ice pack on his groin?

Classic line.

I understand that you guys are frustrated, but just funny that every person that comes to this thread has a different set of line-combos.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:42 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Classic line.

I understand that you guys are frustrated, but just funny that every person that comes to this thread has a different set of line-combos.
Do you mean we aren't able to replicate all the line stability the Flyers have been able to achieve over the last couple of years???

I gatta tell you John, I've noticed a new condensending tone to you posts this year as the Flyers are looking strong which is all fine and dandy but it is in contrast to the "nice level headed guy from Philly" approach you've taken here previously.

As I said, no problem with the change but just letting you know that it hasn't gone unoticed and I'm sure you'll be getting into it more and more with the NYR fans here which will make it more interesting anyway.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:43 AM
True Blue

[QUOTE=John Flyers FanI understand that you guys are frustrated, but just funny that every person that comes to this thread has a different set of line-combos.[/QUOTE]
Not really. Most people agree that lines 3 & 4 should be:
Rosie-Holik-Carter
Simon-Mess-Matty

Then most people agree with that our top 2 lines should start off this way:

Nedved-Kovalev
Lindros-Lundmark

From there, it's just a matter of plugging away. Most of us want to see Moore in the lineup, so it's a question of does he play with Lindros or should Simon get a shot there. From my perspective, if Nedved and Kovalev are on the same line, it does not matter much who the LW is as he'll probably never touch the puck.
Not everyone is as happy or content as Flyer fans are with their lines. We do not have Hitch constructing lines that make sense with everyone playing their role. No, we have Sather playing the lines as if they are a jig-saw puzzle, trying to ram in square pegs into round holes. Had Hitch been here, I almost guarantee that the lines would be set according to what makes sense and there wouldn't be much grousing.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:46 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
I gatta tell you John, I've noticed a new condensending tone to you posts this year
Agreed. John, you have the right to say what you want whenever you want to. I think that the Flyer "success" (if getting bounced out in the first round is called that) is skewing your impartial attitude.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:49 AM
ihatenewjersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I'd go with:
Moore-Lindros-Lundmark
Hlavac-Nedved-Kovalev
Rucinsky-Holik-Carter
Simon-Messier-Barnaby
2nd this

Old
11-10-2003, 10:57 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Do you mean we aren't able to replicate all the line stability the Flyers have been able to achieve over the last couple of years???

I gatta tell you John, I've noticed a new condensending tone to you posts this year as the Flyers are looking strong which is all fine and dandy but it is in contrast to the "nice level headed guy from Philly" approach you've taken here previously.

As I said, no problem with the change but just letting you know that it hasn't gone unoticed and I'm sure you'll be getting into it more and more with the NYR fans here which will make it more interesting anyway.
Our lines change on a regular basis, I have no problems saying that. I think all teams lines change on a regular basis. Hockey isn't the same as it used to be when you had line that would stay together for an entire year if not multiple years.

Hitchcock has pairs that he keeps together and then mixes and matches the other player depending on if things are working or not.

I haven't seen too many of the Rangers game this year, so I won't propose all 4 lines, but I would try out a few things.

Lindros - Kovalev - Lindros needs someone to carry the puck up the ice now, that's why the FLY line worked, because York or Fleury could carry the puck up the ice.

Messier should play less than 10:00 a night at even stength and them get some PP time.

Leetch & Poti should not play together. They should play with a more stay at home guy that would allow them to take some offensive chanes.

Kaspar should also be played with a stay at home guy, because he's at his best when going for the big hit, but it does open him up for odd-man chances.

de Vries is the one stay at home defenseman, but neither of the M & M boys are of that same ilk. Try to make a trade for another solid stay at home defenseman, even if it's a guy like Therien, while not great he would be more solid than Mironov or Malakhov.

I won't comment on Moore, because I haven't seen him play.

With good coaching a minor trade or two the Rangers should make the playoffs as the 6th or 7th seed.

Old
11-10-2003, 11:01 AM
John Flyers Fan

[QUOTE=True Blue]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers FanI understand that you guys are frustrated, but just funny that every person that comes to this thread has a different set of line-combos.[/QUOTE
Not really. Most people agree that lines 3 & 4 should be:
Rosie-Holik-Carter
Simon-Mess-Matty

Then most people agree with that our top 2 lines should start off this way:

Nedved-Kovalev
Lindros-Lundmark
I'll be the first to admit that I don't watch all the Rangers games, but IMO the 4 best players the Rangers have at carrying the puck up the ice are Kovalev, Nedved, Leetch & Poti.

Lindros needs someone to carry the puck up the ice for him, he can still be a force in the offensive zone, but he's not nearly the player he used to be in the neutral zone (leery of getting stood up at the blue line again).

Old
11-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Lundie26

vCash:
Id go with

Lundmark-Lindros-Carter
Moore/Hlavac-Nedved-Kovalev
Rucinsky-Holik-LaCouture
Simon-Messier-Barnaby

Leetch-Kaspar
De Vries-Poti
Malakhov-Mirinov

Old
11-10-2003, 11:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundie26
Id go with

Lundmark-Lindros-Carter
Moore/Hlavac-Nedved-Kovalev
Rucinsky-Holik-LaCouture
Simon-Messier-Barnaby

Leetch-Kaspar
De Vries-Poti
Malakhov-Mirinov
Sorry but Lacouture has done nothing to warrant third line/checking line minutes. And Carter and Lindros were a mess together.

Old
11-10-2003, 11:34 AM
TKLOOCH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I'd go with:
Moore-Lindros-Lundmark
Hlavac-Nedved-Kovalev
Rucinsky-Holik-Carter
Simon-Messier-Barnaby
I third this. Lindros, Moore and Lundmark is the closest thing we will ever come to the old FLY line and Lindros would most definately be reenergized playing with those two yutes.

Old
11-10-2003, 11:48 AM
Fletch

Having Lindros...

center a line with Moore and Lundmark (or Moore centering a line with Lindros on the right and Lundmark on the left) is a good idea, but this team's top scoring line should contain Kovalev, and Nedved and Kovalev aren't getting it done together, let along Nedved-Hlavac and Kovalev. Maybe have Petr center the kid line with Kovalev and a left winger, but personally, I'd rather not mess up the Mess and Holik lines and Lacouture shouldn't be on a line with Kovalev and I'm not sure I'm ready to watch Hlavac just yet.

Closed Thread