Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Compare and Contrast Defensive Units in the NW

Old
07-02-2006, 09:54 AM
The Big E

vCash: 500
Compare and Contrast Defensive Units in the NW

Yesterday makes things interesting, dunnit?

I think that the Wild have the most improved defensive unit in the NW. With our offensive upgrades, we should be competitive. Here's my take on where we stand.

EDMONTON
Edmonton's D is seriously weakened with the impending loss of Pronger. Still pretty tough though. Powerplay and penalty kill is seriously weakened without Pronger. They are neither fast nor deep. They better hope for a great deal when they trade Pronger. [edited 7/3 12:12pm] Pronger's gone in return for Joffrey Lupul and picks. Edmonton is significantly weaker and unless they pull something big, the weakest D unit in the NW.

CALGARY
Calgary loses Jordan Leopold ... a offensively challenged team loses one of two offensive D-men. Still the best defensive corps in the NW, just too defensive. Penalty kill will still be awesome. Leopold was kinda stinky last year, but his potential is huge. Powerplay won't be too impressive. Phaneuf will have to carry it. Or a forward at the point with Phaneuf.

VANCOUVER
Vancouver loses Jovanovski, picks up Mitchell. I'm a Willie fan, but Jovo brings more. Especially those weak-side far-post tap ins he scorese fairly regularly. Vancouver loses one of the all-around best in the league when he's healthy. I think they're weaker. However, they do have a goalie who doesn't suck which might compensate. Penalty kill will be just as good, powerplay is weaker without Jovo. Plenty tough D corps.

COLORADO
Colorado loses Blake and gains Leopold. Resigning Skrastins was good because he's an awesome shot-blocker. Colorado remains the same. I think Leopold will step up it up. Liles and Leopold will be great. They'll miss Blake on the penalty kill. Not a particularly tough defensive unit.

And now ... my beloved Wild.

Fast except for Carney. Not particularly tough, except for Carney. Maybe Burns will begin playing mean ... maybe? Sweet puck carrying corps: Skoula, Burns, Nummelin and now Johnsson. Good powerplay now -- Take your pick ... Skoula, Nummelin, Johnsson & Foster. I figure its Johnsson and whoever's playing well at the moment. Penalty kill should still be awesome. Henry, Kuba and Zyuisin are gone, Nummelin and Johnsson are in. DEFINITELY an improvement. I hope Nummelin is as good as we all hope he'll be.

Alrighty then ...

Discuss amongst yourselves (as Mike Meyer once said) ...

The Big E

Last edited by The Big E: 07-03-2006 at 12:13 PM.
The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:41 AM
ceber

IMO we've got some risk. Nummelin's getting paid like a sure-thing, so I hope he is. Johnsson may not be the guy he was due to the head injury. I'm glad we have a guy like Carney. Can Shultz learn from him? I hope. Nick could be more physical than he is (started to last season). Is Foster's early season output going to come back? If not, he better get better without the puck. If our guys play to their potential, I think we've got a D group that's going to be a blast to watch.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Chrisd

I think Burns will be the wild card on our D.

I can see him improving big time and becoming a great D man, god forbid that we live him on D this year...

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:18 AM
sweetcrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber View Post
IMO we've got some risk. Nummelin's getting paid like a sure-thing, so I hope he is. Johnsson may not be the guy he was due to the head injury. I'm glad we have a guy like Carney. Can Shultz learn from him? I hope. Nick could be more physical than he is (started to last season). Is Foster's early season output going to come back? If not, he better get better without the puck. If our guys play to their potential, I think we've got a D group that's going to be a blast to watch.
I must say that I've been impressed with how the Wild have almost instantly made themselves a contender. A couple of the deals made me scratch my head as to the value of the contract, but otherwise good pickups all around. Contract value was rather inflated across the leasue so I don't think any of the Wild signings were inappropriate.

Being an Oiler fan also makes me scream how they are somewhat balking at the idea of resigning Laraque. Being division rivals, and having Derek Boogaard on the team... Need I say more?

sweetcrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:31 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

me likey

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 12:51 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Vancouver isn't done as GM Nonis said he is in the market via FA or trade for one more defenseman.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:23 PM
vitogor

I agree with ceber, our D is a big question mark. High risk high reward, but personally, I'll take the risk. It's a good change from all the *safe* signings from years past.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Wild Bill

Good analysis E.

I agree with the others who said our D-core as is looks a little risky, but it also looks like everyone else in the division took a step back. Calgary still the cream of the crop. They got a MEGA steal for Leopold in Tanguay, so that was definitely worth the gamble. Edmonton without Pronger will really depend on who's brought in for him. I'm still not convinced he's good as gone though...maybe they'll kiss and make up...hope not though. Vancouver gets a solid guy in Mitchell, but loses a dynamic element in Jovo...glad to see him out of the NW. Colorado's doesn't impress me too much and with Thoedore=enigma and Lacroix gone, this situation could get worse.

I do think this is the best core we've had here, but would like to see one more guy with NHL experience brought in for depth.

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 11:21 AM
The Big E

I'm completely with y'all that there is a risk. Every team has at least one glaring problem/risk with their D.

Johnsson
I'm guessing Risebrough was satisified with their doctors analysis of Johnsson's recovery from his concussions and his sinus surgery.

Nummelin
As for Nummelin, if he's a bust, we've got Reitz on the farm who will be adequate. If Nummelin pans out, we've got a good offensive D-Man and cap room in which to maneuver in March.

Maybe it's like a gambling addiction, Risebrough just HAS TO find someone who was overlooked by everyone else cuz this time he's sure it'll pan out this time. Plus I think Lemaire has Risebrough's confidence that if JL thinks he can develop the guy into what we need, DR will trust in Jacque and get the guy. Furthermore, what prospect have we lost to get a offensive-minded D-Man ... and if Nummelin's a bust? So what ... bring up Reitz! We've still got Johnsson, Burns, Skoula and Foster.

Later,

The Big E

Old
07-03-2006, 11:36 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E View Post
I'm completely with y'all that there is a risk. Every team has at least one glaring problem/risk with their D.

Johnsson
I'm guessing Risebrough was satisified with their doctors analysis of Johnsson's recovery from his concussions and his sinus surgery.

Nummelin
As for Nummelin, if he's a bust, we've got Reitz on the farm who will be adequate. If Nummelin pans out, we've got a good offensive D-Man and cap room in which to maneuver in March.

Maybe it's like a gambling addiction, Risebrough just HAS TO find someone who was overlooked by everyone else cuz this time he's sure it'll pan out this time. Plus I think Lemaire has Risebrough's confidence that if JL thinks he can develop the guy into what we need, DR will trust in Jacque and get the guy. Furthermore, what prospect have we lost to get a offensive-minded D-Man ... and if Nummelin's a bust? So what ... bring up Reitz! We've still got Johnsson, Burns, Skoula and Foster.

Later,

The Big E

we wouldnt sign jonsson if he wasnt healthy. simple as that. and I think Nummelin and Reitz will make the squad.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 12:15 PM
The Big E

Oilers trade Pronger to Ducks for Lupul, others

From http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2508253

After reportedly requesting a trade out of Edmonton, Chris Pronger got his wish Monday.

Pronger
The Oilers have traded the big defenseman to the Anaheim Ducks for Joffrey Lupul, sources close to the trade told ESPN.com. Other details of the trade were not immediately known, but TSN of Canada reported that the deal involves one non-roster player and several conditional high-end draft picks.

Rumors surfaced earlier in the season that Pronger was unhappy in Edmonton after being acquired by the Oilers in the offseason from St. Louis. A source familiar with the team told ESPN.com some time ago that Pronger's wife was unhappy with the prospects of a long stay in Edmonton. Pronger has four years remaining on his contract at $6.25 million annually.

Lowe refused to specifically comment about Pronger's situation after the GM meetings on June 23, but was more forthcoming at the NHL Draft, saying he was disappointed by the news "considering the run we had [to the Stanley Cup finals]."

Lowe also said that several teams had contacted him about Pronger.

Pronger has not yet publicly commented on the trade request.

Pronger led all Oilers in playoff scoring with five goals and 16 assists in 24 games and averaged an outstanding 30:57 in ice time. The St. Louis Blues traded Pronger to Edmonton last offseason in a multiplayer trade made possible by the new collective bargaining agreement.

Edmonton's trip to the Stanley Cup finals was the first for Pronger, who won the Hart and Norris trophies after the 1999-2000 season. He was the first to win both awards since Bobby Orr did it in 1972.

Old
07-03-2006, 12:24 PM
MN_Gopher

I think that Liles and Leopold are going to be good. They are not the most physical. But they play well positionally. Our forwards are not super tough less Parrish. Calgary has Iginla, Vancouver lost Bert. Smyth is a pest but not overpowering. So those two might be one of the better pairings.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:43 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
we wouldnt sign jonsson if he wasnt healthy. simple as that. and I think Nummelin and Reitz will make the squad.
Schultz, Johnsson, Nummelin, Skoula, Carney, Burns, Foster...uhhh who doesn't make it?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:22 AM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo View Post
Schultz, Johnsson, Nummelin, Skoula, Carney, Burns, Foster...uhhh who doesn't make it?
Reitz. I'd read that Risebrough and Lemaire were thinking of only having 7 defensemen on the team this season.

The Big E