HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sad but other are still left...

Old
07-02-2006, 03:26 PM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Sad but other are still left...

I too wish Arnott or Elias or langebrunner would have signed with us. Sure I would have paid more for Savard than BTN did. Although it may seem like Gainet has failed to convinced big names to come to MTL, I must point out that the UFA signing period is far from over.

Shanahan who was sought after by Houle in his Hartford days has already expressed excitement about playing in Montreal (albeit before he ever joined the Wings).

Samsonov is a top talent who has played in Canada and who's playmaking abilities would complement Kovalev's "I'm gonna make a move and shoot" mentality. And he's another russian forward.

Recchi finally has his 2nd stanley cup. Montreal is past its dark days. He has chemistry and friendship with Koivu. Maybe he can be coaxed back.

A hungry hungry Roenick is dying to play around here.

Peca wants to come back to the east.

We can sign a D (danny markov?) to create an abundance of D and trade one (sheldon souray?) for a forward.

So what I'm saying is, all is not lost as of now.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:29 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

any new news on Roenick? I havent heard his name at all these past couple of days...ever since he announced that he is gonna be coming back next season with a BANG!

I personally would love to have JR centering our 2nd line

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:33 PM
montreal25m

no need to panic..but..

Just curious..Sydor was just traded for a 4th round draft pick. He is making 2.15 mill next year...boy would he have been a good pick up......

montreal25m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:34 PM
MathMan

The defense is good enough that adding Sydor would not have been very useful.

Habs need scoring. Last season the defensive side of things was fine, especially since Theo laid a few eggs. It's their inability to score that sunk them in the playoffs.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:38 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal25m View Post
Just curious..Sydor was just traded for a 4th round draft pick. He is making 2.15 mill next year...boy would he have been a good pick up......
Sydor is not the dman he once was. He is a 5ht or 6th at best which is why he only went for a 4th rounder.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
NEW FAVORITES (and don't worry I'm not drooling over anybody in this list:

ROENICK does become my new favorite based on his attitude to redeem himself, but I won't hold my breath.
HALPERN is another one
SALEI
SYKORA (were the Habs really interested before he got traded???)
STRAKA (not a fan but why not get him on Kovy's line....)
CARTER
JARKKO RUUTU
SAMSONOV (it would be great to see him 8 times against Boston though)
CHOUINARD (Marc not Eric....)
AARON WARD
MIKE PECA (based on the playoffs)
DANNY MARKOV

But I'm beginning to ask myself if I want those guys just for the pleasure of having some movement.......

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:44 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
NEW FAVORITES (and don't worry I'm not drooling over anybody in this list:

ROENICK does become my new favorite based on his attitude to redeem himself, but I won't hold my breath.
HALPERN is another one
SALEI
SYKORA (were the Habs really interested before he got traded???)
STRAKA (not a fan but why not get him on Kovy's line....)
CARTER
JARKKO RUUTU
SAMSONOV (it would be great to see him 8 times against Boston though)
CHOUINARD (Marc not Eric....)
AARON WARD
MIKE PECA (based on the playoffs)
DANNY MARKOV

But I'm beginning to ask myself if I want those guys just for the pleasure of having some movement.......
Jergens or ex lax will give one movement.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:45 PM
LeHab

Isn't Recchi going back to Pittsburgh ? Anyway, I don't want to see him here.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:47 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man View Post
I too wish Arnott or Elias or langebrunner would have signed with us. Sure I would have paid more for Savard than BTN did. Although it may seem like Gainet has failed to convinced big names to come to MTL, I must point out that the UFA signing period is far from over.

Shanahan who was sought after by Houle in his Hartford days has already expressed excitement about playing in Montreal (albeit before he ever joined the Wings).

Samsonov is a top talent who has played in Canada and who's playmaking abilities would complement Kovalev's "I'm gonna make a move and shoot" mentality. And he's another russian forward.

Recchi finally has his 2nd stanley cup. Montreal is past its dark days. He has chemistry and friendship with Koivu. Maybe he can be coaxed back.

A hungry hungry Roenick is dying to play around here.

Peca wants to come back to the east.

We can sign a D (danny markov?) to create an abundance of D and trade one (sheldon souray?) for a forward.

So what I'm saying is, all is not lost as of now.
I like Recchi, Markov idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal25m
No no no... good thing we dont grab him

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:57 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal25m View Post
Boullion at 1.875 vs. Sydor at 2.15.... Easy choice here.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:06 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

I can't understand the pacifism of some Habs fans with BG striking out in aquiring a big name UFA, some many people are writting "oh, we didn't wan't Elias or Arnott or any of those guys, we don't need to sign guys just for the sake of it". What world are they living in, this team seriously lacks an offensive dimension and we need a big game player to become a serious contender. There's a difference between Gainey being patient and him failing to get anything of note done at all. Sometimes you need to be agressive and throw a bit of monay around to get a deal done, but I guess Gainey thinks he and the team is too good to resort to actual risk taking and determined negotiating. I wanted at least one of the guys already snatched up and the rest of the pile kinda looks like the middle of the pack guys our team is filled with. I rate this offseason a serious dissapointment, if i haven't already made myslef clear.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:15 PM
GoHabsGO252006

As much as I liked Arnott and wanted him signed here, I'm glad BG didn't commit to a 32 year old player for 5 years. Especially one who is as volatile in terms of production as Arnott is. He put in an offer and a good one at that for Elias and Elias chose to go with the extra years from NJ, I can't fault BG for not going up to 7 years that's ludicrous.

Other big names were mostly Dmen where we don't need to waste our money b/c our real issue is offence.

Given that I am prepared to surrender some picks to go scooping an RFA ala Havlat. If we could lock him up for 5 years at something like 5.5 we'd only have to surrender 2, 1st rounders, 1 2nd and 1 3rd well worth it for an impact player as far as i'm concerned.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:22 PM
ppil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever View Post
I can't understand the pacifism of some Habs fans with BG striking out in aquiring a big name UFA, some many people are writting "oh, we didn't wan't Elias or Arnott or any of those guys, we don't need to sign guys just for the sake of it". What world are they living in, this team seriously lacks an offensive dimension and we need a big game player to become a serious contender. There's a difference between Gainey being patient and him failing to get anything of note done at all. Sometimes you need to be agressive and throw a bit of monay around to get a deal done, but I guess Gainey thinks he and the team is too good to resort to actual risk taking and determined negotiating. I wanted at least one of the guys already snatched up and the rest of the pile kinda looks like the middle of the pack guys our team is filled with. I rate this offseason a serious dissapointment, if i haven't already made myslef clear.
I still thinks that canadians team have difficulties signing big names because of the taxes and all, just look at the crazy numbers that the leaf and the sens had to give to get players. IMO Kubina was a 4-4.2 player in USA but a 5 in canada, so if you wanted an Elias at 7.5 for 7 years or an arnott a 5.5 for 5 years good for you, but I think that we will be better if we wait for a good deal or for a guy that really wants to come here. It always has been this way and it will be worst since every US teams have enough money to get player and it wasn't the case before. I don't think that any GM will be able to get around that problem.

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Covenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
any new news on Roenick? I havent heard his name at all these past couple of days...ever since he announced that he is gonna be coming back next season with a BANG!

I personally would love to have JR centering our 2nd line
Roenick has stated he wants to play in Ottawa or Toronto. Apparently Ottawa is not interested...the Leafs, we shall see.

Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Chevs

Weight should be added because our division has defenders has large gauge.

PRIORITY 1 (offensive)

Jason Allison (option 1)
Brendan Shanahan (option 2)
Bill Guerin (option 3)

PRIORITY 2 (def)
Ruslan Salei or Brendan Witt or Aaron Ward

PRIORITY 3 (toughness)

Donald Brashear or Chris Simon

With its three addition the team will be larger and will have more depth.

Ryder-Allison-Perezhogin
Kovalev-Koivu-Higgins
Zednik-Bonk or Ribiero-Plekanec
Brashear-Begin-Murray or Downey

Markov-Salei
Souray-Rivet
Bouillon-Komisarek
Dandenault

Huet-Aebischer

A good list of player to go to seek an assailing good (Souray,Ribiero or Bonk,Aebischer,Zednik)

Souray wanted to approach his daughter and wanted to go in the west. Why not try to acquire Dustin Penner!

Last edited by Chevs: 07-02-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Chevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Let`s face it we need offensive stars. Last year we didn`t have one guy in the top 50 in points in the league! At least with Shanahan we have that garantee and he would brought that leadership that we lack.

Get him and i`m happy.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:44 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I'm dissapointed we didn't sign any marquee player, because we have to get better in order to sneak into the playoffs, no matter how good we were with Huet, we're not alone and playing in our division got a little harder since the draft. However, I'm glad we didn't signed Elias or Arnott for 7 or 5 years. That's WAY too long for 30-31 years old players.

Old
07-02-2006, 04:46 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevs View Post
Weight should be added because our division has defenders has large gauge.

PRIORITY 1 (offensive)

Jason Allison (option 1)
Brendan Shanahan (option 2)
Bill Guerin (option 3)

PRIORITY 2 (def)
Ruslan Salei or Brendan Witt or Aaron Ward

PRIORITY 3 (toughness)

Donald Brashear or Chris Simon

I agree with your post. Allison did play 66 games last season and had 60 points which is 1 PPG, thats while being behind Sundin and Lindros for part of the season until Lindros was injured. The games he missed had nothing to do with his previous injuries, it was a broken hand. He is 6'3 220 lbs and a great assist man. + He wouldn't be demanding a high salary.

Unfortunetely I don't think he would want to come to MTL or that he is Gainey's type of player.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:49 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

What about Barnaby? Maybe we could get him for 800k and he's a decent agitator.

Old
07-02-2006, 04:50 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Let`s face it we need offensive stars. Last year we didn`t have one guy in the top 50 in points in the league! At least with Shanahan we have that garantee and he would brought that leadership that we lack.

Get him and i`m happy.
This may sound nuts but keep Ribs, sign Eric and samsonov and work around the deficiencies.

Old
07-02-2006, 04:51 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
We don't need another agitator. Maybe if we had not signed Downey and Murray but not now.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:51 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
It is the frittering away money that will hit a team. At this point Lats and Lap would be as effective.

Old
07-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Uber Coca

I'm happy Gainey didn't spend all his money on a mediocre player like Arnott. My plan would be ; sign or trade for a big center to replace Ribeiro, and go with our young guns.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:57 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
It is the frittering away money that will hit a team. At this point Lats and Lap would be as effective.
Especially Lapierre IMO. He's faster and more ready than Lats.

Old
07-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Makarov

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Sydor is not the dman he once was. He is a 5ht or 6th at best which is why he only went for a 4th rounder.
Why he was had for a 4th rounder is because the Bolts decided to invest 20M in 3 players...

He's still a top 4 defenseman on our team and most others...

Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote