HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The official POSITIVE thread!!

Old
07-02-2006, 02:37 PM
SOLR

vCash: 500
The big surprise will be Chipchura being ready to play 2nd center. (lol, nah im joking, but it would be funny.)

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:26 PM
RC51

Calm down everyone.

Now think ! none of the current signings of all these UFA'S at big long term contracts have made any team an instant cup contender.
Mostly it's bad clubs trying to just get better and make the playoffs.

In the Est, Boston will be a bit better but then again no cup contender.
Jersey did not add a top player they just resigned thier own player.
Toronto, well no cup contender thier

Out west, Av's lost Blake,Dallas lost Arnott but to clubs with problems.

Overall so far, the price was way too high and way to long. In the future we will see that most of these contracts will prove to be bad deals. Only a few will turn out to be good ones.
Remember that the UFA age goes down and the CAP will not go up 5mil per year for the next 5 years for sure.

Don't get too wound up that Gainey has not made BIG MOVES.
Don't lose sight that the biggest asset in a CAP world is your prospects. Every year thier will always be expensive UFA'S that can put you over the top to a CUP.

No matter what, next year was NOT a CUP year for the Habs, but we have all seen the progression of the kids and that's a FACT.
More are comming and for the next 2-3 years too boot.

Gainey knows what the Habs need and will continue to hunt for that top centre and if in the end he MUST BUY at wild prices then do it when it's a CUP year.

It just seems that Gainey is holding on to his gold while everyone else is buying DOT COM stock.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Calm down everyone.

Now think ! none of the current signings of all these UFA'S at big long term contracts have made any team an instant cup contender.

Overall so far, the price was way too high and way to long. In the future we will see that most of these contracts will prove to be bad deals. Only a few will turn out to be good ones.
Remember that the UFA age goes down and the CAP will not go up 5mil per year for the next 5 years for sure.

Don't lose sight that the biggest asset in a CAP world is your prospects. Every year thier will always be expensive UFA'S that can put you over the top to a CUP.

No matter what, next year was NOT a CUP year for the Habs, but we have all seen the progression of the kids and that's a FACT.

Gainey knows what the Habs need and will continue to hunt for that top centre and if in the end he MUST BUY at wild prices then do it when it's a CUP year.

It just seems that Gainey is holding on to his gold while everyone else is buying DOT COM stock.

Oh, I think the Bruins will be a lot better. For one thing, they will definitely not lose 7 of 8 to the Habs. If the Habs had split with the Bruins last season, they wouldn't have made the playoffs. The Thrasher's won't have the goalie injury crisis they went through last season. The Leafs will have a better defense. The Lightning should be stronger in goal. Finally, most teams have kids that are progressing. Did you expect them to tread water while only the Habs have good prospects?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 03:46 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Oh, I think the Bruins will be a lot better. For one thing, they will definitely not lose 7 of 8 to the Habs. If the Habs had split with the Bruins last season, they wouldn't have made the playoffs. The Thrasher's won't have the goalie injury crisis they went through last season. The Leafs will have a better defense. The Lightning should be stronger in goal. Finally, most teams have kids that are progressing. Did you expect them to tread water while only the Habs have good prospects?
That doesn't sound very positive . May be you could delete this post and add it to one of the 20 other threads that are negative !!!

Positive ; i am so happy that we didn't sign a player yet , seeing how they are all largely overpaid .

Viva Gainey , Viva La Chou !!!

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Let's get this thread bumped back up.

Ottawa's downgraded in goal and on defence.
The Leafs just traded a decent goalie prospect for a goalie who lost his starting job last year.
The Bruins overpaid for a centre who put up big numbers with Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovalchuk.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:48 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pickles View Post
Let's get this thread bumped back up.

Ottawa's downgraded in goal and on defence.
The Leafs just traded a decent goalie prospect for a goalie who lost his starting job last year.
The Bruins overpaid for a centre who put up big numbers with Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovalchuk.
I feel better now...

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:23 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
Frankly some of the deals signed so far may wind up bringing teams down in the long run.

I much prefer building from within. Another offensive or two way centre would be great....but not essential.

In the long run we will be happy we don't have these long contracts weighing us down when it comes time to sign our homegrown talent to bigger contracts.
It cant just be from within as at 27 they are gonzo. And stars are required

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:25 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
The big surprise will be Chipchura being ready to play 2nd center. (lol, nah im joking, but it would be funny.)
Chip couldnt even skate well enough to dominate the WHL

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Habbadasher

Although Edmonton and Carolina both kind of came out of no-where, this is not a Cup contending team that "needs one more player" to make it over the top. There is no sense in overpaying for declining talent and thus handcuffing the team when it really counts.

In Bob we trust.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:36 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
How about our wild card Grabovsky? This guy is simply amazing. I dont know how many people told us we were lucky to have him...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
How about our wild card Grabovsky? This guy is simply amazing. I dont know how many people told us we were lucky to have him...
Um, sorry, no. Grabovsky isn't a 1st or 2nd rounder thus we aren't allowed on HF to discuss his star potential.

Old
07-03-2006, 12:08 AM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

48 hours into Free Agency and Gainey's done zip. YES, AWESOME, RIGHT ON! This team is going to be instantly better relying on a new crop of untried rookies and returning sophmore players. I can already smell that 8th seed finish and first round playoff exit. But hey maybe i'm wrong, i guess i just forget the names of all those game breaking players we have that'll power the team to the top of league standings and drive deep into the playoffs...

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 12:24 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsberg4ever View Post
48 hours into Free Agency and Gainey's done zip. YES, AWESOME, RIGHT ON! This team is going to be instantly better relying on a new crop of untried rookies and returning sophmore players. I can already smell that 8th seed finish and first round playoff exit. But hey maybe i'm wrong, i guess i just forget the names of all those game breaking players we have that'll power the team to the top of league standings and drive deep into the playoffs...
This is called the 'Positivity Thread'.
Learn to read. You can post your whining in one of the 20 other incredibly pessimistic threads.

Old
07-03-2006, 12:41 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pickles View Post
Um, sorry, no. Grabovsky isn't a 1st or 2nd rounder thus we aren't allowed on HF to discuss his star potential.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Istvan

++++++++++++

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 11:50 AM
HockeyPeriod

I'm really hoping that BG is waiting in the weeds to see what other teams will need to trade once they realise they don't have enough money to sign all their restricted free agents...

HockeyPeriod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Twister mtl

the only thing i see realy positive is , atleast we will have the first round pick next year.

Twister mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister mtl View Post
the only thing i see realy positive is , atleast we will have the first round pick next year.
Hmm...activity in the free agent market is directly proportional to a team's success? Did you think Pitts would win the cup last year too?

Old
07-03-2006, 01:54 PM
kostitsyn1489

Does Carolina signed big name before winnign the stanley cup? A couple of player like Williams but no big name and no big $$$.
Does Oilers signed a lot of big name before being a stanley cup finalist? Peca but after that?
Does Buffalo signing big name before being a eastern conference finalist? Dumont and Briere a couple of years ago when nobody wants them.
Anaheim do with Niedermayer.

1 team of the final four sign a good player so...

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 02:26 PM
oli500

Overpaying for free agents = failures

Just look at the leafs over the last 30 years, They allways bring in free agents to " improuve theire team " and every year they fail and disapoint.

You dont sign players for the hell of it. You sign players to fill a need. Sure savard or Arnott would of been nice but like I said before, we dident need savard or Arnott for 5 years and thats what they wanted to sign is a 5 year deal. We got plenty of young talented centers who are capable of filling in that 2nd line center. We just need someone to step in thel those youngster are ready for that role.

You want to sign players because they have one goal in mind and that is winning. Do you think chara is all about winning, no. He left a team that was a contender on a yearly basis to go to a rebuilding team. All he wanted was money and he could care less about winning. Same goes for savard and same goes with arnott who left another franchise who has a reputation of winning for one that has a good core but still has a long way to go before being what dallas is right now.

To those players I say take your money and dont come near montreal. Were building a winner, we have a great coaching staf, a great core of young players and in my opinion were not that far away from a run at the cup.

Are top six fowards aint that bad

We got the koivu-kovalev duo who when healthy provides plenty of offense. We got plenty of wingers who can complement that line.
Higgins
Ryder
Perezhogin.
As for are second line center I really would be comfortable with plekanec. He was the best player in the playoffs for the habs and did an amazing job at steping his game up a notch when we needid him to. Did we really have to spend all this money when we allready have the ingridents. What we need is someone who can complement those youngsters and there plenty of players still available who can do that role.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Calm down everyone.

Trouble is, it'll be the SAME kids. I doubt whether more than one rookie will make the team this coming season.

Old
07-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Calm down everyone.

You're calling players who are better than almost everyone on the Habs DOT COM stocks? Where do you get that sense of false security?

Old
07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
turnbuckle*

Here's what the top teams from 2006 have done on the FA market

Edmonton - re-signed a UFA goalie and re-signed a forward

Carolina - re-signed a UFA defenceman and signed a UFA goalie

And Montreal? re-signed UFA defencemen and re-signed a UFA goalie.

Looks familiar doesn't it?

Other top teams?

Anaheim signed no UFAs

Buffalo signed no UFAs.

Teams who have made no significant new UFA acquisitions:

Carolina
Montreal
Edmonton
Philadelphia
Detroit
Anaheim
Calgary
Columbus
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Dallas
New Jersey
San Jose

We're not alone folks.

Edmonton loses Pronger, Peca, Samsonov, Murray, Tjarnstrom, Spacek; have gained Smid and Lupul. They are worse off right now without question.

Carolina loses Gerber, Weight, Cullen, Recchi, Ward; they've gained Ron Grahame....they're worse off right now without question.

Buffalo loses McKee, Grier, Numminen and Fitzpatrick. They have signed no one. They are worse off on the blueline without a doubt.

Anaheim loses Salei, Lupul, Friesen and Smid; they have gained Pronger. They are better on defence, but certainly not deeper overall.

San Jose loses McAuley and Thornton, gains no one. A little worse off.

Montreal loses Bulis, Sundstrom, Dagenais. No one signed yet. Not really worse off.

One could argue that teams that lost players are expecting young players to step up, but the same can be said for Montreal, and all they're replacing is Bulis and Sundstrom, who was a scrub at the end anyway.

Not many of the top teams have Montreal's deep forward prospect list entering this season either; players like Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Chipchura, Ferland, and Lapierre will ensure that the Habs are going to have plenty of competition for spots this October even if Bob doesn't pick up a UFA. When you also consider that Plekanec, Murray, Higgins, and Perezhogin will all essentially be NHL sophomores next season, and only four forwards are in their 30s (three in their very early 30s), not many teams have the potential for improvement that exists on Montreal's forward lines.

Ages of main forwards entering training camp:

Kovy 33
Koivu 31
Zed 30
Bonk 30
Begin 28
Ryder 26
Ribs 26
Murray24
Higgy 23
Pleks 23
Perez 23
Ferly 23
Kosty 21
Lappy 21
Chippy 20
Lats 19
Downey at 31 the extra

We have room for perhaps one UFA forward if there are no trades. I expect Ferland, Latendresse and either Chipchura or Lapierre to be cut. However........if we sign a UFA forward there's a good chance that once again in the modern era of the Habs not a single player on the opening night roster will be under 23.

All that said; I still think he'll sign a player or two and make at least one trade before training camp.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Trouble is, it'll be the SAME kids. I doubt whether more than one rookie will make the team this coming season.
At least 2 will make the team for sure. Ferland or lapierre on the fourth line and Kostitsyn. Grabovski and/or Chipchura and/or Latendresse maybe.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:42 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
At least 2 will make the team for sure. Ferland or lapierre on the fourth line and Kostitsyn. Grabovski and/or Chipchura and/or Latendresse maybe.

I didn't even list Grabovsky...we have no lack of competition for forward spots if no one else is picked up, and Grabo comes over, which looks positive..

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote