HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The official POSITIVE thread!!

Old
07-03-2006, 07:31 PM
Stiffler

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Stiffler
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
I didn't even list Grabovsky...we have no lack of competition for forward spots if no one else is picked up, and Grabo comes over, which looks positive..
No lack of completion for sure, but my biggest fear is how much pressure will be put on the youngsters to improve our offensive ouput next year? For long stretches of last season, we were second to last in the east in goals for, and I fear not adding an experienced forward to our list would make it very hard on the Perezhogins, Plekanecs and Kostsitsyns.

I took time during the lockout to go see the Bulldogs in Hamilton, Kostsitsyn in my mind is no bust, far from that, he has amazing skills, but he tends to learn slowly. I would rather have an extra forward, a player the caliber of Shanahan, Guerin or Sykora, to score 25-30 goals while our young guns develop. But we really aren't far from top 4-5 in the east.

Stiffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 08:01 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
No lack of completion for sure, but my biggest fear is how much pressure will be put on the youngsters to improve our offensive ouput next year? For long stretches of last season, we were second to last in the east in goals for, and I fear not adding an experienced forward to our list would make it very hard on the Perezhogins, Plekanecs and Kostsitsyns.

I took time during the lockout to go see the Bulldogs in Hamilton, Kostsitsyn in my mind is no bust, far from that, he has amazing skills, but he tends to learn slowly. I would rather have an extra forward, a player the caliber of Shanahan, Guerin or Sykora, to score 25-30 goals while our young guns develop. But we really aren't far from top 4-5 in the east.
Good points. I am not against a Shanahan being signed believe me, but I'm not going to look up to see if the sky is falling if he isn't.

who had career years on the Habs last season?

Not Saku
not Kovy
not Ribs
not Zed
not Bonk

i expect more production from all of those players, as well as Perzhogin and Plekanec.

the only player that arguably had a career season was Bulis, and he's gonzo.

As I showed earlier, the majority of the forwards are still developing, so it's not unreasonable to expect most of them to improve their production.

10 more points from Plekanec, Ryder, Higgins, Koivu, and Ribeiro

10 more goals and 15 more points from Perezhogin, Zednik and a healthy Kovalev

We reach those very attainable goals, this team won't be hurting in the offence department, especially if a Kostitsyn or Lats can come in and add 15-20 goals to the total.

Again - let's not forget this is a positive thread

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 08:33 PM
jcpenny

As Grabovsky been signed yet?

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 08:59 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

no, don't know when Grabo will be signed but I assume it will get done.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Poochie_D

"We're making a statement here to our team and our fans," he said. "Our goal is to win a championship.

- Brian Burke after the Pronger deal.

How can i be postive when my GM has done absolutely nothing to improve my team? I'm honestly bummed out right now. Why won't Bob make a statement?

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 09:29 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D View Post
How can i be postive when my GM has done absolutely nothing to improve my team? I'm honestly bummed out right now. Why won't Bob make a statement?
Why should he? What do you want him to say? "Oh, drat, I failed to sign one guy?" "It's a pity Pronger didn't want to come here"?

The forward crop this year is very thin, particularly at the top end. So much so that after two players the Habs *might* have been genuinely interested in are off the market -- Arnott and Elias -- it's panic time already. That says something about how slim the pickings are.

The Habs' lineup is solid, they only lost Bulis and Sundstrom, they're not looking for D, so they're really just looking for one good scorer to tide them over while the young guns improve; they don't need more role-players, they have guys for every slot except maybe one top-six forward. Elias would have been perfect but he took less money to stay put for longer. Can't be helped. Other than that there's just not that many players of the caliber the Habs are looking for, and few of them are signed yet the pool.

People keep making such a fuss about "upgrading" Ribeiro but they forget that he IS pretty good, and there's just not that many centers in the UFA pool that would be an upgrade on him. Arnott was pretty much it, others are longshots at best.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Netro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D View Post
"We're making a statement here to our team and our fans," he said. "Our goal is to win a championship.

- Brian Burke after the Pronger deal.

Quite simply, the UFA contracts are crazy. $22.5 million for 5 years for a 32 yo Jason Arnott? $20 million for 4 years for Pavel Kubina? In the new NHL, it is about managing your asset AND financial base. These are crazy contracts.

At some point, teams that signed these free agents are going to lose financial flexibility.

I thought TB did great in getting Kuba at $9 mil for 5 years.

While I am upset the Habs have done nothing, given the contracts being handed out, I don't think BG made a mistake in passing on these UFA's.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote