HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Value of next year's UFAs Markov, Souray & Rivet

Old
07-01-2006, 08:33 PM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
Value of next year's UFAs Markov, Souray & Rivet

One of the discouraging parts about today, apart from the Habs not doing anything yet, is that our Top 3 Ds are all UFAs at the end of next season and judging by what has been happening, Markov is worth 4-4.5 (maybe pushing 5), Souray 3.5-4 and Rivet 3-3.5, in other words a lot of dough, so do we have to keep room for this hit kowing the cupboard is bare in NHL ready defensemen???

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Habs514

It looks scary for next year. I hope we can resign them before the season finnishes.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 08:39 PM
SOLR

My best bet: Sourray will be traded(before the deadline) or let go to UFA

Markov signed long term for around 5m per year during the year.
Rivet is the big ?? speculation, depends of the performance.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 08:39 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
If Markov can stay healthy and have a career year he will be damn near impossible to hold on to!
If Souray is looking to be closer to home and he is not having an above average season next year I would not be suprised to seem him dealt near the deadline!
Rivet will most likley die a Hab... he would have it no other way!

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Darz

If I was Gainey I would rip up Markov's existing contract and place a new 4yr, 14M-16M contract on the table this summer. The increase in salary for this upcoming year, and the security of a 4yr deal, I think would be enough to keep him in Montreal, and with the defensive UFA market skyrocketing out of control, we could eliminate one tough negotiation off our list for next summer.

07-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
If I was Gainey I would rip up Markov's existing contract and place a new 4yr, 14M-16M contract on the table this summer. The increase in salary for this upcoming year, and the security of a 4yr deal, I think would be enough to keep him in Montreal, and with the defensive UFA market skyrocketing out of control, we could eliminate one tough negotiation off our list for next summer.

Thats a good idea, i'll bet gainey has been throwing that around in his head today...

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:09 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
that's impossible

ps. I think that Rivet could be as loyal as is Koivu with this team

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50
that's impossible
why????

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2006, 11:16 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
why????
in the new CBA, contract renegotiating are not permitted, so Markov will be paid 2M this year and their is no way that he we can renegociated this year salarie, they can negociated for optional years but it must fit in the current cap

Old
07-02-2006, 12:22 AM
SOLR

But they negotiate next year already. But it will be done in January.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

My guess, and it's only a guess not really a desire, is that only Rivet will stay. We already know that Souray will leave and Markov could be used as the best trade bait in years and the guy is also tough to read, you have no idea if he likes it here or not.....Doesn't seem to blend well but he may be just that kind of person and it has nothing to do with the team.

But still believe Markov could leave at the trade deadline. We will then need a lot of work just to again have an OK defense. But I don't agree with a lot of people, I don't believe we have a great defense. We may have good defensive d-men but when it comes to helping our forwards, to make that great first pass, to be something offensively we're just not there as a group and this will affect us.....And let's pray that Markov is not injured......

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:54 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
No way we're trading Markov...

and IMO, no way he wants to leave. He took like 7 years to get semi-comfortable in the city... I doubt he's really looking elsewhere..

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Whether we can or will dump them this summer is doubtful... but Bonk and Zednik will almost surely be gone next summer. $4.3M savings there.

Plus the existing values of the Markov/Souray/Rivet contracts totals around $6.5M. So we're getting in towards having $11M to spend next year. Could we sign Rivet, Markov, and Souray for a combined $11M per? $5M to Markov and $3M each to Rivet and Souray? Well, it would be cutting it close, but it might be doable.

(This of course must assume that we aren't adding anybody else on a big ticket, and that we'll still have enough breathing room to replace Bonk and Zednik by kids from within... and that the cap doesn't go down! What a comedy it would be to some of these teams playing big on the market if the cap actually goes down!)

It's tight but it might work. If we keep a reserve of $3M or more on the cap this year. Or if the cap goes up again. But the bottom line is it doesn't leave us room to do much this summer, not even a $4-5M expenditure on Arnott. IMHO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Whether we can or will dump them this summer is doubtful... but Bonk and Zednik will almost surely be gone next summer. $4.3M savings there.

Plus the existing values of the Markov/Souray/Rivet contracts totals around $6.5M. So we're getting in towards having $11M to spend next year. Could we sign Rivet, Markov, and Souray for a combined $11M per? $5M to Markov and $3M each to Rivet and Souray? Well, it would be cutting it close, but it might be doable.

(This of course must assume that we aren't adding anybody else on a big ticket, and that we'll still have enough breathing room to replace Bonk and Zednik by kids from within... and that the cap doesn't go down! What a comedy it would be to some of these teams playing big on the market if the cap actually goes down!)

It's tight but it might work. If we keep a reserve of $3M or more on the cap this year. Or if the cap goes up again. But the bottom line is it doesn't leave us room to do much this summer, not even a $4-5M expenditure on Arnott. IMHO.
But what I don't get is people not wanting to use the extra money we have 'cause we will be overpaying the UFA'S. Well I say UFA period, you say overpayment, that's what it is. So why should we care to have that extra money if we don't want to spend it......We do have money to spent as of now, if I'm not mistaken, that was the only thing we heard after Theo's trade, but now we don't want to overpay anybody????

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:26 AM
gars59

Markov is rfa next summer ....

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=821

gars59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:00 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars59 View Post
Markov is rfa next summer ....

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=821
in 2007-08, a player age 28 with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent

okay so let see, Markov turn 28 in December 2006, and next summer, he will have 7 NHL season played,

I let you do the math...

Old
07-02-2006, 01:01 PM
BigTimer*

Markov - Re-sign
Souray - Who knows
Rivet - 100% guarantee that he's gone

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Rivet - 100% guarantee that he's gone
How can you guarantee that River is gone after next year? Seriously.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:07 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn View Post
Do the math. He'll be 33 by the start of the 2007 season. At that time, we'll still have Boullion and Dandenault tied up for another 2 years at a pretty high price for our bottom pairing. And then we have Komisarek who has carte blanche until he's 26. So unless Rivet wants to sign for 1 year or maybe 2 at dirt cheap (because no chance this team is going anywhere with Rivet as a major cog for another 2-3 years) then maybe but as we've learned the past little while... loyalty means nothing in the NHL.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 01:12 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn View Post
Because he's Big timer - he's all knowing...and tougher than Segal to boot!

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote