Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Sutter's Direction

Old
07-02-2006, 12:23 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Sutter's Direction

It is beginning to appear that Sutter's focus is on developing players.

Kiprusoff, Huselius, Lundmark, Phaneuf, Kobasew, Lombardi, the Dores etc. He then supplements them with older, lower priced players.

Even the new additions (Tanguay and Zyuzin) are fairly young and have more upside.

With the crazy salaries these UFAs are demanding, it appears to be the way to go.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Body Checker

Don't count Daryl out yet. There are still a fair amount of forwards left.

Even guys like Rucchin, Bulis, Friesen, Halpern, Grier, etc. would help the Flames lineup out............

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:46 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
i would love halpern on the flames

johnny cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Body Checker

What about Bulis as a center??? He's big and has talent. Could be had for $2 mil - $2.5 mil................playing with Kobasew and Hueslius could see him get 20G 30A

Old
07-02-2006, 03:07 PM
abracanada

I see the Flames as a team on the cusp of some breakouts. Tanguay could be the catalyst for several prospects kicking things up a notch. Huselius has the skills to have a huge upside. The way Lundmark performed when he came in, he was very effective and scored at close to a point per game. Does Kobasew follow up his breakout with an even bigger year? And Lombardi especially, may be influenced by Tanguay. Even if they don't bring in that highly paid saviour at center ice, I am not too worried. We are talking about a team that won its' division, in spite of its poor offensive production.

Sutter has an excellent eye for potential. Now, it is time for these guys to start realizing what they are capable of. It is still fun to speculate and look for the quick fix though.

Old
07-02-2006, 03:28 PM
Lunatik*

i'd like to see Sutter make a pitch for gomez since it looks like the devils could be in cap trouble again... but if not i'd like to see him go after Perrault, Halpern or Rucchin to center the 3rd line and give the flames an addition center who can win key draws... but i also wouldnt be shocked to see JR signing with the flames in the next couple days

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Body Checker

Any way you look at it as of right now we have a Vezina goalie, 6 NHL defensemen and 12 NHL forwards on our depth chart. Up front if we don't add anyone we can still trot out 3 scoring lines. For example:

Tanguay-Langkow-Iginla
Huselius-Lombardi-Kobasew

then how about a 3rd scoring line of Amonte-Lundmark-Nilson??

then a crash line of Ritchie-Yelle-McCarty.

Then a rookie group that would include Nystrom, Prust, Maki, Moss, Taratukhin(?), Trubachev(?), Germyn can battle it out for two reserve spots.

If Sutter makes no more moves and locks Tanguay up to a 2 or 3 year deal I wouldn't be complaining.

Old
07-02-2006, 05:03 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Any way you look at it as of right now we have a Vezina goalie, 6 NHL defensemen and 12 NHL forwards on our depth chart. Up front if we don't add anyone we can still trot out 3 scoring lines. For example:

Tanguay-Langkow-Iginla

Then a rookie group that would include Nystrom, Prust, Maki, Moss, Taratukhin(?), Trubachev(?), Germyn can battle it out for two reserve spots.

If Sutter makes no more moves and locks Tanguay up to a 2 or 3 year deal I wouldn't be complaining.
Except for a backup goalie. That is a great need.

Old
07-02-2006, 06:37 PM
natural420*

i think were set if we get a true number one centre. langkow i think can do the job with iginla and tanguay but just think what could happen if we have, say, gomez as previously mentioned in between them. with the best defence in the league and the best goalie to go with a newly balanced scoring threat, we could battle for the conferance,or maybe even the presidants trophy (i know iam getting ahead of myself but its very possible with some scoring calgary becomes the best team in the league, probable even) and how good we were last year, next year would make that look like nothing. heres to hoping. were one peice away darryl. do what you gotta do!

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 01:58 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post

Tanguay-Langkow-Iginla

I'd rather see Ritchie with a chance to put up some points by playing with Lombardi and Amonte... Ritchie has some great offensive seasons in junior and hasnt had the chance to see if he can produce at this level... and I think Lundmark could also suprise people and land the #2 center spot to start the year... he just seems hungry and ready to do what it takes to succeed in calgary... when he was aquired i remembered hearing repeatedly how weak he was on the puck and how he wasnt physical... then when he suited up in teh flaming C... he wasnt so easy to knock off the puck and was throwing his weight around every chance possible

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote