HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Salo - OK I Give Up

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 04:13 PM
Asiaoil

vCash: 500
Salo - OK I Give Up

Seriously folks - I've never been a Salo basher - but we've obviously got a problem here.

The team pretty much outplays the Leafs in the 1st period and walks off the ice dejected and down by 2. Add the blooper early in the 2rd and that just killed the bench. Don't give me the "oh there were defensive lapses" (yes there were) or "anyone would get beat by that shot" excuses. It seems like a lot of people are happy when Tommy simply manages to stop the easy ones - and he can't even manage that most games now. The guy is not doing his job, earning his pay and his brutal save percentage just took another beating tonight.

This is not the way it's supposed to go folks. Salo HAS to be the steady veteran that bails out the kids when they make their inevitable mistakes - instead he looks like Potvin did in his last season with the Canucks. So I think he's done people and we better start searching for a replacement.

Old
11-08-2003, 04:15 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Oop, n/m.

Faith in players erodes at different paces for different people, which is completely understandable. Good point about Tommy simply not doing his job, that's been my one-liner for quite some time.

Old
11-08-2003, 04:17 PM
Oilers Hockey

I've always been a stanch supporter of Salo, but the more I watch him the more it is really hitting home that he will never take this team anywhere. Any momentum we have during a given game is snuffed out because he manages to let in an ugly goal every game! I don't see why we can't start Conklin for awhile, his stats are way better (1.70SV%?) and so far he hasn't let in a goal from the Laffs. It seems our team is more confident with Consk behind the net and our defense tightens up. Either way, I'm done supporting Salo until he proves to me is ready to play NHL-level hockey.

Old
11-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Lowetide

Well, I think Tommy can still work this out, but the Oilers can't devote any more of this season dedicating themselves to him working it out.

Conklin has looked good tonight, no reason not to start him the next game.

And the game after that.

Old
11-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
I've always been a stanch supporter of Salo, but the more I watch him the more it is really hitting home that he will never take this team anywhere. Any momentum we have during a given game is snuffed out because he manages to let in an ugly goal every game! I don't see why we can't start Conklin for awhile, his stats are way better (1.70SV%?) and so far he hasn't let in a goal from the Laffs. It seems our team is more confident with Consk behind the net and our defense tightens up. Either way, I'm done supporting Salo until he proves to me is ready to play NHL-level hockey.
Yeah I'm all for giving Conks a few games as well on this road trip. However, I don't think Conklin is the type of goalie we need (a solid vet would be better) and I also don't think Conklin is good enough IMO. If Salo is not way better within another 10 games then something has to happen - but what?

Old
11-08-2003, 04:33 PM
gretzky2kurri

I've tried hard not to get on Salo........but this is getting pretty tough.

Yes there has been defensive lapses, but Salo has been below average for too damn long now.

Every time he seems to be crawling back to respectability.....he goes and poops the bed.

Salo never blames himself. It was always a "lucky goal" or something. And I guess you can expect that when your coach protects you like a pitbull all the time publicly.

Not saying MacT needs to bash Salo publicy.......but he always goes out of his way to say, "this isn't Tommys fault".

So now what?

Old
11-08-2003, 04:37 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i'd like to see the oil go on a winning streak with conklin in nets be interesting to see salo's reaction for sure i wouldnt want salo letting in a stinker in the heritage classic

Old
11-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I've tried hard not to get on Salo........but this is getting pretty tough.

So now what?
Well I think most of the old boys have given Salo a lot of slack - but our patience has pretty much worn out.

As for what to do - how about a 3 step plan:

1 - start Conks for a a few games

2 - give Tommy until Christmas to rebound

3 - if Salo is done then take the same route as Vancouver when Potvin melted down - get ourself a young guy who is ready to be a starter and go with him. Here's my list: Emery, Blackburn, Miller, Oullette.

Old
11-08-2003, 04:45 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Well, I think Tommy can still work this out, but the Oilers can't devote any more of this season dedicating themselves to him working it out.

Conklin has looked good tonight, no reason not to start him the next game.

And the game after that.
And maybe even the game after that...........if Conklin can at least prove he's sharp (even in a losing cause) it will be an improvement.

How many times have we heard, "Tommy wasn't expecting that.......or, that caught Salo off guard"?

It's pretty easy to tell EARLY in a hockey game whether Salo is sharp and focussed.

This isn't good.

Old
11-08-2003, 04:55 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri

you can expect that when your coach protects you like a pitbull all the time publicly.

Not saying MacT needs to bash Salo publicy.......but he always goes out of his way to say, "this isn't Tommys fault".

So now what?
MacTavish has to. Why?

1) He needs Salo to regain his form. You can't have 4 million riding the pine all the time so you got to hope he pulls out of his slump. Bashing him would likely make it worse.

2) He is not stupid. Everyone knows Salo bites. I am sure even Salo knows too. But if the Oilers are going to trade him then they can't bash him. It just makes it that much harder.

So what know? Play the back up....and hope Salo puls his act together.

Old
11-08-2003, 05:08 PM
Cujo_31

i say start Conklin the next 3 or 4 games..& see how he does..I really feel Conklin could be the #1 guy for us, he's a pretty decent goalie, with really good puck-handling skills, which will benefit us cuz he can make those long-lead passes to our forwards..give Salo until just after x-mas to rebound & find his game, if he hasn't found his game, start looking to deal him, package him up with M.C. if we have to, & we should be able to get a really good package in return, although there aren't many teams looking for a goalie. i've pretty much given up on Salo, he's been very average at best this season, & thats not good, he's got a terrible save%, he's let in a lot of weak goals, he played the Sundin shot completely wrong, it should've been a routine save for a goalie, & I know, cuz I played goal in ice hockey before & that should be a routine save.

Old
11-08-2003, 05:13 PM
hillbillypriest

How about sending Tommy to the Roadrunners to work things out? I don't think he'd be claimed off waivers....

Old
11-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
I've never been a Salo supporter nor a Salo Hater. Do I think he stacks up against our goalies of the past? NO I don't think so (ok maybe better that ugly Essensa/Stcan'tspellhisnamov) I would give Conks 5 straight games to see what he can do ... if he comes to play add Salo to the comrie deal see if anyone will bite (doubt it, but while we're add it lets add Laraque n save 8M total pleeeease ) and if not I think if this play continues either Salo signs a bargain deal or we let him walk, and play the 50/50 game with someone like Hurme/Conks.

Something like:

Comire, Laraque
for
Stefan, Colburn, Hurme

Salo
for
3rd rounder

Then go Sign Oates! :p

Smyth, Oates, Hemsky
York, Stefan, Dvorak
Moreau, Reasoner, Pisani
Torries, Horcoff, Isbister

SM

Old
11-08-2003, 05:24 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
How about sending Tommy to the Roadrunners to work things out? I don't think he'd be claimed off waivers....

THAT is a very good idea.

Old
11-08-2003, 05:25 PM
momentai

Quote:
Conditioning stint? He does have that sore groin from the Sarno hit in Ottawa. Though I'm not sure how well he'd take it. Would we really be comfortable with a Valley/Conks tandem in net?

Old
11-08-2003, 05:34 PM
barto

I actually don't think sending Salo to Toronto is going to help, as it's a mental thing with Salo more than anything and that would wipe out what little confidence he seems to have left.

Conklin, on the other hand, *appears* to be FULL of confidence, and looked pretty sharp tonight.

I agree - Ty has to start the next game, and if he does well, he stays in. It's not pretty, that's for sure.

And you can look at this situation and say that it's a good thing Lowe didn't jump at earlier deals - by now he might be changing his mind on what to get back in a Comrie deal!

Bart

Old
11-08-2003, 05:34 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Conditioning stint? He does have that sore groin from the Sarno hit in Ottawa. Though I'm not sure how well he'd take it. Would we really be comfortable with a Valley/Conks tandem in net?
Who said anything about calling the send down a conditioning stint. Send him down. See if he clears waivers, if so, see if he can clear his head. If not, see who else is available. There'd be a lot of mad money to play with...

Old
11-08-2003, 05:45 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Who said anything about calling the send down a conditioning stint. Send him down. See if he clears waivers, if so, see if he can clear his head. If not, see who else is available. There'd be a lot of mad money to play with...
Three of the teams interested in Comrie can probably spare a goalie Anaheim(Gerber my first choice and Bryzgalov is ready to be a back-up now),San Jose(Toskala who I prefer or Kiprusoff), and Atlanta(Nurminen & Hurme). Out of all those goalies I would say Nurminen and Gerber are capable starters everyone else are just decently good back-ups at the moment. Gerber is the perfect guy to target though only makes $500,000 so we can try to get Salo to find his game again and get a good goalie who does not break the bank.

Old
11-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Digger12

Quote:
That would be an interesting idea. I doubt Lowe would do it though, imagine if Salo WAS taken by someone...despite his poor play, he's still an asset that you don't want to lose for nothing.

One thing I've liked so far in this early part of the season is that there has been some accountability for poor play. Laraque, Isbister, Chimera and even Hemsky have been healthy scratches...and Brewer was close to being one.

Isn't it time for Salo to fall under the same rules? That save percentage isn't getting much better. I'm not saying trade him (not like there's a market anyway), but he should sit for a couple of games to drive the point home that status quo isn't going to be good enough.

I just wish I didn't get the feeling from him that he's in denial.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Oi'll say!

I agree

It's hard for me to say this, but I have lost faith in Tommy Salo as a #1 goalie here. I'd like to see Ty get a chance to take over the reins for good, ie - give him 8 of the next ten starts and if he's not up to snuff then call it a goaltending crisis.

I think part of the problem is that Tommy has had unrealistic expectations heaped on his shoulders by too many fans, but by the same token he has to be able to handle that pressure to be a #1 in this league and maybe he just can't.

I really like Tommy and I hope he can turn his career around, but the Oilers have enough problems right now with the MC situation, they can't have their goalie adding to the problems. That's the one spot that the Oilers haven't skimped out on money-wise.

There's not much Lowe can do with him right now except maybe give him a shot to have some quality starts in a backup role, he can't trade him away with that big contract. I think the waiver option is a bit too harsh, I know that I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger if I was Lowe.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:08 PM
gretzky2kurri

[QUOTE=Digger12]
One thing I've liked so far in this early part of the season is that there has been some accountability for poor play. Laraque, Isbister, Chimera and even Hemsky have been healthy scratches...and Brewer was close to being one.QUOTE]

I feel finally benching BG was a HUGE milestone for the Oilers. He's always had a "free pass" while other borderline players get bounced around during his seasons of mediocrity.

BG should have sat for about 10 games last year.

Tommy in denial? Naaaaw never. Truth is I've never EVER heard Salo point the finger at himself. Not saying he points at his team either.

But it always a "lucky goal" or "bad bounce" with Tommy veiws.

Yeah Digger......denial doesn't shock me.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:10 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
That would be an interesting idea. I doubt Lowe would do it though, imagine if Salo WAS taken by someone...despite his poor play, he's still an asset that you don't want to lose for nothing.

One thing I've liked so far in this early part of the season is that there has been some accountability for poor play. Laraque, Isbister, Chimera and even Hemsky have been healthy scratches...and Brewer was close to being one.

Isn't it time for Salo to fall under the same rules? That save percentage isn't getting much better. I'm not saying trade him (not like there's a market anyway), but he should sit for a couple of games to drive the point home that status quo isn't going to be good enough.

I feel finally benching BG was a HUGE milestone for the Oilers. He's always had a "free pass" while other borderline players get bounced around during his seasons of mediocrity.

BG should have sat for about 10 games last year.

Tommy in denial? Naaaaw never. Truth is I've never EVER heard Salo point the finger at himself. Not saying he points at his team either.

But it always a "lucky goal" or "bad bounce" with Tommy veiws.

Yeah Digger......denial doesn't shock me.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:11 PM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12

Like Asiaoil, I'm a long time (quiet) Tommy defender that has mostly been annoyed by the vanguard that has been saying for some months (years maybe for Matts at Oilfans) who has been driven to finally saying uncle and admitting that there's a problem here.

I was mostly joking about the minors suggestion, because I don't think there's a chance in hell the Oilers would actually consider the idea. But really, I'm kind of at the point of indifference either way. If he goes down and can work things out, great. He's doing it in a venue that isn't doing any damage to the team. In contrast, the coaches attempts to help him work it out on the Oiler's roster so far has cost the team some wins and looks to be on the verge of a serious morale sapper. I he gets claimed, not necessarily the end of the world either. He's clearly overpaid for his ability right now. I frankly don't think there's a team out there that would chance him at the moment. If they did, though, maybe not such a loss. If he miraculously became the Salo we depended on the last few years, we can't afford to re-sign him. If he doesn't, we can't afford to re-sign him, and should be moving on.

(Oy vay...how can I be saying these things...)

Old
11-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
If Salo has a sore groin, they should put Salo on IR and recall Big Valley.

11-08-2003, 06:40 PM
dukeforrest

Send a message via Yahoo to dukeforrest
I have never been to the ACC before and I will probably never go back (hate knowing that I am supporting the Leafs in any way.) Anyways, from my point of view tonight, the Oilers completely dominated the Leafs and still lost. The Leafs had nothing going on offense yet still managed to score three freaking goals on Salo! Sundin's goal was an o.k. shot, but Salo's positioning was terrible (BTW, I was very high up, so I couldn't see the ice that well.) And I still can't figure out how the heck the third goal went in. The shot looked very weak and the replays on the scoreboard didn't really show where the puck went in.

Anyways, I have always thought Salo was just in a funk, contrary to what the hardcore Salo-bashers thought, but I am going to have to admit I was wrong. His decision making has become atrocious and is costing the Oilers points, poor defense or not.

Closed Thread