HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Salo - OK I Give Up

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 06:45 PM
barto

vCash: 500
The third goal was deflected by what's-his-name about 10 feet out in front. Brewer was in the area, too, and took a swipe at it after the deflection but missed - maybe he distracted Tommy a little more, but it looked like such a harmless play...!!

Bart

Old
11-08-2003, 06:52 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
The third goal was deflected by what's-his-name about 10 feet out in front. Brewer was in the area, too, and took a swipe at it after the deflection but missed - maybe he distracted Tommy a little more, but it looked like such a harmless play...!!

Bart

i missed the 3rd goal...but Sundin's backhander was definitely stoppable if he played it right, which he didn't, and even tho he didn't play it right, i still felt he could've made the save, but he didn't. the 2nd goal by AlMo, hard to say, oilers were 2 man down & i didn't like the oiler positioning on that play, there were 3 in front of the net, cant remember whom it was, but one definitely should've been in the passing lane to AlMo, to take away that chance, but Salo *could've* stopped it, if he came across the crease right and gave AlMo no room to put it in, which was a pretty bad angle for mogilny anyhow, but still Salo could've prevented it from going in, but didnt.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
And maybe even the game after that...........if Conklin can at least prove he's sharp (even in a losing cause) it will be an improvement.

How many times have we heard, "Tommy wasn't expecting that.......or, that caught Salo off guard"?

It's pretty easy to tell EARLY in a hockey game whether Salo is sharp and focussed.

This isn't good.

I have to say, I'm glad finally some of you guys are realizing this guy, flat out, is a terrible, terrible goaltender right now, and there's no signs to say that'll change. How long did the Canes say that Irbe will rebound until they realized he won't?

Salo can't be moved, so there's no option to waive or move him. However, keep him around as a backup to Conklin for now.

The Oilers skaters are actually playing pretty well I think. Salo is just giving the game to the other team.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:51 PM
Oilers Hockey

Quote:
this guy, flat out, is a terrible, terrible goaltender right now, and there's no signs to say that'll change.
I'm done defending Salo, as his stats are the worst in the league, but there is nothing to justify your ridiculousness. Reguardless of how hes doing right NOW (I believe he will get better) there is nothing to suggest he will play stagnant like this for the rest of his career. It's just Les Miserable talking out of his ass....again!

Old
11-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
I'm done defending Salo, as his stats are the worst in the league, but there is nothing to justify your ridiculousness. Reguardless of how hes doing right NOW (I believe he will get better) there is nothing to suggest he will play stagnant like this for the rest of his career. It's just Les Miserable talking out of his ass....again!
How did saying 'he's a terrible goaltender right now' suggest that it'll stagnate throughout his career? Take a pill, hemskyfan. I'm not out to get you.

Old
11-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
Like Asiaoil, I'm a long time (quiet) Tommy defender that has mostly been annoyed by the vanguard that has been saying for some months (years maybe for Matts at Oilfans) who has been driven to finally saying uncle and admitting that there's a problem here..................... If he miraculously became the Salo we depended on the last few years, we can't afford to re-sign him. If he doesn't, we can't afford to re-sign him, and should be moving on.
Yeah it's a shame that the problem had to crop up now and Tommy couldn't give us one last 20 game stretch where he is ice. But looking at his technique and demeanor - the guy's just completely lost. Sometimes that happens with goalies - they lose their form and never get it back.

You are also right about the fact that he's gone at the end of the year no matter how well he plays from here on. Even if he rebounds he's not orth risking all that money on next year. You obviously run with Conklin for a few games now but Tommy gets one more chance IMO. If he falters again then I would try putting him on waivers. Given that he's gone at the end of the year - there's no reason not to try save the cash. Hey if it was good enough for Cujo - why not Salo?

I was just hoping Tommy would play well enough so that we could actually get something for him at the trade deadline. His salary would be almost gone at that point and his team options could have been appealing to a richer squad like St Louis if he was playing well. Looks like that's out the window

Old
11-08-2003, 09:15 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Did anyone else notice how many time the camera panned over to Salo sitting on the bench during stoppages in plays?

Seeing Salo on the bench with that look of apathy is probably what upsets me the most. A good chunk of the time he was even half-smiling. His performance didn't seem to bother him at all.

I realize that he's always been an unemotional guy, but at least give us (the fans) so inkling of emotion that you're disgusted with your play and that failure isn't to be tolerated.

I think that all of the "kid glove" treatment has spoiled him...I hate to say it, but it looks like Salo doesn't care whether he wins or loses...

I know it's an absolutely horrible thing to say, but IMO, the signs are there.

Old
11-08-2003, 09:33 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
Did anyone else notice how many time the camera panned over to Salo sitting on the bench during stoppages in plays?

Seeing Salo on the bench with that look of apathy is probably what upsets me the most. A good chunk of the time he was even half-smiling. His performance didn't seem to bother him at all.

I realize that he's always been an unemotional guy, but at least give us (the fans) so inkling of emotion that you're disgusted with your play and that failure isn't to be tolerated.

I think that all of the "kid glove" treatment has spoiled him...I hate to say it, but it looks like Salo doesn't care whether he wins or loses...

I know it's an absolutely horrible thing to say, but IMO, the signs are there.
That may be a bit extreme, but there sure have been alot of games lately that he doesn't seem to well prepared for.

"That one fooled Salo"
"That one caught Tommy off guard"
"Tommy wasn't ready for that one"
"There's one Salo would want back"
"A real strange goal on Tommy"

These are things I'm hearing far too often lately.

Old
11-08-2003, 09:46 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
"That one fooled Salo"
"That one caught Tommy off guard"
"Tommy wasn't ready for that one"
"There's one Salo would want back"
"A real strange goal on Tommy"
Sounds like the highlight reel of the St. Louis or Colorado games

Old
11-08-2003, 10:29 PM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

I think its ALL mental for Salo...I don't think its his skill level or his technique. No one could suck this badly in a short period of time (well, unless you're Irbe). Call up the inferior Valiquette and play him for a few games and I bet his play won't be anywhere as bad as Salo's. Sending him down would probably damage his confidence even more...I wish I knew how to solve Salo's problem, but at least MacT should stop starting him so much and allow him to clear his head.

That said, I'm pretty impressed with Conklin and I think we should start giving him more starts. I'm particularly impressed at how good he is at controlling rebounds. I think with some luck he should at least be a very good backup in this league.

Old
11-09-2003, 08:19 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Sounds like the highlight reel of the St. Louis or Colorado games
And Detroit.

A lot of the goals he let in were a bit flukey, but a solid butterfly goalie would just be in position to make those saves.

The saves that other goalies make look easy are finding their way in consistantly.

Old
11-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Kerplunk

vCash:
I agree with the idea of letting Salo sit for now and allowing Conklin handle the duties for a while. Honestly, Conklin can't play any worse than Salo, so it's not a big risk IMO. So far Conklin has looked much better in the basic fundamentals, which should at the very least prevent a repeat of the silly goals Salo has allowed this year. Frankly Salo looks lost right now, and the Oilers can't afford to fall too far behind waiting for him to regain a respectable form. Let Conklin play until he proves he can't be a starter, or better yet plays himself into the starting role at which point who cares about Salo?

Old
11-09-2003, 11:26 AM
capebretonoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk
I agree with the idea of letting Salo sit for now and allowing Conklin handle the duties for a while. Honestly, Conklin can't play any worse than Salo, so it's not a big risk IMO. So far Conklin has looked much better in the basic fundamentals, which should at the very least prevent a repeat of the silly goals Salo has allowed this year. Frankly Salo looks lost right now, and the Oilers can't afford to fall too far behind waiting for him to regain a respectable form. Let Conklin play until he proves he can't be a starter, or better yet plays himself into the starting role at which point who cares about Salo?
I agree with what you are saying-- you could hear the collective sigh of relief when Salo was pulled. The second goal was the dmans fault-- I
believe it was Smith who had a chance to clear the zone but did a halfhearted clearing attempt that went straight to a leaf player..
Those end of period goals are backbreakers ..

Old
11-09-2003, 11:41 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

the time is now to let conklin play a lot more games, like I reiterate what a lot of you guys have stated, he can't do much worse and the teams seems to play better in front of him.

Old
11-09-2003, 03:56 PM
HOZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest
Like Asiaoil, I'm a long time (quiet) Tommy defender that has mostly been annoyed by the vanguard that has been saying for some months (years maybe for Matts at Oilfans) who has been driven to finally saying uncle and admitting that there's a problem here.
That criticism was/is way over the top. Every loss and every goal against is/was so minutely analysed to the point far beyond reasonable. There is no possible way of taking that criticism seriously or consider it to be, in any way, other than ludicrous.

Closed Thread