HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Are we waiting for next summer?

Old
07-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

vCash: 500
Are we waiting for next summer?

I think that Gainey had a list of around 4 players that he was interested in:

Elias
Arnott
Samsonov
Shanaham

Two of them are still available so we will have to see in the next few hours...but if we don't sign anyone, do you think it would be possible that Gainey is waiting for next summer?

When we think about it, maybe we are not really ready. And maybe Arnott isn't what we really need...

Koivu and Kovalev, our two main foward, will be with us for the next 3 years. Higgins and Plakanec proved that they are NHLer and they will only get better this season. Perezhogin shows flashes of brillance so this year, we will see if he can be on our top 2 line. Ryder is a consistent 30 goal scorer and we will see if he can be a more complete player and finaly, we will see if Ribeiro can play in Montreal or not.

So maybe Gainey will wants to see who fits in the team and next year, with Bonk and Zednik leaving for sure(4.3M for our cap room), he will fill the holes with UFA. I think that we are pretty close from the contender status, but a Arnott wouldn't help us that much...

I think it would be a good idea to keep some cap space for next year and resign our UFA defenceman and upgrade one if we need to...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 07:45 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post

Elias
Arnott
Samsonov
Shanaham

Two of them are still available so we will have to see in the next few hours...but if we don't sign anyone, do you think it would be possible that Gainey is waiting for next summer?

When we think about it, maybe we are not really ready. And maybe Arnott isn't what we really need...

Koivu and Kovalev, our two main foward, will be with us for the next 3 years. Higgins and Plakanec proved that they are NHLer and they will only get better this season. Perezhogin shows flashes of brillance so this year, we will see if he can be on our top 2 line. Ryder is a consistent 30 goal scorer and we will see if he can be a more complete player and finaly, we will see if Ribeiro can play in Montreal or not.

So maybe Gainey will wants to see who fits in the team and next year, with Bonk and Zednik leaving for sure(4.3M for our cap room), he will fill the holes with UFA. I think that we are pretty close from the contender status, but a Arnott wouldn't help us that much...

I think it would be a good idea to keep some cap space for next year and resign our UFA defenceman and upgrade one if we need to...
No...the rule is no long term planning...results (no matter how ludicrous they are) must appear NOW

Old
07-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Ghost of Saku

I think Ribs already had his chance to prove himself

Ghost of Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_sanch View Post
I think Ribs already had his chance to prove himself
I agree, but on the other hand, we saw two Ribeiro last year, and that's why if we can't upgrade this summer, I would let him a LAST chance...

Old
07-02-2006, 07:52 PM
davey999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post

Elias
Arnott
Samsonov
Shanaham

We constantly have cap space. It's only useful if you use it.

davey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:18 PM
kostitsyn1489

Shanny could be a good choice. He has a great leader and he can help our young player. He's a team player and he's still good. He wanna come here so, Why not?

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:20 PM
HABitual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz View Post
No...the rule is no long term planning...results (no matter how ludicrous they are) must appear NOW
Bob, do you actually think this team will win the Stanley Cup next season? If you do then you need to be slapped.

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey999 View Post
We constantly have cap space. It's only useful if you use it.
With Markov, Rivet and Souray all needing new contracts next year, I think having cap space will end up being very useful.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:26 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual View Post
Bob, do you actually think this team will win the Stanley Cup next season? If you do then you need to be slapped.
Ummm, why are you calling me Bob?

Old
07-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual View Post
If the Canes were able to win the cup, any team can do it...