HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Ryan Munce have an NHL future?

Old
07-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Oiluvit

vCash: 500
Does Ryan Munce have an NHL future?

What are his abilities? Starter or backup? Will he get a chance with LA or will it have to be elsewhere? Is he on track?

Oiluvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 07:42 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
He has to show / continue to show consistency before he makes it to the NHL. There is nothing worse than not knowing what you are going to get out of your goalender from night to night.

07-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Josh Deitell

Could be a backup down the line. Was a real workhorse for Bakersfield, most minutes and saves in the leagues.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:37 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

my opinion, no. He never impressed me and he still doesn't. I could be wrong, but just my observation. I see him peaking as an AHL starter, if that.

Never seen some of our other goalie prospects, but this definatley is an idea of how weak our goalie prospects are. I guess this is also why i'm so skeptical about Bernier as well, our scouts can never seen to pick out good goaltenders in drafts. Munce was supposed to be very high on the scouts list and I don't see it paying off at all. Only Huet was the one who seemed to be money.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Josh Deitell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
my opinion, no. He never impressed me and he still doesn't. I could be wrong, but just my observation. I see him peaking as an AHL starter, if that.

Never seen some of our other goalie prospects, but this definatley is an idea of how weak our goalie prospects are. I guess this is also why i'm so skeptical about Bernier as well, our scouts can never seen to pick out good goaltenders in drafts. Munce was supposed to be very high on the scouts list and I don't see it paying off at all. Only Huet was the one who seemed to be money.
Munce isn't even close to our top goalie prospect...

Quick, Zaba, Fukufuji, Taylor, Bernier, and Zatkoff are all better IMO.

Old
07-03-2006, 06:44 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

I saw Taylor, looked good and definatley better then Munce IMO, but I don't think he has any chance at making the NHL. Fukufuji seemed to be getting rave reviews, but then that has died down to a whisper. I saw him, don't think he has a shot at being anymore then an AHL goaltender. The rest I havent' seen, but again, seeing the track record doesn't exactly make me too excited about Quick or the rest.

Munce was one of hte top 2 goaltenders on the scout's list in 2003 if i could remember correctly. That's how highly our scouts thought of him. I thought he was pretty pathetic the firfst time I saw him, thats turning out to be more accurate then the scouts so far. Hopefully he proves me wrong...

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:47 PM
CaptBrannigan

From what I've heard and seen from the ECHL, I'd say no. He doesn't seem to have the desire to play hard every day. He was even benched for a few of the playoff games this year and I haven't heard of an injury having to do with it.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 09:12 PM
suddenimpact

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaelWho View Post
Munce isn't even close to our top goalie prospect...

Quick, Zaba, Fukufuji, Taylor, Bernier, and Zatkoff are all better IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
I saw Taylor, looked good and definatley better then Munce IMO, but I don't think he has any chance at making the NHL. Fukufuji seemed to be getting rave reviews, but then that has died down to a whisper. I saw him, don't think he has a shot at being anymore then an AHL goaltender. The rest I havent' seen, but again, seeing the track record doesn't exactly make me too excited about Quick or the rest.

Munce was one of hte top 2 goaltenders on the scout's list in 2003 if i could remember correctly. That's how highly our scouts thought of him. I thought he was pretty pathetic the firfst time I saw him, thats turning out to be more accurate then the scouts so far. Hopefully he proves me wrong...
Munce has always been a very underrated goaltender but his consistent stats and mental strength make him as strong a candidate to become a #1 NHL goaltender as any other prospect in our system. Munce plays a very effortless and positional game which makes people think he is not good. Take a look at his credentials:
-Gold Medal U18 Championships 2003;
-Top Rookie Goaltender OHL 2003;
-OHL Rookie All-Star Team 2003;
-CHL Rookie All-Star Team 2003;
-Backstopped Sarnia Sting to first Division title in franchise history 2004;
-Set 12 Bakersfield (ECHL) goaltending records 2006;
-Tied an ECHL league record for most saves in one game (63)
-ECHL 2005/06: 1st in minutes played; 1st in # of saves; 1st in shootout wins; 2nd in shootout save %; 2nd in overtime wins; 5th in # of wins (30)
-not to mention his consistent save percentage year after year (.916, .914, .909, .919) while facing amongst the highest number of shots per game of any goalie in the league.
And just because everyone has an opinion based on a brief training camp practice or rookie game they may have seen, here are the year end rankings from Goalies World magazine for all our goalie prospects in their respective leagues:

Name Rank Score GPI Shots/Gm GAA Sv %

Munce #1 105.5 55 34.4 2.78 0.919
Bernier #3 103.8 54 29.4 2.70 0.908
Zatkoff #3 102.5 20 28.1 2.02 0.928
Zaba #5 101.4 32 27.5 2.52 0.908
Taylor #5 104.8 57 34.9 3.11 0.911
Quick #7 101.8 16 37.4 2.98 0.920
Fukufuji #11 102.7 29 35.2 2.91 0.917
Brust #13 102.8 35 32.3 2.71 0.916

Maybe one day soon Munce will get the credit he deserves from his Kings fans.

suddenimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddenimpact View Post
and mental strength

Funny. I wonder why thats been put into such a question this year? We keep geting all these reports from the ECHL about how Munce seemed to have other things on his mind then hockey...

While on the ice.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Josh Deitell

Quote:
Originally Posted by suddenimpact View Post
Maybe one day soon Munce will get the credit he deserves from his Kings fans.
I said there were plenty of prospects ahead of him, I never said he wasn't a good prospect.

Like I said, I could see backup down the line, but I don't really see a #1 job in his future.