HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pathetic Penguins

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Pathetic Penguins

Think they'll be able to fill a new arena with the team they have?

And here is the box-score of today's game for your enjoyment.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2003110820

Old
11-08-2003, 06:18 PM
BruinFan42

Make fun of them all they want, but they play harder and give more effort than a lot of teams in the league.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:20 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42
Make fun of them all they want, but they play harder and give more effort than a lot of teams in the league.
Try as they may, but it takes a bit of talent to win hockey.
Icing an AHL team on the ice and disguising some minor league players as NHL skaters isn't going to get them far. How do they plan on winning fans over or attracting a new breed of fans with this dreadful team.
How do they expect to fill a new hockey arena? Mario isn't going to play forever.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:25 PM
guinness
those were the days

No, that's just what happens when they don't play Fleury, play him and they're pretty decent. Then again getting outshot 42-15 isn't good either, but the PK did alright.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:26 PM
BruinFan42

I think upper managment has made it clear that they're in survival mode, and frankly, there dying, slow and painfully.

Mario needs to get a new arena built, play one more season and hopefully by then players like Fluery, Fata, Koltsov, Orpik and Beech will have matured and they can move from there...

Old
11-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42
Not tonight.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

just think Ovechkin...just think Ovechkin...just think Ovechkin...

Old
11-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Try as they may, but it takes a bit of talent to win hockey.
Icing an AHL team on the ice and disguising some minor league players as NHL skaters isn't going to get them far. How do they plan on winning fans over or attracting a new breed of fans with this dreadful team.
How do they expect to fill a new hockey arena? Mario isn't going to play forever.
Agreed. A very difficult time for their fans; they deserve better.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Pittsburgh has good prospects, but they need a few years to develop. Until then I don't know if they can stay in Pittsburgh, considering they are no closer to a new arena.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin
Montreal fans are just thinking Ovechkin too :p

Old
11-08-2003, 06:36 PM
Godzilla

vCash:
Montreal and Pitt will have a hard time blowing more than Was...

Old
11-08-2003, 06:37 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal(M)eth
When you play in a league that has no TV revenue, and has to beg the networks here in the States to even put hockey on...teams like the Penguins have to sell off their talented players.

That is why their talent level has dropped significantly.

Guess you just started following hockey this season, right?

Sadly the answer to that question is probably no...

Oh yeah, that is great reason to put together the least talented team on ice, because of TV revenue.
You think the Penguins are the only franchise suffering from bad TV revenue? Take a look at the Flames or Oilers, and those teams aren't as bad as the Penguins. Hell even the Thrashers and Predators. They all don't attract much revenue, so why aren't they as crappy as the Pens?

That is the lamest excuse I have heard as to why the Pens should ice this AHL squad. It is obvious to me they are trying to survive, but they also aren't going to bring much revenue with the sad sap squad.

The Penguins are a team that aren't playing to be competitive, they are just trying to survive, and I find that to be pathetic. But hey Pens fans, enjoy them while you can because I don't see them lasting in the Steel City.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:37 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Oh bite me Stardust, if you knew the financial ruins this team was in you wouldn't be saying the same things.

Our old owners killed this team. Death to Baldwin and Marino...

Old
11-08-2003, 06:38 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
The effort, except for a few people, was non-existent tonight.

A lot of credit does need to go to Tampa Bay though. They are a great team.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:00 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Our old owners killed this team. Death to Baldwin and Marino...
Your current owner is also killing this team.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:08 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal(M)eth
The teams you mentioned didn't just come out of bankruptcy as the Pens did. Baldwin sold his soul to the devil (SMG) to finance his purchase of the Penguins.

He gave up parking, concessions, etc.

When the city approached him about a new arena under plan B, the project which built the two new stadiums, he declined, and accepted $10 million to renovate the new arena.

Learn the circumstances before you make any comments. Just makes you look foolish and uneducated.

They have 4 rookies playing on their team...at what point would you like the Pens to play their youth?

They are trying to survive because they are in a poorly run league. The NHL is the laughingstock of the professional sports world. They beg the networks to show their games...that, I find pathetic.

I also find you taking the time to make your post pathetic.

If the Pens move, all of the aforementioned teams will be moving/folding right along with them.
Boohoo, cry me a river. The Sabres and Sens went through bankruptcy as well and they are both on better ground than the Penguins.
The Penguins are pathetic because of mismanagement and they are a poorly run organization.
They aren't the only team suffering from financial losses. It takes a man to admit they're wrong (which in this case you are with your pathetic attempt to convince me otherwise).

But hey if it makes you feel better to attack me go ahead, I feel sorry for you Penguins fans, you guys deserve better. But atleast they have convinced one poor sad sack soul that this is their only way to survive in the NHL.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I may be alone in this sentiment, but some of the blame has to be handed to the GM as well. Wheres the defense??? Where are the quality players??? They are non-existent. Somone needs to get on this guy to deal a few prospects to pick up a few reliable, but cheap d-men. Frankly, he needs to do something to help this team out. I'm not tryign to knock the Penguins team, but they just dont have enough skill out there to win very many games. Heck they could have had Therin for only 1.2 mil for free. I know they are tight finacially, but at some point you have to put a team that is semi-competitive out on the ice. The goalies are facing way to many shots, and the scoring chances the Pens give up are some of the best in the league. Maybe, I'm off-base in my thoughts, but the trading away of several superstars and still icing a terrible team makes absolutely no sense to me........finicial issues included.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:14 PM
Blatny Spears

Quote:
Unfortunately, the team that finishes last only has a 48% chance of getting the first pick overall.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:21 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatny Spears
Unfortunately, the team that finishes last only has a 48% chance of getting the first pick overall.
While Florida has the other 52%

I know, I know...if we finish worst and lose out something is gonna be hurt...

Old
11-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Once again, the Pens are not an AHL team. The Pens have a good AHL team. They have AHL talent in the ECHL. The players who made the Pens roster are better than the players who are on the AHL Pens, therefore making the Penguins an NHL team.

Why do people feel the need to bash the Pens?? We know they're not a good team. We're not naive. So ya know what? All I got for you is this.

:moon: :moon: :moon:

Oveckhin 2004!!!

Old
11-08-2003, 08:01 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I may be alone in this sentiment, but some of the blame has to be handed to the GM as well. Wheres the defense??? Where are the quality players??? They are non-existent. Somone needs to get on this guy to deal a few prospects to pick up a few reliable, but cheap d-men. Frankly, he needs to do something to help this team out. I'm not tryign to knock the Penguins team, but they just dont have enough skill out there to win very many games. Heck they could have had Therin for only 1.2 mil for free. I know they are tight finacially, but at some point you have to put a team that is semi-competitive out on the ice. The goalies are facing way to many shots, and the scoring chances the Pens give up are some of the best in the league. Maybe, I'm off-base in my thoughts, but the trading away of several superstars and still icing a terrible team makes absolutely no sense to me........finicial issues included.
But pittsburgh pays their players with revenue, which they aren't getting due to poor attendance. So even if they sign Therien, how are they supposed to pay him? This is how the Pens went bankrupt in the first place.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66
But pittsburgh pays their players with revenue, which they aren't getting due to poor attendance. So even if they sign Therien, how are they supposed to pay him? This is how the Pens went bankrupt in the first place.
How are you supposed to get fans to come when you are getting hammered in your own zone, even when you are playing your best game? 1.2 mil is not much for a team to shell out. Especially, if it significantly improves your team, which I think it would.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:31 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
How are you supposed to get fans to come when you are getting hammered in your own zone, even when you are playing your best game? 1.2 mil is not much for a team to shell out. Especially, if it significantly improves your team, which I think it would.
Even if they add Therien, he's not going to improve this team by that much if other players continue to make mistakes. All they are trying to due is to make it through this year and see what the new CBA will bring, and hopefully start construction on a new arena.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario66
Even if they add Therien, he's not going to improve this team by that much if other players continue to make mistakes. All they are trying to due is to make it through this year and see what the new CBA will bring, and hopefully start construction on a new arena.
Thats a terrible plan IMO, of course, I'm not sure they have much choice right now

Old
11-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Hockeyfan02

Good payback from the Lightning after all the blowouts the Pens used to give em a few years back. Lightning looked like the Pens do now back in the 90s outside of the playoff year. Their situation was just as bleak but it will turn around. Fleury is a good stepping stone to build on that future. They had plenty of years where they had the talent of Mario, Jagr, Kovalev, Nedved, Lang, Straka, etc, now theyre going through a period where they have little talent. Post cba if theres a salary cap will be better for the Pens.

Closed Thread