HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

3 Straight Game Winning Goals for Keith Tkachuk

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
3 Straight Game Winning Goals for Keith Tkachuk

What a great week he's having. Watching him pass up the empty net to try and feed Demitra for a goal was awesome. Demitra tried to return the favor a few moments later and in the end no one scored an extra goal, but you gotta like seeing Keith leading his team night after night. Is he playing with the captains C right now? I didn't even notice it tonight.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
What a great week he's having. Watching him pass up the empty net to try and feed Demitra for a goal was awesome. Demitra tried to return the favor a few moments later and in the end no one scored an extra goal, but you gotta like seeing Keith leading his team night after night. Is he playing with the captains C right now? I didn't even notice it tonight.
I would imagine Pronger is.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:39 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
Walt is playing well, but If I wre the Blues I would just use three alternate captains.

Old
11-09-2003, 04:56 AM
degroat*

Pronger doesn't want a letter at all at this point so he can concentrate on getting his game in order. Last night, there were three alternates and they were Tkachuk, Drake, and Finley. Normally, it would be Weight, Mellanby, and Tkachuk.

Basically.. the order is this:

MacInnis
Weight
Mellanby
Tkachuk
Drake
Finley

Old
11-09-2003, 08:40 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

He could score 20 GWG... it wouldn't make him any less overpaid.

Old
11-09-2003, 08:57 AM
degroat*

If you honestly believe that him scoring 20 game winning goals wouldn't justify his paycheck then I'd suggest you refrain from posting your opinion as they would add nothing to this message board.

Old
11-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

The guy makes roughly $11M a year (correct?). End of story right there.

It's not a slam on his abilities, but his contract. For this league, it's unacceptable IMO. This isn't the NBA or MLB. The financial realities are different, wouldn't you say?

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it but someone else does. I'm saying until things get fixed, no one deserves that kind of money in this league.

Old
11-09-2003, 09:03 AM
Nick Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
The guy makes $11M a year. End of story. For this league, that is not debateable. This isn't the NBA or MLB. The financial realities are different, wouldn't you say?

IIRC, he only made 11 in the first year of his contract. It was structured to be something like 11, 10, 9, 9, and 5 MM over 5 years.

Old
11-09-2003, 09:06 AM
degroat*

No, that his not correct. This season he makes $10M and his contract averages out to $9M per season.

I'm well aware that it is his sort of contract that is killing the league.

Old
11-09-2003, 09:21 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Odd.

That's the only big contract I'm aware of that pays more in the first year than in the 2nd and 3rd [and so on..]. Typically the amount paid goes up each year, even if only by half a million or so. Sorry for that part of the mixup. I figured if he made 11 initially, he would make at least that much this year....

Either way, once you get much beyond about $7M a year... it's hard to justify any player, no matter how good they are. That said, I hope he earns his pay and plays well this year. I'd like to see St. Louis in the WC Final, especially if they are matched up against Colorado or Vancouver. That would be excellent.

Old
11-09-2003, 09:23 AM
degroat*

The contracts of Tkachuk, Weight, and MacInnis were all frontloaded. Pleau did that on purpose to better prepare the team for the 'new' NHL.

Old
11-09-2003, 09:25 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Interesting approach. How much of those numbers are incentive-laden vs. guaranteed salary?

Old
11-09-2003, 09:34 AM
degroat*

They're all guaranteed, except the last year on Tkachuk's contract is a team option that'll almost certainly be picked up since it's for $5M.

Old
11-09-2003, 11:01 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
The guy makes roughly $11M a year (correct?). End of story right there.

It's not a slam on his abilities, but his contract. For this league, it's unacceptable IMO. This isn't the NBA or MLB. The financial realities are different, wouldn't you say?

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it but someone else does. I'm saying until things get fixed, no one deserves that kind of money in this league.
I can agree with your last statement, but the money he makes is a result of the finacial structure of the league. As long as you arent taking a shot at his abilities we are on the same page. A good portion of the Name players in this league are overpaid in that context.

Old
11-09-2003, 11:10 AM
thedjpd

Quote:

That's the only big contract I'm aware of that pays more in the first year than in the 2nd and 3rd [and so on..]. Typically the amount paid goes up each year, even if only by half a million or so. Sorry for that part of the mixup. I figured if he made 11 initially, he would make at least that much this year....

It shouldn't be. Roenick's contract is the same way, only it started at $8.5 million and will work its way down to $6.5 million.

Closed Thread