HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Powerplay issues

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 07:40 PM
The n00b King *

vCash: 500
Powerplay issues

So what I have to say is pertaining to tonight's game vs. buffalo. The habs had something like 15 minutes of PP, and they scored only one goal. Now to me, that makes no sense. i had mentioned previously that in the 01-02 season, we had less talent, but yet were (i believe) 5th in the NHL in PP. This year, the team is much better, but yet, fails utterly and completely to perform well on such occasions. hell, it was the Sabres that had the best chances!! what i dont understand is why the players never seem to find comfortable positioning out there on the ice. they make a bunch of broken plays and cant seem to properly cycle the puck. and some guys seem way too hesitant. i dont think that i shouldnt constantly be the blue liners that take the shots on net. mind you, when koivu is on the ice, u can see that the guys all look a lot better. now at this point, after what ive seen, BG has to do something about guy charron...it just makes no sense that this guy should be directing PP. my guess is that will actually be gainey's first 'big' change. also, can someone explain to me why is rivet on the PP, the guy already has enough trouble copping defensively, i dont think he needs any more "pressure" to perform in "attaque massive". but overall, our defense seems to be much much better with souray (aside from our offense (?!) ) allowing this little shots per game is great. that means that we get to see more time in the oppositions zone than ours. i hope they keep playing with such determination, the third period was really something in terms of body checks. hell i dont remember where we had this many hard hits in a whole season!! keep on dreaming boys and girls!!

Old
11-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Billy The Kid

Maybe they should Markov back on the powerplay!!

Old
11-08-2003, 11:04 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I don't know who else notice this, but we all sworm the puck. No one plays on the net, waiting for rebounds, and the PP or at Even Strength, they all seem to try and keep the puck in the zone. Some times you see all three forwards all over the puck and the two D-men outside the blueline. Our D cover is better, but we have no one on any other part of the ice, so instead of getting a rebound, we lose the puck after the shot, or we pass to the point.

Old
11-09-2003, 02:26 AM
JDog

I don't understand why Markov barely plays on the power play? Last night he had around 2 1/ 2 minutes on the PP and Souray had over 10 and Brisebois had just under 10...is Markov in the doghouse?

Old
11-09-2003, 02:40 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
I think Julien assistant are not good and that Julien try to implant his system without much help . I think the coach should select his assistants . Personally i would love to see Gainey back behind the bench to help Julien or to remplace him at the end of the year .

Old
11-09-2003, 05:15 AM
BLONG7

Markov has lost his PP time to Souray.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:45 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
Markov has lost his PP time to Souray.
Well it's probaly hard to take for Markov ... but on radio i heard that Julien helped Markov recently , Andrei asked for help and Julien said yes and both worked together .

Give the credit to Souray he deserved his spot on the PP , his shot is so powerfull ..he can create fat rebouds for our fowards or blast a big one timer behind the goalie . Also Souray seem to takes more place on the team , i think he could be captain of this team one day .

Old
11-09-2003, 11:44 AM
Breenger

Could it be that the team is missing Perrault on the power play? They did seem to be more sucessful before he was benched... though the team seems to be doing much better without him(so far), at even striength. Perhaps they could play him on koivu's wing instead of Audette(who isn't producing much), giving a line of:
Perrault-Koivu-Zednik

and have Perault move to center on the power play.

Old
11-09-2003, 11:49 AM
Hab-a-maniac

When combining our PP and PK effectiveness 2001-02, we were definitely top 10, maybe 7th or 8th. We have had MORE scoring talent since and have failed miserably. Notice that the year we excelled and made the playoffs, it was Carbonneau who was the ass. coach responsible for those things. Enter Charron=we suck @ss at special teams. There's no doubt about it.

Old
11-09-2003, 11:58 AM
Corey

I think putting Kilger on the PP was a good idea. He scored his goal just after the PP ended.

Old
11-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Habber

First of all, Koivu is our PP quarterback. It's hard to judge the PP when he's only been back for two games. Wait till he's been playing for a while and we'll see how it goes.

Also I don't think CJ has spent a lot of time on the PP. He worked hard all preseason to get this new system and didn't get much of a chance to work on the PP. I think it's a matter of the PP being low on the priority list, and hopefully that will change as we get more comfortable with the system.

Finally, I don't expect a whole lot from our PP anyway. Realistically, I can't see us finishing higher than average in the league. We just don't have the top line firepower to have a really successful PP.

Old
11-09-2003, 02:57 PM
FTK

First PP Unit

Koivu Markov

Zednik Audette

Kilger

Second PP Unit

Brisebois Souray

Ryder Ribiero

Hossa

Please, PLEASE don't use Rivet on the PP.

Old
11-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Traitor8

I really like ur choices FTK...

Using Kilger and Hossa in front of the net could really get them going.

Old
11-09-2003, 04:00 PM
The n00b King *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
First of all, Koivu is our PP quarterback. It's hard to judge the PP when he's only been back for two games. Wait till he's been playing for a while and we'll see how it goes.

Also I don't think CJ has spent a lot of time on the PP. He worked hard all preseason to get this new system and didn't get much of a chance to work on the PP. I think it's a matter of the PP being low on the priority list, and hopefully that will change as we get more comfortable with the system.

Finally, I don't expect a whole lot from our PP anyway. Realistically, I can't see us finishing higher than average in the league. We just don't have the top line firepower to have a really successful PP.
im sorry bro but i have to disagree with u. first of all, just think back to the 01-02 season. we had one of the best PP unit in the league. and there was NO koivu. hell, we even had less talent back then (mind u, Perreault actually produced). second, CJ hardly has anything to do with the PP, that's why there's the fantastic Guy Charron, which honestly makes our PP looking like the guys would rather hit themselves in the head with a hammer than try to get some coetion going. so i think u have to look at the bigger picture my friend, and that ur argument is weak, we have good enough talent to finish in the top 20 (or maybe even 15). but lack any organization in it. granted, koivu will make a difference, but he sure didnt in the 01-02 season..having cancer and all

Closed Thread