HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Mcguire on team 990

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2006, 04:48 PM
  #26
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The problem is that the players are expected to learn a new language. Their children and families have to adapt to a society where they'll be looked down on and barely be able to integrate into without learning a new language. I've lived here my entire life and I'm still seen as an outsider because I'm not a French-Canadian.

As for the politics...Well, I don't see what the appeal of moving to a city where the political situation is so unstable.
most players don't move their family no matter where they go

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:48 PM
  #27
zednik20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Language & Ethnics shouldn't be used as an argument either way. That you say that players do not want to come here because of my people (Which might also be yours) and my political ideology (Which is perfectly acceptable in a diplomatic world) hurts me.
its not me who is sayng that...its just Mcguire who repeat the same stufff over and over....

zednik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:50 PM
  #28
wholeshow*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
lol, they're talking about the weight signing being PURE genius. they're so right.
weight gets a cup, st.louis gets the carolina package and the first overall pick and weight returns.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:50 PM
  #29
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
most players don't move their family no matter where they go
For a 4-5 year contract, you better believe they do.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:50 PM
  #30
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 28,985
vCash: 50
These people on the team are incredible idiots.

I'm turning this crap off.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:50 PM
  #31
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ark1 View Post
It is not the fact that there are French people in Quebec. It is the fact that those people (at least some of them) expect players to learn an additional language.
Not really. Nobody asked Doug Gilmour to learn when he came, or Andy Moog, or Trevor Linden (That I remember). The language issue is mainly a Koivu thing where he's been here all these years as the captain and he cannot say some simple greetings to most of his fans, and cannot understand them either.

I know for a fact that guys like Rivet & Souray understand the language and can exchange a few words. Not enough to do an interview but enough to get what the people are saying, enough to read the papers, and enough to greet you. Reason? French as Second Language in school. They speak French as good as most of the people who had English as Second Language speak THAT here. And that's great. Which is enough to get around, look at me! Ok, I practice a lot, but that's where I got my base.

The language grudge was created by the media, for the media. It sells. It sells when the captain of the Canadiens is an ignoramus of the language of the majority. It creates controversy, controversy ignites spirits. And papers sell.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:50 PM
  #32
Rookie Chargers
Registered User
 
Rookie Chargers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Quebec
Country: Azores
Posts: 7,751
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
and I thought it was something with the water
It's the water! Just ask Wayne Twitchell he'll know.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:51 PM
  #33
Burnside_1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
What about their families? Their children who have to attend school here?
Some people have been living in Montréal for generations without even learning a single word of french, there are english schools, universities, etc. I don't see this as a Problem, and as for the players themselves, it's not like every single one of them is vindicated for not speaking french.

Burnside_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
  #34
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The problem is that the players are expected to learn a new language. Their children and families have to adapt to a society where they'll be looked down on and barely be able to integrate into without learning a new language. I've lived here my entire life and I'm still seen as an outsider because I'm not a French-Canadian.

As for the politics...Well, I don't see what the appeal of moving to a city where the political situation is so unstable.
Unstable Political Situation? What are you talking about? Are we in Jerusalem and nobody told me?

God damnit! IT WILL NEVER PASS!!! Understand?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
  #35
Pat
Registered User
 
Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
wow, McGuire isn't even on team 990 yet and we already have 2 pages to this thread

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:56 PM
  #36
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside_1 View Post
Some people have been living in Montréal for generations without even learning a single word of french, there are english schools, universities, etc.
English everything. English schools, universities, hospitals, papers, TV, radio, cult buildings, office services, commerce. And people, too.

Those people's kids went to English school, so they can keep on going to English school here. It's real immigrants (Who come to live here full-time) that do not come from English parents that are required to attend French Elementary & High school. So the Chinese guy attends French school. The guy from Petawawa doesn't.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:57 PM
  #37
NBHABSFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,346
vCash: 500
According to this caller on the Fan 990 Montreal have not signed any married hockey players because their wives will feel disgraced because of the strip clubs in Montreal.

And I thought I heard them all...

NBHABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:57 PM
  #38
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside_1 View Post
Some people have been living in Montréal for generations without even learning a single word of french, there are english schools, universities, etc. I don't see this as a Problem, and as for the players themselves, it's not like every single one of them is vindicated for not speaking french.
What about getting around the city? Just the other day, I asked someone a question on the street in English, and he turns to me with this disgusted face and says "Pardon?"

Yeah it doesn't happen much, but you need to know some basic French to get around here.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:58 PM
  #39
merlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: montreal
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Isn't Gainey supposed to be on the show?

Anyways, there are many reasons players will prefer to play elsewhere. Media pressure is one, and we all heard over and over the language thing along with taxes, but players in UFA territory, I think, will start to want to play for a team that is winning and is a contender as they have a choice. Montreal is barely getting into the playoffs for the last few years and is nowhere near being a cup contender. i think that thios is a major strike against the Habs.

merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:59 PM
  #40
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
Isn't Gainey supposed to be on the show?

Anyways, there are many reasons players will prefer to play elsewhere. Media pressure is one, and we all heard over and over the language thing along with taxes, but players in UFA territory, I think, will start to want to play for a team that is winning and is a contender as they have a choice. Montreal is barely getting into the playoffs for the last few years and is nowhere near being a cup contender. i think that thios is a major strike against the Habs.
where did you here that?

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:59 PM
  #41
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Unstable Political Situation? What are you talking about? Are we in Jerusalem and nobody told me?

God damnit! IT WILL NEVER PASS!!! Understand?
The players only know what they hear in the news. What they hear is that referendum is comming. What they hear are that people here are unhappy. It's stereotypes, but it's still out there.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:00 PM
  #42
Raider917
Registered User
 
Raider917's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
Isn't Gainey supposed to be on the show?

Anyways, there are many reasons players will prefer to play elsewhere. Media pressure is one, and we all heard over and over the language thing along with taxes, but players in UFA territory, I think, will start to want to play for a team that is winning and is a contender as they have a choice. Montreal is barely getting into the playoffs for the last few years and is nowhere near being a cup contender. i think that thios is a major strike against the Habs.
Chara went to boston though

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:00 PM
  #43
Mathletic
Registered User
 
Mathletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Augustin, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
As for the politics...Well, I don't see what the appeal of moving to a city where the political situation is so unstable.
Politics ? What do hockey players know about politics ? Most of them don't even have an high school degree and can't say anything more than, hey we'll play hard and whatnot. Ribeiro played 2 years ago in Finland instead of Russia because he said it was closer to home. Now you're thinking they know anything about politics ?

They just go for the fatter contract, end of story. I don't know why people still try to find excuses for players. For christ's sake, it's the Montreal Canadiens, the greatest hockey team of all time. The team needs a new icon and nobody wants to step up and come here and say, hey I'll put this team back on track.

nah they just go to Phoenix and Florida so they can go playing golf and have lunch with their nice girlfriends whom don't want to come up here because stores ain't big enough.

What more can you ask for than interest for the sport you play, in Montreal people care about what you do. But anyway this sports is what it is...

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:03 PM
  #44
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
Politics ? What do hockey players know about politics ? Most of them don't even have an high school degree and can't say anything more than, hey we'll play hard and whatnot. Ribeiro played 2 years ago in Finland instead of Russia because he said it was closer to home than Russia. Now you're thinking they know anything about politics ?

They just go for the fatter contract, end of story. I don't know why people still try to find excuses for players. For christ's sake, it's the Montreal Canadiens, the greatest hockey team of all time. The team needs a new icon and nobody wants to step up and come here and say, hey I'll put this team back on track.

nah they just go to Phoenix and Florida so they can go playing golf and have lunch with their nice girlfriends whom don't want to come up here because stores ain't big enough.

What more can you ask for than interest for the sport you play, in Montreal people care about what you do. But anyway this sports is what it is...

Well there you said it, they are uneducated. They hear the worst case scenarios because that's what out there, and they don't know any better. I don't know about you, but if all I heard was talk of seperation and unhappy people, I'd avoid that place like Theodore avoids hockey pucks.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:04 PM
  #45
NBHABSFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
nah they just go to Phoenix and Florida so they can go playing golf and have lunch with their nice girlfriends whom don't want to come up here because stores ain't big enough.

What more can you ask for than interest for the sport you play, in Montreal people care about what you do. But anyway this sports is what it is...
I agree with you you said. If they are not excited about coming to Montreal and playing on the Canadiens than goto Phx or FLA.

I wan't players to sign that are excited and WANT to play in Montreal for the greatest team on Earth.

NBHABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:05 PM
  #46
Beatnik
Registered User
 
Beatnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The problem is that the players are expected to learn a new language. Their children and families have to adapt to a society where they'll be looked down on and barely be able to integrate into without learning a new language. I've lived here my entire life and I'm still seen as an outsider because I'm not a French-Canadian.

As for the politics...Well, I don't see what the appeal of moving to a city where the political situation is so unstable.


You really think they care about politic? MTL is a very stable city, It's much safer than Toronto, Vancouver and american cities. The childrens can attemp english school and they can live in english aera. The language is not a problem, except for people with an unhealthy obsession about it.

You are the living proof that one can live in Montreal without speaking french and enjoy it enough to stay.


If there is anything that hurt Montreal it's the taxes and the weather.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:05 PM
  #47
merlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: montreal
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
Chara went to boston though
Agreed, then again it was major money. Also, they are making moves to progress (Savard being one of them)

merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:05 PM
  #48
Burnside_1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
What about getting around the city? Just the other day, I asked someone a question on the street in English, and he turns to me with this disgusted face and says "Pardon?"

Yeah it doesn't happen much, but you need to know some basic French to get around here.
yes, basic french. Brian Savage did even more than that, just how hard was it?

Souray did it too. It's not like you need to learn some Molière by heart, and i'm pretty sure euro guys don't feel that bad in the city.

Burnside_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:07 PM
  #49
merlin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: montreal
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
where did you here that?
Not sure anymore...too many threads....posts... confused....

merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:07 PM
  #50
NBHABSFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post

If there is anything that hurt Montreal it's the taxes and the weather.
To an extent but there are so many advantages as well take the lower cost of housing then compared to Toronto or some US cities.

NBHABSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.