HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Pierre Mcguire on team 990

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2006, 05:08 PM
  #51
HomaridII
Registered User
 
HomaridII's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside_1 View Post
yes, basic french. Brian Savage did even more than that, just how hard was it?

Souray did it too. It's not like you need to learn some Molière by heart, and i'm pretty sure euro guys don't feel that bad in the city.

I don't think the problem is the city or the language or the culture. F1 drivers constantly say that Montreal is their favorite city to visit other than Monaco for example.

The problem here is the very high tax rate and more importantly, the media. Do you think that the Koivu eye incident helped us lure free agents? Do you think ANYBODY wants to come to a city where you can't even sit in a hospital in peace after a traumatizing injury like that? That kind of thing would only happen here and maybe in Toronto, thats it!

HomaridII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:13 PM
  #52
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post


You really think they care about politic? MTL is a very stable city, It's much safer than Toronto, Vancouver and american cities. The childrens can attemp english school and they can live in english aera. The language is not a problem, except for people with an unhealthy obsession about it.

You are the living proof that one can live in Montreal without speaking french and enjoy it enough to stay.


If there is anything that hurt Montreal it's the taxes and the weather.
Je suis bilingue, mon ami.

waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:14 PM
  #53
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 500
They are saying on Team 990 that the taxe issue is nothing because the team pays off most of it.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:23 PM
  #54
wildone26*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 500
Sometimes when I watch Pierre McGuire speak on Huet I get the impression he does not like Huet at all. Also when he speaks of Montreal I get the impression he is rooting against Montreal often. Maybe that is just me, but that is the impression I often get.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:24 PM
  #55
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside_1 View Post
yes, basic french. Brian Savage did even more than that, just how hard was it?

Souray did it too. It's not like you need to learn some Molière by heart, and i'm pretty sure euro guys don't feel that bad in the city.
Brian Savage was born in Northern Ontario, where a large portion of the population is french. I'm sure he knew his french when he got to Montreal. (Same with Rivet)
Like someone stated earlier. Most of those people have probably taken french as a second language courses their entire lives.

Edit: I also don't believe that it is a reason players don't sign here.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:26 PM
  #56
turnbuckle*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Brian Savage was born in Northern Ontario, where a large portion of the population is french. I'm sure he knew his french when he got to Montreal. (Same with Rivet)
Like someone stated earlier. Most of those people have probably taken french as a second language courses their entire lives.

Edit: I also don't believe that it is a reason players don't sign here.
Same with Ward. did McGuire ever come on?

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:27 PM
  #57
wholeshow*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post
Sometimes when I watch Pierre McGuire speak on Huet I get the impression he does not like Huet at all. Also when he speaks of Montreal I get the impression he is rooting against Montreal often. Maybe that is just me, but that is the impression I often get.
i agree with 30% of that....











actually i agree with you totally.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:31 PM
  #58
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,003
vCash: 50
Brian Savage is said to be a legitimate genius though, very smart man. I don't know if you can put his case in the same boat as others.

Phil Parent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:33 PM
  #59
Burnside_1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I don't think the problem is the city or the language or the culture. F1 drivers constantly say that Montreal is their favorite city to visit other than Monaco for example.

The problem here is the very high tax rate and more importantly, the media. Do you think that the Koivu eye incident helped us lure free agents? Do you think ANYBODY wants to come to a city where you can't even sit in a hospital in peace after a traumatizing injury like that? That kind of thing would only happen here and maybe in Toronto, thats it!
you're right on this, what a shame.

I remember Cicconne saying that the habs have a reputation of being one of the classiest organisation in the leagues in therms of the way they treat their players though.

Burnside_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:46 PM
  #60
Goalie3636
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside_1 View Post
I remember Cicconne saying that the habs have a reputation of being one of the classiest organisation in the leagues in therms of the way they treat their players though.
I can see that,, we must be the only team that doesn't blab the financial terms of our players contracts.

Also I think that the conditions of Bill 101 don't help Montreal land any players either. And I hope that that doesn't offend any Quebeckers that strongly agree with the Bill and if I do then I'm sorry.

Goalie3636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:51 PM
  #61
Boston Bruno
Registered User
 
Boston Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnside_1 View Post
you're right on this, what a shame.

I remember Cicconne saying that the habs have a reputation of being one of the classiest organisation in the leagues in therms of the way they treat their players though.
Other teams can take lessons from Montreal when it comes to dealing with players..


For those of you who dont think that the culture plays a part of it though , Wake up and smell the poutine.

No "western raised" woman is going to gleefully tag along with her well to do hubby and move to Montreal.

Like it or not, Montreal is its own sub culture in the world. It fits more of a european mold than a North American one.

I am not saying personally that there is something WRONG with Montreal. I have been to the city many times and I have enjoyed it - but come on. You think that XYZ married couple is going to come to montreal and
1) pay more taxes
2) be scrutinized by the most ruthless media covering sports
3) have to learn a new language or feel like everyone is saying something about them?
4) Wear that god awful jersey?

Okay, 4 was just because I am supposed to do that - but the other 3 are pretty legit.

I simply could not see a Player and his family willingly moving to montreal to Pay More taxes, Work Harder, and get crapped on more..

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:01 PM
  #62
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,375
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
Other teams can take lessons from Montreal when it comes to dealing with players..


For those of you who dont think that the culture plays a part of it though , Wake up and smell the poutine.

No "western raised" woman is going to gleefully tag along with her well to do hubby and move to Montreal.

Like it or not, Montreal is its own sub culture in the world. It fits more of a european mold than a North American one.

I am not saying personally that there is something WRONG with Montreal. I have been to the city many times and I have enjoyed it - but come on. You think that XYZ married couple is going to come to montreal and
1) pay more taxes
2) be scrutinized by the most ruthless media covering sports
3) have to learn a new language or feel like everyone is saying something about them?
4) Wear that god awful jersey?

Okay, 4 was just because I am supposed to do that - but the other 3 are pretty legit.

I simply could not see a Player and his family willingly moving to montreal to Pay More taxes, Work Harder, and get crapped on more..

#3 is waek , it's real easy to live here talking english. When you go see a movie there more rooms in english than in french , there is also arab ones. Walk downtown and you will hear a LOT of people talk english , French is getting weaker by the day in MTL. And #2 is discutable , Boston media werent very friendly with Big Joe when the Habs owned him , twice.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:14 PM
  #63
Duster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
As an NHL player who works out in my gym once told me: "Who needs the hassle?"

It's quality of life that matters and every person has different criteria. Ask most people who move to a new city. As Lecavalier once mentioned last year, players ask other players what it's like to play in Montreal. They pay close attention to how members of the team , past and present, are or were treated by the fans and the media. Booing Brisebois for no reason, ambushing a player with an eye injury with a flash in a hospital, and a hockey show featuring xenophobes, for example, is not a good way to endear yourself.


Last edited by Duster: 07-03-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 07:02 PM
  #64
Boston Bruno
Registered User
 
Boston Bruno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej View Post
#3 is waek , it's real easy to live here talking english. When you go see a movie there more rooms in english than in french , there is also arab ones. Walk downtown and you will hear a LOT of people talk english , French is getting weaker by the day in MTL. And #2 is discutable , Boston media werent very friendly with Big Joe when the Habs owned him , twice.
You pummeled Joe Thornton and his bruins, he sucked


And the Media in Boston gives Jacobs a pass more times than not. Where as yours was bold enough to run thru Patty Roy..

I agree it is easy to live in Montreal.. I like Montreal. BUT Peter Puck and Betty Smith are not going to "add to the labors of life" by picking a place where they can very easily get "in the wrong side of the language barrier".

Montreal comes with Culture Shock - and that is a huge factor in a family oriented career choice.

Why do you think you end up with so many Russians and Swedes and French Canadian boys?

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 07:14 PM
  #65
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Wow...another thread about language issues !

I am very proud to be a French Quebecer. We are just 7 million surrounded by an ocean of 300 million anglos and we can survive despite their constant attacks on our culture.

Don't worry. Quebecers don't try to assimilate you. They just want a bit more respect. That's all.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 07:18 PM
  #66
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Boston Bruno;5909069]

Montreal comes with Culture Shock - and that is a huge factor in a family oriented career choice.
QUOTE]

This, unfortunately is the cold hard truth.

Thankfully, they have an awesome young core of players ready to run the league

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 09:24 PM
  #67
catmanhabsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Unstable Political Situation? What are you talking about? Are we in Jerusalem and nobody told me?

God damnit! IT WILL NEVER PASS!!! Understand?
damn and ive been eating non kosher meats for 29 years! lol

catmanhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 11:13 PM
  #68
digitalmonkey*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
YEa I just herd that....it was a pretty interesting discussion except it wasn't with Pierre Mcguire. Interesting none-the-less
It's probably interesting because it wasn't Pierre McGuire.

digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 11:26 PM
  #69
Montrealer
Registered User
 
Montrealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chambly QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
Wow...another thread about language issues !

I am very proud to be a French Quebecer. We are just 7 million surrounded by an ocean of 300 million anglos and we can survive despite their constant attacks on our culture.

Don't worry. Quebecers don't try to assimilate you. They just want a bit more respect. That's all.
I love it when that Quebecois Auto-Defense mode comes on. It's like if there's a certain amount of talk about language or politics, it just snaps on, without regard to the actual point anyone is trying to make.

Look, Habitué, it's great you're proud, I'm proud, we're proud, blahblahblah... the point some people are trying to make is that sometimes Jimmy Player from Butt-End-Of-Nowhere, Saskatchewan (or worse Minnesota) and his wife Darlene from Hicksville, TN might decide to go with any other team than Montreal if the price is the same simply because they couldn't be bothered to learn 1 word of any foreign language, even when they're vacationing.

This is not an attack, it's just a fact of life. Then again, these kinds of people wouldn't exactly enjoy playing/living here, and Montreal wouldn't exactly enjoy hearing them complain ad nauseum, so it's no loss for the Habs.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:12 AM
  #70
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
Politics ? What do hockey players know about politics ? Most of them don't even have an high school degree and can't say anything more than, hey we'll play hard and whatnot. Ribeiro played 2 years ago in Finland instead of Russia because he said it was closer to home. Now you're thinking they know anything about politics ?

They just go for the fatter contract, end of story. I don't know why people still try to find excuses for players. For christ's sake, it's the Montreal Canadiens, the greatest hockey team of all time. The team needs a new icon and nobody wants to step up and come here and say, hey I'll put this team back on track.

nah they just go to Phoenix and Florida so they can go playing golf and have lunch with their nice girlfriends whom don't want to come up here because stores ain't big enough.

What more can you ask for than interest for the sport you play, in Montreal people care about what you do. But anyway this sports is what it is...
Agree totally.

Dammit if I was a player in the NHL, I would RUN to the Montreal Canadiens to find a job. Yes, RUN to them. I would take this city by the throat and make them love me. I would kill to play for them. Especially if I was as talented as a Vincent Lecavalier and the type of drive he has. It would be the greatest thing on Earth! People say the medias and fans are hard on the players but that`s because we`ve had lackluster teams and second-rate players for ten years! But bring in any great talented players to the Habs and they will love you like you cannot believe. Look at somebody like Kovalev: he`s been a weird player all his life, he`s lazy as Hell but the Habs fans and media has pimped him like he`s the second coming. Can you imagine somebody of quality like Lecavalier coming here + he`s a frenchy, he would be the Mayor, King and Pope of Montreal. lol Not only he would have his 6 Million dollar contract but people would throw money at him in the street. He wouldn`t have to even buy himself cars, it would be given to him at gifts. And i`m not exagerating.

But sports players these days are so above it all. They don`t seem to have any emotional contact with anything. They have their agents feeding them bullsh*t, sometime when you`re big players heck there`s even a whole team around you to serve you and make you happy. So somebody like Lecavalier already has his own kingdom travelling with him. In short coming to a place like Montreal would be too much of a hurdle, it might mess up his haircut a bit. But if I were him I would come running to that city to play for the Habs. Sure he`s having fun in Tampa and he did win the Cup..but on Montreal it would be much more.

And because of that I don`t see anybody big enough to come and sign with us. We have to have guys grow into our organisation and build by draft picks. That`s our only option.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:30 AM
  #71
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,003
vCash: 50
You know what, Kimota speaks the the truth.

Phil Parent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 07:32 AM
  #72
Artie
Registered User
 
Artie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Que
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Agree totally.

Dammit if I was a player in the NHL, I would RUN to the Montreal Canadiens to find a job. Yes, RUN to them. I would take this city by the throat and make them love me. I would kill to play for them. Especially if I was as talented as a Vincent Lecavalier and the type of drive he has. It would be the greatest thing on Earth! People say the medias and fans are hard on the players but that`s because we`ve had lackluster teams and second-rate players for ten years! But bring in any great talented players to the Habs and they will love you like you cannot believe. Look at somebody like Kovalev: he`s been a weird player all his life, he`s lazy as Hell but the Habs fans and media has pimped him like he`s the second coming. Can you imagine somebody of quality like Lecavalier coming here + he`s a frenchy, he would be the Mayor, King and Pope of Montreal. lol Not only he would have his 6 Million dollar contract but people would throw money at him in the street. He wouldn`t have to even buy himself cars, it would be given to him at gifts. And i`m not exagerating.

And the minute something goes wrong, like a 3 game no-point streak, or let in 5 goals in one game, or get beat on a one-on-one and the fans and media are calling for a trade or booing you.

We love to eat our own in this town.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 08:01 AM
  #73
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Pierre McGuire stated that he's not going to be around for the 'silly season'. After the draft he's taking time off. The stuff I've read in this thread is pretty sad. Duster mentionned that players perceive that it just isn't worth the hassle. That's probably right. We cry about how false perceptions unfairly characterize a wonderful place. That's true. I'm proud to be from Quebec. I've been in Ont. for 13 years but I know where my home province is.

You complain about false perceptions, how players should understand the benefits of playing here ? Still, we mention how Koivu can't speak French as well as rIvet and Souray ? Hmm, I've never heard a word of French from Rivet,Souray either actually. That doesn't mean they don't. I've heard Koivu say a few sentences. I'm told he can follow a conversation, order a meal, but doesn't like to speak in public. Don't let anything change perception though.

When the spotlight is on a team, that's when the hockey world notices your city. Playoff time. What did the players notice about Montreal ? Photographers sneaking around hospitals. At the same time, I'd bet 20 people were shot in Ny or LA but the hockey world noticed that photog's ambush, and thought, who needs that crap ?

Players ask guys like Recchi who played here if this stuff really goes on, they ask Theo if paparazzi really camped outside his house, what do you think he said ?

and as far anyone being offended, you can't offend and cry that you're offended. The fact that this thread has gone on is a perfect example of the big red X that 'seems' to be on our team. I feel like a dick for even posting in it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 08:05 AM
  #74
wade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 434
vCash: 500
it is simple.. if you are purely the best you will be treated like a god.. if you stumble even once you are screwed..

this is why we chant huet! in the stands...

and this is why i've come to the conclusion we should trade half of our roster for ovechkin

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 08:19 AM
  #75
Prendan Brust
Registered User
 
Prendan Brust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles View Post
Politics ? What do hockey players know about politics ? Most of them don't even have an high school degree and can't say anything more than, hey we'll play hard and whatnot. Ribeiro played 2 years ago in Finland instead of Russia because he said it was closer to home. Now you're thinking they know anything about politics ?

They just go for the fatter contract, end of story. I don't know why people still try to find excuses for players. For christ's sake, it's the Montreal Canadiens, the greatest hockey team of all time. The team needs a new icon and nobody wants to step up and come here and say, hey I'll put this team back on track.

nah they just go to Phoenix and Florida so they can go playing golf and have lunch with their nice girlfriends whom don't want to come up here because stores ain't big enough.

What more can you ask for than interest for the sport you play, in Montreal people care about what you do. But anyway this sports is what it is...
Great post. My feeling exactly.

Prendan Brust is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.