HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Give Gainey a break for now

Old
07-04-2006, 12:25 PM
JackieChan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
And btw, Aren't you supposed to be working?
Posting a little bit keeps me awake

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:29 PM
RC51

Well I see I created quite a discussion.

i read all you posts and have felt the anger over the Gainey current tactic of NOT joining the herd.

SO are we realy angry at Gainey? or are we realy angry at the players?

We as Fans, give our hope and dreams to OUR TEAM, we don't get paid do this. We actualy PAY to go to our teams games.
We want the best team, a team that plays hard every night and win or lose put in a top effort to win. This is what we PAY for. We keep our pride in our team even if the team hits hard times.

Every once in a while we see players jump ship, take nights off and do whats best for them and not OUR team. Even some of our own Quebec born players, once having tasted life in other hockey cities, suddenly become non-quebecers and non-political. Money does strange things. Once you have some, it changes you. Many hockey players have forgotten thier roots and have chosen to go where the money is and where the life is easier. It's hard to blame them but then again it's hard to keep your roots when MONEY is concerned.

We. as Fans of course don't get the chance to make millions or move to the sun belt. We do not begrudge ANY player that after retirement choses to move to the sun with his millions. What we don't like is when he forgets those that have supported him just as soon as the first BIG contract is offered. After all we have loyalty to our team but it seems players have loyalty to MONEY.

SO is the problem with the Players, or is the problem with us.
We no longer give our loyalty to our boss and company like we did 30 years ago, so what's the differance. If we are offered more money, don't we do exactly what the players do?

Life in the 21st century, well get used to it, it's here and it is not going away. The NHL has adjusted with a CAP and new rules.

Lots of players are and will become UFA's much sooner. Every year this will happen. The ONLY asset your TEAM has that is of HIGH value is your prospect pool. Keep the focus on this and you will win. Get caught up in the yearly shopping spree and your waisting your time.

If your young ( and cheap) players are making you a playoff team then YES maybe 1 or 2 UFS can put you over the top. Be prepaired with some cap room, some money and a good GM year after year and strike when the time IS RIGHT.

Is Gainey doing exactly this? I think YES.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

This is not Gainey’s fault. I’m getting sick of the bashers out there. Go join the Leafs! Example: Arnott has signed a $22.5-million US, five-year contract which averages out to 4.5 million a year.

The point to getting a free agent was to insert this player to help us through to 2009 when contention would be more a possibility. Boivin said sometime ago that they had a plan to build for 2008 or ’09.

Gainey wanted a UFA for only 2 years unless it was an Elias but all the UFA’s are going long term for security. My point is that what the Habs need and what the players want do not gel.

How can Gainey be blamed?

STAY TUNED!

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftsure1786 View Post
You see its that sort of opinion, which is, with all due respect, misguided. I won't get into the NFl part because I am not at all knowledgable about that but when you say we have a right to demand better, what exactly do you mean by that? Surely you can't be calling for merely a free agent signing, regardless of who it actually is? let me tell you that signing a free agent just for the sake of signing a free agent is about the worst possible thing that Gainey could do. Bob Gainey has been so smart in this FA period. Take a look at the contracts being given out? Would you really ahve wanted Arnott or Elias or Kubina or whoever at some of these prices and lengths? Gainey is building a team, not the easy way to satisfy fans/media, but the right way to win a cup. The elation that Bruins fans are feeling right now will dissapear very quickly when Chara and Savard all of a sudden aren't quite performing as expected, Elias will be great now, but in 2012, would you want to be paying $7m to him, same with the 5th year of Arnott. Take a look at these deals, thank God we did not rush into these stupid deals. We now have two things that few teams have:

1) We have good cap room as of right now, we are much better equipped to explore other options such as offer sheets and trades.

2) We do not one significantly over-paid player who can hurt us economically in the future, what that gives, and this is the all important word in the NHL today - flexibility.

I want the Habs to win number 25 just as much as anyone but what we have to realise is that this is not going to happen by flashy free-agents, look at Carolina, look at Buffalo, look at NYR, look what they did in terms of free agents and where they ended up in our conference; then look at Boston, look at Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh was going to win the cup and the Boston fans were in exactly the same mood as they are this year.

Oh and one more thing - there are still some very interesting Free Agents left.

Let's keep the faith.

Actually, I had no desire for Gainey to go out and sign any of the real big names out there... I am not disapointed that he didn't overpay for Jovonovski, or latch on to a guy like Elias or Chara for the long term... And I was not thrilled at the idea of signing Arnott cuz I really don't think he is worth what he would be asking...

That being said, our club has some holes that need to be filled, and thus far he has done nothing to address them.
IMO we need some help at C and LW, and looking at some of the movement the past two weeks, I think that some of those holes could have been addressed, and not by over paying for some big name FA...
Maybe he did work the phones with TB, maybe he didn't, but I don't think Denis is rated that much higher than Abby, and Freddy Modin would look really good in our lineup!

Also, I don't think Bouillion at 1.8 for 3 years was a good signing (Zyuzin, a younger player with much more upside, and a higher skill level, signed in Calgary for 1.4).

If you look at the final four this year (Ahn, Edm, Carolina, Buffalo), buffalo was the only one of the group that didn't make a rather large FA grab/Deadline Deal...
Peca, Pronger, Samsonov, Roloson, Weight, Recchi, Neidemayer, Beauchemin, Selanne(even though he was more of a gamble than a splash) all played major roles in leading their teams to the brink of cup glory... Lowe, Rutherford and Burke have built successful clubs without sacrificing their futures by having a plan but still risking being bold... Can we really say the same for Gainey?

Our young talent is solid, grant it, but after over a decade of hoping and praying as the Habs battle their way to a 7th or 8th place finish, I don't think that it's unreasonable to want a little more... doesn't have to be a contender, yet, but at least a solid 4th/5th.

Finally, the word on the Theo trade was to give us Cap space... Cap space for what?

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:37 PM
deandebean

It's not the non-signing that bugs me. It's the non-moves that do.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Miller Time

Anyone here follow the Flames?

Darryl Sutter took over a team in worse condition than the Habs were when Gainey took over...

A year later his team suprised the league by making the cup final, two years later his team is being picked as cup favorites by SI (granted not the Hockey bible, but the flames were a concencus top 3 or 4 team at the beginning of the year).

Did he do this with big name FA signings? Not really, Hamrlik was probably the biggest.

No, he did it by forcing the existing players to buy into his system (and shipping out those who didn't), by bringing in players that he felt could commit to his system, and by making a few really solid small time moves (Nilson from Flo for nothing, Kiprusoff from SJ for nothing, Ferrence from Pitt for nothing, Huselius from FLO for nothing... incidentally, I was parying Gainey would take Huselius of Waivers from Flo and people here called me crazy)

Sutter is a great example of a GM who has a plan, is sticking to it, but also isn't afraid to make a risky move here or there... some work out (Huselius, Hamrlik,), some fail (Leclerc/Boucher), some are pretty even (Warrener for Drury, Leopold for Tanguay ?).

To me, has been a little to reluctant to pull the trigger, and the team's identity is still a bit of a question mark (How does ribeiro fit the hard working fast skating mold exactly? meanwhile Bulis, a quick and hard working forward is shown the door rather harshly?).

Maybe he's got more up his sleave, but he's had more than enough time to improve this team, and while the youth looks better, we're still sitting around the same place in the standings as we were when he took over.

Old
07-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
It's not the non-signing that bugs me. It's the non-moves that do.
BINGO!