HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Question about Staal

Old
07-04-2006, 09:21 AM
FmmF3*

vCash: 500
Question about Staal

Is he locked in Juniors for the entire season if he's sent down there? That is, if we send him down in October, can we call him back up in January for reasons injury or otherwise?

FmmF3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:22 AM
DarthSather99

No calls up until the Junior team's season is over ....

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:26 AM
FmmF3*

How about the opposite? That is, If he makes the team out of camp, can we send him down if we feel he is being overmatched?

Tom and the boys need to think long and hard about this and doing whats best for Marc's development

FmmF3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmmF3 View Post
How about the opposite? That is, If he makes the team out of camp, can we send him down if we feel he is being overmatched?

Tom and the boys need to think long and hard about this and doing whats best for Marc's development

He can play up to 10 games and still be sent down.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
He can play up to 10 games and still be sent down.
My understanding is that we could send him down whenever we want, but if we do after he's played ten games then we owe him his full salary for the year and he has fulfilled a year of his contract, making him an RFA sooner. I know the Rangers did exactly that with Malhotra one year. If that has changed in the latest CBA, just tell me so.

Potted Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:58 AM
kasparaitis666

more importantly do you actually think that Stall is going to be ready for the NHL? I feel like he is either going to play another year of Juniors or a season in Hartford. I think it is silly to be penciling him into the NYR line up like people on this forum have been doing.

kasparaitis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Fletch

He can't play in Hartford...

that's the dilemma. If he looks to be close to the NHL and you feel like a month or so could get him in the groove and by December you think he'd be looking like a player that belongs, do you keep him up? Problem is, with the way the defense is shaping up, there won't be room for Staal's growing pains which almost assuredly sends him back to juniors, a place where he may not progress too much against lesser competition.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasparaitis666 View Post
more importantly do you actually think that Stall is going to be ready for the NHL? I feel like he is either going to play another year of Juniors or a season in Hartford. I think it is silly to be penciling him into the NYR line up like people on this forum have been doing.
but at this point, he better than Juniors, and not allowed in the AHL.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob View Post
but at this point, he better than Juniors, and not allowed in the AHL.
Is he not allowed in the AHL yet? It seems to me that we frequently see players spend one post-draft year in juniors and then go to the AHL. What exactly are the rules?

Personally, I think that if any young defenseman is poised to make the team out of camp, it stands to be Baranka.

Potted Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:34 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Staal is a prime example of what needs to be changed with Jr players. He may be too good for the CHl and yet not ready for the NHL. Ideally you would want him in Hartford but under the current rules that is not possible.

I would like to see an exemption whereby every NHL team may place any 3 CHL prospects they have in the AHL over any 2 year period, i.e. in year 1 say we elect Staal and Cliche to play in Hartford, the following year we could only elect 1 prospect from the CHL to play in Hartford. The 3rd year you would be eligible for up to 2 players, or 1 depending on your needs and use the 2 player option in year 4.

I think that would help the development of those players who have really outgrown the CHL. While I fully understand that it would and could hurt CHL team attendance, I would propose a transfer fee of some amount, $50,000.00 to $100,000.00 to help offset the loss of revenue.

You would be talking 30-60 players per year that would be eligible.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:58 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I'm sure he'd manage in Charlotte if the AHL was over his head.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie View Post
My understanding is that we could send him down whenever we want, but if we do after he's played ten games then we owe him his full salary for the year and he has fulfilled a year of his contract, making him an RFA sooner. I know the Rangers did exactly that with Malhotra one year. If that has changed in the latest CBA, just tell me so.
This is the correct rule...

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

I have done some research and I cannot find out what the current status of the CHL/NHL agreement is. I have called the CHL offices (which are back to work today after the holiday weekend), and as soon I hear something back from them (they are very good about returning calls), I will post it.

What I see is CBA Article 9.1 (d)(iv) says that return dates and eligibility for play in the minor leagues are "affirmed and confirmed and continued".

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post

You would be talking 30-60 players per year that would be eligible.
And that would be 30-60 of the CHL's top players and main attractions. You take top players out of the leagues, and the talent level is watered down and could have a negative effect on the development of players.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote