HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Poti rumour...

Old
07-04-2006, 11:51 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
If Clarke would do that, I'd personally go to Philladelphie and give him a big french kiss.
Why do you have to bring language into this...

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:52 AM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
If Clarke would do that, I'd personally go to Philladelphie and give him a big french kiss.
Gagné is going nowhere, he's the very core of their team, and they don't have anybody to replace him under short notice.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:00 PM
saskhab

Mark Streit >>> Tom Poti

This better not even be close to true. Too many boneheaded mistakes from Poti, so little effort as well.

TSN knows so little about the inner workings of the Habs, that even if Bob Mac had heard it, it's hard to take him seriously. TSN has one reporter in Montreal to cover the Habs (Whalen), and I've never heard any groundbreaking stories come from TSN's Montreal coverage. They simply report, they don't investigate, the Habs.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:16 PM
zednik20

they close the thread on CHfan...I think we should do the same....

zednik20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:20 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I've always read that he's faily physical. Never have I heard him described as soft but I guess I was wrong!
I think that's one of the knocks on Poti, all the physical tools, but as soft as butter. I'm not sure how his positional play is, maybe someone from the Rangers or someone who's followed Poti can give us a low down?

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Habsaku

Do we really need an even mroe gutless version of Patrice Brisebois?

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:38 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Thats not what I have been reading the last 3 days. People want to sign someone just for the sake for signing someone.
Richer?

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Yessssss !!!!!!!!! A potential dream may come true !!!!

Hrdina , Poti , Lindros and Dvorak !!!!!! Bob MUST sign these guys at any costs if we want to have a shot at the cup.

We also need to resign Todd Simpson to a multi year/multi million dollars contract as he is the best stay at home defenseman of the NHL and would help us tremendously

Stanley cup , here we come !!!!!!

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

And for the final nail on the coffin, here's what the Rangers board had to say....

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=266820

There are some positives, but just by the tone, I think they are so eager to get rid of him.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
I wouldn't know. Unlike others, I'm not the kind the bury my head in the sand.
Well, at least you know about diarrhea

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:51 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_9forever View Post
they close the thread on CHfan...I think we should do the same....
YAP YAP YAP YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Gagné is going nowhere, he's the very core of their team, and they don't have anybody to replace him under short notice.
I know, and guess what, I'll never french kiss anybody.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Big guy, very physical, good for 30-40 points with maybe 10 goals...Can QB the PP if needed...But has those dreaded brain cramps. He was once an allstar so he's got the potential to play well, and he's only 29.
Whaaa?

EDIT: Yeah I see other posters beat me to it. Poti is as physical as a domestic plant. And he's actually worse than Brisebois defensively. He'd get run out of town after 2 games.

My theory: Gainey started the Hrdina and Poti rumors to scare us from signing anybody. That way we'll actually be relieved when the UFA hunt closes and we didn't get anything.

Last edited by Munchausen: 07-04-2006 at 01:19 PM.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:13 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Well, at least you know about diarrhea
Yeah, it's a ***** in case you weren't aware. I know you're more familiar with the verbal kind.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Yeah, it's a ***** in case you weren't aware. I know you're more familiar with the verbal kind.
Thanks, reading your stuff really helps.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Basically because evry discussion forum has always listed him as a guy they just had to get rid of. Radio guys talk of him being untadeable,hot stove guys bad mouth him. He could be solid, I don't get paid to evaluate players, but he's one of those guys that you never hear a good word about.
All that said, even the soft braincrampy type of defenseman can be somewhat useful, played the right way in the right situations. We caught fleeting glimpses of that with Brisebois. Kaberle showed a bit of that with Carolina, IMO. The problem of course comes in when one starts mentioning $15M/4yr contracts. That would be insane.

Poti... at $1M/1yr as an emergency gap-filler or experiment... well... I would have my doubts about the ultimate need for it, but at least it might be worth a try. Anything more than that, phew, it would change my (currently very positive) view of Gainey's FA methodology entirely.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:29 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

For the shake of God, NO

habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Like I was saying, if not via a trade, we still could have much better than Poti like:

Jaroslav Spacek
Danny Markov
Sean Hill
Glen Wesley

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:45 PM
frozenrubber

Background

Let me give you some background on Tom Poti.

Poti was initially drafted by Sather in Edmonton. He slipped quite a bit in the draft b/c of his medical condition. His medical condition is basically, he's allegeric to about EVERYTHING. His roommate in college once made a peanut butter sandwich in the same room as Tom and they needed to rush him to the emergency room (just the smell of peanuts). So first off, if you acquire Poti, you are also acquiring a ton of epi-pens.

Tom was booed out of Edmonton w/ lackluster play that didn't live up to his potential. So be it. However, Glen Sather, now the GM of the Rangers traded Mike York (a fan FAVORITE) for Tom Poti. He never really had a chance to be liked by Ranger fans as a result. As billed by many Ranger fans early, we expected him to develop into a #1/#2 PP QB.

The year he was an all-star was when he was paired w/ Brian Leetch. Despite the numbers he posted, it was the most ill-conceived defensive pairing ever. If any team was to sign him, they should demand he plays the more uptempo offensive style he played this year.

Some posters have mentioned a physical presence. Simply put, Tom has NONE. He delivered about 2 checks his entire Ranger career. His M.O. is the poke check. He uses possibly the longest stick in the NHL.

During the lockout, he bulked up his upper body significantly (also explains why every interview of him, he wasn't wearing a shirt). While appearing bigger, it didn't do anything to help his game. For the season, Tom Poti was a bottom pairing defensemen (#5 to be exact) and received almost NO PP work at all. While the most defensively responsible this last year, any offensive acumen completely dried up.

Offensive potential: The guy can pull a coast to coast rush everyonce in awhile (like his Boston days). However, this last year, he had the largest reluctance to shoot the puck. Anyone expecting a cannon is mistaken. If he receives the puck in a good shooting position, he'll, no lie, look around the ice for 2-3 seconds looking to pass. If he doesn't see anyone, w/ the shooting lane already blocked, he'll throw a 25 mph wrist shot on net from the point.

In an overall assessment of Tom's skills, the biggest missing factor seems to be any hockey sense. While for years he's had the talent necessary to be a offensive defensemen, he doesn't know how to translate this to reality.

Lastly, greed/arrogance. Tom is never short on self-confidence. He's always been paid more than he's worth and used arbitration to get a top-notch salary. While Tom Renney benched him a few games this year, initially he didn't know why. I hope a new team and a kick in the *** can get Tom Poti into gear.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:18 PM
wholeshow*

thanks for that frozen, i've seen poti play in edmonton and yah it's funny he is allergic to everything (pretty much all meats, poor guy). He's forced to eat bread with ground beef for most of his meals, and im surprised he's as big as he is.

If the habs acquire his services for under 2.5 million, they better deal sheldon souray. But this would at best be a lateral move, if we can get something cheap with potential via the souray trade we might come out of this maneuvering on top.

But in the end i'd rather not sign poti (not likely we willl, bob isn't that stupid), and rather go after a guy like danny markov or spacek. But defense is not a serious issue for us right now (it's a problem next year), our main concern should be offense. Can the youngsters be trusted to light the lantern, can guys like ryder, koivu and kovalev stay healthy and play larger offensive roles?

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I just hope this is not true I don't want a second Souray.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32 View Post
I just hope this is not true I don't want a second Souray.
Poti is nothing like Souray. They're 2 completely different types of Dmen and Poti's much worse in every aspect save maybe for mobility.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 03:19 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Poti is nothing like Souray. They're 2 completely different types of Dmen and Poti's much worse in every aspect save maybe for mobility.
Doesn't Poti sound like Hainsey Sr. in mnay ways ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 03:50 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

Poti is not coming here.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 03:56 PM
digitalmonkey*