HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Poti rumour...

Old
07-04-2006, 04:07 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
My take on Poti,

His first season with the Rangers he was fine, we played with Leetch and he put up good numbers. 2 years ago when Leetch left and he played like crap. He was playing horrible defense, he didnt hit and his offense was usually not there. This past season though I really didn't mind the guy, his offense pretty much went bye bye but he played MUCH better defensively and rarely had a bad game. He also took the body a lot more then he has in the past which was another plus. What im trying to say is IMO he wasn't a disappointment this season and a reason why fans didnt boo him everytime he touched the puck (like they did 2 years ago).

But a 3.75 million contract is way to much. He should be making under 2.5 million.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Doesn't Poti sound like Hainsey Sr. in mnay ways ?
Well I have no idea about Poti's attitude and work ethic but they do seem to play an awfully similar game, full of the same soft, careless and bonehead plays.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 05:26 PM
frolov_kovalev*

Hello? Poti is so much better than Bouillon, Spector confirms it.

frolov_kovalev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 05:33 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolov_kovalev View Post
That may be the case but we already have Boullion signed to a retirement deal and Poti is in no way capable of replacing Souray so it makes zero sense.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Bouchard

Please Gainey, don't get Poti, for the love of god he is brutal.

Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 05:36 PM
xander

I can't believe that anone would charecterize Poti as physical. He's the definition of a guy who has size but never uses it, he doesn't have a physical edge to speak of.

As flyline said, he wasn't awful this year, and he even had a good game or two, but he only started giving a real effort after he was benched durring the early part of the season.

Does he have talent? Yes, but at this point no one's really expecting him to put it together, he's had more than enough chances. And for that money? I'm really sorry for you guys if it's true.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
irony, I suppose...

ISLES INTERESTED IN POTI?

NEWSDAY: Alan Hahn reports the NY Islanders will now shift their attention toward signing a puck-moving defenceman. "Tom Poti, who spent the past three-plus seasons as a Ranger, is one potential target", writes Hahn.

Spector's Note: Altogether now, Rangers fans: "You'll be sooorryyy!"

Poti is such a big defensive liability and the offensive upside isn't big enough to justify it

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 05:37 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Anyone have Poti's address? Wanna send him a PBJ sammich just to make absolutely sure this deal doesn't go down?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 05:41 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Well I have no idea about Poti's attitude and work ethic but they do seem to play an awfully similar game, full of the same soft, careless and bonehead plays.
hainsey was +13 with the jackets last season (tops last season for the team). he's hardly the defensive liability you think he is when 80% of the players on the jackets roster are minus players.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 05:44 PM
tinyzombies

This would be a complete disaster. So would Hrdina. I hope these are cynical rumours.

It's not just that Poti is a defensive liability and a dumb offensive player, but he doesn't hit and floats too. A terrible player. I would much rather have Brisebois back than him, and for me, that is saying something.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 05:51 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Thanks for the lowdown Frozenrubber. I'll be like most in this thread, and pass on Mr. Poti...hopefully BG will too.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
hainsey was +13 with the jackets last season (tops last season for the team). he's hardly the defensive liability you think he is when 80% of the players on the jackets roster are minus players.
I've seen Hainsey play and stall here for 4 years, I know he's a defensive liability, unless trading him to Columbus magically changed the player he is, and his +/- stat means squat about that.

Old
07-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
I'll cry if that's true. He's a much worst Brisebois.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 06:14 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
I've seen Hainsey play and stall here for 4 years, I know he's a defensive liability, unless trading him to Columbus magically changed the player he is, and his +/- stat means squat about that.
in those 4 years has hainsey EVER been given a decent chance at cracking the habs lineup? no. even though he outplayed mark streit in the preseason..the coaching brass opted to go with streit because they had contractually obliged to play streit in a certain amount of games.

did you watch him play in columbus? doubt it. what am i using to conclude that he's a better defensive player than you suggest? evidence from his play in columbus last season.

of course his +/- means squat, because it negates the point that you're making. if his +/- was -30 you'd use it as a crucial determinant to say that he's bad defensively.

i for one live in the west, and have seen atleast half a dozen ron hainsey games. he played damn well for the jackets this prior season. him having the best +/- on the team while averaging around 18 minutes of ice team is good enough statistical evidence to prove my point. considering you didn't watch him this year, i guess that's what you'll have to go by.

just because the habs management let hainsey go, doesn't mean he 'suck'.

Old
07-04-2006, 06:34 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

rumours never happens with Gainey, when will you guys understand.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 06:48 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
rumours never happens with Gainey, when will you guys understand.
Yeah, I mean, it's not like people were talking about Theo to Colorado months before it happened or anything. Gainey's not negotiating with himself for christ sakes... even if Gainey was 100% silent during trade negotiations (which I don't think is particularly true), do you think he holds the players, their families, the agents, the other gm, coaches, assistants all hostage in his basement until the memo is faxed to head offices? Get real for a second.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
in those 4 years has hainsey EVER been given a decent chance at cracking the habs lineup? no. even though he outplayed mark streit in the preseason..the coaching brass opted to go with streit because they had contractually obliged to play streit in a certain amount of games.

did you watch him play in columbus? doubt it. what am i using to conclude that he's a better defensive player than you suggest? evidence from his play in columbus last season.

of course his +/- means squat, because it negates the point that you're making. if his +/- was -30 you'd use it as a crucial determinant to say that he's bad defensively.

i for one live in the west, and have seen atleast half a dozen ron hainsey games. he played damn well for the jackets this prior season. him having the best +/- on the team while averaging around 18 minutes of ice team is good enough statistical evidence to prove my point. considering you didn't watch him this year, i guess that's what you'll have to go by.

just because the habs management let hainsey go, doesn't mean he 'suck'.
Fine, I'll try to erase of my memory all the bonehead plays Hainsey made time after time after time in the 4 years he was here, both in Montreal and in Hamilton, including the most recent training camp games he played here in Montreal before being waived, and think he has seen the light because he has a +/- of 13 in Columbus. Highly unlikely.

BTW, here's an other +/- stat for you :

Pierre Dagenais: 2003-04 50GP +15

I guess that means Dagenais is no defensive liability after all. We were all wrong!

Again, the +/- stat taken out of context, without matchups, linemates and role, is a meaningless stat. Feel free to disagree, but you won't convince me otherwise, I have never given any credibility to this stat when taken alone.

Old
07-04-2006, 07:16 PM
SuperUnknown

Tom Poti is terrible. He's like a non-physical Souray. Do we really want to pay him close to $4M???

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Habsfan18

I doubt Bob would give him close to 4 million. If he does I honestly question if he was drunk during the time of the offer, and i'm serious.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

By the way, can somebody else confirm that McKenzie said those things????

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 07:29 PM
frolov_kovalev*

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
By the way, can somebody else confirm that McKenzie said those things????
check spector's site.

Old
07-04-2006, 07:29 PM
frolov_kovalev*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail View Post
Tom Poti is terrible. He's like a non-physical Souray. Do we really want to pay him close to $4M???
He USED to score.

Old
07-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
check spector's site.
I just did. The only thing said about the Habs is that Bob is having a hard time convincing free agents to sign here.

It also states on the page that the Islanders could be interested in Poti.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 07:31 PM
frolov_kovalev*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
That may be the case but we already have Boullion signed to a retirement deal and Poti is in no way capable of replacing Souray so it makes zero sense.
Well, Streit can't play everyday if Komi sucks, so if Poti is signed, then Komi's odd man out.

Old
07-04-2006, 07:40 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Fine, I'll try to erase of my memory all the bonehead plays Hainsey made time after time after time in the 4 years in was here, both in Montreal and in Hamilton, including the most recent training camp games he played here in Montreal before being waived, and think he has seen the light because he has a +/- of 13 in Columbus. Highly unlikely.
You do know that Hainsey was a first round draft pick and it's common knowledge that it takes time for young defenseman to round into form? He had obvious potential to become a good defenseman, and he's proven in columbus that he could be just that ...but because you saw hainsey make a few bad plays in hamilton and montreal he's a defensive liability forever?
(Like i said, i've SEEN hainsey play this year...stop negating the most recent evidence of worth because of your ignorance)

He NEVER got a chance to play in montreal, the habs opted to go with losers like traverse and dykhuis instead. Now players like traverse and dykhuis are no where to be found, while hainsey is getting top 4 d-man minutes on a NHL team.

P.S i like how you ignored the point that Hainsey lost his job to a player that was contractually obliged to play a certain number of games. The habs didn't waive hainsey on purpose in hopes of losing him for nothing. BG actually before the 05' training camp sent a bunch GM's a notice on if they wanted to acquire hainsey, because BG didn't want to lose him for nothing as he believed the guy has some obvious value. Once again, with the minutes and responsibility hainsey has been getting now...it's obvious that the guy had some value.

Hey why don't you just ask the columbus fans on what they think of him?

Quote:
BTW, here's an other +/- stat for you :

Pierre Dagenais: 2003-04 50GP +15

I guess that means Dagenais is no defensive liability after all. We were all wrong!
Uh, What does Dagenais have to do with anything? His line with Ribs in 03/04 was a very good line for us. They created many scoring opportunities and often played against lines that weren't scoring threats. Besides +/- stats for forwards and defenseman are different. When you use the +/- stat, you use many other factors to assess it correctly. Hainsey is a d-man and pulled that +/- while playing against the top players of opposition teams. Dagenais did not.

Quote:
Again, the +/- stat taken out of context, without matchups, linemates and role, is a meaningless stat. Feel free to disagree, but you won't convince me otherwise, I have never given any credibility to this stat when taken alone.
I mentioned how he's been getting top 4 d-man type minutes (highest +/- ever for a columbus player EVER), and played against the better players of the opposition)...but you seem so adamant to stick to your beliefs that's based on the AHL from two years ago and little 10 game NHL stints where he got 5 minutes a game and no opportunity to show an ounce of worth. good job bud