HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Georges Laraque Rumor

Old
07-04-2006, 11:15 AM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
The Habs need scorers. How many goals would Georges contribute? Merci, non.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:18 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalmonkey View Post
+13 for a career is atrocious.
How is +13 atrocious? Anything above 0 is above average.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:24 AM
FinnHab

Is Laraque really the player that Habs need?? No. In my opinion last season Habs take too much stupid penalties and imagine if Laraque is our roster...?

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:25 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
I'd just like to see a players' name in a title that isn't preceded or followed by the word rumour.

Really getting tired of the speculation, subsequent wait and then disappointment when he signs elsewhere.
Well, I'm just going from memory here turnbuckle, so I'll probably miss some, but as near as I can figure, the following are or have been rumoured to be headed for Montreal:

Hrdina rumoured to have received an offer
Laraqure rumored to Habs
Poti rumoured to Habs
Shanahan has Habs on his short list

I'm sure there are or have been others. I can pretty much guarantee you that none of those guys will be a Hab just as the others "rumoured" to be headed for Montreal wound up elsewhere. That said, I do think that Gainey will pull a number on us all that will have us feeling like Souray did after Brierre faked him out of his jock strap.

I have a real simple philosophy regarding Gainey. If it's rumoured, it ain't gonna happen. Think I'm batting 1000 so far.

Cheers.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Habs need scorers. How many goals would Georges contribute? Merci, non.
Laraque can create space and bring more confidence to the our lil' forwards which could result into more goals...

I like the idea of having him and Begin on the same line against thougher opponents. Plus, both guys can actually score some goals.. wouldn't we grant ourselves with one of the best energy lines in the league by adding Laraque? I say yes.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:29 AM
turnbuckle*

So you're still "expecting the unexpected."

Good luck with that.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:29 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
Plus/Minus... the most over-simplified stat of all time. It's the reason Brian Pothier gets $2.5m a year. Giveaways/Takeaways is way better. Actually watching how a d-man handles situations is about 100 times better than any stat.
And how many games have most Habs fans seen Poti play in?

+/- is not 100% accurate but it is not totally irrelevant and it takes into account many things giveaway/takeaway doesn't. For example, if a player is a good shot blocker, his +/- would probably be better than if he wasn't. And if he's good at tying up a player in front of the net, his +/- would probably also be higher, whereas in neither of those cases, would the giveaway/takeaway be affected.

I would give Poti a chance as long as he doesn't cost too much and it's not too long term. (I'd sign him long before Laraque, whom I believe would be a waste of space and money.)

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:33 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
So you're still "expecting the unexpected."

Good luck with that.
Yup. When it comes to Gainey, it's about the only thing you can be sure of.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:20 PM
saskhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
And how many games have most Habs fans seen Poti play in?

+/- is not 100% accurate but it is not totally irrelevant and it takes into account many things giveaway/takeaway doesn't. For example, if a player is a good shot blocker, his +/- would probably be better than if he wasn't. And if he's good at tying up a player in front of the net, his +/- would probably also be higher, whereas in neither of those cases, would the giveaway/takeaway be affected.

I would give Poti a chance as long as he doesn't cost too much and it's not too long term. (I'd sign him long before Laraque, whom I believe would be a waste of space and money.)
Being in Sask, I saw a lot of Poti games with the Oil. From what I've heard from his stint with the Rags, it pretty much confirms all of what was bad about him. Giveaways and almost completely senseless in his own zone.

+/- is often a team stat. The Rangers were a good team last year. Ottawa was a great team. Pothier at over +30 has more to do with how his team plays 5 on 5 (as well as the number of SH goals for and against) than himself individually.

If you want to know if a player is a good shot blocker, look at his blocked shots stat. If you want to know how he plays in front of the net, watch him play. There is no real stat for that one. Best ask players who have played against him.

A few years back (2001-02), Karl Dykhuis was our top player in +/-. He started 2003-04 in the minors and everyone was happy.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Laraque can create space and bring more confidence to the our lil' forwards which could result into more goals...

I like the idea of having him and Begin on the same line against thougher opponents. Plus, both guys can actually score some goals.. wouldn't we grant ourselves with one of the best energy lines in the league by adding Laraque? I say yes.
I concur

Plus , Laraque is still better than Downey offensively if you compare their stats.That's while being one of the best fighter and intimidator in the league.

If the price is not too high , i say bring him in.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Breenger

Quote:
+13 for a career is atrocious.
Err... Rob Blake is a +12 for his career.

Breenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:45 PM
DeadPool

Seriously, i think Georges could become a Star in Montreal. Have him kick Chara's *** in pre-season against Boston and see how quickly he becomes a fan and 110% favorite. He could be a healthy scratch half the season and people wouldn't care. Every shift he does would be closely watched by the Bell Centre crowd. Believe me, the crowd would go wild for a big and charismatic french-speaking enforcer. The Oilers fans adored him and he wasn't even from their hometown. (A friend from Edmonton, who was at all the games, told me one of his favorite highlights of the cup run was that Georges goal in the conference final. The crowd went ape-**** for it.) Imagine a crazed Bell Centre crowd who worships Huet and Begin.

On the other side, it would pain me to see him steal a spot from the youngsters.

DeadPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool View Post
Seriously, i think Georges could become a Star in Montreal. Have him kick Chara's *** in pre-season against Boston and see how quickly he becomes a fan and 110% favorite. He could be a healthy scratch half the season and people wouldn't care. Every shift he does would be closely watched by the Bell Centre crowd. Believe me, the crowd would go wild for a big and charismatic french-speaking enforcer. The Oilers fans adored him and he wasn't even from their hometown. (A friend from Edmonton, who was at all the games, told me one of his favorite highlights of the cup run was that Georges goal in the conference final. The crowd went ape-**** for it.) Imagine a crazed Bell Centre crowd who worships Huet and Begin.

On the other side, it would pain me to see him steal a spot from the youngsters.

huet huet huuuet huett guuuii guiiiiii guiiiiiii georgeeee georgeee georgeeee huet huet huuuet huett guuuii guiiiiii

holy could be wild place . sure beats the booo's tho ill admit that

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:52 PM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breenger View Post
Err... Rob Blake is a +12 for his career.
Yeah, Rob Blake is predominantly known for his great defensive play.

Willie Mitchell is a +33 in only 322 games played and that includes a -16 he had one season.
Chris Phillips is +63 in 536 games played.
Niklas Lidstrom is a +298!
Mike Van Ryn is already a +10 in only 228 GP and that's playing with Florida and St. Louis.

Poti was +16 last season so that means he was a -3 for his career going into last season. I agree that the +/- stat is overated, but I'm not the one who brought it up in the first place. Someone posted that Poti was a +13 for his career like it was some great accomplishment.

Last edited by digitalmonkey*: 07-04-2006 at 02:02 PM.
digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I would not mind Georges on the 4th line once in a while.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
That's about the stupidest thing I've heard this week.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:08 PM
digitalmonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000 View Post
That's about the stupidest thing I've heard this week.
You obviously haven't seen him play the last few seasons.

Old
07-04-2006, 02:19 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:

Willie Mitchell is a +33 in only 322 games played and that includes a -16 he had one season.
Chris Phillips is +63 in 536 games played.
Niklas Lidstrom is a +298!
Mike Van Ryn is already a +10 in only 228 GP and that's playing with Florida and St. Louis.

Poti was +16 last season so that means he was a -3 for his career going into last season. I agree that the +/- stat is overated, but I'm not the one who brought it up in the first place. Someone posted that Poti was a +13 for his career like it was some great accomplishment.
Yet if he was a -16 it would be one of the first things brought up against him.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:19 PM
wholeshow*

when using the plus/minus to judge a players defensive abilities, you should compare it to the rest of his team instead of to a player from a different team that plays under totally different circumstances.

If you're looking at a player on the ottawa senators and the +/- is +4 (schubert) while comparing it to a guy on the blues whose a -6 (jackman) you might automatically conclude that the player on the sens is the better defensive player. But if you look at the rosters for both teams, you'll notice that jackman has the best +/- on the blues, and schubert had the worst +/- for the sens (amongst d-men that played over 30 games atleast). We all know that jackman is a stud of a d-man, so when trying to use +/- ... think about the players situation first before you blindly compare it to players from other teams.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:58 PM
digitalmonkey*

Poti is allergic to poutine; he's not comin' here.

Old
07-04-2006, 03:01 PM
emb24*

georges laraque is an acquaintance of mine - as of today he has not received any offer from the habs

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
georges laraque is an acquaintance of mine - as of today he has not received any offer from the habs
other teams showed interest?

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 03:06 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
he's in edmonton right now clearing out the dvd section at bestbuy. that's what he does EVERY tuesday,

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 04:17 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
other teams showed interest?
i didn't ask, i emailed him hoping the habs had made an offer and he said , no

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 04:18 PM