HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Petr Sykora Likely Will Not Return to the Rangers

Old
07-04-2006, 11:57 AM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
Petr Sykora Likely Will Not Return to the Rangers

As per Spectors and the New York Daily News

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-364285c.html

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:09 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post

Good, now that he's gone, I'd rather see Shanahan on Broadway.

Go get him, Slats.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:10 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Good move Glen. Make it official now. I'm not too sure about Shanny though, I'd rather have a young kid take that spot up. Use the money to get one of Barnaby or Simon or Isbister or Laraque

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Dark Knight
We The North !!

Hey Rangers fans!

I'm a Leafs fan and many of us are looking for a 1st line winger to play with Sundin this season. I havent been very familiar with Sykora's game, but I am aware that he had some good years in New Jersey. He played for you guys this past season and had an impressive plus/minus. Can you please enlighten me on how he played and if he would be a fit with Sundin?

Anything will help. Thanks!

Dark Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:18 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdY View Post
Hey Rangers fans!

I'm a Leafs fan and many of us are looking for a 1st line winger to play with Sundin this season. I havent been very familiar with Sykora's game, but I am aware that he had some good years in New Jersey. He played for you guys this past season and had an impressive plus/minus. Can you please enlighten me on how he played and if he would be a fit with Sundin?

Past his prime, he isn't the scorer he once was. He's a decent 2nd line guy now, but you're better off putting Steen with Sundin.

I will tell you one thing, he will win you a lot of shootouts with that backhand shot he has.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdY View Post
Hey Rangers fans!

If you want a legit first line winger, Sykora is not your man. Best suited for the second line as a complimentary scorer.

If we don't resign him we need to pick up another scoring winger, and bring back Rucinsky.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:21 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
If you want a legit first line winger, Sykora is not your man. Best suited for the second line as a complimentary scorer.
Is Nylander really a first line center?

He is with Jagr on his right.

Maybe Sykora is a first line wing with Sundin in the middle?

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:24 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Cullen yes, those kids I doubt will make it with the others there, if they do, it'll be from out working guys, so good for em. Hossa I don't consider a candidate, the guy doesn't belong in the NHL.
This is just out-and-out prejudice, which I realize is shared by many on this board. Down the stretch and especially in the POs Hossa was our best bottom 6 forward. And, although he has only shown it in flashes, he clearly has more offensive talent than anyone in a similar role on last year's team. He's strong, fast, excellent in the corners and keeping the puck in the zone and has improved defensively to the point where the coaching staff began using him on the PK in the last third of the year.

He's also the biggest player on the team not named Jagr or Malik, which he occasionally uses to blow people up. But because he doesn't focus on that as the core of his game or drop the gloves, people don't like him. If Hossa had even ONE fight where he beat the other guy senseless he would get a general reprieve from 95% of the people on this board. Which is frankly BS.

I recognize that his hockey sense isn't always the best and occasionally it's frustrating how close he comes to scoring while failing, but with his tools and at his age you keep a guy like that on the third line, rather than go out and get an Isbister.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Larry Melnyk

Awesome, awesome news on Sykora...A good non-signing by the Rangers...It's not that Sykora is worthless (even if I don't like his game) it's that he isn't what we need for the 2nd line that needs to offer a change up from the 1st line...I feel the same way about Cullen, but that's in another thread...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:26 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangerFan View Post
This is just out-and-out prejudice, which I realize is shared by many on this board. Down the stretch and especially in the POs Hossa was our best bottom 6 forward. And, although he has only shown it in flashes, he clearly has more offensive talent than anyone in a similar role on last year's team. He's strong, fast, excellent in the corners and keeping the puck in the zone and has improved defensively to the point where the coaching staff began using him on the PK in the last third of the year.

He's also the biggest player on the team not named Jagr or Malik, which he occasionally uses to blow people up. But because he doesn't focus on that as the core of his game or drop the gloves, people don't like him. If Hossa had even ONE fight where he beat the other guy senseless he would get a general reprieve from 95% of the people on this board. Which is frankly BS.

I recognize that his hockey sense isn't always the best and occasionally it's frustrating how close he comes to scoring while failing, but with his tools and at his age you keep a guy like that on the third line, rather than go out and get an Isbister.

That's because the guy doesn't use his size. He plays like a little girl and with his size, that is unacceptable. Sure he has talent, but he never uses it consistently, so how can we give the guy love

Old
07-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Larry Melnyk

[QUOTE=BrooklynRangerFan;5916613]This is just out-and-out prejudice, which I realize is shared by many on this board. Down the stretch and especially in the POs Hossa was our best bottom 6 forward. And, although he has only shown it in flashes, he clearly has more offensive talent than anyone in a similar role on last year's team. He's strong, fast, excellent in the corners and keeping the puck in the zone and has improved defensively to the point where the coaching staff began using him on the PK in the last third of the year.

QUOTE]

Nobody hated the Hossa deal more then I and I am no fan of Hossa and his typical inconsistencies, occasional D - lapses and his total lack of production....That being said, he was indeed a very strong forward for us in the last 10 games or so..Used his body well, cylceld well, and all in all did a fine job...Now, I wouldn't mind trading him at all but I also have no problem with him competing for a spot on the top 4 lines in camp...let the best men win...Hell, if it was based on the POs, HOLLWEG and HOSSA shoul;d be on the first line with Jagr...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:32 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
That's because the guy doesn't use his size. He plays like a little girl and with his size, that is unacceptable. Sure he has talent, but he never uses it consistently, so how can we give the guy love
TBBB, you'd be thrilled if we had a team of guys that won every fight (and fought more), but lost every game. [Okay, okay, this is hyperbole, but you get my point.]

I recognize that you're a true fan and you clearly prefer a different style of game than I do, but sometimes it's very frustrating talking with you. Your response above is a classic example - I give you plenty of reasons why he's worth keeping, but because he's big and doestn't look to hit or fight first and play the puck second, you deem him a failure.

And by the way, as I pointed out in my previous post, he does use his size to cycle in the corner and to occasionally destroy people on checks - in fact, my one lasting positive memory of the Devils series (other than the last second goal) is of him coming in to the corner against two Devils players and skating away with the puck as they both picked themselves up off the ice.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:33 PM
romba

Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post

A valid point. I think he does cut it as a 1st liner with Sundin. Sykora doesn't raise others' games, but as seen by his stint in NJ, his game can be significantly raised by others'.

romba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:38 PM
Draft Guru

Does every thread always have to go off-topic and turn into a debate about the Rangers lack of toughness and what fringe 3rd and 4th line players we should sign? Enough is enough. It's pretty much just one guy always hijacking every thread, but still, please try and stay on the topic, which is Petr Sykora. There is no reason to talk about how good a player Brad Isbister is in a thread about Petr Sykora.

Thanks.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:39 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

I don't know what your trying to say, but I didn't even mention Colton, in fact all I've said of late is he should be sent down in favor of Laraque who should go on the 4th line. Other than that I'm staying on topic

Old
07-04-2006, 01:39 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
I never thought Isbister is or was as bad as you guys are making him out to be. But oright, forget him, What's the big clog up? Hollweg, Ortmeyer, Moore, Ward, Barnaby, Simon. Not too many.
PETR Sykora (to stay on topic)

My point as you quoted was that they bring nothing else to the table than being big or punching bags.

Hollweg is a great little hitter with some skill and speed. Ortmeyer is probably one, if not the best, PKing forward on the team (Betts and Ward close behind), Moore I think is a guy who could go... but is also fast with decent playmaking abilities, Betts is a good faceoff man, plays on the PK, and can score. Hossa as was stated has a lot of intangibles outside of fighting those guys bring, plus he's younger and cheaper. We have guys like G Moore, Helminen, etc ready or near ready to contribute and if those guys sign long term, even 2 years, that puts them out of the equation.

So no I don't hate Barnaby or Simon or even Isbister but they are not right for us at this time. If we were a more solid playoff bet and we traded for one at the deadline... fine, but that's as far as I'd be willing to go at this point in time.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:40 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Does every thread always have to go off-topic and turn into a debate about the Rangers lack of toughness and what fringe 3rd and 4th line players we should sign? Enough is enough. It's pretty much just one guy always hijacking every thread, but still, please try and stay on the topic, which is Petr Sykora. There is no reason to talk about how good a player Brad Isbister is in a thread about Petr Sykora.

Thanks.
Yes sir. The only thing is that I was pleased with the non-signing of Sykora and I went on to state what we should do now that he's gone. I'm sorry, I felt that it tied into the thread

Old
07-04-2006, 01:41 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
PETR Sykora (to stay on topic)

My point as you quoted was that they bring nothing else to the table than being big or punching bags.

Hollweg is a great little hitter with some skill and speed. Ortmeyer is probably one, if not the best, PKing forward on the team (Betts and Ward close behind), Moore I think is a guy who could go... but is also fast with decent playmaking abilities, Betts is a good faceoff man, plays on the PK, and can score. Hossa as was stated has a lot of intangibles outside of fighting those guys bring, plus he's younger and cheaper. We have guys like G Moore, Helminen, etc ready or near ready to contribute and if those guys sign long term, even 2 years, that puts them out of the equation.

So no I don't hate Barnaby or Simon or even Isbister but they are not right for us at this time. If we were a more solid playoff bet and we traded for one at the deadline... fine, but that's as far as I'd be willing to go at this point in time.

Fair enough...I just don't expect these kids like Helminen and Moore and Callahan and Dawes to be ready

Old
07-04-2006, 01:44 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Fair enough...I just don't expect these kids like Helminen and Moore and Callahan and Dawes to be ready
Alright so if Sykora does not sign, what are we doing about that spot? It makes me wonder if management is high on one of the prospects, seeking a trade, or signing a UFA.

And TBBB we won't know if they are ready if there aren't any spots to contest.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:49 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Alright so if Sykora does not sign, what are we doing about that spot? It makes me wonder if management is high on one of the prospects, seeking a trade, or signing a UFA.

And TBBB we won't know if they are ready if there aren't any spots to contest.

Correct. So let's let it play itself out. Hopefully Nigel is ready cause he'd be the best fit

Old
07-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
The only one out of those players that I see challenging for a spot on the 3rd/4th lines is Helminen. Moore and Callahan definitely need one more season in the AHL. Dawes could surprise people and take a spot on the big club but ya never know.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:03 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post

Nylander isnt really a first line center, but as long as he can set up Jagr he does the job. It works well because he is an outstanding playmaker, but thats about it. But that's all Jagr needs.

Sykora isn't really a playmaker, or a finisher.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Ke11y96

can prucha play right wing??

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:10 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post

Would be nice if there was a quote in the article, or even if the article said "not likely return".

"Nor have the Rangers pursued a new deal with Petr Sykora" could mean many things.

abev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:15 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Well I'm going to miss his sick back handed shots that he roofs into the top right corner to win shootouts.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote