HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal and free agents (Gazette article)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Chet-Nick

vCash: 500
Montreal and free agents (Gazette article)

Pat Hickey right is on the money. Between the tabloid styled French media along with separatist politicians and columnists. These people have alienated their province (and the Canadiens) for the sake of ardent nationalism. If you have any doubts. Read the article below. Quite factual.

Luring players proves tough for Canadiens

PAT HICKEY
The Gazette
Tuesday, July 04, 2006

When Bob Gainey delivered his post-mortem after the Canadiens were bounced from the playoffs, he talked about selling free agents on the benefits of playing in Montreal.

After three days of what appear to be unproductive negotiations, the quick assessment would be that Gainey isn't a very good salesman.

But it might just be that, assuming the Canadiens have been in the ballpark during what appears to be a return to boom times for the players, the cons of playing in Montreal far outweigh the pros.

We're all aware of the cons. High taxes, political uncertainty, the language question and English schools, which are closed to some. This year, Canadiens captain Saku Koivu was questioned about his reluctance to speak French. It would be easy to dismiss the resultant media flap as the work of zealots, but the question of language is never far from the minds of many Quebecers.....

Last edited by montreal: 07-04-2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: copyright
Old
07-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet-Nick View Post
Pat Hickey right is on the money. Between the tabloid styled French media along with separatist politicians and columnists. These people have alienated their province (and the Canadiens) for the sake of ardent nationalism. If you have any doubts. Read the article below. Quite factual.

Luring players proves tough for Canadiens

PAT HICKEY
The Gazette
Tuesday, July 04, 2006

When Bob Gainey delivered his post-mortem after the Canadiens were bounced from the playoffs, he talked about selling free agents on the benefits of playing in Montreal.

After three days of what appear to be unproductive negotiations, the quick assessment would be that Gainey isn't a very good salesman.

But it might just be that, assuming the Canadiens have been in the ballpark during what appears to be a
While this french-anglo debate must stop once and for all, on this board and anywhere in the medias, this is getting way out of hand 'cause the only debate was ''does the Habs CAPTAIN needs to speak french''. That you agree or not with the debate, I believe at one point, it had to be issued. Now that the Captain himself told us what he thought about the subject, you either have two choices, either we accept the answer, agree or not, and talk about something else or put pressure on the Habs org. and made him understand that, in Montreal, we don't care if the guy has 5 or 150 points, we don't care if he's respected or not, we don't care if he's has a heart or not, WE NEED A FRENCH CAPTAIN.

Gainey is not dumb, did answer that question as well and do believe that the Montreal Captain doesn't need to speak French. Well, that's too bad but Gainey is in charge, Boivin and Gillett have a total confidence in the guy so he's in charge and what he says is what it is. So Koivu will remain Habs Captain and that's all there is to it until Gainey get fired and the next guy believes it's important.....

BUT this has nothing, nothing, nothing, to do with the other players. Keane was never asked to speak French UNTIL he became Captain. I don't even know if Markov speaks english, does even 1 reporter from Photo Police asked him to speak French? Will Kirk Muller, a coach be asked to speak French? Will Kovy be asked to speak french, as a matter he said himself that he would take some lessons but nobody ever asked him to speak French.

So even if some, agree or not, believe that the ''does a Captain needs to speak French'' debate is stupid, well I believe that the whole issue about the language that could scare ALL the players is purely dumb. Somebody is not doing their job properly 'cause Montreal is by far one of the best place for an Anglo to be in. After a really bad bad game, how many questions does Craig Rivet has to answer compared to Steve Bégin? And how many questions does Mats Sundin has to answer?????

Language debate is the dumbest thing ever, and we, the people, and the medias, like we see with that article, keeps talking about it, on and on and on.......

Last edited by montreal: 07-04-2006 at 06:45 PM. Reason: copyright
Old
07-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Jo

Very interesting read!! Thanx

Old
07-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I wonder if this will open the eyes of the media in Montreal about how badly they treat the players.

Old
07-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I wonder if this will open the eyes of the media in Montreal about how badly they treat the players.
Sorry but again, on that subject, the only thing I see the medias being wrong, and I believe it could be enough to scare some people not all of it, is the number of journalists around the team, after a practice, after a game, everywhere....Seriously some guy from La Presse Canadienne should do the job for all the obscure TV and Radio stations....

The other thing is the incident with Koivu at the hospital. We can't begin having paparazzis out here cause the Koivu incident in the hospital, in front of Theo's home.....this has to stop. But again, the language is overplayed by a lot of people....

I think that if we would be a real winning team, true contenders year in year out, you would see that they wouldn't mind speaking French, Spanish and Italian at the same time......

Old
07-04-2006, 06:06 PM
boundless

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
Sorry but again, on that subject, the only thing I see the medias being wrong, and I believe it could be enough to scare some people not all of it, is the number of journalists around the team, after a practice, after a game, everywhere....Seriously some guy from La Presse Canadienne should do the job for all the obscure TV and Radio stations....

The other thing is the incident with Koivu at the hospital. We can't begin having paparazzis out here cause the Koivu incident in the hospital, in front of Theo's home.....this has to stop. But again, the language is overplayed by a lot of people....
would u say it's the French media that is usually the one involved in these "incidents"

would u say the french media is more "paparazzi-like" ?

Old
07-04-2006, 06:15 PM
tinyzombies

I don't understand why Hickey is bringing this up. He knows where it leads. Not a very good argument on his part imo.

Old
07-04-2006, 06:17 PM
habslife

High taxes, political uncertainty, the language question and English schools... ???

He is right for the first one but for the rest

Political uncertainty: Is it worst having ''dangerous Partie Québécois'' (who never won a referendum and probably never will) than having a President like George Bush???

Language question: You can be served in English almost anywhere in Montreal!

English schools: The first time I hear that they have no English schools (private) in Montreal.

Those are the weakest reasons I heard for not coming here. They will use those reasons only because they won't admit that they don't have the balls to take the pressure. They can't sit on their contract because fans and media won't let them. The passionate players and the warriors will come here to play because this is where you have to be to play hockey.

Old
07-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by boundless View Post
would u say it's the French media that is usually the one involved in these "incidents"

would u say the french media is more "paparazzi-like" ?
Sure but it ain't because of the language but mostly about the stupidity of some people. And stupidity doesn't only come in one language.......

Old
07-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habslife View Post
High taxes, political uncertainty, the language question and English schools... ???

Political uncertainty: Is it worst having ''dangerous Partie Québécois'' (who never won a referendum and probably never will) than having a President like George Bush???

English schools: The first time I hear that they have no English schools (private) in Montreal.

Those are the weakest reasons I heard for not coming here. They will use those reasons only because they won't admit that they don't have the balls to take the pressure. They can't sit on their contract because fans and media won't let them. The passionate players and the warriors will come here to play because this is where you have to be to play hockey.

Exactly. Let's have a winning team here, contenders like Ottawa are, but winning from time to time... , and you'll see that there will be no more languages, political, and useless debates like that.

Old
07-04-2006, 06:28 PM
boundless

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
Sure but it ain't because of the language but mostly about the stupidity of some people. And stupidity doesn't only come in one language.......
your answer is confusing.

if i was to simplify it, you are saying "yes and no" instead of giving me a definite yes or no. correct?

Old
07-04-2006, 06:47 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I had to edit the post, you can't put an entire article in your post cause it's copyrighted.

Old
07-04-2006, 06:50 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I don't think so... After gainey's doesn't sign anobody they can bash on gainey so that make them pretty happy I guess.

I like to speak french but here I can't I don't have anything about english speaking person or euro player. I don't know why a lot of people dislike them but it's a stupid debate.

Ok our captain doesn't speak french. Just learn english...

Old
07-04-2006, 06:53 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
I shouldn't be forced to go to a French school if I'm broke.

Old
07-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Erngueva

Stupid. Blame it on separatist ! How many free agents Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Ottawa signed. Is there any language problem in Detroit, Atlanta ?

Old
07-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Erngueva

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
I shouldn't be forced to go to a French school if I'm broke.
There is public english schools. I would want anyone who is ignorant, which is the majority of the board as i see to stop talking about thoses issues, it's too complicated for your IQ.

Old
07-04-2006, 06:57 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:

Quote:
Thats kinda like saying the Prime Minister will affect a signing somewhere in Canada, but on a more local basis , it might make players think twice.

Quote:
Absolutely, however, most Journalists, maybe not the local fanbase, seem to want a Francophone, or French speaking player, especially the Captain.

Quote:
I haven't heard this before either, is there some kind of quota where most must attend French only schools? or maybe a lack of English schools?

Quote:
I can see pressure being exerted to make a player play to their potential, but when was the last time a player was jumping up and down to come to Montreal, especially a Quebecer? Home town discounts seem to go to those from Ontario who want to play for Toronto, but it doesn't seem to be the rule for Quebec born players.

Old
07-04-2006, 06:58 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva View Post
There is public english schools. I would want anyone who is ignorant, which is the majority of the board as i see to stop talking about thoses issues, it's too complicated for your IQ.
Most kids aren't allowed to go to public english schools.

Old
07-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Haddock

Hickey is only stirring the same crap he denounces. Him and Jack Todd are two giant turds who never bothered to learn french after more than 20 years in town and never tried to see things from the other perspective. Whatever they have to say about the national question or the language issue is totally irrelevant. They are irrelevant.

Old
07-04-2006, 07:00 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva View Post
Ignorant? Whoa!

I and my sister weren't allowed to go to public English school.

Old
07-04-2006, 07:04 PM
tinyzombies

You think these guys send their kids to public schools anyway?

It's not a good article because it ignores the fact that Gainey was probably highly selective in the players he made offers to (Arnott and Elias let's say) and those guys all decided to play elsewhere. If you look at the UFA list, there isn't really much there that we need (unless you want to explode our defense and start over).

All this language stuff is bs imo. Montreal is a superb place to live and to play hockey. Try asking any American who grew up in some backwater state. I have US friends who have visited me up here tell me how lucky I am to be from here.

Old
07-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
Most kids aren't allowed to go to public english schools.
English speaking immigrant, temporary immigrants and english speaking quebecers can. It's all that mather in this case.

Old
07-04-2006, 07:13 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Thread closed for now, leave the langauge issue out it cause it's proven it can't be discussed without things getting out of hand.

Closed Thread