Globe on CBA and Jacobs

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2003, 02:57 AM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Globe on CBA and Jacobs

No question in my mind we are not going to be seeing hockey next year till atleast January and the true power that will end it are the veteran players. If they are going to get screwd over the next 2 or 3 years then forget it- hockey's cooked for awhile; but if the owners are smart they have a 2 or 3 year phasing period that brings the money down but allows the Hulls, Stevie Y's, Blakes, Forsbergs, Selannes, McInnis et al to still make outstanding money before they are done. These are the guys who are the 15th or 16th hole of their careers and maybe have a two years or so to make money. A one year or more work stoppage and they all retire.

The game could be great again and I'm all for cutting back in games and even increasing playoff teams (a very cute way for the owners to pocket money and lower payroll); move the nets back and increase the width of the neutral zone, and get the message out that if you take your hand of your stick in the defensive zone and place it on your oppontent you 'risk' a very good chance its going to be called. HOLDING & HOOKING together should be the number one concern with calling penalties. ALL DEFENSEMAN specifically should be aware that once they take their hands off their stick they are in danger zone. Believe me it will sink in. And refs have the safe out- "hey, your glove was off your stick and you had a grab on him". Hey, I'm not saying its automatic but when the gloves on the player and not the stick and the player appears to be held- call it. What can the player really say? "I was keeping my balance?"

I'd also cut down 2 games a month and eliminate all back to back UNLESS it involves a home and home. Last night the Stars mailed it in after they feel behind 3-1. Had the Broons gone ahead of the Sharks by 5-3 they would most likely have shut it down. I'd also try and have the playoffs be only in April and May and take over those months somewhat the way College Basketball has March Madness and MLB is going after October with the Fall Classic. Hockey shouldn't be played in June.

1. Phase down over a 3 year period to keep the current stars in the game

2. increase the neutral zone by moving the nets back but put the 3 feet on each zone in neutral zone and MAYBE eliminate the red line.

3. hands off your stick in defensive zone and on opponent should be number one penalty under scrutiny. How simple is that?

4. downsize the schedule to 72 games eliminating back to back unless same teams

5. increase playoff teams to say 20 so owners can make money and the Canadiens and Rangers will have a shot at making it more consistently. I don't really like this but it masks things and gives the owners more money assuming they don't share this gate with players- which we know they wont.

Old
11-09-2003, 07:07 AM
misterjaggers
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
...1. Phase down over a 3 year period to keep the current stars in the game

2. increase the neutral zone by moving the nets back but put the 3 feet on each zone in neutral zone and MAYBE eliminate the red line.

3. hands off your stick in defensive zone and on opponent should be number one penalty under scrutiny. How simple is that?

4. downsize the schedule to 72 games eliminating back to back unless same teams

5. increase playoff teams to say 20 so owners can make money and the Canadiens and Rangers will have a shot at making it more consistently...
These are all good ideas, but I wouldn't wait three years. We've waited long enough.

Old
11-10-2003, 03:42 AM
whatsbruin

What will be interesting is if any of these CBA
moves trickle down to the fan and we see a
decrease in ticket prices.

I'm not betting on it.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:55 AM
Terrier

No More Playoff Teams!

Please, let's eliminate any talk of adding more teams to the playoffs. With 16 out of 30 teams getting in, at least we have a little competition and suspense as teams jockey to get the last playoff spots. The only thing wrong with hockey in the 80's was that too high a percentage of teams got in(16 out of 21). Last year, Glen Sather brought up the subject of having 20 teams in the playoffs, but all he talked about was increasing revenue, not improving the game itself.

http://espn.go.com/premium/nhl/colum...ti/515848.html

Old
11-10-2003, 10:03 AM
whatsbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrier
Please, let's eliminate any talk of adding more teams to the playoffs. With 16 out of 30 teams getting in, at least we have a little competition and suspense as teams jockey to get the last playoff spots. The only thing wrong with hockey in the 80's was that too high a percentage of teams got in(16 out of 21). Last year, Glen Sather brought up the subject of having 20 teams in the playoffs, but all he talked about was increasing revenue, not improving the game itself.

http://espn.go.com/premium/nhl/colum...ti/515848.html
Glen was hoping that if they increased to 20 the Rags just might get in.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:39 AM
ron jeremy jacobs

A phase-in of a luxury tax would be one way to implement a cap. It appears that many teams are positioned for a cap right away, though. I could see that going either way.

The other rules changes really are not issues for the CBA. The NHLPA may bargain for an interest in issues like ice dimensions and eliminating the red line, so that the owners have to run changes by them before implementing them. But this is so far removed from the central issue of payroll limitation that I cannot see how it even affects a CBA negotiation.

I cannot envision a CBA where both sides willingly reduce the amount of games played. They are already fighting about whose share of the revenue pie should be reduced; why would they want to also reduce the size of the pie?

Similarly, increasing playoff participation to 20 teams will certainly be something the owners look at. The players union will have to agree to it also. But I don't think this is going to be a central issue in the CBA either. One may be tempted to think that giving up some regular season games and increasing the playoffs is just tinkering and that it will even off. But look at it more realistically and you can see that it will cost the league millions.

82 game season # of reg season games 1230
72 game season # of reg season games 1080... 150 fewer games

16 teams in playoffs, max 105 playoff games
20 teams in playoffs 12 with first round byes and 8 playing an extra round of "play-in" (can't think of how else it would work), max 133 games... extra 28 games maximum, assuming this play-in round is best-of-7.

An extra 28 games of first-round playoff revenue for four teams per conference is just not going to make up for 10 fewer games per team leaguewide.

Closed Thread