HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Keenan Fired!!!

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Vlad The Impaler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7
This was overdue. Keenan was not the right coach for this team. And the Panthers won't have too hard a time finding another coach. It's a young team with loads of talent,
Young teams full of talent can often be coach killers. The average life of a coach in the NHl is what? Between 2 and 3 years?

Solid, talented, proven core groups are what smart coaches are looking for in this league first and foremost. Of course, since the openings are few, they often have to take whatever is offered

Quote:
Reasons to coach in Florida:
1) Bouwmeester
2) Luongo is already a star entering his prime
3) Bouwmeester!!!!!!
4) Good farm system with developing prospects (Krajicek, Stewart, Novak, Taticek, etc.)
5) You don't have to shovel snow...EVER AGAIN
6) Hot women in tank tops at the Office Depot Center!
7) Blossoming stars in Jokinen, Weiss, Huselius & Horton
The farm system won't even factor more than 2% in the decision of any coach who knows how this works. They all know they better be at the right spot at the right time.

Few coaches EVER reap the rewards of their teachings. Few do with mature players and even fewer with babies like the Panthers.

Quote:
Reasons NOT to coach in Florida:
1) Cohen is a cheapskate
2) Florida fans are VERY fair weather (aka the arena is half empty, but this will be changed when the team starts winning!)
3) No more ICE CATS!

I hope Cohen learned his first lesson about long term coaching contracts...Oh well, I'm still so glad Keenan is GONE! Adios amigo... :moon:
Another incentive not to coach there: clueless GM who always aims for the bottom of the standings :p

The greater downside of taking the job in Florida is simply the on-ice product right now. Who gives a flying **** about the bright future when you know your job is on the line on a constant basis and you're paid to win or you will get canned?

That won't prevent the Panthers from finding a coach, though. There are just too few openings, even with the league up to 30 teams. Also, these are times of uncertainty and a lot of teams are simply not very competitive anyway.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:05 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildreams
dude, shut up with the attacking. first off, what percentile of goalies are stars (particularly out of the 30 starters)? i'd say each 1/6 is a different class of goalie. the true star goalies right now are only the top 6 (turco, brodeur, belfour, hasek, khabibulin, giguere). ****, luongo isn't even more accomplished than nabokov, vokoun, cechmanek, nurminen, dipietro, or lalime, or can you disprove that? please, tell me what luongo has done to solidify himself as a star? do be specific.
ED, you talk about Luongo not havin done anything. What has Turco really done past one solid year and a few games so far? He plays on a much better team, but still hasn't done anything to deserve star billing from you. Rich brought up the two things I would have said in regards to shutouts and the teams he plays on and the save % and GAA he still has. Problem here lies in you really don't kn ow what you're talkin about, as was demonstrated with your little two sidedness of Fleury on the main board.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:39 AM
evildreams

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Problem here lies in you really don't kn ow what you're talkin about, as was demonstrated with your little two sidedness of Fleury on the main board.
there you go again, ass, with your personal/non-fact based comments. total *****.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:44 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
ClashCitiRockr and evildreams, if you don't knock it off with the personal attacks, I will have to ban you. You may attack opinions, NOT the person who states the opinion. That is the essence of debate. I'm not going to issue anymore warnings.

If you think Luongo isn't or is a star the accepted way to discuss it is to provide supporting evidence and discuss it. It's not acceptable to attack the other poster because you don't like his opinion.

It really doesn't belong in this thread anyway. If you want to discuss it, start a new thread, and treat each other with respect and courtesy.

Old
11-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Acadmus

Meanwhile, in Keenanland...

We all know where he's going to land, don't we? I'm smelling a coaching change in the Big Apple.

Old
11-10-2003, 11:30 PM
patastrophe

Send a message via Yahoo to patastrophe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
ED, you talk about Luongo not havin done anything. What has Turco really done past one solid year and a few games so far? He plays on a much better team, but still hasn't done anything to deserve star billing from you. Rich brought up the two things I would have said in regards to shutouts and the teams he plays on and the save % and GAA he still has. Problem here lies in you really don't kn ow what you're talkin about, as was demonstrated with your little two sidedness of Fleury on the main board.

all the personal garbage aside...amen to the turco comment-he's absolutely killin one of my fantasy teams.

Closed Thread