HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anybody else excited?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-09-2003, 05:17 AM
  #1
bradshaw19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Anybody else excited?

Not so much about this season, although I think we can be a great team, but I'm talking about the future of the Bruins. Forget the CBA and all that crap, but the future of this team. Thornton, Bergeron, Sammy, Zino, Raycroft, Hannu, Morrison, Stuart, Lars and maybe Colton Orr. Thornton and Sammy have a while, atleast 4-5 years until they even hit their prime. Hannu figures to be the second coming of Brodeur. We even have Raycroft who looks solid as any goaltender out there. A young defense that in about 3-4 years will look like Boynton, Stuart, Morrison, Jillson and probably Lars back there. All first round selections, except for Lars I think. Someone correct me on that one. We have a capable young line up front with Thornton and we need some young wingers with talent in the system. I'm not sure about Hilberts status but he figures to either be a second line player or traded by next year. Bergeron and Sammy for years on the second line. The reason I said Colton Orr is because he looks to be the enforcer of the future. I'm excited about now and tomorrow. Hope everything plays out, sorry about the spelling.

bradshaw19 is offline  
Old
11-09-2003, 05:24 AM
  #2
HockeyGoddess
 
HockeyGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nashua, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Count me as one who's quite excited about the future of the B's. When I briefly chatted with KPD at camp and I asked him to write something more positive about the B's, he asked me if I saw anything positive here (at camp). I made mention of all the bright prospects we have... the rookies who were shining at camp (Toivonen, Bergeron, Marjamaki, Jurcina), and the rest of the kids we have playing in Providence.

Definitely something to be excited/positive about!

HockeyGoddess is offline  
Old
11-09-2003, 05:44 AM
  #3
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 32,192
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGoddess
Count me as one who's quite excited about the future of the B's. When I briefly chatted with KPD at camp and I asked him to write something more positive about the B's, he asked me if I saw anything positive here (at camp). I made mention of all the bright prospects we have... the rookies who were shining at camp (Toivonen, Bergeron, Marjamaki, Jurcina), and the rest of the kids we have playing in Providence.

Definitely something to be excited/positive about!
It must have worked because KDP has spoken how this team's base is very talented- and Boynton and Jillson should be mentioned also. Bottom line is with good health the Broons should be in the mix year in and year out for the next several years.

DKH is offline  
Old
11-09-2003, 05:49 AM
  #4
HockeyGoddess
 
HockeyGoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nashua, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
It must have worked because KDP has spoken how this team's base is very talented- and Boynton and Jillson should be mentioned also. Bottom line is with good health the Broons should be in the mix year in and year out for the next several years.
I fully agree that Boynton and Jillson are the core of our D, and hopefully for numerous years to come. The B's have a wealth of talent on the ice this year, and a good deal of depth with the players in Providence and juniors. Should definitely keep the B's in the mix (maintaining good overall health) for the foreseeable future.

HockeyGoddess is offline  
Old
11-09-2003, 05:54 AM
  #5
Bruzin
Registered User
 
Bruzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Berlin
Country: Germany
Posts: 822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw19
A young defense that in about 3-4 years will look like Boynton, Stuart, Morrison, Jillson and probably Lars back there. All first round selections, except for Lars I think. Someone correct me on that one.
Of all of our promising defencemen, Lars Jonsson was drafted the highest. He was the 7th overall pick in 2000. Lets hope that he'll be able to come over next year and see if he can merit that high draft position. I think the wait will be worth it. He'll complement the offence of Jillson (and maybe Girard).

Bruzin is offline  
Old
11-09-2003, 06:05 AM
  #6
Beezy
Registered User
 
Beezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Belmont MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Beezy
[QUOTE=bradshaw19]Not so much about this season, although I think we can be a great team, but I'm talking about the future of the Bruins. Forget the CBA and all that crap....

All too hard to forget about the CBA. As I was reading Dupont's column this morning, all I could think about is a solid year or more of a lockout and how that will play with Bergeron and the rest's development.

I completely agree with your message about the young guns though. It is the primary reason I feel more excited this year than last.

Behind Bergeron, I am most impressed by Raycroft. He has been a rock so far.And after all, he can influence a game 3x as much as one forward can. Of course, the real test will be playoff time, should we get there with a strong finish this season. I knew people said he could play and he showed some good things in a few starts last season, but he's holding up well against some strong opponents and over 8-9 starts.

Beezy is offline  
Old
11-09-2003, 07:29 AM
  #7
BruinFan42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 561
vCash: 500
Don't forget about Girard as well. Doctors say it's likely he'll be able to play hockey once again and he's going to be a force in about 3 or 4 years too...

BruinFan42 is offline  
Old
11-09-2003, 09:22 PM
  #8
nhlbruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New England
Country: United States
Posts: 1,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42
Don't forget about Girard as well. Doctors say it's likely he'll be able to play hockey once again and he's going to be a force in about 3 or 4 years too...
Let's hope so...if he has the courage and determination to fight his way back from being immobilized in the hospital to dishing checks and rushing the puck up the ice in a season or two, he's a lock for the Masterton trophy...and deservedly so.

nhlbruin is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 02:34 AM
  #9
Stock Rocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Billerica, Mass.
Posts: 3,947
vCash: 500
It's exciting to see so many young players in the mix. I don't know whether these guys will step it up and prove they belong, but for once- the B's have some promise there instead of going out and signing the other teams' cast-offs like Jeff Zehr.

Stock Rocks is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 04:49 AM
  #10
Kirk- NEHJ
Registered User
 
Kirk- NEHJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CAV Country!
Country: United States
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks
It's exciting to see so many young players in the mix. I don't know whether these guys will step it up and prove they belong, but for once- the B's have some promise there instead of going out and signing the other teams' cast-offs like Jeff Zehr.
Next month's issue of NEHJ is our annual Bruins prospect report.

Needless to say, I had a devil of a time coming up with the top-10 list. There are so many good prospects in the system.

Here's the top 3:

Hannu Toivonen
Mark Stuart
Milan Jurcina

For the rest, you have to subscribe! :p

Kirk- NEHJ is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 05:29 AM
  #11
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinFan42
Don't forget about Girard as well. Doctors say it's likely he'll be able to play hockey once again and he's going to be a force in about 3 or 4 years too...
The doctors say he is going to be a force in 3-4 years?? Wow, they must have some great doctors in Canada!

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 05:41 AM
  #12
Gee Wally
Grumpy
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 39,034
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ


For the rest, you have to subscribe! :p

I'll be checking my mailbox...best $ 24 I ever spent ..

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 05:45 AM
  #13
Kirk- NEHJ
Registered User
 
Kirk- NEHJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CAV Country!
Country: United States
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
I'll be checking my mailbox...best $ 24 I ever spent ..
And your check is in the mail, Wally...

The prospect rankings and profiles article comes out in December. I did a Hartford Whalers tribute piece on the '86 Forever 500's (a nod to our hubofhockey there) for the November issue...

Kirk- NEHJ is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 06:26 AM
  #14
ThorntoNeely198
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
The doctors say he is going to be a force in 3-4 years?? Wow, they must have some great doctors in Canada!
Excellent use of semantics and sarcasm to make someone look stupid because they forgot to use a comma! It really took the thread in a new direction --- you know, directly away from sincerity and good manners.



Keep up the good work.

As for that prospect list, I'm looking forward to seeing it Kirk. Couldn't agree more about Toivonen and Jurcina, and I'm hoping maybe you've got a little more information about Stuart so we can start to get an idea of what to expect from him.

Is every issue of NEHJ available at the Fleet or is it just placed sporadically? I would subscribe, but our front porch gets just slightly more rainfall annually than the Amazon, and our mailman likes to throw the least waterproof pieces of mail we get into puddles for fun.

ThorntoNeely198 is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 06:45 AM
  #15
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntoNeely198
Excellent use of semantics and sarcasm to make someone look stupid because they forgot to use a comma! It really took the thread in a new direction --- you know, directly away from sincerity and good manners.



Keep up the good work.

As for that prospect list, I'm looking forward to seeing it Kirk. Couldn't agree more about Toivonen and Jurcina, and I'm hoping maybe you've got a little more information about Stuart so we can start to get an idea of what to expect from him.

Is every issue of NEHJ available at the Fleet or is it just placed sporadically? I would subscribe, but our front porch gets just slightly more rainfall annually than the Amazon, and our mailman likes to throw the least waterproof pieces of mail we get into puddles for fun.
I guess you fall into the category of not having any sense of humor. It was a joke dude, get over yourself.

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 07:07 AM
  #16
Kirk- NEHJ
Registered User
 
Kirk- NEHJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CAV Country!
Country: United States
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntoNeely198
As for that prospect list, I'm looking forward to seeing it Kirk. Couldn't agree more about Toivonen and Jurcina, and I'm hoping maybe you've got a little more information about Stuart so we can start to get an idea of what to expect from him.

Is every issue of NEHJ available at the Fleet or is it just placed sporadically? I would subscribe, but our front porch gets just slightly more rainfall annually than the Amazon, and our mailman likes to throw the least waterproof pieces of mail we get into puddles for fun.
Stuart: He is what he is: a mobile, physical "hit to hurt you" defenseman who is compared to Scott Stevens in terms of what he brings to the table defensively, toughness and intangibles-wise. However, he doesn't have that offensive capability that Stevens possessed in his prime. Stuart will be a very good NHLer for years, but probably won't be an All-Star. Think of a meaner, faster Dan McGillis and you begin to zero in on who Stuart's upside is.

Every issue is available at the Fleet at some point. We normally go to print on the second week of the month, so if I were a betting man, I'd say that if you attend the B's game on December 18th vs. Calgary, copies will be available.

EDIT: When I say that Stuart "hits to hurt you" I'm not saying that he's a dirty player. He's just very competitive and plays a very punishing physical style. One NHL scout I talked to about him said that Stuart is "just nasty to play against- the kind of guy that when you see his name on the lineup card, you get that feeling down in the pit of your stomach."

That's a heck of an endorsement, but Stuart is limited in terms of offensive skills and upside. He's going to be a very solid defender who has the ability to move the puck up and out of the zone, but don't expect a lot of goals and points from him. That will be what Lars Jonsson is asked to do for the B's.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 07:33 AM
  #17
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 30,013
vCash: 500
kirk- would you say stuart is similar to kyle mclaren?

neelynugs is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 08:50 AM
  #18
whatsbruin
Registered User
 
whatsbruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Central, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
kirk- would you say stuart is similar to kyle mclaren?
Boy I hope not.

Injury plagued, hands of stone, not much improvement in his
game over this career.

Thats what I think of Kyle Mclaren.
Yes, I know he makes some big hits some times.

whatsbruin is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 08:51 AM
  #19
Kirk- NEHJ
Registered User
 
Kirk- NEHJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CAV Country!
Country: United States
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
kirk- would you say stuart is similar to kyle mclaren?
In style, yes- but Stuart is a far more involved leader and competitor, I think.

You won't have the inconsistency issues with Stuart that we saw from McLaren, IMO.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 08:54 AM
  #20
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ
In style, yes- but Stuart is a far more involved leader and competitor, I think.

You won't have the inconsistency issues with Stuart that we saw from McLaren, IMO.
Kirk, is there a chance Stuart leaves college after this year or will he go back for at least one more? I am not looking to rush him, but he seems physically mature and knows the defensive part of the game well enough that he might benefit more from going pro than staying for a third year in College. What do you think?

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 09:12 AM
  #21
Terrier
Registered User
 
Terrier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 500
McGillis

We need to give a lot of credit to Dan McGillis. He had a game-high plus-3 on Saturday night against Dallas and helped set up the Samsonov goal with a diving play in the Bruins' zone.

http://bruins.bostonherald.com/bruin...g?articleid=99

We all have had our complaints about how the Bruins are run, and last year's collapse is on everyone's minds, but right now our B's seem to have their heads on straight as an organization. The improved scouting is paying off big time, and we have a coach who doesn't appear likely to alienate anyone. I'm glad we're not suffering any of the type of garbage that goes on in Chicago.

Terrier is offline  
Old
11-10-2003, 01:15 PM
  #22
Kirk- NEHJ
Registered User
 
Kirk- NEHJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: CAV Country!
Country: United States
Posts: 12,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Kirk, is there a chance Stuart leaves college after this year or will he go back for at least one more? I am not looking to rush him, but he seems physically mature and knows the defensive part of the game well enough that he might benefit more from going pro than staying for a third year in College. What do you think?
It's possible that he leaves, but to be honest- with a potential extended work stoppage looming in the NHL, my guess is that he stays in school for at least one more year.

I think a lot of it will depend on what CC does this season (they barely missed out on the Frozen Four last year) and whether the Bruins think it is worth it for him to make the jump to pro hockey at age 20. I think they'll probably advise him to stay in school, but it will be a situation to keep an eye on.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.