HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rumour: Habs sign ...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2006, 12:32 PM
  #26
Pat
Registered User
 
Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
I can't believe I'm actually listening to that doc Mailloux's show...just in case Villenueve comes on to repeat that rumour of signings

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:33 PM
  #27
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,945
vCash: 50
I don't know details about Villeneuve's vacations...but he is on vacation from CKAC for sure. Christian Gauthier replaces him.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
  #28
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Sykora is not better than Zednik or Bulis, or even Perezhogin or Kostitsyn. Poti is not better than... Streit. So really, this would be a colossal waste of money. It sort of reads like Villeneuve is getting desperate for something to talk about, and the past exploits of those two players seemed like it would make them interesting, in the mind of somebody who doesn't follow the game outside of Montreal?

Now, when desperation sets in for the players themselves, then maybe Sykora or Poti would be worth looking at on 1-year contracts for under $1M as reclamation projects/gambles. But the numbers quoted make no sense whatsoever.
There's a big possibility Villeneuve never said this to begin with.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:37 PM
  #29
wholeshow*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Sykora is not better than Zednik or Bulis, or even Perezhogin or Kostitsyn. Poti is not better than... Streit. So really, this would be a colossal waste of money. It sort of reads like Villeneuve is getting desperate for something to talk about, and the past exploits of those two players seemed like it would make them interesting, in the mind of somebody who doesn't follow the game outside of Montreal?

Now, when desperation sets in for the players themselves, then maybe Sykora or Poti would be worth looking at on 1-year contracts for under $1M as reclamation projects/gambles. But the numbers quoted make no sense whatsoever.

agreed with poti (he's trash), disagree with Sykora. just look at his career totals and compare them to the likes of zednik and bulis. ..now tell me who's better? Perezhogin and kost will probably see time on the 3rd line with plekanecs, while seeing around 15+minutes a game (which is pretty good imo) at the start of the season. We need a proven 2nd line forward, and if shanahan prices himself out of the equation...why not sykora? The only other option is samsonov and he won't sign anywhere for under 4 million (yet to score 30 goals in his career), imo.


p.s i don't think this rumor is true,
but it's kind of fun to speculate regardless.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:39 PM
  #30
Adriatic
Registered User
 
Adriatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,572
vCash: 500
I can't see Gainey bringing Poti here. The guy is a turnover machine and definately not good enough offensively to make up for his atrocious defense. Please let that not be true, Poti isn't even good enough to play in the Rangers lineup..I hope to god this is BS!

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:42 PM
  #31
habsprospects
Irresponsible User
 
habsprospects's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Sykora - 3 years $9 million
Poti - 2 years $5 million

(the amounts are total value of contract, not per year amounts)

This according to Michel Villeneuve on CKAC (yeah I know ...)

I read this on Habfans, so please dont shoot the messenger.

If this is true, I dont care either way. It's just signings which will allow us to deal off players now.

At least the whiners will now be happy .... YAY, We signed someone.
Poti

__________________

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:43 PM
  #32
oli500
Registered User
 
oli500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
If the Sykora rumor comes true, sykora would be a nice addition to are second line, and if we can somehow convince shanahan to come to montreal are offence is looking good for next year. I could care less about poti, just another body. this signing cant be worse than the hall gill signing from the leafs, poti would most likely be are 6 or 7 d while gill would be the leafs 4 defencemen

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:45 PM
  #33
e-e
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: here
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBell View Post
I really hope neither of those two signing will really occurs. That would be awful. 3millions a year for Sykora is too much.

Why not going with Shanahan with a contract of 2 years at 3.5 per year and offer a long term deal to samsonov at around 3.5-4 per years
i don't understand why you guys want shanahan that much. we are not a contender in next few years...what's the point to sign 38 old vet on team and spend 3-5 / year? am i missing something here? it's not like signing a guy who is in late 30's who will be part of the habs in 5 years....we are getting ready for next 5- 10 years...i have a feeling.
i'd personaly get rid of no future guys even for free bonk, zednik, ribs,...and biuld a young team for next decade. we certainly have a great young generation coming up...i know that need some vet to grow up with...but shanahan? comon!!

i'd fully support long term for great guys under 30...leaders, gamebrakers,....

as much as i like saku koivu...i think we need a leader who can play all season...or close to it....like smith....or something similar ...

just my 2 cents

e-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:46 PM
  #34
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Sykora is not better than Zednik or Bulis, or even Perezhogin or Kostitsyn. Poti is not better than... Streit. So really, this would be a colossal waste of money. It sort of reads like Villeneuve is getting desperate for something to talk about, and the past exploits of those two players seemed like it would make them interesting, in the mind of somebody who doesn't follow the game outside of Montreal?

Now, when desperation sets in for the players themselves, then maybe Sykora or Poti would be worth looking at on 1-year contracts for under $1M as reclamation projects/gambles. But the numbers quoted make no sense whatsoever.
I pray so hard that you're right. I haven't whined about anything so far into free agency mayhem but if BG was to do something as stupid as sign Sykora and Poti for 5M total my faith in Bob would be seriously shaken. I just can't believe he'd be that stupid. Sykora and Poti are exactly what we should stay as far away from when we look at our current needs (unless becoming even softer is suddenly a new priority).

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:46 PM
  #35
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-e View Post
i don't understand why you guys want shanahan that much. we are not a contender in next few years...what's the point to sign 38 old vet on team and spend 3-5 / year? am i missing something here? it's not like signing a guy who is in late 30's who will be part of the habs in 5 years....we are getting ready for next 5- 10 years...i have a feeling.
i'd personaly get rid of no future guys even for free bonk, zednik, ribs,...and biuld a young team for next decade. we certainly have a great young generation coming up...i know that need some vet to grow up with...but shanahan? comon!!

i'd fully support long term for great guys under 30...leaders, gamebrakers,....

as much as i like saku koivu...i think we need a leader who can play all season...or close to it....like smith....or something similar ...

just my 2 cents
Shanahan is a leader who can play all season.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:49 PM
  #36
e-e
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: here
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Shanahan is a leader who can play all season.
for how long?...2years?..is that what we're looking for?

e-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:50 PM
  #37
Dr_Hook
Registered User
 
Dr_Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-e View Post
we are not a contender in next few years...
We are not ?? And why not ? Were Carolina and Edmonton on your very prestigious list of contenders this year ?

We want Shanny cause he'd help short term while providing some good veteran leadership to a team filled with young forwards.

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:50 PM
  #38
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,945
vCash: 50
Let's see what CKAC's news bulletin has to say...

- Charles "Chuck" Guite wants a new trial, and wants to be freed.
- Kenneth Lay kicks the bucket.
- People are searching for the body of a drowned man in Trois-Rivieres
- Tickets for the Simple Plan benefit concert went on sale today

SPORTS

- World Cup News
- Wimbledon News
- Cole signs with Carolina

NO RUMOR. NO SIGNING. IT'S BOVINE EXCREMENT.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:51 PM
  #39
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,136
vCash: 500
I can't believe Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau, two of the hardest players that have played the game for the Habs, when they think of building a winning team and looking for some players to go in that direction think of ......TOM POTI AND PETR SYKORA!!!

Sykora, well we can discuss it and still think it's better any other option than him, in the end I wouldn't mind that much. But how can he seriously think of getting Poti, the only player to have a consensus on the guy, which is a bad player, that will cost you more than will give you.....

The only thing I can base myself to think that Gainey would want Poti is by looking at this year's draft. We got Fischer and Carle, two of the greatest passers and puck moving d-men of the draft and good skaters as well. Well just that are the only good things about Poti. Neither of our drafted guys are know for their physical play and especially Carle could be know for his defensive breakdowns. You then can think that Gainey believes now more in fluid skaters, great passers for the transition game than he believes in the physical aspect of it. Poti can't clear the net, well with the new rules you're not allowed to so why bother???? (Again, I'm just trying to get into the darkest place in Gainey's mind to somewhat explain that possible acquisition....)

The only other reason, well since everybody think we payed Bouillon too much for a #5 -#6, well acquiring Poti means Bouillon is one rank higher, though a salary more acceptable.....

But joke aside, I really really hope for that rumor is just that, a joke, a bad one, and do not believe that a great Gm would do that kind of move. If he does, I will revisit what I think about Bob, and not in a good way......

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:51 PM
  #40
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
I can't see Gainey bringing Poti here. The guy is a turnover machine and definately not good enough offensively to make up for his atrocious defense. Please let that not be true, Poti isn't even good enough to play in the Rangers lineup..I hope to god this is BS!
Poti is the new breisbois

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:51 PM
  #41
BORAT
Registered User
 
BORAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kazakhstan
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 2,774
vCash: 500
AH I respect you my friend ... but I'm very uneasy about these players : Poti can be a nut job at times and Sykora ... well ... I guess we wait and see ...

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:51 PM
  #42
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-e View Post
for how long?...2years?..is that what we're looking for?
Some guys are mutants. Chelios is 44 and played a full season.

Shanahan last missed more than 4 games in a season in 1999, when he missed 8 games. He doesn't get injured.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:51 PM
  #43
wholeshow*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500 View Post
If the Sykora rumor comes true, sykora would be a nice addition to are second line, and if we can somehow convince shanahan to come to montreal are offence is looking good for next year. I could care less about poti, just another body. this signing cant be worse than the hall gill signing from the leafs, poti would most likely be are 6 or 7 d while gill would be the leafs 4 defencemen
it's either shanahan or sykora, can't have both. with shanahan's demands, i'd go with sykora. if either are signed, they should be signed at 2 years TOPS with a team option for a third.

If BG adds a winger, it will be all but certain that zednik is outsville.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:51 PM
  #44
sposman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Poti sucks. I could see Sykora, wouldn't mind him at all. That said, I'd rather take the the near six million year and just give it to Shanny, he'd be a bigger help than the two of these guys.

sposman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:52 PM
  #45
KaptainKourage*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St-Georges de Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,151
vCash: 500
You know the little yellow duck as Display pic on MSN ? Ba, I trust more this little duck than Michelle Villeneuve

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:52 PM
  #46
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Let's see what CKAC's news bulletin has to say...

- Charles "Chuck" Guite wants a new trial, and wants to be freed.
- Kenneth Lay kicks the bucket.
- People are searching for the body of a drowned man in Trois-Rivieres
- Tickets for the Simple Plan benefit concert went on sale today

SPORTS

- World Cup News
- Wimbledon News
- Cole signs with Carolina

NO RUMOR. NO SIGNING. IT'S BOVINE EXCREMENT.

QFT, Read Above.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:52 PM
  #47
wholeshow*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
AH I respect you my friend ... but I'm very uneasy about these players : Poti can be a nut job at times and Sykora ... well ... I guess we wait and see ...
where's that rumorlady, borat??

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:52 PM
  #48
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
There's a big possibility Villeneuve never said this to begin with.
Well whoever said it, the same thing applies. (The original poster indicated Villeneuve. Substitute his name with anybody who says it, then. ).

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:53 PM
  #49
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov#79 View Post
You know the little yellow duck as Display pic on MSN ? Ba, I trust more this little duck than Michelle Villeneuve
He never said it. It's all BS.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:53 PM
  #50
Pat
Registered User
 
Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
it's either shanahan or sykora, can't have both. with shanahan's demands, i'd go with sykora. if either are signed, they should be signed at 2 years TOPS with a team option for a third.

If BG adds a winger, it will be all but certain that zednik is outsville.
agreed

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.