HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumour: Habs sign ...

Old
07-05-2006, 12:54 PM
e-e

vCash: 500
in 5 years we could be where sens ahs been for last few years. with guys like hossa, havlat, spezza, chara, maszaros, fisher, ...guys like perezogin, plekanec, price, komisarek, higgins,... and some of the guys form last 2-3 years drafts...

young, fast, guys form habs farm....thats my point.

in few years we if we feel that we are getting close to our goal...we might ger some rental like shanny, kovalev...but for next 2 years...i can't see why we would do that

e-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 12:57 PM
couris

everyone is better than zednik. He only got 1 trick/move/deke that he use to lose the puck at the end.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Dr_Hook

I still don't get why we wouldn't sign a veteran now. It's not costing us any assets. Should we start the season with a 37 mill payroll and sit on the money until we feel we are cup bound ? I wouldn't sacrifice any of our young player in a trade but on the UFA, it's free !! Let's assemble the best team possible and then we'll see if we are contenders or not

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
agreed with poti (he's trash), disagree with Sykora. just look at his career totals and compare them to the likes of zednik and bulis. ..now tell me who's better? Perezhogin and kost will probably see time on the 3rd line with plekanecs, while seeing around 15+minutes a game (which is pretty good imo) at the start of the season. We need a proven 2nd line forward, and if shanahan prices himself out of the equation...why not sykora? The only other option is samsonov and he won't sign anywhere for under 4 million (yet to score 30 goals in his career), imo.
Last season there was a lot of talk about us getting Sykora too. I started paying a bit more attention to him. After he moved to the Rangers we got to see a couple of his more decent games. But even in his decent games he looked awfully floaty and out of touch at times to me. According to Rangers fans, he subsequently vanished entirely in many others.

Now, if we truly are dumping Bulis and Zednik, we do have a couple of holes to fill. And as a gamble, I can see Sykora as an adequate gap-filler. I don't see him as a long term solution, however. He has the appearance of being a player who is fading fast. But as you say, he's still relatively young and maybe has some recovery left in him. Sort of like Zednik, really. But there's no way I put more than a 1-year deal on the table for that sort of gap-filling gamble. And if he doesn't want a 1-year deal, that's a-ok with me, because I'm pretty sure that one of Perezhogin or Kostitsyn can score as many goals as he can. They may not have as much experience to offer in terms of a two-way game or doing some of the "little things" that Sykora would, but it's not a lot of skin off my teeth to just let them learn.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Kafka

Still, this rumor coudn't be found yet on either Spector's blog or Hadley's blog......

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:09 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Last season there was a lot of talk about us getting Sykora too. I started paying a bit more attention to him. After he moved to the Rangers we got to see a couple of his more decent games. But even in his decent games he looked awfully floaty and out of touch at times to me. According to Rangers fans, he subsequently vanished entirely in many others.

Now, if we truly are dumping Bulis and Zednik, we do have a couple of holes to fill. And as a gamble, I can see Sykora as an adequate gap-filler. I don't see him as a long term solution, however. He has the appearance of being a player who is fading fast. But as you say, he's still relatively young and maybe has some recovery left in him. Sort of like Zednik, really. But there's no way I put more than a 1-year deal on the table for that sort of gap-filling gamble. And if he doesn't want a 1-year deal, that's a-ok with me, because I'm pretty sure that one of Perezhogin or Kostitsyn can score as many goals as he can. They may not have as much experience to offer in terms of a two-way game or doing some of the "little things" that Sykora would, but it's not a lot of skin off my teeth to just let them learn.

i agree i'd be much more interested in a short term contract, but i can only see that happening if no other team shows interest in sykora causing him to make major concessions and desperate to sign with any team. i believe that there's going to be a better crop of forwards available in next years unrestricted market, so i don't think we should link ourselves to a big ugly contract like the rest of these GM's. sit back and let them overspend like crazed mad men this year, so we can sign guys like briere for 4 million next year.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:11 PM
cazawaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Sykora - 3 years $9 million
Poti - 2 years $5 million

(the amounts are total value of contract, not per year amounts)

This according to Michel Villeneuve on CKAC (yeah I know ...)

I read this on Habfans, so please dont shoot the messenger.

If this is true, I dont care either way. It's just signings which will allow us to deal off players now.

At least the whiners will now be happy .... YAY, We signed someone.
If this is true, good signing

cazawaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:13 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
I still don't get why we wouldn't sign a veteran now. It's not costing us any assets. Should we start the season with a 37 mill payroll and sit on the money until we feel we are cup bound ? I wouldn't sacrifice any of our young player in a trade but on the UFA, it's free !! Let's assemble the best team possible and then we'll see if we are contenders or not

And then what happens when we have to give Markov, Souray [if he's here], Rivet, etc. all sizeable raises?

That's why we don't just throw money at anyone who's willing to take it, you have to be strategic about the whole thing. If we sign Shanahan for 4m let's say, it's safe to say we have to find a place to put Zednik or Souray or Aebischer to soften the cap blow so we aren't in trouble next year like the Devil's are this year.

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:13 PM
couris

Canadienssybilly writes "According to Michel Villeneuve from the 110% TV sports show in Quebec, the Habs would've signed forward Petr Sykora to a 3 year, 9.9 Millions contract and Tom Poti to a 2 year, 5 Millions contract. More to come..."

***?

Old
07-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Canadienssybilly writes "According to Michel Villeneuve from the 110% TV sports show in Quebec, the Habs would've signed forward Petr Sykora to a 3 year, 9.9 Millions contract and Tom Poti to a 2 year, 5 Millions contract. More to come..."

***?
Is this the post from chfans or wherever??

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:15 PM
couris

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/

Old
07-05-2006, 01:16 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Is this the post from chfans or wherever??
the same thing was posted on hockeytraderumors.com

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Bryzga lol*

Those contracts seem a bit hefty...but I'll gladly welcome them to the habs. Yes they have many cons, but I see more of an upside with these guys because of their past history than I do with Zednik and Bulis.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:28 PM
gusfring

I like Sykora, not Poti.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:32 PM
LeHab

Has anyone here actually heard Villeneuve on CKAC or is it like the Zherdev TSN rumour ?

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Sykora would be brought in for offense, not defense. Poti is as good as Souray defensively, if not better. Souray is better offensively but Souray is a very tradeable asset. One I believe Gainey will use.
Except Souray also is the better overall player, provides intensity and toughness, and gives us O from the D. Which was lacking for some time in Montreal.

I wouldnt mind Sykora, although im not high on him, but screw off with Poti.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316 View Post
Except Souray also is the better overall player, provides intensity and toughness, and gives us O from the D. Which was lacking for some time in Montreal.
You're right Souray is the better player. I never intended to say otherwise. But if we are going to get a top 6 player, then we are going to have to deal a guy like Souray.

A positive about Poti though...he has a shiny stick.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:52 PM
NewHabsEra*

First Poti is atrocious, I like our top 6 better...

Second, didnt Gainey say we wouldnt sign any other defenseman if he could agree on a deal with Bouillon?

Also, I dont see Sykora fitting in the line-up well...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
First Poti is atrocious, I like our top 6 better...

Second, didnt Gainey say we wouldnt sign any other defenseman if he could agree on a deal with Bouillon?

Also, I dont see Sykora fitting in the line-up well...
yes, he did say that...but if Souray is on his way out, like rumours have it, then Gainey might actually be looking for a replacement

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:01 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Sykora - 3 years $9 million
Poti - 2 years $5 million

(the amounts are total value of contract, not per year amounts)

This according to Michel Villeneuve on CKAC (yeah I know ...)

I read this on Habfans, so please dont shoot the messenger.

If this is true, I dont care either way. It's just signings which will allow us to deal off players now.

At least the whiners will now be happy .... YAY, We signed someone.
People have to start recognizing garbage when they come across it and ignore it.
How can anyone believe that Bob is stupid enough to do this?

Just think of what happened in this year's first round loss to Hurricanes...I would think that Bob has learned a thing or two from that debacle...these two are not the players that Bob is going after, esp. at those prices.

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:05 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake View Post
I can't believe Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau, two of the hardest players that have played the game for the Habs, when they think of building a winning team and looking for some players to go in that direction think of ......TOM POTI AND PETR SYKORA!!!
Of course they won't. This is Villeneuve's way to bash Gainey and claim he's lost it and is panicking because of the ultimate power of the media. Only to bash him again when no one signs at all.

Some of you would truly believe anything.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

Sykora plays at right wing. There's no room for a right wing on the first two lines. Zednik is still a Hab. Putting two and two together, it means the lines would look like this:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Zednik-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Perezhogin-Plekanec-Sykora
Murray-Bonk-Bégin

Now about that Zednik-Ribeiro-Kovalev line ...

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Duff88

Am I missing something or have you guys not noticed Sykora signed with Calgary?

EDIT: You can all point at me and laugh now; it was Friesen and not Sykora...

Last edited by Duff88: 07-05-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:23 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post
This is totally besides the point it's...uh no wait. Signed eh?

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post
link?

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote