HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How much difference do modern skates make?

Old
07-05-2006, 02:19 PM
derbyfan

vCash: 500
How much difference do modern skates make?

I'm in my early thirties, and when I started playing (1979), I was already using the "new" design of skate (I think my first pair were the old "Micron" plastic boot!).

Just a couple of years before me however, players were using the "old" style skate, with a fully exposed blade and next to no padding.

Since I've never skated on those, just how substantial is the difference?
Does it go a long way towards explaining why players from the 70's and before often looked like it was a challenge just to stay upright?

derbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:36 PM
justsomeguy

Was speaking to a veteran who played in the 50s and 60s last night. His take is that the support that present day skates provide at the cost of reduced flexibility prevents players from strengthening their ankles through skating.

Reduces maneuverabilty and makes for a lot more "knock-kneed" skaters, guys who may have some speed when going in a straight line but can't shift or turn all of that well.

I learned to skate with the old leather boots and wa never any good. Still not any good with my new-fangled boots but at least my ankles don't scrape on the ice anymore. Am not and have never been blessed with either speed or maneuverability so i can't say that my game has been affected/thwarted by my choice in skates. The problem goes deeper than that.

justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:42 AM
derbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Was speaking to a veteran who played in the 50s and 60s last night. His take is that the support that present day skates provide at the cost of reduced flexibility prevents players from strengthening their ankles through skating.

Reduces maneuverabilty and makes for a lot more "knock-kneed" skaters, guys who may have some speed when going in a straight line but can't shift or turn all of that well.

I learned to skate with the old leather boots and wa never any good. Still not any good with my new-fangled boots but at least my ankles don't scrape on the ice anymore. Am not and have never been blessed with either speed or maneuverability so i can't say that my game has been affected/thwarted by my choice in skates. The problem goes deeper than that.

That's a very interesting take. I actually thought it would be the OPPOSITE - today's skates offer much more maneuverability, able to shift and turn faster due to more ankle support.

Old
07-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Alpine

Well for what it's worth....I stuck to my old CCM Tackleberries "Tacks" leather boot tube skate with the rocker blade long after synthetic boots and blades in holders came out. It just seemed the leather boot shaped to your foot better and tube skates sharpened better.
Now I was never a hot prospect mind you and I adjusted to the new technology. But you know to this day skates just feel too high off the ice. I can't explain it, but the extra height for the blade holders just never felt the same as old tube skates with the rocker blades

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:22 AM
kold

I would assume that the decreased weight of modern skates also has a lot to do with increased speed and agility in the present day game.

I also think that the increased stiffness of skate boots these days help shifty players turn their bodies and legs in different directions, helping them make sharp direction changes and fakes...

kold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 01:22 PM
RUSqueelin

The last pair of skates I bought was - I'm guessing 1990ish. I got back on the ice a year ago and also went into a sporting goods store where I picked up a few of the newer skates. Wow, I couldn't believe how light they were compared to mine. And I don't consider my skates to really be that old. The newer skates would obviously help you move your feet faster, thus skate faster.

As far as ankle mobility, I never did understand how people could tape up their ankles. I always preferred being able to have flex at my ankles thus being able to move around the ice similar to moving around in running shoes on a court. Did someone imply that the new design of skates doesn't allow for ankle mobility? I would find that hard to believe.

Just more fun, they should take the stars of today and have them play in a charity game but have them use old time equipment for the 70's. That would be an eye opener.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Kenadyan

Other than weight and comfort, the main difference I see is how the "newer" skates protect the foot and ankle from a puck.

If you have a boot made of Kevlar, for example, which is used in bullet-proof vests, it will distribute the impact of a puck shot off your foot/ankle so that it doesn't sting as much. At least that is how is it suppose to work.

Kenadyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 05:51 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSqueelin View Post

Just more fun, they should take the stars of today and have them play in a charity game but have them use old time equipment for the 70's. That would be an eye opener.
I like this idea! Just watch Kovalchuk dance around...in 1970 CCM Super Tacks that lifted your foot an extra inch of the ice! With a Northland log of a stick, and the Rally Bobby Orr gloves that were so popular!

It is amazing how much the equipment has changed in the past 20 years. For many years, skates stayed about the same, gloves were about the same, breezers were the same, etc. Once the Tuuks came out in 1978, things started to change. I remember in 1983 when Christian Bros. came out with the first aluminum shaft/blade stick. People were laughing at it! But now look....

I'm not sure today's players COULD play a game in the old equipment. It was so different from what they have grown up with, it would take them a few weeks to get used to it. AND they'd all get hurt! Remember the shoulder pads that were just 2 plastic cups with a little piece of leather holding them together? THAT'S what we wore when I played. Now they are suited up like linebackers in the NFL!

Anyway, great idea.

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 01:56 PM
derbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10 View Post
I like this idea! Just watch Kovalchuk dance around...in 1970 CCM Super Tacks that lifted your foot an extra inch of the ice! With a Northland log of a stick, and the Rally Bobby Orr gloves that were so popular!

It is amazing how much the equipment has changed in the past 20 years. For many years, skates stayed about the same, gloves were about the same, breezers were the same, etc. Once the Tuuks came out in 1978, things started to change. I remember in 1983 when Christian Bros. came out with the first aluminum shaft/blade stick. People were laughing at it! But now look....

I'm not sure today's players COULD play a game in the old equipment. It was so different from what they have grown up with, it would take them a few weeks to get used to it. AND they'd all get hurt! Remember the shoulder pads that were just 2 plastic cups with a little piece of leather holding them together? THAT'S what we wore when I played. Now they are suited up like linebackers in the NFL!

Anyway, great idea.
Thanks for the insight...
As for the skates Jiggs, what were the major differences in your opinion, what was it like trying to skate on those old things?
(I feel like I'm asking my grandad 'Tell me about the old days grandpa')

Old
07-14-2006, 03:27 PM
KariyaIsGod*

This thread is interesting because it is a clear cut illustration of why comparing eras is so silly.

Lends even more credibility to Ogopogo's all-time greatest list base don dominance.

Love the charity game idea too. Wow...

KariyaIsGod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 05:14 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
Thanks for the insight...
As for the skates Jiggs, what were the major differences in your opinion, what was it like trying to skate on those old things?
(I feel like I'm asking my grandad 'Tell me about the old days grandpa')
The old tube skates (or "steel blades") sat a little higher and were ever higher in the back. The leather was not as good as it is now, and the skates got heavy when they got wet. In fact, that's how you broke them in: you soaked a pair of socks, then put on your skates and walked around in them for awhile so they would mold to your foot.

To be fair, when you turned sharply, you didn't catch an edge nearly as much as you do with the Tuuk plastic holders. THAT took some getting used to! But even the skates in the 80's and early 90's had better protection than the old steel blades. And nothing to compare to today's Vapors and the like. But I sure liked the look of the old skates a lot better than today's gaudy crap (hockey skates should NEVER have silver coloring on the sides-black only!), and in fact still have a pair of early 90's Bauer Supreme Classic 100's that I really like. Tough to switch skates when you are on old(er) guy like me! I know the kids these days get new skates every other year, so they don't think much of it. But I grew up having to take a full year to really break in a pair of skates, so I hate to switch very often.

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 07:37 PM
theprogoalie777

Send a message via MSN to theprogoalie777
Modern Skates

The modern skates are so much better, they are alot more protective then the leather or the older kinds of skates and u have more support so u can skate better!!

theprogoalie777 is offline   Reply With Quote