HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

ESPN: FA Winners/Losers

Old
07-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Captain11

vCash: 500
ESPN: FA Winners/Losers

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...t&lid=tab5pos1

"Who are you, and what have you done with the Rangers?

Got to love the discipline shown by New York GM Glen Sather and his main man, assistant GM Don Maloney. The team did not deviate from its plan and overspend on Patrik Elias, who remained in New Jersey. Neither did the Blueshirts blow their bankroll on McKee, although they liked him immensely. Instead, they added two Cup winners from Carolina: skilled forward Matt Cullen, who brings a boatload of character, and rock-solid defender Aaron Ward. After re-signing Martin Straka, the Rangers look to build on their surprising performance of last season with discipline instead of mindless splurging. Kudos."

i love getting kudos

Captain11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 03:54 PM
True Blue

Kudos only go so far. They tried to sign Elias to a $7m/per contract. He turned them down. Ditto on Chara.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 03:55 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain11 View Post
i love getting kudos
What position does he play?

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 07-05-2006 at 04:00 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Kudos only go so far. They tried to sign Elias to a $7m/per contract. He turned them down. Ditto on Chara.
I want to agree with you here, but I really can't. The rebuild should be priority numero uno, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try and sign two players with years to spare who are considered elites at their position. Like Edge says, its all in the asset management, if its done well, then you have a good team with a mix of youth and experience.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I want to agree with you here, but I really can't. The rebuild should be priority numero uno, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try and sign two players with years to spare who are considered elites at their position. Like Edge says, its all in the asset management, if its done well, then you have a good team with a mix of youth and experience.

True, no problem with gunning for Elias and Chara..It's the settling for Cullen and Ward (choice #3 at least) while for a little more cash they would have had a younger and better d-man in McKee..Eh, old arguement...

ANd I don't think they deserve too much kudos because they could have done better meetingt heir needs with all their resources...

Last edited by Larry Melnyk: 07-05-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:43 PM
McRanger

The Rangers looked into Elias and Chara (and as other FA's they didnt sign) as they should have. In fact, it would be stupid and irresponsible of our GM not to at least look into every guy out there that they think would help the team. Now whether the Rangers knew when to stop or they were turned down by the players or simply outbid, is speculation.

Well deserved Kudos all around.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:57 PM
shoothepuck
NY Raiders AMNRL

NY had to make offers on the top players, what they ended up with is a different story, but it seems they knew enough not to go overboard. Other players can be added via trades if they can't fill the holes that were seen in the playoffs.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:19 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The rebuild should be priority numero uno, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try and sign two players with years to spare who are considered elites at their position. Like Edge says, its all in the asset management, if its done well, then you have a good team with a mix of youth and experience.
I am not disagreeing with that. All I am saying is that right now, the board is flooded with "The Rangers have shown such great restraint" themse. When, in reality, that is just not true. They were just turned down by the players at whom they threw A LOT of money at.
Believe me, I was all for signing Chara or Jovo or the like.

Old
07-05-2006, 06:25 PM
CJB

Quote:
I am not disagreeing with that. All I am saying is that right now, the board is flooded with "The Rangers have shown such great restraint" themse. When, in reality, that is just not true. They were just turned down by the players at whom they threw A LOT of money at.
To an extent they did hold a degree of restraint...its possible if they didnt they could have showed them(Elias, Chara etc...) the money like they did to Holik. But that quote is exaggerated.

CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:34 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB View Post
To an extent they did hold a degree of restraint...its possible if they didnt they could have showed them(Elias, Chara etc...) the money like they did to Holik. But that quote is exaggerated.
I think any team with the cap space tryed to bid on players that were YOUNG and proven over a few seasons that they are at the top of their positions.

It's the fact that when they didn't get them that they had restraint in throwing that money at another player. It was either the two best at their position (Free agents) or a cheaper servicable player.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:03 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Restraint came in the form of not going beyond what they thought certain FAs were worth. That in and of itself is a clear indication of where the kudos should go.
Overpaying is not on the menu. I am sure that there will come a time when we will be willing to overpay, but right now that player hasn't hit the market.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:03 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
you are correct sather has settled for players that were way down on his list.

natureboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:06 PM
CJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Restraint came in the form of not going beyond what they thought certain FAs were worth. That in and of itself is a clear indication of where the kudos should go.
Overpaying is not on the menu. I am sure that there will come a time when we will be willing to overpay, but right now that player hasn't hit the market.
Amen to that

CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:07 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy View Post
you are correct sather has settled for players that were way down on his list.
which is good now since it creates openings for younger players to make the team (staal, imo, dubi, helminen, dawes) come training camp.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:15 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
I think any team with the cap space tryed to bid on players that were YOUNG and proven over a few seasons that they are at the top of their positions.

It's the fact that when they didn't get them that they had restraint in throwing that money at another player. It was either the two best at their position (Free agents) or a cheaper servicable player.
Exactly. The team would have been at fault if it didnt inquire about the top free agents, and in the case of the cream of the crop, talk dollars and cents with them. Seems like everything they did was pretty standard.

Besides, who knows how accurate any of these reports are? Some of it is speculation, the rest is coming from agents and the players.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:18 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
According to whom?Bruce Garrioch?Please.I don't care Chara says.He says the Caps offered him $7 million.Really?Not according to the Washington Post

Quote:
The Capitals also made an offer to sign Zdeno Chara, according to NHL sources, but pulled out of the bidding when the price tag for the franchise defenseman exceeded $6.25 million per season. Widely considered the best free agent available, the 6-foot-9 Chara signed a five-year pact with the Boston Bruins that will pay him $7.5 million a year
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070100929.html

Garrioch is the same individual who floated the Rangers were going to offer Chara $8 million while the Rangers leaked they were going no more than $5-$5.5 million per for Chara

On Sunday Garrioch wrote

Quote:
Last month, Muckler was upset at a report that suggested the Rangers were prepared to offer Chara an average of $8 million per season and the word is the boys on Broadway came close to that figure, but didn't quite go all the way
http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Senato...64194-sun.html

While John Dellapina and Larry Brooks reported the opposite

Quote:
The Rangers were anxious to bolster their defense. But they quickly dropped out of the running for elite defensemen Zdeno Chara (signed by Boston for five years, $37.5 million) and Ed Jovanovski (five years, $32.5 million by Phoenix) and found the bidding for second-tier blue-liners such as Pavel Kubina (four years, $20 million by Toronto), Jay McKee (four years, $16 million by St. Louis) and Filip Kuba (three years, $9 million by Tampa Bay) to be outlandish.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-363947c.html

Quote:
Zdeno Chara, never a serious option, informed the team early in the day that he had no desire to reside in New York
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07022006...rry_brooks.htm

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:23 PM
greasch#4

This is pure speculation

but what if it came down to a no trade clause. Didn't Chara's deal with the Bruins have a no trade clause? I could see why the Rangers wouldn't want to tie themselves up for that many years with no option to trade Chara if his game regressed for whatever reason and with a lot of D prospects set to arrive in the next few years.

greasch#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Fletch

So everything's speculation...

who knows the truth. If the Rangers were willing to pay more than $7MM, I'm not sure if I'd give them kudos, unless you want to give kudos for 20 other teams for not going above $7.5MM per year. Ditto for Elias. Conversely, I can't slam them because perhaps they'd only get a Chara or and Elias for a figure that's far less and for a year or so less in contract. But if they were willing to go several years and $7MM for each, and acquire both, then that's a bit scary.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 11:48 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
I like hearing stuff like that, but it doesn't matter to me. All I wanna hear is the sound of cheers in June next year.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 12:05 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Naming winners and losers four days after the start of free agency is fun and all, but we won't really know who's going to benefit the most until we see these teams perform on the ice. Just look at all the people who picked the Penguins to make the playoffs last year.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 08:33 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Naming winners and losers four days after the start of free agency is fun and all, but we won't really know who's going to benefit the most until we see these teams perform on the ice. Just look at all the people who picked the Penguins to make the playoffs last year.
amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's not forget these are the same writers and "experts" who had the Rangers finishing in the bottom five of the entire league last season.

Besides, you don't build a cup winner through free agency...you do it through your farm system and mid-season/late-season trades by virtue of having a strong farm system...

Remember Quebec? They traded Sundin AND Nolan (two #1 overall picks in their early 20's), plus Thibeault (another 1st rounder), Rucinsky (a former 1st rounder) and Kovalenko after missing the playoffs in 94, getting upset by the Rangers in the playoffs in 95, and getting off to a slow start in 1996, respectively.

Let's just admit that this franchise has finally (hopefully) learned it's lesson and will never aim to acquire high/over-priced talent by free agency.

So don't get too attatched to some of our prospects and young NHL'ers. They're most likely on the move in the next few years.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:13 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
Remember Quebec? They traded Sundin AND Nolan (two #1 overall picks in their early 20's), plus Thibeault (another 1st rounder), Rucinsky (a former 1st rounder) and Kovalenko after missing the playoffs in 94, getting upset by the Rangers in the playoffs in 95, and getting off to a slow start in 1996, respectively.
And then they went on to be one of the NHL's top franchises by both making trades for big players and signing them, as well as developing their own talent.

Old
07-06-2006, 09:26 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
And then they went on to be one of the NHL's top franchises by both making trades for big players and signing them, as well as developing their own talent.
In retrospect, if you think about it, Sundin and Nolan for Wendel Clark and Sandis Ozolinsh, respectively, looks like a crack deal gone bad. But I guess since Clark became Lemieux, they got a Cup out of the deal so it worked out.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 05:54 AM
WheresBarnaby

Am I the only one who thinks the trade for Ward was perfect? The Rangers played it smart, we've added two B guy's for the price of one A. IMO Ward is more like a B+
We don't need #1 guy's to do well. Look at Buffalo for example. I'd rather have consitancy throughout the lineup. I'd rather have a squad of solid B's than A's and C's mixed IMHO.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the trade for Ward was perfect? The Rangers played it smart, we've added two B guy's for the price of one A. IMO Ward is more like a B+
We don't need #1 guy's to do well. Look at Buffalo for example. I'd rather have consitancy throughout the lineup. I'd rather have a squad of solid B's than A's and C's mixed IMHO.
Trade for Ward...?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote