HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Lombardi's performance through the Cloutier trade

View Poll Results: Rate DL's Performance Through The Cloutier Trade
10 (best) -- Stanley Cup, here we come! 1 0.76%
9 4 3.03%
8 11 8.33%
7 31 23.48%
6 11 8.33%
5 15 11.36%
4 18 13.64%
3 4 3.03%
2 3 2.27%
1 (worst) -- This team is never going to win anything 14 10.61%
Seriously, I have no opinion at this time, even preliminary. 20 15.15%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Game Misconduct

vCash: 500
Lombardi's performance through the Cloutier trade

Sure, he's just getting started. Sure, it's too early for a definitive evaluation. But surely you guys have formed some preliminary impressions . . .

Game Misconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:18 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

More questions than answers.

Is it a rebuild? A retool? A mish-mash of pieces that they hope will fit?

I can honestly say I have absolutely no idea what direction this team is headed in *on paper*. I'm assuming (hoping) that it will become clear at the start of the season, but for now - this seems to be a bit messy.

The Kings have an absolute GLUT of 3rd-4th line players, yet no trades we're making are having any of those players moved. They also have no totally defined top line from what I can gather.

We are thin on defense, so it's not too surprising we're not moving any of our d-men, but we also are paying a LOT for that position in Miller, Norstrom, Blake and Sopel. Other teams are doing more with less. DL isn't seeming to be terribly stingy with his resources.

We have something on the order of 10 goalies in the Kings system at present. Where are they all going to play? We're also giving up draft picks for players we don't have a need for, which totally mystifies me.

- T

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

i voted 3

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1027
First impressions are....this guy isn't afraid to take a risk, and that this team is far, far from complete. I also don't think he wants many European players on this team, or at least the guys with that "lazy" attitude that many believe is indicative of them.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
There should be a "way too early" option

Old
07-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn View Post
There should be a "way too early" option
There is!

Look, as I indicated in the first post, it's obviously too early to have any definitive views. But I voted 3 because I can't figure out what he's trying to do and I think he overpaid for Cloutier, Thornton and McCauley.

I reserve the right to later say he's a hockey genius.

Game Misconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:39 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowMix View Post
i voted 3
shocking, really.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:41 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
shocking, really.
i dunno, you think its too high?

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:43 PM
VisionQuest*

I gave him an 8. Here's the short version on why.
Signings: minimum years. no overpayment for ANYONE, didnt look for "quick fix" or patchwork players. Got gritty character guys that are leaps and bounds personality and playability-wise over guys like "E-Bel" Avery or Armstrong. The Blake signing was happening REGARDLESS of who the GM was. That was in the works long ago.
Trades: Demitra's ability to lead and push this team into the 7th or 8th spot to only be bounced once again is easily, EASILY tradeable for a prospect with a higher upside than Demitra, that is also a decade younger. Cloutier for a second round pick?? Good, naye, EXCELLENT gamble. Cloutier has plenty of talent and will push Garon for the starting job.
Draft: All future, baby. Loving it.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

I'm giving him a 7.

Old
07-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Osprey

I just want to say that I don't like that this poll was created only two hours after the most controversial move. It should've waited until after emotions had cooled down. Sorry, GM, but I feel strongly that it's unfair to conduct polls under these circumstances (just look the negative votes).

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
I gave him an 8. Here's the short version on why.
Signings: minimum years. no overpayment for ANYONE, didnt look for "quick fix" or patchwork players. Got gritty character guys that are leaps and bounds personality and playability-wise over guys like "E-Bel" Avery or Armstrong. The Blake signing was happening REGARDLESS of who the GM was. That was in the works long ago.
Trades: Demitra's ability to lead and push this team into the 7th or 8th spot to only be bounced once again is easily, EASILY tradeable for a prospect with a higher upside than Demitra, that is also a decade younger. Cloutier for a second round pick?? Good, naye, EXCELLENT gamble. Cloutier has plenty of talent and will push Garon for the starting job.
Draft: All future, baby. Loving it.

I'd say you are more right than wrong here. For the last few years there have been some nice stories with players such as Armstrong and others who had never performed at the nhl level before they got to LA. They now have character guys that have had success at the nhl level. Are they short a legit top 6? They have been. Good job so far imo, but still incomplete. 5

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 05:02 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I just want to say that I don't like that this poll was created only two hours after the most controversial move. It should've waited until after emotions had cooled down. Sorry, GM, but I feel strongly that it's unfair to conduct polls under these circumstances (just look the negative votes).
I agree, though I voted way too early, would like to see if DL has any more deals in the making.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Goallum

The downfall of last year's team was the lack of character. All he's done is try to bring in character guys who can play. We need to keep top forward spots open for our kids. So far so good, as far as I'm concerned.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofCrunk View Post
First impressions are....this guy isn't afraid to take a risk, and that this team is far, far from complete. I also don't think he wants many European players on this team, or at least the guys with that "lazy" attitude that many believe is indicative of them.
Well that is the biggest difference between Taylor and Lombardi......Taylor would wait for the perfect deal to present itself and when it didn't would pick up some leftovers.

Lombardi doesn't have any fear about pulling the trigger on a deal.....as this and the Demitra trade have shown ..........he doesn't wait for a better deal to present itself at all.

It almost appears like Taylor over-considered his options while Lombardi spends little to no time considering the alternatives.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Lombardi doesn't have any fear about pulling the trigger on a deal.....as this and the Demitra trade have shown ..........he doesn't wait for a better deal to present itself at all.
That's the main concern that I have.

Old
07-05-2006, 05:22 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
We are obviously going to the Cup with Cloutier/Conroy. Anyone who cant see that is pretty much dumb.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:00 PM
KingsFan7824

I'm willing to give Lombardi more than a week to create the team he wants.

The Kings needed a defenseman, almost got Chara, but then turned to Blake. Maybe his time in Colorado made him a better leader, we'll see. He's still got the shot from the point, can still play a ton of minutes.

McCauley was loved by Shark fans apparently. A finalist for the Selke in his last healthy year. Not a terrible one-two punch in that regard with Conroy.

Thornton, also loved by Shark fans apparently, is what he is. Big, tough, rugged 3rd line winger. Will he still be good for 10-15 goals?

Willsie, also is what he is. Tops out as a 3rd line guy.

Cloutier could be key, or he could explode. He only has a year left, correct? What's the harm?

Lombardi is a builder. Obviously the Kings had lockerroom issues last year. Before the Kings get anything done, they need to actually show up. If all the Kings do is show up next year, that's fine. That's quantum leaps more than what they did last year, especially in the stretch run when they were somehow still in it.

Who knows what to expect. If the Kings get an attitude, and the young guys continue to grow, Cloutier plays with something to prove, you never how far they could go. At the same time, the goaltending could fall apart, age could catch up to a number of players, and the young guys could prove to be not yet ready to lead the team in terms of offense. Either way, I'll give Lombardi some time. They hired him to remake the franchise into a winner. If it ever happens, the final pieces probably won't be added in the first week of July 2006.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
He's done a good job with a few moves. Some of these players are guys DT would have never thought of signing and he definetaly wouldn't have had the balls to trade Demetra at the draft

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Matt13

I gave it a 7 because I could really dance to it.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:20 PM
razzy

LA needs grit, character, size, leadership and players that make other players accountable to the team. Blake and Thornton are perfect fits ( Cloutier also big time) and so would Shanny. They will enable the Tukonens, Kopitars, Browns, Gleasons et all to develop into good pros through mentoring. These guys would not let what happened last year happen. I also believe that a healthy Deadmarsh and Allison would have been monumental towards DT proving himself as a GM.

razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 06:45 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
nothing personal Scott, but this is a REALLY stoopid poll... as you can see, the whole 1-10 scale thing just doesn't work when you are dealing with this type of situation. (Excellent/Good/Fair/Poor may have been a wiser choice.)

But, the real answer to the question of his performance may not come until 2008... and by then, well, let's just say that most of these people will have bleeding ulcers

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 07:11 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Does this count against my SAT scores?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Quattro

I gave him a 4.

I hate the Demitra trade. Blake is ok and I give him credit for going after Chara, Elias and Luongo. The rest of his signings are meh. I get the feeling he's a bit in over his head and is getting schooled by better/more experienced GMs. I still have a wait and see attitude at this point.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Mindcircus

There's just no way to tell if he's doing a good job or not. These guys haven't played one game for us yet. What if the guys he's signed all have good to great years? Then he looks like a genius. If these players don't do much other than be Armstrong 2, and 3 then everyone will probably jump off that well known bridge... again.

We'd all like some sort of legitimate top 6 forward, but it's probably not going to happen. Maybe since expectations are lower this year, the Kings will be a surprise.

Just maybe...

I do believe that the Kings will have a better year than last though. Not much of a consolation prize i know, but you have to start somewhere.

Mindcircus is offline   Reply With Quote