HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading or Signing?

Old
07-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Moester

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Trading or Signing?

It seems to me that the Habs are probably better off standing pat unless they can sign a utility player like Pecca for cheap. The best bet would be to wait until mid season and then put Aebisher on the block to a team like Colorado, Florida or Detroit who'll probably need a second Goaltender. Or shop some of our young talent to teams like Boston, New Jersey or Pittsburgh who might need some depth/young speedy players to balance out their lineups. That way we could get a more expensive and skilled player for a lot less than it would be to draft. I think that we'll probably be looking at a buyer's market once the season starts and some of the teams start looking for more depth and less of a dominating first line.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 09:04 PM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
It seems to me that the Habs are probably better off standing pat unless they can sign a utility player like Pecca for cheap. The best bet would be to wait until mid season and then put Aebisher on the block to a team like Colorado, Florida or Detroit who'll probably need a second Goaltender. Or shop some of our young talent to teams like Boston, New Jersey or Pittsburgh who might need some depth/young speedy players to balance out their lineups. That way we could get a more expensive and skilled player for a lot less than it would be to draft. I think that we'll probably be looking at a buyer's market once the season starts and some of the teams start looking for more depth and less of a dominating first line.
I dont want Theo back as a 2nd goaler.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 09:55 AM
tri color

Trading Or Signing

I think Gainey should or should have signed some key free agents and then trade Abby, zednik and ribiero ribiero for draft picks. By trading these 3 guys you make cap room to sign free agents plus you will pick up extra draft picks to stock up on future talent. A move like this would strengthen todays team and at the same time it would keep us compettitive in the future.

tri color is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:05 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
I don't think we need any utility players. We may need a good 2nd line centre but that's about it. If we can get a gmae breaking winger, that would be fine as well. But other than that, no thanks.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
I don't think we need any utility players. We may need a good 2nd line centre but that's about it. If we can get a gmae breaking winger, that would be fine as well. But other than that, no thanks.
I agree, but I don't think we'd really get a guy like that from free agency. We had to trade for Kovy and I'm pretty much convinced that we never would have signed him as a free agent. I think that we'll see a big trade mid way through when teams start realising that signing the big name free agents just doesn't do it for you. Look at Pittsburgh and the Rangers the past 5-6 years...last season excluded. There'll be someone out there looking to offload a superstar for some youth and depth and Montreal will have both the depth players and the cap space to scoop one up.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote