HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBS Sportsline FA team grades

Old
07-06-2006, 10:30 PM
DarthSather99

vCash: 500
CBS Sportsline FA team grades

Quote:
The old days of outspending everyone are gone, keeping the Rangers from getting Elias away from the Devils and reportedly a few others. But two former Carolina players were solid pickups. Defenseman Aaron Ward will add an important presence along the blue line and center Matt Cullen will produce more than Steve Rucchin, who left for Atlanta. Grade: B

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/9543138

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 10:34 PM
bk3nj

I'm inclined to agree.. I think both are underrated, solid pickups, neither of which was terribly expensive. My only gripe is that Cullen's deal was 4 years instead of 3.

Also, take a look at the Devils (not to hijack the thread).. they get an A+! Of course, I'll have to defer judgement on that until after we see what Lou does for Gomez and Gionta.. If he has any leeway at this point.

bk3nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:22 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The Devils an A+ ?

What a joke...spent the whole time trying to keep their players from leaving instead of improving the teams weakness. And in the end they will lose key players for mis-managing the cap.

Always have been impressed with the Devils Organization, but that's a superficial grade imo.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2006, 11:27 PM
boredmale

It probably would be nice if he waits to see how Boston does this year before giving them an A. With the guys they signed and mone they spent they can be anywhere from A to F.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Just to show the devils bias in this article...

Montreal was given a C- because "all they did" was re-sign top priority Cristobal Huet

Meanwhile the devils resign their top priority (at a pretty steep, but competetive rate) and they are given an A+

Not that this guy's ratings really mean much, just wish the coverage of the sport was a little better quality in general

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:13 AM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Sandstrom 28 View Post
Just to show the devils bias in this article...

Montreal was given a C- because "all they did" was re-sign top priority Cristobal Huet

Meanwhile the devils resign their top priority (at a pretty steep, but competetive rate) and they are given an A+

Not that this guy's ratings really mean much, just wish the coverage of the sport was a little better quality in general

His ratings are based on how the teams did regarding improving their team, INCLUDING re-signing their own. I think re-signing Elias and Langenbrunner deserves an A+, especially since Elias could have gone anywhere he wanted to go and was being lured by several teams. How many BIGTIME UFAs stayed with their team this past week?

Wouldn't you think the Rangers would have deserved an A+ if they re-signed Jagr (and another key player) if he was a UFA?

I think the Devils did an awesome job of keeping their own, something that unfortunately doesn't happen a heck of a lot these days, with players signing on-year deals and then leaving, which sucks.

Boston did a ton to imporve their team, especially since they traded away 1/2 of their scoring last year. Wouldn't you think they deserved a bit of credit and a good rating?

Just for the record of you stating his "devils bias" in the article, he's a Rangers fan...

RangerJoe

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe View Post
His ratings are based on how the teams did regarding improving their team, INCLUDING re-signing their own. I think re-signing Elias and Langenbrunner deserves an A+, especially since Elias could have gone anywhere he wanted to go and was being lured by several teams. How many BIGTIME UFAs stayed with their team this past week?

Wouldn't you think the Rangers would have deserved an A+ if they re-signed Jagr (and another key player) if he was a UFA?

I think the Devils did an awesome job of keeping their own, something that unfortunately doesn't happen a heck of a lot these days, with players signing on-year deals and then leaving, which sucks.

Boston did a ton to imporve their team, especially since they traded away 1/2 of their scoring last year. Wouldn't you think they deserved a bit of credit and a good rating?

Just for the record of you stating his "devils bias" in the article, he's a Rangers fan...

RangerJoe
I couldn't have said it better man.

07-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
His ratings are based on how the teams did regarding improving their team, INCLUDING re-signing their own.
How can it be said that the Devils improved their team when several key players are unsigned and Lou is almost out of cap room? At this point, the grade should be "incomplete" at best.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Tomas Sandstrom 28

Quote:

RangerJoe

I'm not saying the Devils didn't do well in re-signing elias and their other FA's, and they deserve praise for dealing with thier cap issues, but how did they get into that situation in the first place?? I think putting themselves into a difficult situation like that should be taken into account.

I guess my only real issue with this particular article is just the inconsistency, like the montreal example i mentioned. All in all, its just one man's opinion, and thats fine.

I think in general grading a teams offseason, or draft for that matter, is kinda pointless anyway until after we know how those players turn out in the future, then you can go back and say "that was an A+" move

Tomas Sandstrom 28 is offline   Reply With Quote